HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Bogosian for Bodker?

Old
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
kingbrutis

vCash: 500
Zach Bogosian for Bodker?

Looks like Bods is not going to get a real shot unless another injury comes into play. Rumors are flying about Zach. If we could add him for Bods and a pick, I'd love it.

Could you imagine Zach, Yandle, and OEL as the future D men? Holy ***** man. -15 is hard to swallow, but the guys talent is thru the roof and ATL is so inconsistent.

Thoughts?

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

While Bogosian would be a fantastic addition and would add a strength and physical element to the Coyotes future d-corp, it would be adding from an area of depth/strength (defense) at the expense of an area of weakness (offensive forwards).

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I think we need Boedker to pan out more so than to add another good young d man.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:49 PM
hao chi

I think we're pretty much set on young defensemen.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
kingbrutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I think we need Boedker to pan out more so than to add another good young d man.
While I agree with you guys, the chance to get an elite young D man is far harder to come by than a forward. I could easily see our D with 60+ goals next year.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
The question remains though, can Boedker pan out here? Will Tippet ever really give him a chance?

I understand that if a player earns it, Tippet will let them play and give them minutes but when Tippet means "earn it" he means be a solid defensive player. What if Boedker cannot develop beyond a pure offensive player? In Tippet world offensive ability is at most icing on the cake but it's certainly not coveted much less required.

Basically it seems that if you are unable to develop a defensive game, you simply will not play for Tippet.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:19 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I would do it in a hart beat, our present DLine is not spectacular, many nights (i would throw in DeMo into the trade) I know the fans love his speed, but Boed doesn't work here, he has been given many chances, he is a one trick peony IMO

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I would do it in a hart beat, our present DLine is not spectacular, many nights (i would throw in DeMo into the trade) I know the fans love his speed, but Boed doesn't work here, he has been given many chances, he is a one trick peony IMO
I don't think that's at all a fair assessment of Boedker but I do question whether or not he can be the kind of player Tippet demands that he be.

That's the downside to Tip's coaching philosophy. He will be very harsh on an offensive player who struggles to be defensive but he won't be harsh on a defensive player who struggles with offense. Now combine that with Boedker being a youngster and well, like I said, I don't know if he'll ever be able to fit his game into the only mold Tippet will accept.

Old
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I don't think that's at all a fair assessment of Boedker but I do question whether or not he can be the kind of player Tippet demands that he be.

That's the downside to Tip's coaching philosophy. He will be very harsh on an offensive player who struggles to be defensive but he won't be harsh on a defensive player who struggles with offense. Now combine that with Boedker being a youngster and well, like I said, I don't know if he'll ever be able to fit his game into the only mold Tippet will accept.
I'm not sure where you got this idea that Boedker is an elite offensive prospect. He has not proven that at all in the NHL, that's for sure. He was also known to be pretty solid in his own end, always has been looked at as a two way player.

I think his lack of time isn't due so much to his poor defensive play, as it is to his lack of offensive impact in the games he did play.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
While I agree with you guys, the chance to get an elite young D man is far harder to come by than a forward. I could easily see our D with 60+ goals next year.
I haven't seen Bogosian play recently, but I remember last year he was getting some consideration for the Olympic team. You can never have enough D, but I think a scoring forward for the future is a much more glaring weakness right now.

Quote:
The question remains though, can Boedker pan out here? Will Tippet ever really give him a chance?

I understand that if a player earns it, Tippet will let them play and give them minutes but when Tippet means "earn it" he means be a solid defensive player. What if Boedker cannot develop beyond a pure offensive player? In Tippet world offensive ability is at most icing on the cake but it's certainly not coveted much less required.

Basically it seems that if you are unable to develop a defensive game, you simply will not play for Tippet.
I think Boedker is a fine two way player, and would be shocked if he doesn't end up be a very good player one day. There are times when I doubt wether or not we are going to get our full offensive potential in our young players because of such a strict system, but winning is nice.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
gollybass

Im more worried about the center position as far as depth and youth is concerned rather than defence, with stone, goncharov and gormley coming through we have quite a bit of size back their.

What do we have at center? Tik?

Saying that I had suggested bogosian a couple weeks back! Ah how fun to contradict yourself.

Last edited by gollybass: 02-09-2011 at 07:11 PM.
gollybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
DesertDawg

I don't see how Boedker will help the Thrash make the Playoffs this season. If I was Atl's GM, I would want a top young 2 way center, force a bigger trade (Sopel, Bergfors, Bogosian or at least trade Sopel and Bergfors 1st), and increase the probability of making the playoffs...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
lespaul89

Quote:

You make it sound like Tipp hates offensive players. I don't believe his thought pendulum is completely leaning on defensive players. I think it has more to with consistent effort and production.

lespaul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis19 View Post
I'm not sure where you got this idea that Boedker is an elite offensive prospect. He has not proven that at all in the NHL, that's for sure. He was also known to be pretty solid in his own end, always has been looked at as a two way player.

I think his lack of time isn't due so much to his poor defensive play, as it is to his lack of offensive impact in the games he did play.
Elite offensive prospect are your words not mine, that's likely why you're confused where I get the idea.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul89 View Post
You make it sound like Tipp hates offensive players. I don't believe his thought pendulum is completely leaning on defensive players. I think it has more to with consistent effort and production.
I wouldn't use the word hate at all, I'm just saying he's very pro defense. He will accept defense at the expense of offense but not the other way around.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Waldo

Boedker has shown to be a good AHL player. He's got decent offensive ability but is not an elite scorer in the AHL. For that matter, Mac is a better scorer than Boedker butis not an elite AHL goal scorer either. What I would like, though, is for them to get their NHL chance to actually get some extended playing time. It's getting to be that point in their development where they should get their shot. I don't want to see them traded. However, I don't really see any elite scoring by any of our prospects yet.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Boedker has shown to be a good AHL player. He's got decent offensive ability but is not an elite scorer in the AHL. For that matter, Mac is a better scorer than Boedker butis not an elite AHL goal scorer either. What I would like, though, is for them to get their NHL chance to actually get some extended playing time. It's getting to be that point in their development where they should get their shot. I don't want to see them traded. However, I don't really see any elite scoring by any of our prospects yet.
Agreed. The only player in recent memory who showed that "it" factor was Mueller and we all know how that turned out (for the Coyotes).

Old
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I agree with alberta yote...wouldn't be a terrible trade but i wouldn't do it.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:14 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
I wouldn't use the word hate at all, I'm just saying he's very pro defense. He will accept defense at the expense of offense but not the other way around.
It is that very philosophy that Tippett used when he was in Dallas and was trying to mould Loui Eriksson into the NHL player he is today.

We can only hope the likes of Turris and Boedker respond in similar fashion and eventually their natural offensive skills will shine through with a new found defensive conscience.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
It is that very philosophy that Tippett used when he was in Dallas and was trying to mould Loui Eriksson into the NHL player he is today.

We can only hope the likes of Turris and Boedker respond in similar fashion and eventually their natural offensive skills will shine through with a new found defensive conscience.
Actually, I believe he didn't want to play Eriksson and was told he had to by the GM. Perhaps i'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:30 AM
MP

This is mostly speculative on my part, but does anyone think part of the problem might lie with their development to this point?

High-end prospects spend most of their formative years in junior leagues in which they're often among the best players on the ice, if not the best. They got to where they are mainly by "doing their thing." That kind of experience may put their first pro coaches in the position of having to teach them how to function truly as part of a professional-level team.

So what if Tippett feels he needs to address something along those lines with Boedker before he can trust him with a ton of minutes?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis19 View Post
Actually, I believe he didn't want to play Eriksson and was told he had to by the GM. Perhaps i'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
Yeah, a new GM was brought in and he told Tippett to do that.

I'm pretty sure that many observers shared Tippett's opinion of Eriksson's readiness. I definitely remember an article where it was despairingly wondering if Eriksson would ever "get" the North American style of play.

If you look at Eriksson, Neal, Benn, Grossman, etc many of the young Stars under Tippett played one full year in the AHL before graduating into the NHL. That development system is exactly what many HFers consider the best method.

As for the trade I dont think Boedker alone is going to attract much interest for Bogosian - there has to be something significant attached. A 1st rounder or someone like McLean or Goncharov.

Gwyddbwyll is online now   Reply With Quote