HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Setoguch for Gologoski?

Old
02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Seto for Gogo has always sounded good on paper but it doesn't make the team better to open up a hole up front. While we've added Eager and Wellwood and they're doing well to create offensive pressure on the third line so far, moving Setoguchi significantly slows down the team and tapers the physicality the forwards bring overall. Those are things Ferriero can't replace.

Value-wise, it's fine. I can understand the logic of making the trade. It doesn't make sense to open one hole to fill another unless you have another deal out there that can actually fill in for Setoguchi and what he brings.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:28 PM
ThorntonFan19

vCash: 500
id rather keep seto. We already have Demers and Braun. Really no dire need for Gogo

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:30 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Value-wise, it's fine. I can understand the logic of making the trade. It doesn't make sense to open one hole to fill another unless you have another deal out there that can actually fill in for Setoguchi and what he brings.
Yet anyone would trade Setoguchi for Seabrook. That creates one hole while filling in another does it not? While I know that's an exaggeration and Goligoski is no Seabrook, you said yourself that the value of Setoguchi and Goligoski are the same. Not all trades can work so perfectly.
And I still don't agree with SJeasy. Goligoski and Braun are not on the same level.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Yet anyone would trade Setoguchi for Seabrook. That creates one hole while filling in another does it not? While I know that's an exaggeration and Goligoski is no Seabrook, you said yourself that the value of Setoguchi and Goligoski are the same. Not all trades can work so perfectly.
And I still don't agree with SJeasy. Goligoski and Braun are not on the same level.
Trading for Seabrook is not feasible now. Trading for Goligoski is feasible now. There's a big difference in the timing context. I wouldn't trade what is needed to acquire Seabrook right now either. I would in the off-season but not now.

Old
02-09-2011, 07:37 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Trading for Seabrook is not feasible now. Trading for Goligoski is feasible now. There's a big difference in the timing context. I wouldn't trade what is needed to acquire Seabrook right now either. I would in the off-season but not now.
Then what would you do now? The only feasible option right now would be Greene (who can probably be had for picks), but even then, it doesn't hurt to have more puck-moving defensemen. Pitkanen has been talked about since the off-season, but I seriously doubt Carolina is going to deal him considering they're still in the playoff race.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
we don't need any more puck movers.. and Greene is an unlikely move (NJ has a chance to make playoffs and they've been playing well since Lemaire returned).

the team still hasnt played its best hockey (which is a good thing). maybe the defense is playing over its head, but Thornton/Marleau/Heatley can be better.

i'd like to see DW just stay with what we have now, but we all know he can't do that. i'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesnt make any moves. i like Seto, and i don't have much faith in DW's judgement anymore.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Then what would you do now? The only feasible option right now would be Greene (who can probably be had for picks), but even then, it doesn't hurt to have more puck-moving defensemen. Pitkanen has been talked about since the off-season, but I seriously doubt Carolina is going to deal him considering they're still in the playoff race.
I honestly don't know what's out there. If Kaberle was willing to play in San Jose, I'd be for acquiring him depending on the price. Greene, as you said, is another player I would not mind having here. If Wideman were available from Florida, I'd be for that. Martinek wouldn't be a terrible acquisition.

Other than them, there's nobody that is a fit for what we need unless it's with someone in contention. As you said, Pitkanen is unlikely to be available. I would have targeted Ian White as well. Hejda with Columbus if they fall out. In terms of rentals, that's pretty much it as guys that I feel would fit to an acceptable degree.

If none of those options pan out, trade nothing and bring up Braun while moving Demers up the depth chart and give him some more responsibility. I would not want DW trading for someone that is not a PMD at this stage. Yeah, you can get Phillips to log a lot of minutes and play with Boyle but then you're sliding Murray down with Vlasic which means your top four has one reliable guy that can get the puck out of the zone and/or give a consistent tape-to-tape first pass.

Old
02-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
we don't need any more puck movers.. and Greene is an unlikely move (NJ has a chance to make playoffs and they've been playing well since Lemaire returned).

the team still hasnt played its best hockey (which is a good thing). maybe the defense is playing over its head, but Thornton/Marleau/Heatley can be better.

i'd like to see DW just stay with what we have now, but we all know he can't do that. i'll keep my fingers crossed that he doesnt make any moves. i like Seto, and i don't have much faith in DW's judgement anymore.
How can you say the Sharks don't need anymore puck movers? Boyle and Demers are it. You need at least two in your top four to be quality PMD's and Vlasic, along with Murray, are not that.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
How can you say the Sharks don't need anymore puck movers? Boyle and Demers are it. You need at least two in your top four to be quality PMD's and Vlasic, along with Murray, are not that.
we've beaten some pretty good teams with this "crap" defense. an upgrade on Wallin/Huskins would be huge (and cheap since they suck). Demers can be better, same with Vlasic.

like i said, if the Big-3 steps up their play, this team could do some things in the postseason.

at most.. i'd trade a 2nd/3rd + Huskins/Wallin for a d-man, if they'll take that. which i doubt (thats why i say we should do nothing). i fear DW will trade Seto + 1st for Wallin version 2.0, so nothing looks better to me.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
the most the sharks can bring in at this stage of the season without something going the other way is, 1.6 million.

the sharks only have 527,688 in cap space available.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
StalockSuperfan

The only forward currently on the roster that I'm willing to trade is Mitchell.

What about Babchuk? Could be a cheap rental.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post

Not a puck-mover. And with the way the Flames are going I doubt they'll be sellers at the deadline.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
we've beaten some pretty good teams with this "crap" defense. an upgrade on Wallin/Huskins would be huge (and cheap since they suck). Demers can be better, same with Vlasic.

like i said, if the Big-3 steps up their play, this team could do some things in the postseason.

at most.. i'd trade a 2nd/3rd + Huskins/Wallin for a d-man, if they'll take that. which i doubt (thats why i say we should do nothing). i fear DW will trade Seto + 1st for Wallin version 2.0, so nothing looks better to me.
We've also lost to quite a few teams with this crap defense. Even with our incredible ten game run, the Sharks have only won 30 of 55 games which is only a 54 winning percentage. The team needed a ridiculous ten game run just to get barely above average.

Naturally, the team will only progress as far as the big three takes them but the big three is not going to be there for every series and the team needs to have no holes going and enough talent to fill in production-wise when that happens...not if but when. Now, I think the Wellwood and Eager acquisitions address the depth offense issue but none of that will matter if we go into the post-season with our current defensive pairings. It simply is not going to get the job done in a seven game series against the best teams in the league. We might be able to sneak out of the first round but in a second round series against Detroit or Vancouver, we won't have a fighting chance.

We'll know in 18 days what we're going with and we'll be able to make a better judgment of if we're going to have a legitimate chance. I don't think we do with what we currently have on our blue line. Everything else is good enough for a legitimate chance, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post

In terms of salary, Mitchell is the only forward that we'll be willing to trade. Him and Huskins can bring in a 3 mil defenseman so it's not that they don't have the expendable players to make a move nor the assets off the roster with guys like McGinn or any one of our d-men prospects, and of course our draft picks. It's whether the right guy is available.

Unfortunately, Babchuk is not that guy. He's more of a 3rd pairing trigger guy than a puck-mover. He doesn't log the minutes we need and doesn't have the puck skills we need in our top four. But I'm sure DW will be interested with him since he was on a team that won the Stanley Cup even though he didn't help them in the playoffs. lol

Old
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Trojan35

Anyone saying no to this deal is doing it for sentimental and/or indirect reasons, not because it doesn't improve the team significantly this year and next.

I'm not saying that's wrong as I feel that way about certain players, etc. But I don't see how this trade doesn't happen if it's on DW's desk. Especially if the Sharks could somehow move Huskins/Wallin as the result.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Anyone saying no to this deal is doing it for sentimental and/or indirect reasons, not because it doesn't improve the team significantly this year and next.

I'm not saying that's wrong as I feel that way about certain players, etc. But I don't see how this trade doesn't happen if it's on DW's desk. Especially if the Sharks could somehow move Huskins/Wallin as the result.
I have no sentimental attachment to Setoguchi; in fact it's my opinion that he's very much a headcase and needs to sort things out both off the ice and on it if he ever hopes to return to his 30-goal form. That's not the reason I would be against trading him for Goligoski. It's, as I've stated in this thread, filling one hole by creating another and strips the Sharks of their only real advantage over other Western Conference playoff teams: the ability to ice three scoring lines.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I don't know if a cap dump is needed if it's Seto for Gogo. The salaries are essentially a wash and I wouldn't mind keeping Huskins and waiving Wallin sending him to the A [nobody is going to claim him] and keeping him fresh for the playoffs.

Boyle-Murray
Gogo-Vlasic
Demers-Huskins

With everyone but Huskins returning next season? Sure.
There is no way Wallin is not claimed if he's on waivers. He might suck on the Sharks most nights, yeah, but he's not THAT bad to go unclaimed.

Last edited by Brent Burns: 02-10-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks19 View Post
There is no way Wallin is not claimed if he's on waivers. He might suck on the Sharks most nights, yeah, but he's not THAT bad to go unclaimed.
If someone is willing to claim him, more power to them. I don't see anyone out there that would claim him at 2.5 mil.

Old
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I think there was a strategy to signing Wallin to 2.5m despite how unconventional it would be.

I think DW had the idea that he was going to pick up a new Dman at some point in the season or at the TDL, and then waive Wallin.

If he makes it, great. If not, oh well.

Recall him for playoffs to be the "secret weapon"

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
We're just going to wait until the offseason and sign Ehrhoff, that'll fix things. He's going to be a UFA, right?

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
We're just going to wait until the offseason and sign Ehrhoff, that'll fix things. He's going to be a UFA, right?
He'll ask for too much.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:20 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
He isn't coming back. But it seems like he may not re-sign with Van, either. Which is good. Error is going to get at least $4.5m likely longterm with a NTC. Vancouver can't afford that unless they want to be extremely shallow in the wings for the following years.

I'm all for they signing or not signing him. I really don't care where he signs as long as its not in our division.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
He isn't coming back. But it seems like he may not re-sign with Van, either. Which is good. Error is going to get at least $4.5m likely longterm with a NTC. Vancouver can't afford that unless they want to be extremely shallow in the wings for the following years.

I'm all for they signing or not signing him. I really don't care where he signs as long as its not in our division.
Ehrhoff and Vancouver were hung up on length of an extension that would have been greater than $5mil/year. With the way Nuck dmen drop like flies, they might want to bend a little. Ehrhoff has a huge track record for durability.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Jesus Toews*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Ehrhoff and Vancouver were hung up on length of an extension that would have been greater than $5mil/year. With the way Nuck dmen drop like flies, they might want to bend a little. Ehrhoff has a huge track record for durability.
Could you see Detroit making a play if Lidstrom retires?

Old
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Could you see Detroit making a play if Lidstrom retires?
They'd more likely take him to replace Rafalski if something happened to Rafalski. I have a feeling that they want more defense to replace Lidstrom. Someone like a Hamhuis. I have a feeling they are grooming Kronwall for the Lidstrom spot and then look to replace Kronwall's spot.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:34 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2134 View Post
I believe the Sharks would be better off trading a 2nd and a prospect for a rental Kaberle than trading Seto for Goligoski. Thoughts?
By this time, I'd be down.

Boyle-Murray
Kaberle-Vlasic
Demers-Wallin/Huskins
Huskins/Wallin

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote