HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why not Mark Recchi ??

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 02:59 AM
HabsBaby18*

vCash: 500
Why not Mark Recchi ??

Why not sign Mark Recchi if we can't sign Kovalev or Demitra ? He is still a good player who works hard ... I would like to bring him back ... what do you think , do you want him back in MTL ?

Old
06-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Traitor8

If Kovalev,Demitra don't accept then yes why not. I would actually go to sign him before trying to sign Paul Kariya.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:30 AM
velimiiro

No, he's small, he's old, we can and we WILL do better.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:19 AM
Marksman

5'10'', thats why. Savard might have done it, but Gainey wont.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:56 AM
montreal25m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
5'10'', thats why. Savard might have done it, but Gainey wont.

Mark Recchi might be 5'10, but he plays like he is 6'3. Size is not the issue with mark Recchi. He plays with heart, determination, courage, and grit. He is one of the grittiest players in the NHL. In addition, reuniting him and Koivu (great friends) not a bad idea. He is still a very solid second line player and a great player that our younger players can look up to.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:59 AM
eddy

I loved Recchi when he played for the Habs, very hard worker, but i'm not sure i'd want to sign him again, he'd be quite pricy i'd think for his age and i'm not sure he'd want to come back to the habs in the first place.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
I loved Recchi when he played for the Habs, very hard worker, but i'm not sure i'd want to sign him again, he'd be quite pricy i'd think for his age and i'm not sure he'd want to come back to the habs in the first place.
He should defenately be our plan B! Hes small, but like Koivu hes built like a tank. Nuff said.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Guig

Well I think he's too old and he will cost a lot of money. I think the habs have to use their young player like Higgins and Hossa

Old
06-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiG
Well I think he's too old and he will cost a lot of money. I think the habs have to use their young player like Higgins and Hossa
Your right, but its always better to develope with a few solid veterans. Recchi is just that. We have Bonk who can help higgins and pleks defensively. We have Koivu who can help out in the offensive departement, but its not enough imo, as their are more offensive players in our system then defensive.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:38 AM
eddy

I can't say i'd be disapointed if we signed Recchi, cause whats not to like about the guy he has the heart of a lion, can score and could be an excellent mentor for the young players, but on the other side of things he is getting up there and would be quite exspencive for a player of his age.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:43 AM
boomboom

Instead of getting Rechi, the Habs should try to sign a player like Shanahan or Hull. If BG. signs one of these two.....I would be really happy.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Guig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Your right, but its always better to develope with a few solid veterans. Recchi is just that. We have Bonk who can help higgins and pleks defensively. We have Koivu who can help out in the offensive departement, but its not enough imo, as their are more offensive players in our system then defensive.
Well I think the habs have enough player who can help the younger player. Koivu, and Ribeiro(even if he's not old) offensively, Bonk defensively and there's Zednik and Ryder too.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiG
Well I think the habs have enough player who can help the younger player. Koivu, and Ribeiro(even if he's not old) offensively, Bonk defensively and there's Zednik and Ryder too.
Thats the thing though, Ribs and Ryder arent veterans as they are still learning, just look at their playoff performances. Zednik, hes not the type of veteran that can teach imo. Im not saying it has to be Recchi, there are many options out there, we just need a solid offensive veteran.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Bileur

Why would you want Recchi? So he can skate ultra speed in a strait line only, bob his head to the left (his super secret deke) and take a shot? You dont need him.

Faites place aux jeunes.
Make room for the youth.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Guig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Why would you want Recchi? So he can skate ultra speed in a strait line only, bob his head to the left (his super secret deke) and take a shot? You dont need him.

Faites place aux jeunes.
Make room for the youth.
I agree with you.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Guy Caballero

If we could get him at 1 year/3 mil, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Like the earlier poster said, size means nothing where Recchi is concerned. He's got the heart of a lion and a body 10 times as durable as Saku's. And he's still an awesome scorer. Recchi can play on my team any day.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:56 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
If we could get him at 1 year/3 mil, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Like the earlier poster said, size means nothing where Recchi is concerned. He's got the heart of a lion and a body 10 times as durable as Saku's. And he's still an awesome scorer. Recchi can play on my team any day.
What he said.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m
Mark Recchi might be 5'10, but he plays like he is 6'3. Size is not the issue with mark Recchi. He plays with heart, determination, courage, and grit. He is one of the grittiest players in the NHL. In addition, reuniting him and Koivu (great friends) not a bad idea. He is still a very solid second line player and a great player that our younger players can look up to.
Hes also 36 years old. Its only a matter of time age starts catching up with him - especially since hes been playing a lot with injuries over the years trying to maintain with his iron man image.

Dont get me wrong, I liked him very much, but its too late now, I would rather see Plekanec or Higgins with Koivu and Zednik.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Hes also 36 years old. Its only a matter of time age starts catching up with him - especially since hes been playing a lot with injuries over the years trying to maintain with his iron man image.

Dont get me wrong, I liked him very much, but its too late now, I would rather see Plekanec or Higgins with Koivu and Zednik.
Yeah, but he got 26 goals last year. Higgins will be a good one, but he needs seasoning. Recchi could be a good fit until Higgins is ready to fill his role. A one-year contract couldn't hurt us. We need a leader anyway to instill a good work ethic into this team. Saku is great, of course, but he's not enough, especially since he's so inury prone. With vets like Perreault, Quintal, and Juneau out, the need for leadership is greater than ever.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:38 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Yeah, but he got 26 goals last year. Higgins will be a good one, but he needs seasoning. Recchi could be a good fit until Higgins is ready to fill his role. A one-year contract couldn't hurt us. We need a leader anyway to instill a good work ethic into this team. Saku is great, of course, but he's not enough, especially since he's so inury prone. With vets like Perreault, Quintal, and Juneau out, the need for leadership is greater than ever.
True, a one year contract wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm not sure how much leadership we lost with Perrault and Juneau leaving the fold however. I think that sometimes leadership is suppose to be automatically assumed to be that of a veteran player, when in reality most NHL players, even young ones have been Captains/leaders on their teams throughout their developement as hockey players.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:33 PM
mcphee

I thought that some of the Flyers vets were their unding against TB in a series they could have won. Recchi seemed less effective as the games got more intense.This wasn't a lack of desire, I just don't think he has the extra gear to go to anymore when everyone plays at their highest level. Great carreer though.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Recchi was great. He is still pretty good. He certainly wouldn't hurt the team or anything. But I just imagine that both he and we are looking for something different at the respective stages in his career and our development program. If he wanted to play for us as a charity case, I wouldn't chase him away, but I would like to imagine I could make a better investment on our long-term fortunes than his likely salary level would represent.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur

Faites place aux jeunes.
Make room for the youth.
:lol :lol the joke about the super deke is hilarious I know exactly what your talking about, hilarious, can't stop laughing...I think it was a few years ago he did that on a breakaway and got stoned by the goalie, right

Old
06-29-2004, 01:28 PM

Are we trying to turn into the Leafs with all this talk about Recchi, Shanahan and Hull...jeez, we've got a good thing going here, let's not mess it up...we've already got rid of older vets like Perreault, Dackell, Juneau and Quintal

Old
06-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Are we trying to turn into the Leafs with all this talk about Recchi, Shanahan and Hull...jeez, we've got a good thing going here, let's not mess it up...we've already got rid of older vets like Perreault, Dackell, Juneau and Quintal
Well, if we were the Leafs, we'd talking about getting all of them. As it is, people are just considering the option of signing one of them to fill a gaping hole.

Plus, Perreault, Quintal, and Juneau are B- and C-level guys. Recchi Shanny and Hull are A-list all the way and would definitely help.

Shanny-Koivu-Zednik? Wow. I'd absolutely love it, even if Shanny isn't what he was 5 years ago.

Closed Thread