HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you pick up/drop at the deadline?

View Poll Results: Which Veterans are gone come deadline day?
Connolly 70 84.34%
Niedermayer 46 55.42%
Grier 27 32.53%
Pominville 8 9.64%
Gaustad 8 9.64%
Hecht 16 19.28%
Lalime 13 15.66%
Rivet 57 68.67%
Other (Name) 3 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-31-2011, 09:52 AM
static80

vCash: 500
Let the purging of the roster begin

It is Feb.
New ownership with a transition management team are set to step in and start the process of putting a competitive product on the ice here in Buffalo.
The inevitable departure of Quinn and Regier are welcomed news by most here in Sabreland.

As the trade deadline draws near, movement is expected.
Regier will stay on until the end of the season to help with the transition, but the personnel decisions will come from Mr. Pegula's transition team.

With this in mind, and Regier's comments on going with youth over veterans along with there chances at a bottom seed playoff spot, the question is, which veterans are going?

The poll is up, multiple choices on this one. Pick your poison, who do you think will be moved, for what and why.

Last edited by static80: 01-31-2011 at 10:01 AM.
static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:57 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Connolly's a goner, IMO.

Rivet isn't listed, and I don't think too many teams would want him, but someone might.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Connolly's a goner, IMO.

Rivet isn't listed, and I don't think too many teams would want him, but someone might.
lol
Nice catch on Rivet jlr, I'll update the poll now.
It really isn't funny that a player is so invisible that a die hard fan such as myself would forget he is on the roster, but in retrospect, he plays invisible, can't post em if I could never see em

Thanks for the catch again.

Last edited by static80: 01-31-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: EDIT: How exactly can I edit the poll?
Old
01-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

I'm confused. Is this who do you WANT to be moved, or who do you THINK will be moved?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't think anyone is going to want Special Glides.

01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I'm confused. Is this who do you WANT to be moved, or who do you THINK will be moved?
Regier had stated they are going with youth over veterans as of now and with the trade deadline looming, I pointed out the veterans (not all of the) to see who the fan base most likely think will be moved by or on deadline day.

Also, I need to edit the poll, but don't know how, to include Rivet.......
Sorry folks, simple internet guy here. Looking for bells and whistles knowledge on the boards and editing a poll.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't think anyone is going to want Special Glides.
Nice Chain, I'd like this to be my sig until he's either off the roster or end of the season .

Old
01-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Edits to poll saved.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:14 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Edits to poll saved.
Thanks Chain.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
ohheyimmark

I think we're stuck in the ugly position of no one wanting the Old Yellers (Rivet, Neids, Grier) and us not wanting to trade Connolly (because it looks like we'd be giving up via reducing our center depth to nothing). Blah.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I think they're definitely trying to move Niedermayer and Rivet now. Whether they find a taker will be another issue. I could see a team taking a flyer on Nieds, since he'll only be owed something like $300k for the rest of the season. You know, Cup winner, yada yada. Rivet will be owed more like $900k, so his contract may be prohibitive. I think they'll hold onto him but not for a lack of trying to move him.

Regarding Connolly, I think they'll move him regardless of their standing if some team gives Darcy his asking price, which I believe will likely be a 2nd rounder and maybe a low-round pick or a mid-to-low-level prospect. If nobody meets Darcy's asking price, and the Sabres are still close to the 8-seed, I could see Darcy (foolishly) holding onto him with the hope that he'll get hot down the stretch. If Buffalo is way out of it, I think his hand will be forced and he'll move him to the highest bidder.

As I've said before, I think the guy they'll look to move is Butler, likely for a middling player around the same age. I joke around about Rob Schremp, but that's the type of deal I could see going down, even if I'd like Buts to be packaged for a player like Sarich. Butler is caught on the wrong end of a numbers game. Leopold, Sekera, Weber, and Morrisonn are all LD already ahead of him on the roster. Scheistel is progressing nicely, and it sounds like they like what they've seen out of Gragnani this season, even if Grags will only be a #7D/PPQB who plays just a few games at a time. Crawford is also coming along, and McNabb will be entering the system next season, as well. With each of Sekera, Weber, and Butler being RFA this summer, I doubt they're going to want to give raises to all three. Thus, I think Butler will be the odd man out.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:50 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think they're definitely trying to move Niedermayer and Rivet now. Whether they find a taker will be another issue. I could see a team taking a flyer on Nieds, since he'll only be owed something like $300k for the rest of the season. You know, Cup winner, yada yada. Rivet will be owed more like $900k, so his contract may be prohibitive. I think they'll hold onto him but not for a lack of trying to move him.

Regarding Connolly, I think they'll move him regardless of their standing if some team gives Darcy his asking price, which I believe will likely be a 2nd rounder and maybe a low-round pick or a mid-to-low-level prospect. If nobody meets Darcy's asking price, and the Sabres are still close to the 8-seed, I could see Darcy (foolishly) holding onto him with the hope that he'll get hot down the stretch. If Buffalo is way out of it, I think his hand will be forced and he'll move him to the highest bidder.

As I've said before, I think the guy they'll look to move is Butler, likely for a middling player around the same age. I joke around about Rob Schremp, but that's the type of deal I could see going down, even if I'd like Buts to be packaged for a player like Sarich. Butler is caught on the wrong end of a numbers game. Leopold, Sekera, Weber, and Morrisonn are all LD already ahead of him on the roster. Scheistel is progressing nicely, and it sounds like they like what they've seen out of Gragnani this season, even if Grags will only be a #7D/PPQB who plays just a few games at a time. Crawford is also coming along, and McNabb will be entering the system next season, as well. With each of Sekera, Weber, and Butler being RFA this summer, I doubt they're going to want to give raises to all three. Thus, I think Butler will be the odd man out.
Sound reasoning in this post.
Rivet I'm not sure on. He could be moved.
I'm not so much concerned about the return for players such as him.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

Regarding Connolly, I think they'll move him regardless of their standing [I]if some team gives Darcy his asking price[/I], which I believe will likely be a 2nd rounder and maybe a low-round pick or a mid-to-low-level prospect. If nobody meets Darcy's asking price, and the Sabres are still close to the 8-seed, I could see Darcy (foolishly) holding onto him with the hope that he'll get hot down the stretch. If Buffalo is way out of it, I think his hand will be forced and he'll move him to the highest bidder.

I think the bolded part about Darcy's asking price and his ability to be flexible will come into play. The perception is that more often than not he isnt willing to meet in the middle and would rather hold his cards than move an asset for something he deems too low. Good and bad of course- but that will be key. I am not sure if the status of ownership will make a difference.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
There's still a dozen games to be played between now and the trade deadline. There's still an opportunity for players to turn it up a few notches. Whether there's a house cleaning is going to depend in large part on where the team is in the standings and how well the individuals are playing. Connolly, in particular, could make himself too valuable to be dealt. If Mike Grier has anything left in the tank I can definitely see him picking up his game.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Pengo

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle324845.ece

I'm not sure if that really means anything, but according to that article Regier thinks we can make the playoffs.

I just hope there's no 2nd for Jason Arnott type trades...

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I put down Connolly, Rivet, and Niedermayer as the ones I think we will really try to shop, but I have my doubts that we can find a taker for any of them. Also, if we remain in playoff contention by then I think Regier will hold onto Connolly.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Let the Selling begin!!!

First the whatever you can get Pile
Hecht,Niedermayer,Rivet,Grier

The Draft Pick Pile
Butler,Morrisonn,Montador

The Package Deal
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to LA for Brayden Schenn & Thomas Hickey or
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to Van for Cody Hodgson

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
OpethianSabre20

-Connolly will both be gone. Someone will take a flyer on Tiny Tim because of his talents.

-I meant to hit other when I voted for Rivet. My "other" choice was Butler because for one, he's caught up in a numbers game right now and also, he doesn't really excel in any one area as a defenseman.

-I can see the Sabres holding onto Grier for a playoff run, but if they decide to put him on the market, there will definitely be suitors.

-As far as Nieds being gone goes, I think there could be a team that would take him for playoff depth in exchange for something small like future considerations, which would be fine by me because getting anything for that guy would be a miracle.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
Let the Selling begin!!!

First the whatever you can get Pile
Hecht,Niedermayer,Rivet,Grier

The Draft Pick Pile
Butler,Morrisonn,Montador

The Package Deal
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to LA for Brayden Schenn & Thomas Hickey or
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to Van for Cody Hodgson
Hecht is not nearly the waste that Nieds and Rivet are. Grier hasn't been good, either, but he hasn't been as bad as Rivet and Nieds. Also, Grier controls whether he stays or goes; he has a NMC.

And please pass whatever you're smoking if you believe LA would trade Brayden Schenn and Hickey for Stafford and Connolly.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

does putting them on waivers count?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

It's funny that Montador isn't listed... he's probably the most desired from that bunch.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
It's funny that Montador isn't listed... he's probably the most desired from that bunch.
I actually thought about listing him, but then not knowing the status on his injury I digressed.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
-Connolly will both be gone. Someone will take a flyer on Tiny Tim because of his talents.
No wonders this team is so bad...we have TWO Connollys playing on it!

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:48 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
No wonders this team is so bad...we have TWO Connollys playing on it!
The mythical healthy PPG Connolly, and the real-life underperforming, oft-injured bum.

Works for me.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Was just too tempting to click on all options... so I did.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote