HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 MLB Thread (All Mets, Yankees and MLB talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2011, 08:17 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Jeter can still do it with the glove, but his range left him a long time ago.

You can say he's more productive with his glove than he is with his back. The last two Gold Gloves were reputation based and erroneous. Nothing new. It's a trend as old as the award itself (see Keith Hernandez in 1988, etc)

Still, it was nice to see them take 2 of 3 from the Mets.

Old
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The Mets sure are a mess right now...

Old
05-23-2011, 12:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The Mets sure are a mess right now...
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...dam&id=6578283

I assume?

Wow. What a ***** this guy is. Worse than Dolan? Probably.

edit- Like, seriously. I can't get over how ridiculous this is. What the ****? Why would you even do that? That'd be like Sather laughing right in Gainey's face right before the Gomez trade, and then ripping Jagr and Hank.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 05-23-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old
05-23-2011, 12:11 PM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

It's going to hurt, because this may his best year to date but I don't see how they don't trade Reyes. I hope I'm wrong though.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

It's unfathomable how you do trade Reyes. He's 27 and leads the NL in almost every offensive stat right now. Wilpon is a ****ing idiot.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It's unfathomable how you do trade Reyes. He's 27 and leads the NL in almost every offensive stat right now. Wilpon is a ****ing idiot.
That's not true at all. He's 14th in the NL in batting average, 23rd in on base percentage, 27th in slugging percentage, and has only one homer. He's having a good year, but he's not this superstar people make him out to be. His plate discipline leaves much to be desired, just as it always has. It's a contract year for him and this is his best season since 2008 at least. He's still a guy, as Crash Davis might say, with a multimillion dollar body and a five-cent head.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
That's not true at all. He's 14th in the NL in batting average, 23rd in on base percentage, 27th in slugging percentage, and has only one homer. He's having a good year, but he's not this superstar people make him out to be. His plate discipline leaves much to be desired, just as it always has. It's a contract year for him and this is his best season since 2008 at least. He's still a guy, as Crash Davis might say, with a multimillion dollar body and a five-cent head.
I meant to say hitting stats, still forget that you can't say offense when referring just to that . Either way, he leads the NL in extra base hits and has very respectable stats everywhere else. He's also tied for first in stolen bases. He's using his abilities at the highest level right now. He's playing at a superstar level this year, considering his offense and defense as one. I've tried watching a lot of baseball to educate myself this year and I don't see many SS's as good as Jose right now. Unless a top 5 SS can't be considered a superstar, not sure what constitutes superstar in the MLB. Either way, he's playing at an elite level right now.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
From Metsblog:

Quote:
The New Yorker author, Jeffrey Toobin, just talked with WFAN and said:

* He met five different times with Fred Wilpon.
* Talking with Wilpon was like sitting with another Mets fan, ‘The views he expressed are very common among Mets fans."
* The Mets have been VERY frustrated with how they’ve been portrayed by the media, in regards to the Madoff story.
* After spending time with Fred and the team, he believes that in all likelihood they will try to re-sign Reyes and keep David Wright, but, after that, "there will be a huge house cleaning."
* "If the they lose this lawsuit, they will have to sell the Mets."
* The Mets will bring in a minority shareholder at some point this summer.
* "Fred is a stand-up guy," "I don’t think he’s going to deny these statements."
* They are betting the team on Sandy Alderson.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
These quotes are hysterical.

BTW hes right about Reyes, he doesn't deserve Crawford money.

I love the Mets and I love Reyes, but if they have to watch their money, spending Crawford-type money on Reyes isn't worth it.

He really isn't all that great. This year is the first year hes really been this good since maybe 2008.

Hes inconsistant, injury prone, and doesn't come up in the big spots.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
These quotes are hysterical.

BTW hes right about Reyes, he doesn't deserve Crawford money.

I love the Mets and I love Reyes, but if they have to watch their money, spending Crawford-type money on Reyes isn't worth it.

He really isn't all that great. This year is the first year hes really been this good since maybe 2008.

Hes inconsistant, injury prone, and doesn't come up in the big spots.
lolwut

Old
05-23-2011, 12:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
From Metsblog:
That's not a terrible thing. I say keep those two, Ike, and Niese, and then everyone else is fair game for the right price.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
lolwut
What exactly are you taking issue with there? He's right, Reyes isn't better than Crawford, and in terms of Crawford-type money, that contract that he got from the Sox was a big overpayment in years and dollars, because speedsters just don't age as well as pure hitters. So if Crawford doesn't deserve Crawford money, then Reyes doesn't either.

Last edited by clmetsfan: 05-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old
05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
lolwut
Call it what you will, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him a huge deal.

Hope we get a good return.

I understand what Reyes could be, we all see it.. but when has he consistantly performed? Never.

Now its a contract year and here he is tearing it up.. not a great sign IMO

Old
05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
savebyrichter35

I'm not spending another ****ing dollar on the Mets until the Wilponzie's sell the team. You're the ****ing owner Fred, so if the team is and has been ******, isn't that an indictment if your ****** ownership? What an absolute clown, I'd rather have Dolan own the Mets than The Wilpons.

And I don't understand the people who are ok with getting rid of Reyes. First of all, and I know this may sound silly to some, but I truly believe that part of the fire sale needs to be the medical staff. Why is it that players can never be diagnosed properly, and why do so many players continuously get injured that aren't freak injuries? Reyes staying healthy is a risk I'm certainly willing to take. You get rid of Reyes, who's gonna be your shortstop? Who's gonna bring what Reyes brings? Fred built his Dodgers shrine aka ****tyField and to win in that ball park you need to build around speed and pitching. There's not a single player in the league that brings what Reyes brings, and he's just entering his prime! He may not be the smartest baseball player but his tools far outweigh his aggressive base running gaffes. If (and seemingly when) the Mets trade Reyes and decide to build the team around Wright and Ike (I like Ike alot) it's gonna set the team back several more years. If I had to pick 2 of those 3 to build the team around, especially considering the ball park they play in, it's Reyes and Ike.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
I'm not spending another ****ing dollar on the Mets until the Wilponzie's sell the team. You're the ****ing owner Fred, so if the team is and has been ******, isn't that an indictment if your ****** ownership? What an absolute clown, I'd rather have Dolan own the Mets than The Wilpons.

And I don't understand the people who are ok with getting rid of Reyes. First of all, and I know this may sound silly to some, but I truly believe that part of the fire sale needs to be the medical staff. Why is it that players can never be diagnosed properly, and why do so many players continuously get injured that aren't freak injuries? Reyes staying healthy is a risk I'm certainly willing to take. You get rid of Reyes, who's gonna be your shortstop? Who's gonna bring what Reyes brings? Fred built his Dodgers shrine aka ****tyField and to win in that ball park you need to build around speed and pitching. There's not a single player in the league that brings what Reyes brings, and he's just entering his prime! He may not be the smartest baseball player but his tools far outweigh his aggressive base running gaffes. If (and seemingly when) the Mets trade Reyes and decide to build the team around Wright and Ike (I like Ike alot) it's gonna set the team back several more years. If I had to pick 2 of those 3 to build the team around, especially considering the ball park they play in, it's Reyes and Ike.
Reyes, right now, is playing some of the best baseball hes ever played.

The problem is, we don't see it enough from him. He is so inconsistant its not funny.. hes not a 18M a year player, he just simply isn't.

Now we're in NY, it shouldn't matter; but this if team is going to have money problems, Reyes isn't a player I feel is a safe gamble. Far from it.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
What exactly are you taking issue with there? He's right, Reyes isn't better than Crawford, and in terms of Crawford-type money, that contract that he got from the Sox was a big overpayment in years and dollars, because speedsters just don't age as well as pure hitters. So if Crawford doesn't deserve Crawford money, then Reyes doesn't either.
So you'd rather not sign Reyes just because he doesn't deserve that much money? There's no salary cap in baseball, his contract doesn't matter. You have to overpay for free agents in any sport, you know this. If the Mets aren't gonna re-sign their homegrown real talents because of the money, and they aren't gonna pony up the cash for the right free agents, then they're gonna become the Pittsburgh Pirates. That's why I want the Wilpons to sell the team so bad, so that we can get an owner with money that isn't afraid to throw it around.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Reyes, right now, is playing some of the best baseball hes ever played.

The problem is, we don't see it enough from him. He is so inconsistant its not funny.. hes not a 18M a year player, he just simply isn't.

Now we're in NY, it shouldn't matter; but this if team is going to have money problems, Reyes isn't a player I feel is a safe gamble. Far from it.
That's definitely fair, and further proves what I said about getting new owners in order to truly compete. I just think we've seen enough from Reyes to know that this years Reyes is much closer to the real Reyes, and not just a contract year aberration. We've seen this type of play from Reyes more than once, and especially in that ball park, I think it's absolutely 100% worth it to re-sign him.

Old
05-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
So you'd rather not sign Reyes just because he doesn't deserve that much money? There's no salary cap in baseball, his contract doesn't matter. You have to overpay for free agents in any sport, you know this. If the Mets aren't gonna re-sign their homegrown real talents because of the money, and they aren't gonna pony up the cash for the right free agents, then they're gonna become the Pittsburgh Pirates. That's why I want the Wilpons to sell the team so bad, so that we can get an owner with money that isn't afraid to throw it around.
Its not about becoming the Pittsburgh Pirates. Thats a whole other issue. We are evaluating Jose Reyes as a player, and my evaluation is that he isn't all that great.

He has a world of talent. He shows this talent, but as I said he is very inconsistant and injury prone.

His game is also built around his legs. For someone who has had so many injuries, is it really safe to gamble on his legs? He will be 28 next season. Say he gets a 7 year deal. How confident can you be about his legs when hes say 32? He could very well breakdown.. hell maybe even before that.

Aside from that, his play on the field isn't always this good. I don't remember Reyes being this much of a factor since maybe 2008. Its a contract year and hes going all out.. he wants that payday.

Now. If the Mets hadn't shown that they are going to become frugal with their money.. I'd take a chance on giving him a 6-7 year deal.. but if the Wilpons/Alderson want to limit payroll, spending $18 mill on Reyes isn't the best gamble.

I know we won't get a better SS, but lets hope we can improve elsewhere.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

There's just something inherently wrong with the fact that the Mets threw tons of money at players like Ollie Perez and Jason Bay, but draw the line at Jose Reyes.

I agree that Reyes is not worth Crawford money, the problem is Crawford is not even worth Crawford money.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Carl Crawford is slightly better offensively (he's not much better or anything of the sort), but Reyes is a fair bit better than him defensively.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Its not about becoming the Pittsburgh Pirates. Thats a whole other issue. We are evaluating Jose Reyes as a player, and my evaluation is that he isn't all that great.

He has a world of talent. He shows this talent, but as I said he is very inconsistant and injury prone.

His game is also built around his legs. For someone who has had so many injuries, is it really safe to gamble on his legs? He will be 28 next season. Say he gets a 7 year deal. How confident can you be about his legs when hes say 32? He could very well breakdown.. hell maybe even before that.
Amazin' Avenue debunked all of this. Move on.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I meant to say hitting stats, still forget that you can't say offense when referring just to that . Either way, he leads the NL in extra base hits and has very respectable stats everywhere else. He's also tied for first in stolen bases. He's using his abilities at the highest level right now. He's playing at a superstar level this year, considering his offense and defense as one. I've tried watching a lot of baseball to educate myself this year and I don't see many SS's as good as Jose right now. Unless a top 5 SS can't be considered a superstar, not sure what constitutes superstar in the MLB. Either way, he's playing at an elite level right now.
The truth of the matter is that there just aren't that many superstar caliber shortstops right now. There usually aren't a lot of superstar middle infielders. Reyes isn't good enough or consistent enough to merit superstar cash.

Old
05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Amazin' Avenue debunked all of this. Move on.
How can you debunk inconsistancy and a potential injury?

How can you possibly debunk that he could get hurt at any time?

Old
05-23-2011, 04:10 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Carl Crawford is slightly better offensively (he's not much better or anything of the sort), but Reyes is a fair bit better than him defensively.
And extremely less injury prone, which was Wilpon's whole point.

Old
05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
How can you debunk inconsistancy and a potential injury?

How can you possibly debunk that he could get hurt at any time?
The whole injury prone thing is a bunch of crap. He's had about the same playing time as players such as Tulo and Furcal. It's a myth.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/5/2...-of-jose-reyes

Closed Thread