HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers-Bruins Rivals

Old
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
puckingawesome

vCash: 500
Flyers-Bruins Rivals

What do you guys think? Flyers vs Bruins big rivals?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...ory?id=6103814

Quote:
A rival can be defined in many ways. It can be a divisional foe that you battle through the regular season and over the years. It can be an opponent from a heated playoff battle. It can be a team against whom you seek vengeance for an on-ice incident.

But no matter the circumstances, matchups with a rival generate heightened excitement and emotion. The Boston Bruins have had many rivals throughout their 86-year-old history, but who most gets the blood boiling these days? We will argue for three organizations, then let you have the last word.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-09-2011 at 05:39 PM.
puckingawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 05:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
Certainly a rivalry intensified by the uncommonness of last year's PO series. The two were archrivals in the 1970s and into the early 1980s but the decrease in avidity was a result of 32 years without meeting in the post-season. There have been samplings of antipathy distributed over time but nothing prolonged as comparison to Montreal-Boston or Flyers-Rangers/Devils/Penguins.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:04 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I know a fair amount of Boston fans, and let me tell you they hate the Flyers. Especially when I continuously bring up last years playoff results ;p

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I know a fair amount of Boston fans, and let me tell you they hate the Flyers. Especially when I continuously bring up last years playoff results ;p
i have found the opposite to be true,

with that being said, i see the bruins as a respectable foe. unlike the pens and canadiens, where the hate is unconditional, i dont mind the bruins as a team. but if they stand between the flyers and the cup, **** em.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
TheLegendkiller

Its only cause the Big Bad Bruins got replaced by a much more badass and rougher version of themselves aka The Broadstreet Bullies.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

The Winter Classic could also be fodder... and would be even more so had we beat them... I find it more of a friendly rivalry over the years, but edged a little nasty after the Jones hit and the awful way the last PO series turned out for them. IMO the rivalry is more against the Flyers than the other way around.

I personally have always liked and respected the Bruins and their fans... and have no real ill feelings towards them.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

no...

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:26 PM
jethro flyer

I think after tonights Montreal-Boston game, the Flyers-Bruins rivalry is looking pretty weak. Way more hatred for Penguins any way.

jethro flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I can't stand a few of their fans. I'm sure I heard the vocal minority, but holy cow did they talk a TON of trash last year.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckingawesome View Post
What do you guys think? Flyers vs Bruins big rivals?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl...ory?id=6103814
For sure...I was in a bar in Boston for game 7 of the POs last year and lets just say I wasn't comfortable showing any sort of enthusiasm for the Flyers.

Speaking of which - on VS last night during the Bruins-Herbs game, the announcers were saying during that same game a bloodied Flyers fan was being taken by way of ambulance from the arena while Bruins fans cheered and booed him...good stuff right there.

In other rivalries, I have been to my share of Devils games, sitting in Flyers sections - even tailgated with the Flyers fans, who scared of the incoming Devils fans, especialyl those wearing Stevens jerseys.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Speaking of which - on VS last night during the Bruins-Herbs game, the announcers were saying during that same game a bloodied Flyers fan was being taken by way of ambulance from the arena while Bruins fans cheered and booed him...good stuff right there.
Whattt NAHHHH! Never happened! Everyone knows only Philly fans would do something that low!

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:29 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I like the Bruins as a team. The only axe I have to grind is with some of their fans.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I like the Bruins as a team. The only axe I have to grind is with some of their fans.
Namely Mike Milbury.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:14 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Namely Mike Milbury.
Jack Edwards too.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:19 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Feels like a rivalry to me; they are imo the biggest obstacle to a scf appearance.

Even over here, I have a good buddy whose family came from Boston and they are die hards. We talk hockey at every party and give each other a bunch of ****.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:46 PM
BernieParent

Boston has looked like they've all ridden a time machine back to the 70s for the last few games.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:33 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Feels like a rivalry to me; they are imo the biggest obstacle to a scf appearance.

Even over here, I have a good buddy whose family came from Boston and they are die hards. We talk hockey at every party and give each other a bunch of ****.
Call me crazy, but the biggest hurdle the Flyers have to face is beating the Penguins in the playoffs. Boston comes next.

Old
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Call me crazy, but the biggest hurdle the Flyers have to face is beating the Penguins in the playoffs. Boston comes next.
Maybe. We can't seem to beat the freakin' Lightning, but I think playoff hockey might be a little shocking for them.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
chaosof99*

I don't think the Flyers have any more a rivarly with the Bruins than with any other team, though I see potential for one. Only having met them once in the playoffs in more than 25 years will do that.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:46 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Maybe. We can't seem to beat the freakin' Lightning, but I think playoff hockey might be a little shocking for them.
I could see it, like the 2008 Habs. Iirc the Habs owned us during the season but Philly dumped them on their ***** in the semifinals.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:24 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
About a month or so ago, I had a dream (or a nightmare) that the SCF was between the Bruins and Blackhawks. Suffice to say, I doubt that will be the scenario, but I think Boston is going to be tough in the playoffs HOWEVER, i do feel that Thomas is going to drop down to earth in the near future, and if that does happen (saw glimpses of it against Montreal - high glove side)...then I think we SHOULD be the favorite for the east, however some fluky play here and there could have us go otherwise. But, Tampa is playing with the superhuman Roloson, I am beyond certain that will not last, so I dont think they are going to go as far as people are thinking.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:06 PM
infidelappel*

I really don't think the Flyers/fans view Boston as a rival. The series last year was a great comeback win, and the games this year have been intense but there are far more bitter wars ongoing...namely against Pittsburgh.

If we meet Boston this year, I expect things to intensify. Especially if they were to beat us (which is possible, but god forbid if it happens). I think another playoff meeting will be what ratchets it up to a true rivalry, but right now it's one-sided.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:24 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
About a month or so ago, I had a dream (or a nightmare) that the SCF was between the Bruins and Blackhawks. Suffice to say, I doubt that will be the scenario, but I think Boston is going to be tough in the playoffs HOWEVER, i do feel that Thomas is going to drop down to earth in the near future, and if that does happen (saw glimpses of it against Montreal - high glove side)...then I think we SHOULD be the favorite for the east, however some fluky play here and there could have us go otherwise. But, Tampa is playing with the superhuman Roloson, I am beyond certain that will not last, so I dont think they are going to go as far as people are thinking.
Then there's also this Rask guy who's pretty good at goaltending too.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Justified
Amaro out

I just dislike Boston sports teams in general.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Then there's also this Rask guy who's pretty good at goaltending too.
Wasn't that the young gentleman who was on the bad side of the last four scores of the 2010 Eastern Conference Semifinals?... Just sayin'.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote