HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - Edm

Old
02-09-2011, 12:35 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Tor - Edm

to Tor:

Cogliano

to Edm:

Gunnarson

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:37 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

ehhhhhh, i dunno.

We need top 6, and im really not sure if Cogs is that, but i am a fan of his

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

why?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Ementy

I proposed this before in a thread, Toronto fans generally accepted the deal, some took a extra 4th round from EDM to do this.

with that said i'd rather keep cogs, he's on a tear right now, and is our next Marchant, good defernse, speed, plays the corners well and has offensive potential

Gunnarson is not the type of Dman we need, I was just going on value when I proposed it.

Ementy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:38 AM
seanlinden

No interest whatsoever on Toronto's front. Gunnarsson is a pretty valuable defenceman to anchor our 3rd pair next year as we'll most likely have to ditch Komisarek for a forward. Cogliano isn't the calibre of centre we need.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Ementy

Isn't cogs from the T dot, maybe he'd play better there, he's playing well now with 3rd 4th line minutes and duties (Hence the point production decrease) Which in my mind is the oilers trying to maintain cap.

Old
02-09-2011, 12:56 AM
last row purple

If Kaberle re-signs in Toronto, I would think about it.
I like Gunnar alot. He is very smart with the puck... especially in OT.
Cogs has struggled in Edmonton and probably needs a change of scenery.
I think the Oil would have to throw something else in to make it work.

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:02 AM
htpwn

I'd rather keep Gunnarsson then add yet another bottom six forward to a team with too many.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:02 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Cogs has been playing the last 2 or 3 games with Hall, and Eberle and has 4 points in 3GP. As Oiler fans have been saying all along - put Cogs with some talent(sorry Mrs. Stortini, Moreau, MacIntyre, O'Sullivan, ect) and he'll produce

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Ementy

I'm not trashing TO, but...Cogs would deservingly make your top line, compared to what you got, you have NO right to trash or belittle him.

Old
02-09-2011, 01:21 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ementy View Post
I'm not trashing TO, but...Cogs would deservingly make your top line, compared to what you got, you have NO right to trash or belittle him.
Cogliano vs Bozak would be a lateral move at best. At least Bozak can win a draw -- infact, he's actually pretty good at it averaging 54.4% which is a respectable 23rd in the league amongst regular centres.

Just because he'd challenge for a spot on our top line doesn't mean he'd be a player that we'd want to trade for. One of Toronto's bigger problems is that their top line centre is nowhere near good enough. Cogliano isn't going to be the significant upgrade we need, and if we're not getting a significant upgrade, it makes sense to stick with Bozak and sign a veteran UFA. The worst centre that we'd pursue from Edmonton is Sam Gagner.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-09-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old
02-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Ementy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Cogliano vs Bozak would be a lateral move at best.

Just because he'd challenge for a spot on our top line doesn't mean he'd be a player that we'd want to trade for. One of Toronto's bigger problems is that their top line centre is nowhere near good enough. Cogliano isn't going to be the significant upgrade we need, and if we're not getting a significant upgrade, it makes sense to stick with Bozak and sign a veteran UFA. The worst centre that we'd pursue from Edmonton is Sam Gagner.
HE IS AN UPGRADE, even on bozak. And he can play the wing it's not like it's center or nothing he's barely even played center in the NHL other than this year. on the 3rd/4th line. we simply just have too much talent to give the guy a fair shot.

with that said, I'd rather keep him.

Old
02-09-2011, 01:31 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
HE IS AN UPGRADE, even on bozak. And he can play the wing it's not like it's center or nothing he's barely even played center in the NHL other than this year. on the 3rd/4th line. we simply just have too much talent to give the guy a fair shot.

with that said, I'd rather keep him.
No, he's really not. One of Toronto's biggest issues is that Bozak is the only player capable of winning draws consistently for them. Toronto doesn't need a ~42% faceoff guy logging significant minutes. Whether or not he can play wing is irrelevant. The last thing Toronto needs is another 5'10 185lbs winger.

Cogliano has had plenty of opportunity to develop in Edmonton. The quantity of talent ahead of him really isn't much in terms of quality... yet he's had 3 straight years of declining performance. This year doesn't look to be anything special either. If you think he'll eventually turn it around, then by all means keep him. I'm not trying to convince you that you should trade him for garbage that Toronto would offer for him, I'm simply saying that if Toronto's going to trade for a centre, it must be at bare minimum a proven top 6 guy. As such, we'd have no interest in a guy like Cogliano.

Old
02-09-2011, 01:37 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
No, he's really not. One of Toronto's biggest issues is that Bozak is the only player capable of winning draws consistently for them. Toronto doesn't need a ~42% faceoff guy logging significant minutes. Whether or not he can play wing is irrelevant. The last thing Toronto needs is another 5'10 185lbs winger.

Cogliano has had plenty of opportunity to develop in Edmonton. The quantity of talent ahead of him really isn't much in terms of quality... yet he's had 3 straight years of declining performance. This year doesn't look to be anything special either. If you think he'll eventually turn it around, then by all means keep him. I'm not trying to convince you that you should trade him for garbage that Toronto would offer for him, I'm simply saying that if Toronto's going to trade for a centre, it must be at bare minimum a proven top 6 guy. As such, we'd have no interest in a guy like Cogliano.
So he has less value to the weakest forward corps in the NHL than a 24yo healthy scratched Dman to one of the most expensive blue lines in the league?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Ementy

I'll never understand toronto fans. First Jfried seriously saying kaberle can fetch crosby. (glad that has ended) and now this sort of thing....

Old
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
last row purple

Quote:
Even if he made our top line, he wouldnt be successful. He had been next to invisible until he was put on a line with Hall and Eberle. The Leafs do not have a Hall or an Eberle.

He would be a waste of space on the Leafs top line. Id rather keep Gunnar

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
So he has less value to the weakest forward corps in the NHL than a 24yo healthy scratched Dman to one of the most expensive blue lines in the league?
Who has more "value" is irrelevant. Trades are about making each team better.

The only reason Gunnarsson was a healthy scratch tonight is because Toronto is trying to make some use of Brett Lebda who they made the mistake of signing. He's a valuable defenceman to us because he is the only cheap guy on one of the most expensive bluelines in the league, and when we have to clear a big salary in the offseason (see Komisarek), will anchor our 3rd pair likely alongside Keith Aulie or Jesse Blacker.

Cogliano does very little to help this team, and the roster spot which would occupy for Toronto would be much better allocated to a veteran centre who at the very worst can win faceoffs.

Quote:
I'll never understand toronto fans. First Jfried seriously saying kaberle can fetch crosby. (glad that has ended) and now this sort of thing....
I'd love to hear your explanation for where you think I said that? If you have the ability to remember that, you'd know that it was in the context of his NTC. If a player refuses to waive his NTC, it doesn't matter what is offered for him.

To understand Toronto fans, you'll have to understand that we have absolutely no desire to add 3rd line forwards.

Last edited by seanlinden: 02-09-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old
02-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Ementy

Quote:
Who has more "value" is irrelevant. Trades are about making each team better.

The only reason Gunnarsson was a healthy scratch tonight is because Toronto is trying to make some use of Brett Lebda who they made the mistake of signing. He's a valuable defenceman to us because he is the only cheap guy on one of the most expensive bluelines in the league, and when we have to clear a big salary in the offseason (see Komisarek), will anchor our 3rd pair likely alongside Keith Aulie or Jesse Blacker.

Cogliano does very little to help this team, and the roster spot which would occupy for Toronto would be much better allocated to a veteran centre who at the very worst can win faceoffs.

I'd love to hear your explanation for where you think I said that? If you have the ability to remember that, you'd know that it was in the context of his NTC. If a player refuses to waive his NTC, it doesn't matter what is offered for him.

To understand Toronto fans, you'll have to understand that we have absolutely no desire to add 3rd line forwards.
I honostly do remember those days, and you'd even say stuff like 2 firsts and a prospect.. You're a prettttttty bad homer sometimes, which sucks because as a poster you have potential.

Old
02-09-2011, 02:49 AM
shizan

No good from Edmonton. Worst case scenario you get a proven NHL player who has NEVER missed a game in Cogliano. Look at what hes played through this year. This is Gunnarsson's first full year in the league and is struggling to crack the line-up. He might be good but is still unproven. Cogs is 23 and his next game will be his 300th. Say what you will about his stats, he must be doing something right if hes got that many games under his belt already. If the Oilers trade Cogliano they will regret it especially for a guy like Gunnarsson.

shizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:06 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

No deal from the Leafs.

Cogliano wouldn't fit into our top 6 (would rather keep Bozak for the job) and if he isn't in the top 6, we can't really trade for him. I'm not saying there isn't a spot for him on our team, but the Leafs can't afford to go and spend assets on bottom six players, especially at the cost of Gunnarsson.

Toronto is heavy on expensive defensemen. Gunnarsson is cheap, plays very well, and has great upside. Currently he is stuck on the bottom pairing, and even swapped for Lebda here and there for who knows why, but we simply can't trade him. In the even that one of Komisarek/Kaberle/Beauchemin is traded, Gunnarsson will be able to step into their role. He is a pretty versatile defenseman, and that is something that is pretty valuable to the Leafs.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:22 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Compared to what we got?

Who do you mean?

Kulemin? On pace for 30 goals.
Grabovski? On pace for 33 goals.
MacArthur? On pace for 25 goals.
Versteeg? On pace for 21 goals.
Kessel? On pace for 28 goals.

Our biggest hole is not depth players, we got a ton of them. What we need is top line talent. A number one center like Richards or a number one power forward. Cogliano does not fit this description and is a similar player to Bozak at this time (Read: He's redundant). Doesn't mean we won't take him on our team, but certainly not at the cost of an asset that we really don't need or want to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
We are quite happy with Gunnarsson. He was out of the line up tonight because Lebda had not played in a while and needed to get into a game. Unfortunately salary does play a role and because Gunnarsson is on his ELC, he got scratched. Ideally, Komi would have been, but that $4.5 million salary pretty much dictates that he has to play.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote