HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/NAS] Mike Fisher for NAS 2011 1st, Conditional 2012 Pick

Old
02-10-2011, 02:23 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

vCash: 500
So, I am guessing Nashville is not done.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
Proven prospects cost more.

Besides, this is Murray we are talking about, he probably thinks he'll be able to pick a good prospect at that spot. I mean, the one thing Murray is good at is the draft.
From my perspective though I thought we wanted to compete for a cup with Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen, Lehner as the foundation... we will be adding one great 18 year old with our 1st... but it's going to take a while for the Preds pick to pan if he ever does.

Say the D are fantastic in three years... I'd rather be going for a cup with forwards 24-26 in there prime then forwards 20-22

When the D are great that's when we need the forwards peaking

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
This is the most hilarious thing I have seen on these boards this year...

What do all of these posts have in common?

1. Directly downplaying the draft and 1st round picks.
2. Leafs fans.

This was hilarious to read you guys. Really, you were the only ones to post this and you are all Leafs fans without 1st Round picks.

One of the best reads in awhile. Couldn't let Ottawa enjoy the trade eh?

Cheers
Why do you always stick your nose into threads unrelated to your team and always take shots at Leafs fans? Do you really have nothing better to do?

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
So, I am guessing Nashville is not done.
That's the feeling that I get, hopefully an offensive upgrade is in the works.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
its going to be hard to move up past #1
They aren't moving their own pick. I meant they could move Nashville's pick along with another asset to move up.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
This is the most hilarious thing I have seen on these boards this year...

What do all of these posts have in common?

1. Directly downplaying the draft and 1st round picks.
2. Leafs fans.

This was hilarious to read you guys. Really, you were the only ones to post this and you are all Leafs fans without 1st Round picks.

One of the best reads in awhile. Couldn't let Ottawa enjoy the trade eh?

Cheers
I'm pretty sure most of the arguments were about the value of mid-round 1sts, not 1sts in general. No reasonable fan, even Leafs fans, would argue that a potential top 5 pick (like the Leafs pick, as you were alluding to) isn't an incredibly valuable asset. "Most hilarious thing i have seen on these boards this year", might be a little bit of a hyperbole.

All in all though, I think it was a fair deal. Ottawa gets a mid-1st and sheds quite a bit of salary and Nasville gets a solid 2-way center who can score 20-25 goals.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

My first reaction was 'Bwah!?!?!' The trade was so obvious it made me oblivious.

When I was doing the math on this, Nashville had the cash to make a move like this, AND sign Weber AND sign SK. I think this predates a move to ship out Ward or Tootoo to deeply solidify this. Attendance is really up. Nashville's getting to a point where the only way they could increase attendance is to pay off the fire marshall.

Also, WHEN the NFL goes on strike there will be a bunch of sports needy fans who want a fix and there will be the Preds with games to feed the sports need.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rakunitz23

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...text|FRONTPAGE

According to Puck Daddy, the original title was 'preds acquire carrie underwood's husband' but now they've changed it to 'mike fisher-carrie underwood's husband'

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Why do you always stick your nose into threads unrelated to your team and always take shots at Leafs fans? Do you really have nothing better to do?
I was reading this thread and listening to fans discuss the trade...

Then the 'draft picks are overrated talk' started. And then it expanded. Then it was in full swing.

So I went back and looked at where it was starting and started quoting the people who were directly downplaying the value of a 1st. You see above who it was. Then I looked at the posters.

I pointed out what a small number of Leafs fans came here to do:

Downplay the draft and the value of Ottawa's trade.

So who was the one in the wrong place here?

I don't pick on Leafs fans. I quoted the fans who came on and starting bickering and condescending towards draft picks. You saw who I quoted.

They even started bringing up stats and percentages regarding draft picks in a damn trade thread!

A majority of Leafs fans see the value in 1st round picks, it is just comical that this many thought they needed to log in and tell the Ottawa and other fanbases that 1st round picks and picks in this years draft are overrated.

Cheers

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post

According to Puck Daddy, the original title was 'preds acquire carrie underwood's husband' but now they've changed it to 'mike fisher-carrie underwood's husband'
True story, that as the original headline. lol

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
From my perspective though I thought we wanted to compete for a cup with Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen, Lehner as the foundation... we will be adding one great 18 year old with our 1st... but it's going to take a while for the Preds pick to pan if he ever does.

Say the D are fantastic in three years... I'd rather be going for a cup with forwards 24-26 in there prime then forwards 20-22

We want to complete for the Cup long term.

That requires as much value as you can get. Taking picks is more risky but holds a higher potential payoff.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Also, WHY? WHY? Does Nashville need picks this year? They already have the best prospect system in the NHL per HF.

Old
02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Solid trade for both teams IMO...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post

It was. I saw it myself.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the arguments were about the value of mid-round 1sts, not 1sts in general. No reasonable fan, even Leafs fans, would argue that a potential top 5 pick (like the Leafs pick, as you were alluding to) isn't an incredibly valuable asset. "Most hilarious thing i have seen on these boards this year", might be a little bit of a hyperbole.

All in all though, I think it was a fair deal. Ottawa gets a mid-1st and sheds quite a bit of salary and Nasville gets a solid 2-way center who can score 20-25 goals.
I stopped quoting around page 12 to post so perhaps other fanbases came on and started posting about the poor value of picks from pages 13-now. I will go back and read it, but the hilarious part was the common denominator of the posters who were condescending towards the pick. It's not like Hurricanes, Cancucks, Blues or 29 other teams fanbases were coming on here to crap on Ottawa's return here. It was one group.

I know the Toronto media is very influential but I didn't think that many people were now seeing 1st round picks as not an asset worth really having.

Overall, I think it is a great deal for both teams. Ottawa gets to draft twice in the 1st round and gets more cap space. Nashville gets a proven center who will help them on their playoff run. Win, win!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
apice3*

Did the Sens trade Carrie Underwood too?

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
State of Hockey

Wow, prices are high. I mean, Mike Fisher gets you a first? Nashville had plenty to spend, but I would gone after what they really need--scoring.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
TheHMan

Fisher was problematic because he kept a lot of young players from getting consistent Top 6 time and developing into better players. It was the same sort of situation with Vermette.

Guys like Regin and Foligno should not be outside of the Top 6 for any reason whatsoever. They have some upside, and I'd rather see them realize it sooner or later.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Fisher is worth a 1st?

When you consider he's under contract for two more years after this one - not sure why people are surprised he's worth a mid-late 1st round DP. It's not like he's a 20GP + one play-off year rental.

And I agree with most people in the thread - good trade for both sides. NSH adds a legit 2nd line F when you include defense ability & intangibles, and OTT frees up capspace and gets a 1st round DP.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Well, The University of Tennessee got an NCAA penalty when they used 'Hostesses' to influence High school players to come to their school. Common SEC practice.

I wonder if the Preds are doing the same thing? Hell, the Country HOF is across the street.

"Taylor meet Alex. Alex say hi to Ms. Swift."

Old
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post

We could make trades for bonafide NHL players and pick up free agents in that timespan? We draft a top-end forward this year who could be really great in 3 years time and have other NHL players surrounding him...

By your logic, we should have drafted Tarasenko at the 16th pick in 2010 last season. And drafted Pajaarvi-Svensson at the 9th spot in 2009. We didn't so the point is moot.

kolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
SpezDispenser

I'm rarely pleased to see someone who's been around leave, but today I'm pleased as punch. He was great back in the day - and perhaps he'll be great again for the Preds, but the time had come to purge ourselves of that contract and move forward. Good luck to him, he's a quality guy.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Man I called this almost to a T. The Conditional is all I missed. Hometown for Carrie Underwood and all. I imagine she is thrilled.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
RogerRoeper*

I know it won't be a high one, but this is a risky move for Nashville. Their draft choices have been their bread and butter. I don't really think Fisher is worth that given his salary and performance.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote