HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/NAS] Mike Fisher for NAS 2011 1st, Conditional 2012 Pick

Old
02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
Good trade for both teams, let the rebuilding in Ottawa start. Nashville might actually win a playoff round this year

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:36 PM
sauce11

does this trade change the outlook the sens management have going into the draft?

are they more inclined to pick RNH or Couturier to fill the even bigger void at center now? (not saying that those two weren't going to be picked by ottawa)

sauce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:36 PM
H2O

vCash: 50
I'll hop on the Nashville bandwagon.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I feel like it's deadline day already...

I wonder if this had anything to do with Carrie Underwood's label being in Nashville... Probably worked out the best for both of them.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Seems like a fair deal. Fisher will fit in pretty well in Nashville. They already were a pain to play against.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:38 PM
ponder

I like Mike Fisher, but this is overpayment unless Fisher returns to his 09/10 form. A good trade for the Sens, kicks off their much needed rebuild. I think they could get reasonable returns for Neil and Philips too, and could get a good return for Spezza if they decide to go that route.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:38 PM
danishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Seems like a steep price for Mike Fisher. On the other hand, I'm glad to see Nashville doesn't have a first round pick since they seem to be Gold in the draft.
nashville has NJ's 2nd.

what's the difference between 20 (or lower, if they go far) and 33 in this draft?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Mike Jones

Gee - I'm shocked. Who saw this coming?

Oh - almost forgot:

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
7th Player

If you guys are interested, here is our take on the trade:
http://7thplayer.com/senators-ship-m...-to-music-city

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pangu

As a Sens fan, I Love this deal. I would have been happy with a fourth round pick. Fisher is highly overrated defensively and he hasn't been able to play with good players. He was one of the worst contracts on a team with a lot of bad contracts. To get a first for him is just absolutely amazing.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Good trade for both teams, let the rebuilding in Ottawa start. Nashville might actually win a playoff round this year
They have quite the defense. Wouldn't surprise me if they win a round or two mostly by shutting the opponent down.

Swedish Puck Mafia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce11 View Post
does this trade change the outlook the sens management have going into the draft?

are they more inclined to pick RNH or Couturier to fill the even bigger void at center now? (not saying that those two weren't going to be picked by ottawa)
That's an interesting point. I sure hope so.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Great deal for Nashville imo...

I think Fisher will be a solid fit, not too mention the residual benefits of the Underwood factor.

Being a team with lots of cap space, even if he's a tad expensive, it's a non-factor for them, and he'll definitely improve their forward group.

If Lombardi makes it back healthy next year, and perhaps Geoffrion comes in and has a solid rookie season, they could be a really dangerous team moving forward.

On the Sens end, I'm not as convinced... the first is good to have, but ultimately it will be a later pick (and probably even later given Fisher's addition), and it remains to be seen what the cond't pick will be.
in any case, not getting an established prospect back in return means that it'll be a few years before the team finds out what they've gotten in return, in the meantime they've lost a key veteran leader/locker room presence, the kind of guy that would probably have been good to have around if they're going to be playing lots of young/new guys next season.

of the assets they have that they can move, I didn't Fisher was a good one to move
(mind you, perhaps his reputation exceeds his actual contributions in the "team/locker room" department... for all we know they're internal evaluation is that he is/was part of the problem this year?)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
4thliner*

1st draft picks in HF are way overrated. I can see how some could overrate a top 4 pick in this year's draft, but a mid 1st round pick at best?

Nashville by the way is slated to be picking 20th as for right now. A player picked at that spot might not even play in the NHL ever, put he can also turn out to be a star if you do your homework and get lucky. But for sure he will be at least 1-3 years away from seeing any NHL action.

Ty Rattie, Ryan Strome, Zack Phillips, Brandon Saad, Vladislav Namestnikov, Matt Puempel, Victor Rask, Sven Bartschi..take your pick

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
zeke
#freewilly

not a bad return for Fisher.

this year's draft is really weak after the top handful of guys, so this is likely equivalent to a 2nd rounder in a decent draft year.

Fisher's overpaid, but he's a solid two-way 2nd line centre (more ideally a 3rd line guy, but still a decent 2nd line guy) with character and grit, and he's locked in for two more years - and Nashville isn't exactly a prime UFA destination, so they likely value that quite a bit, and they have plenty of capsapce so the caphit itself isn't crippling.

But the chances of the pick turning into a player as good as Fisher, even in a few years time, aren't great, and Fisher was one of the few Sens who really loved Ottawa, and always gave max effort.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolider View Post
According to the Sens website, the conditional pick is at least a 3rd rounder. It's only condition is that if the Preds get to the 2nd round it turns into a 2nd round pick.

No offense Preds fans, but I hope you miss the postseason. The higher this years pick the better and the difference between a 3rd round and 2nd round pick is generally minimal.

Clarification would be great on this, but this is what the Senators website currently states. The 3rd round pick is guaranteed.
Really? TSN seemed to suggest that it was only a 3rd rounder if they won a playoff series.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

But what are Mike and Carrie going to do when Nashville is forced to relocate in a few years?

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
danishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Really? TSN seemed to suggest that it was only a 3rd rounder if they won a playoff series.
tsn took the conditions verbatim from the preds release.

my guess is that this gets cleared up in murray's next presser.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
daethfromabove1979

fair deal.. hopefully the preds can get past the first round of the playoffs this year.. they seem to have the worst luck with 1st round matchups but this should help

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
not a bad return for Fisher.

this year's draft is really weak after the top handful of guys, so this is likely equivalent to a 2nd rounder in a decent draft year.

Fisher's overpaid, but he's a solid two-way 2nd line centre (more ideally a 3rd line guy, but still a decent 2nd line guy) with character and grit, and he's locked in for two more years - and Nashville isn't exactly a prime UFA destination, so they likely value that quite a bit, and they have plenty of capsapce so the caphit itself isn't crippling.

But the chances of the pick turning into a player as good as Fisher, even in a few years time, aren't great, and Fisher was one of the few Sens who really loved Ottawa, and always gave max effort.
This year's draft is amazingly DEEP. If anything, it is the top guys that aren't lights out and the fact that there are 4 top players who are as close to as about equal as you can get at the top of the draft. This means teams picking anywhere in the top 4 are picking a sure fire impact prospect who can play in the NHL right away (maybe save Nugen-Hopkins). There is a big drop off 5th and on ward. But even still you can draft elite elite prospects like Ryan Murphy (a better version of Ryan Ellis, Ryan Stome think Connolly with some grit), Doug Hamilton who some compare to Peterangelo and so on.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 02-10-2011 at 12:48 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LePalle

I wouldnt say this was a bad trade for either team. The 1st round pick will be a late pick and Fisher is a decent addition to their lineup. If I was a fan of either team, Id probably be happy about the trade.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Mr. Underwood?
When I saw this trade, this was the first thing that came into my mind... But seriously, Carrie Underwood is one of those most beautiful women on this planet and to go home to her every night would be worth playing in Nashville.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Pretty damn convenient trade location for his wife too.
Man Fisher is ***** whipped

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmBollocks View Post
But what are Mike and Carrie going to do when Nashville is forced to relocate in a few years?
You kidding? She'll be able to buy the friggin team.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Miller Time NYR

Did they move the trade deadline up?!? WTF at this pace deadline day is going to suck.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote