HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Who would you pick up/drop at the deadline?

View Poll Results: Which Veterans are gone come deadline day?
Connolly 70 84.34%
Niedermayer 46 55.42%
Grier 27 32.53%
Pominville 8 9.64%
Gaustad 8 9.64%
Hecht 16 19.28%
Lalime 13 15.66%
Rivet 57 68.67%
Other (Name) 3 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-31-2011, 12:53 PM
static80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Was just too tempting to click on all options... so I did.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
OcAirlines

No Montador is really strange because he would be my first choice. From the others, Connolly is probably the most likely option, Tim for a 2nd at the Deadline would be my guess.
Nobody will want Nieds and Rivet, Grier won't be moved either.
Guys like Hecht and Gaustad will only be traded if a really good offer comes in and i don't see that happening.

OcAirlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think they're definitely trying to move Niedermayer and Rivet now. Whether they find a taker will be another issue. I could see a team taking a flyer on Nieds, since he'll only be owed something like $300k for the rest of the season. You know, Cup winner, yada yada. Rivet will be owed more like $900k, so his contract may be prohibitive. I think they'll hold onto him but not for a lack of trying to move him.

Regarding Connolly, I think they'll move him regardless of their standing if some team gives Darcy his asking price, which I believe will likely be a 2nd rounder and maybe a low-round pick or a mid-to-low-level prospect. If nobody meets Darcy's asking price, and the Sabres are still close to the 8-seed, I could see Darcy (foolishly) holding onto him with the hope that he'll get hot down the stretch. If Buffalo is way out of it, I think his hand will be forced and he'll move him to the highest bidder.

As I've said before, I think the guy they'll look to move is Butler, likely for a middling player around the same age. I joke around about Rob Schremp, but that's the type of deal I could see going down, even if I'd like Buts to be packaged for a player like Sarich. Butler is caught on the wrong end of a numbers game. Leopold, Sekera, Weber, and Morrisonn are all LD already ahead of him on the roster. Scheistel is progressing nicely, and it sounds like they like what they've seen out of Gragnani this season, even if Grags will only be a #7D/PPQB who plays just a few games at a time. Crawford is also coming along, and McNabb will be entering the system next season, as well. With each of Sekera, Weber, and Butler being RFA this summer, I doubt they're going to want to give raises to all three. Thus, I think Butler will be the odd man out.
In all of that you forgot to mention Brennan. The numbers only get worse for Butler at this point. He's an asset and should be traded.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Yeah... I picked all, just because I was able to.

I'm getting kind of tired of this discussion though, I just want the deadline to be over with already. However, I think the one most likely to go is Connolly. This team has played better without him in the line-up every time he went out with an injury this season. He hasn't been an impact player in the slightest all season. In fact, ever since his point streak ended last season, he's been by far the most invisible player on this team. I think ever since that Bucky interview, Timmy has hated Buffalo and just wants to get the **** out of here and start somewhere fresh (though he obviously wouldn't want to admit that, as it would hurt his image).

He's an extremely talented player, and while his game has been hurt a lot due to all the injuries he's had over the years, he can still be an effective top 6 center, as we've seen from him last season before he broke his foot. He was on pace for 70 points last year, that would've been top 15 in the league among centers. He was still in the top 20 for center scoring with 65 points. The year before that he was on pace for 31 goals and 81 points had it not been for injuries. I think he still has the talent, and still has the work ethic somewhere in him, but I think he just doesn't care about playing for Buffalo any more, which is why this team plays better when he's not in the line-up.

What will happen to him? Who knows. He'll most likely play here the rest of the season, end up with around 30-35 points, then sign a cheap contract somewhere else and tear it up the next year.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Dabs21Nike

I think Connolly, Montador, and Butler will be gone. I hope to see Niedermeyer and Rivet gone, but I don't know if there will be any takers. No one will take Lalime so he's here unless he's waived. I think Grier will stick around because I don't see him waiving his no trade clause. If Pominville, Hecht, Gaustad, Stafford, etc are traded, I think those will be more summer time/draft type moves.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I dont think anyone will be gone, however I think we will see a few new faces coming in...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Rivet, Connolly, Niedermayer, and Grier are all gone...

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Pengo

We should trade for Jarkko Ruutu

I know he's disliked in Buffalo but it sounds like Ottawa is basically giving him away and a line with Kaleta and Ruutu would be awesome.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
We should trade for Jarkko Ruutu

I know he's disliked in Buffalo but it sounds like Ottawa is basically giving him away and a line with Kaleta and Ruutu would be awesome.
Ruutu is a guy who brings a level of hatred from other teams right up there with Pat. It would be entertaining at least.

02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I don't think anyone is going to want Special Glides.
Sadly, I think that's true of everyone else listed on the poll other than Pominville. Who in their right mind would want soon-to-be-retirees like Rivet, Grier, Lalime and Niedermeyer - especially when all can be had for a dime in the summer?

If anyone is dealt, I'd bet on Connolly - and even that will probably be a salary dump at best for a draft pick. I doubt he'll attract any player returns from another team.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Was just too tempting to click on all options... so I did.

As did I, plus other.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:39 AM
sabrezombie

Quote:
Ruutu is a guy who brings a level of hatred from other teams right up there with Pat. It would be entertaining at least.
Connolly for Ruutu and Neil? Matched with Kaleta could make one of the most hated lines in hockey ever. As much as I hate Ruutu and Neil, it sure would be entertaining.

sabrezombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrezombie View Post
Connolly for Ruutu and Neil? Matched with Kaleta could make one of the most hated lines in hockey ever. As much as I hate Ruutu and Neil, it sure would be entertaining.
The Sens aren't looking for rentals.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
joshjull

I highly doubt Pommer, Hecht or Goose go anywhere at the deadline. If they get moved its most likely going to happen in the summer.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
Let the Selling begin!!!

First the whatever you can get Pile
Hecht,Niedermayer,Rivet,Grier

The Draft Pick Pile
Butler,Morrisonn,Montador

The Package Deal
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to LA for Brayden Schenn & Thomas Hickey or
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to Van for Cody Hodgson
Quote:
Hecht is not nearly the waste that Nieds and Rivet are. Grier hasn't been good, either, but he hasn't been as bad as Rivet and Nieds. Also, Grier controls whether he stays or goes; he has a NMC.

And please pass whatever you're smoking if you believe LA would trade Brayden Schenn and Hickey for Stafford and Connolly.
Or what makes him think Vancouver would give up Hodgson for those two.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Metssabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
Let the Selling begin!!!

First the whatever you can get Pile
Hecht,Niedermayer,Rivet,Grier

The Draft Pick Pile
Butler,Morrisonn,Montador

The Package Deal
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to LA for Brayden Schenn & Thomas Hickey or
Tim Connolly & Drew Stafford to Van for Cody Hodgson
Quote:
Hecht is not nearly the waste that Nieds and Rivet are. Grier hasn't been good, either, but he hasn't been as bad as Rivet and Nieds. Also, Grier controls whether he stays or goes; he has a NMC.

And please pass whatever you're smoking if you believe LA would trade Brayden Schenn and Hickey for Stafford and Connolly.
Or what makes him think Vancouver would give up Hodgson for those two.

If you go to Vancouver, you may want to ask for defenseman Chris Tanev (not that they would give him up, but he is a stud in the making, another Alexander Edler. Just think, last year, he played in Buffalo's backyard (at RIT) and they didn't go after him.

Metssabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
As did I, plus other.

I forgot to click "other"

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:45 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Hey guys...Canucks fan coming in peace. It seems that Grier is on your **** list this season. We need another 4th liner for the playoffs...just wondering

a. why you hate him so much?, and
b. would a 4th-5th round pick be enough to get him?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Hey guys...Canucks fan coming in peace. It seems that Grier is on your **** list this season. We need another 4th liner for the playoffs...just wondering

a. why you hate him so much?, and
b. would a 4th-5th round pick be enough to get him?
If the Canucks need him and he agrees to waive his NMC, he could be a good fit for limited minutes in a fourth line capacity.

He's good for about one game per week now -- his intensity level seems to have wavered over the course of the season as he isn't going nearly as hard as he has in years past. But he's a proud guy and he showed in last year's playoffs that he can, at least for a series, be someone who can set the tone and play the body as well as check and PK duties. If that's something the Canucks could use, and he's down with the deal, sure... a 4th or 5th would probably be fine.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
If the Canucks need him and he agrees to waive his NMC, he could be a good fit for limited minutes in a fourth line capacity.

He's good for about one game per week now -- his intensity level seems to have wavered over the course of the season as he isn't going nearly as hard as he has in years past. But he's a proud guy and he showed in last year's playoffs that he can, at least for a series, be someone who can set the tone and play the body as well as check and PK duties. If that's something the Canucks could use, and he's down with the deal, sure... a 4th or 5th would probably be fine.
Perfect. Thanks for the response. That does sound like a guy Vancouver could use for the regular season / playoffs to take some of the PK heavy duties away from Kesler.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I highly doubt Pommer, Hecht or Goose go anywhere at the deadline. If they get moved its most likely going to happen in the summer.
If Ruff stays, I doubt Hecht will be moved. Despite all of the frustrations and vents people have with his production vs. paycheck, he gives Ruff flexibility and is versatile enough to be used at any forward position, as well as either specialty team. Hecht may not be able to hit the broad side of a barn when it comes to finishing scoring chances but other than 2 or 3 out-of-character lapses this season, his effort and work ethic are always there.

I think it's more of a case that he's not a top 6 forward and better suited to a 3rd line checking role than a 1st line scorer. Every contender needs those kind of bottom 6 players as much as they need the creative top 6 guys IMO.

As for Pominville or Gaustad, that's a little more curious. Gaustad has gradually played less and less like the physical player he was in his first two years - which reduces his value to little other than a face-off expert. And Pominville's offense has declined ever since Briere left. Neither player is delivering in the role they're most relied on to do. As such, they could be dealt.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 03:35 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by metssabres
If you go to Vancouver, you may want to ask for defenseman Chris Tanev (not that they would give him up, but he is a stud in the making, another Alexander Edler. Just think, last year, he played in Buffalo's backyard (at RIT) and they didn't go after him.
I don't blame Buffalo for not going after Tanev (it's an open question whether Tanev would have picked Buffalo over Vancouver anyway - he has a personal connection with Gagner in the VAN organization). After all, right now Buffalo and Portland is pretty stocked with defensive prospects, both for the current roster and down the road. And I don't think anyone expected Tanev to be NHL ready less than a year removed from Atlantic Hockey.

That said, there are a couple of guys worth looking at on RIT's current roster, and I hope Buffalo is seriously considering looking at them as RIT is an emerging program in D-1 and should only get stronger. One guy is Tyler Brenner - big winger with size and hands, and currently tied for 5th in NCAA with 20 goals in 27 games. Brenner was also at Boston's developmental camp last season as an invite and acquitted himself well.

Of less pressing organizational need is Shane Madolora. I'd be willing to wager he'll be an NHL goalie someday. He's already better than DeMichael was (for reference, DeMikes is showing himself to be a high-calibre ECHL goalie at this point EDIT: not 5 seconds after writing this, I find out DeMikes got called up to Hershey in the AHL ), and he's only a sophomore.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Loungie

Who would you pick up/drop at the deadline?

Only 4 points out of 8th, with a couple games in hand on Carolina and Atlanta. People as of late think the Sabres can sneak into the top 8 now?

Who would you pick up/drop and the trade deadline?

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Pengo

Brad Richards

I'd get a #2 d-man to pair with Myers - Kaberle, McCabe, Pitkanen, Brewer would all be good IMO. And maybe try to get a #3 center - Samuel Pahlsson would be interesting since he has proven to be an excellent shutdown center in the playoffs.

Other than that, try to make a more surprising blockbuster trade (i.e. for a #1 center who isn't a rental).

Also, trade Connolly.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
There are so few obvious sellers right now. Calgary, Buffalo, and Minnesota all looked like sellers a month or two ago, but not anymore. I think they'll trade Butler and try to acquire a center so that Byron can go back to Portland. I think they'll try for Fisher, but Murray will probably not trade him to a division rival.

Trade 1: Butler + 5th for a 3rd

Trade 2: One of their 3rd's for Marty Reasoner

Another relatively quiet deadline.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote