HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I've come around on the Montoya subject.

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2004, 08:08 PM
NYR2

vCash: 500
I've come around on the Montoya subject.

I really like this guy a lot, he seems like a GREAT person and really wants to be in NY which is cool. I love that he loves wearing red white and blue and representing his country. I wasn't happy they used that pick to get a goalie, and I'm still not but I think that's just cause I hate Sather with a passion and he can't do anything right in my eyes lol, but I'm happy he's here and I hope he does really well.

<--- You can see I like him, I took down Jeter for him.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Skroob*

i will admit, its hard not to like a guy.

they only way that i can be completely happy about this though is that if something about Blacky really is being hidden from us.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Prucha73

So let's say all 3 of our top goalies have a great next season, then what do we do? Who do we trade? Do we try to get Tukonen from LA?

Old
06-28-2004, 08:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
I really like this guy a lot, he seems like a GREAT person and really wants to be in NY which is cool. I love that he loves wearing red white and blue and representing his country. I wasn't happy they used that pick to get a goalie, and I'm still not but I think that's just cause I hate Sather with a passion and he can't do anything right in my eyes lol, but I'm happy he's here and I hope he does really well.

<--- You can see I like him, I took down Jeter for him.
Yeah, I agree. He's got a star quality to him, and he wants to play in NY, rises to the occasion in big games and loves Mike Richter. Yeah, the kid was meant to play goalie on the big stage at the Garden.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:35 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
So let's say all 3 of our top goalies have a great next season, then what do we do? Who do we trade?
Since none of them are playing in the NHL next year, we don't trade any of them. None of the three gets traded until the team finds out which is the best NHL goalie.

As I wrote when the Rangers just drafted this kid, the real payoff on this pick is in five years. That's when the team might have a surplus of NHL-caliber goalies and one can be dealt. Dealing one before we find out which is the best NHLer among them is a shortsighted bit of gratification.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
So let's say all 3 of our top goalies have a great next season, then what do we do? Who do we trade? Do we try to get Tukonen from LA?
No, when Columbus can't afford Rick Nash, and Pascal LeClaire is realized to be a bust, we package one of them to trade for that top forward we need.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Since none of them are playing in the NHL next year, we don't trade any of them. None of the three gets traded until the team finds out which is the best NHL goalie.

As I wrote when the Rangers just drafted this kid, the real payoff on this pick is in five years. That's when the team might have a surplus of NHL-caliber goalies and one can be dealt. Dealing one before we find out which is the best NHLer among them is a shortsighted bit of gratification.
Blackburn could be playing in NHL as soon as next season, if there is a next season. Maybe Montoya is 5 years away from impact, but the other 2 are further along I think.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Skroob*

Quote:

as i said in another therad, i'm not one to spread rumors, but from someone i know who has a contact with the club, Blackburn is the odd-man out.

Trading one right now makes no sense. We will not get back in a trade equal value for what that pick was worth. Its just the nature of drafts. The pick wil hold more value than the player drafted at that spot, as having the pick means having options. Having the player means that a decision has been made and you have to live with it.

Only if one of those players REALLY stands out down the road will you get equal or better value.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:49 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
as i said in another therad, i'm not one to spread rumors, but from someone i know who has a contact with the club, Blackburn is the odd-man out.

Trading one right now makes no sense. We will not get back in a trade equal value for what that pick was worth. Its just the nature of drafts. The pick wil hold more value than the player drafted at that spot, as having the pick means having options. Having the player means that a decision has been made and you have to live with it.

Only if one of those players REALLY stands out down the road will you get equal or better value.
Yes, right now Blackburn seems like he is the odd man, but what if he has a monster season with the Wolfpack? And what if Montoya has an average year? Islanders made the wrong decision and traded away the better goalie, will we do the same I wonder?

Old
06-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Barnaby

We'll probably know who the odd man is in 3 years. Easy Prucha... no trading our blue chip goalies yet!!

As for Tukkonen? That ship has sailed!

Old
06-28-2004, 08:53 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Blackburn could be playing in NHL as soon as next season, if there is a next season. Maybe Montoya is 5 years away from impact, but the other 2 are further along I think.
1. Sather has already said he wants Blackburn in the AHL next year.
2. Doesn't matter how far away Montoya is; only a fool (glad you mentioned Milbury in your post, saves me the troublew here) would rush into a deal without seeing how all three perform in the NHL and choosing the best of them to keep. Thus, no trade next year even if a miracle happens and both Lundqvist and Blackburn play for the big club next season.

Old
06-28-2004, 08:54 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
i will admit, its hard not to like a guy.

they only way that i can be completely happy about this though is that if something about Blacky really is being hidden from us.
Yeah, I agree. I'm a big Blackburn fan so I worry how long he's going to be here now. In the end, I just want the best guy for the job.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Yes, right now Blackburn seems like he is the odd man, but what if he has a monster season with the Wolfpack? And what if Montoya has an average year? Islanders made the wrong decision and traded away the better goalie, will we do the same I wonder?
like i also said, a trade isnt going to happen now. Of the three of them, the only team they have a lot of value to is us. Only when one of them proves themselves will that person be valued as something worth giving up assets to acquire.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Onion Boy

What the Rangers should do is deal LaBarbera. His stock will never be higher. LA or Minny might make good trade partners.

Old
06-28-2004, 10:33 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Do we try to get Tukonen from LA?
With all due respect, you have really got to get off the Tukonen kick. Draft's over, dude. We did not take him.

Old
06-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'll take a shot - Blackburn wins the starting job in Hartford, becomes the team MVP and his feel good story of overcoming the injury will only help to improve his value.

2005 draft Sather deals Blackie along with Kondratiev(will play in Russia next year, Europe will be watched closely because of no NHL and he'll standout, improving his stock), a young forward, and 2006 1st for either the #1(Crosby) or #2 pick in 05.

I've had a long 3 days

Old
06-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
What the Rangers should do is deal LaBarbera. His stock will never be higher. LA or Minny might make good trade partners.
LaBarbera hasn't even proved that he can be a solid backup in the NHL much less a starter. LA has already traded for Garon and Minnesota already picked up its "goalie of the future" from the NY Rangers last year and gave him a multi-year contract.

LaBarbera has much more value to the Wolfpack and the Ranger organization next season than he does on the trade market. It probably would be a good thing for Blackburn to have someone around who is more experienced in the AHL and can give him real competition at the position. Blackburn needs to be challenged--as does LaBarbera--and having them together would be more worthwhile than some late round draft pick or marginal prospect that LaBarbera will fetch.

Old
06-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
LaBarbera hasn't even proved that he can be a solid backup in the NHL much less a starter. LA has already traded for Garon and Minnesota already picked up its "goalie of the future" from the NY Rangers last year and gave him a multi-year contract.

LaBarbera has much more value to the Wolfpack and the Ranger organization next season than he does on the trade market. It probably would be a good thing for Blackburn to have someone around who is more experienced in the AHL and can give him real competition at the position. Blackburn needs to be challenged--as does LaBarbera--and having them together would be more worthwhile than some late round draft pick or marginal prospect that LaBarbera will fetch.
Good argument and well-taken. To be quite honest, I have no idea what a player like LaBarbera could fetch on the open market. In my eyes, Labs is a marginal prospect and I'd have no problem flipping him for a forward prospect of equal talent. I guess no deals will be made until the new CBA becomes clear. However, I don't see LaBarbera anywhere in the Ranger's plans down the line, nor should he be, and figured we'd be best off trading him now immediately after his AHL MVP honors. But this isn't something worth harping on. Keeping Labs in Hartford to push Blackburn (assuming that he makes a full recovery) is probably not a bad idea.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger

I really don't think that's fair to Labarbera. He set the AHL record for shutouts and was named AHL MVP. And now we're going to turn around and say, "Wow, you were phenominal last year. Now just take a step back."? If he can't move up after the year he had (or at least keep the same spot), then we should do him a favor and move him somewhere else.

BTW, if it's Blackburn and Labarbera in Hartford next year, there's no guarantee that Blackburn gets the lion's share of the time, especially if Labarbera picks up where he left off last year. McGill is there to develop talent, but he's also supposed to develop a winning team.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
My quick opinion: Labarbera should be backing up Dunham this year.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I really don't think that's fair to Labarbera. He set the AHL record for shutouts and was named AHL MVP. And now we're going to turn around and say, "Wow, you were phenominal last year. Now just take a step back."? If he can't move up after the year he had (or at least keep the same spot), then we should do him a favor and move him somewhere else.

BTW, if it's Blackburn and Labarbera in Hartford next year, there's no guarantee that Blackburn gets the lion's share of the time, especially if Labarbera picks up where he left off last year. McGill is there to develop talent, but he's also supposed to develop a winning team.
IMO , if Blackburn is healthy he should get the majority of the ice time at Hartford and Labarbara should be traded. I agree that keeping him in Hartford as a backup or even splitting time with Blackburn is a 'step back' for him. His value won't be any higher than it is now IMO.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
With all due respect, you have really got to get off the Tukonen kick. Draft's over, dude. We did not take him.
1. we have Tukonen's linemate in Korpikoski
2. Kings wanted a young goalie, not Tukonen, they probably would be interested in any of our 3 young goalies.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
1. we have Tukonen's linemate in Korpikoski
2. Kings wanted a young goalie, not Tukonen, they probably would be interested in any of our 3 young goalies.
have you ever seen tukonen play?
have you ever seen montoya play?

dude its over the rangers didn't get tukonen. how do you know the kings wanted a goalie?

Old
06-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
have you ever seen tukonen play?
have you ever seen montoya play?

dude its over the rangers didn't get tukonen. how do you know the kings wanted a goalie?

Stop asking stupid questions. Everybody knew that Kings wanted a goalie, Montoya to be exact. Did you watch the draft?

Old
06-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Everybody knew that Kings wanted a goalie
.....and got one. Mathieu Garon. It's over!

Closed Thread