HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik Trade Speculation (Sather Listening to Offers?)

Old
02-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
Gaborik Trade Speculation (Sather Listening to Offers?)

I have been saying all year that this guy is overrated!! You did not even hear his name today. This guy is not even in the top 130 scorers in the leauge. There would be a great deal of teams chomping at the bit to get him. He is on the downslide folks. I am sick of the game plan to get this bum the puck. Slats you have three weeks to find him a new home. TRADE HIM NOW!!!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
I have been saying all year that this guy is overrated!! You did not even hear his name today. This guy is not even in the top 130 scorers in the leauge. There would be a great deal of teams chomping at the bit to get him. He is on the downslide folks. I am sick of the game plan to get this bum the puck. Slats you have three weeks to find him a new home. TRADE HIM NOW!!!!
If he is so overrated, invisible, not even in the top 130 scorers in the league and on the downside, why would there be "a great deal of teams chomping at the bit to get him," ?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:43 PM
chip chipperson*

no team will take him. hes having a bad year, if this were to happen again next year i might look at things differently. at least hes not hurt

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
If he is so overrated, invisible, not even in the top 130 scorers in the league and on the downside, why would there be "a great deal of teams chomping at the bit to get him," ?
Logic has no place within these walls..........

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Yeah, at 28-29 years old he's declining.

Lundqvist is too now, right?

Get rid of them both. Pieces of ****.

Seriously, Gaborik is invisble. He's been banged up. It's mental. I wouldn't doubt that injured shoulder is limiting his effort. Confidence is mental too. He needs to break out of it, no doubt. Don't trade him, unless something amazing is on the table.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
MSG the place to be*

Whether the premise of trading him is ridiculous or not, Gabby is making it hard to remember how he was so good last year.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Rodent

He missed a good part of the season. You're comparing his raw figure to everyone else's raw figure. That's a silly way to get "130th". That's like saying it's time to trade Vinnie because he's last in the NHL in goals.

A more fair comparison would be goals per minute of TOI.

Gaborik is 28th in the NHL.

Secondly, Gaborik's game is one that requires a feeder. He hasn't had a decent feeder all year. Not until Vinnie is back to normal will Gaborik's game return to what it was.

Thirdly ... there's still an issue with his left shoulder. He's playing through it.

Finally, you look at Briere, Crosby, Stamkos, Franzen, Kesler, etc. They all have something Gaborik does not: Someone else on the team whom enemy backcheckers must be careful to cover. NYR's enemies all converge on shutting down Gaborik. They dare Dubi, Boyle, Zuc, etc. to win the game. If the Rangers had a second bona fide threat to force enemy backcheckers to be spread more thinly, Gaborik would have more room on the ice.

Would be a shame to send him packing this season and watch him light it up with another team next year.

That said... I've been upset with several games by Marian where he's floated around instead of helping the backcheck. If you're gonna float and cherry-pick then you've got to bury those chances. And he has not.

But trading Gaborik would be a mistake... unless it brought back a different sniper. Guys with 40+ potential are rare in the NHL. And most of them are locked up - not going anywhere. Rangers have one... They should be looking for another one, not to unload the one they do have.

Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Always a good idea to trade your high-priced top sccoring forward, only a half year removed from his best year ever statistically, while he's slumping...a surefire way to get an awful package back. I am truly saddened by the quality of posting the past few days.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:06 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
He missed a good part of the season. You're comparing his raw figure to everyone else's raw figure. That's a silly way to get "130th". That's like saying it's time to trade Vinnie because he's last in the NHL in goals.

A more fair comparison would be goals per minute of TOI.

Gaborik is 28th in the NHL.

Secondly, Gaborik's game is one that requires a feeder. He hasn't had a decent feeder all year. Not until Vinnie is back to normal will Gaborik's game return to what it was.

Thirdly ... there's still an issue with his left shoulder. He's playing through it.

Finally, you look at Briere, Crosby, Stamkos, Franzen, Kesler, etc. They all have something Gaborik does not: Someone else on the team whom enemy backcheckers must be careful to cover. NYR's enemies all converge on shutting down Gaborik. They dare Dubi, Boyle, Zuc, etc. to win the game. If the Rangers had a second bona fide threat to force enemy backcheckers to be spread more thinly, Gaborik would have more room on the ice.Would be a shame to send him packing this season and watch him light it up with another team next year.

That said... I've been upset with several games by Marian where he's floated around instead of helping the backcheck. If you're gonna float and cherry-pick then you've got to bury those chances. And he has not.

But trading Gaborik would be a mistake... unless it brought back a different sniper. Guys with 40+ potential are rare in the NHL. And most of them are locked up - not going anywhere. Rangers have one... They should be looking for another one, not to unload the one they do have.
Forget about a second threat on the team, I'd go so far as to say those guys have threats that need to be watched on their own lines....

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
haveandare

Quote:
There are so many things wrong with this post. I am VERY disappointed in Gaborik because not only do I see a guy who can't put up the points he should, I also see a guy who just isn't trying. He doesn't look interested and he doesn't look engaged. He's not skating as fast as he can, he isn't driving to the net with a desire to score, he's not even trying to snipe like he is able to. However, taking all of that into account he still shouldn't be traded for these reasons:

1. His value right now is probably the lowest it's ever been in his career - NYR would take a beating trading him now.
2. Even though he's doing poorly this season he still has 556 points in 618 career games. Giving up on him would be an awful idea and a sign of weak coaching/management.
3. Getting another player that even has the potential to score like he can and has for years is going to be near impossible if not flat out impossible.

He's not overrated - everyone knows that he's struggling right now and 130 is a completely ridiculous number of forwards better or worse than anybody. The game plan isn't to get him the puck these days. If you see that happening you're not watching closely enough.

Also, I have to ask like others have, if he sucks so much why would everyone else want him? Common. Read it over before you post.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Trade him for who? The only thing we'll get for him is kids. That does nothing to solve our problems within the next 2-3 years. Yeah we're a young team and we're looking towards the future, but it's not supposed to be the distant future. I think a realistic goal for this team would be to be Cup ready in 2012. What are we going to do in 2012 with kids who can't even drive yet?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:35 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
What? Sather is that you? So he's playing bad, it's not impossible for players to get into a funk. Tortz makes everything look worse, not that he isn't right. A player like Gaborik doesn't come around often, no way you want to trade him and get a Heatley like return.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:40 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

His issue is and always has been mental toughness. He is not a big game player and gets down on himself when things aren't going right.

02-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Wait so he's overrated, not in the top 130 of scorers, and is on a downslide as u say, but "a great deal of teams chomping at the bit to get him" tell me how that makes sense

This is a bit of an overreaction, the guys having a bad down season but he's not on the downside of his career at all he's 28, he's been injured all season and hasn't had ample time to really heal. He's consistently been one of the leagues top scorers, 10th last year in pts and 12th in 08, proving he's an elite player when healthy.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
bscharf

Listen- Hes SLUMPING

And hes slumping by his standards...STILL HAS 33 POINTS IN 40 GAMES!

Personally i think hes a little banged up/Little bit of a head case and needs a mental break out from this.

Once he gets it going (which he undoubtably will) he can score as well as anyone in the league.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:21 PM
pwoz

Gaborik is a top 5 scorer in the league, but he's either been playing hurt or EXTREMELY scared at getting hurt again.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Listen- Hes SLUMPING

And hes slumping by his standards...STILL HAS 33 POINTS IN 40 GAMES!

Personally i think hes a little banged up/Little bit of a head case and needs a mental break out from this.

Once he gets it going (which he undoubtably will) he can score as well as anyone in the league.
Thank you.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Gaborik is a top 5 scorer in the league, but he's either been playing hurt or EXTREMELY scared at getting hurt again.
If you're scared to get hurt you don't belong out there. You can't be scared.

Old
02-05-2011, 07:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Please, enlighten us as to which player(s) you would trade him for.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:28 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If you're scared to get hurt you don't belong out there. You can't be scared.
Agreed.

I'm glad I missed today's game (went to AC for the boat show). I rarely ever miss one.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Please, enlighten us as to which player(s) you would trade him for.
If Columbus agreed to Gaborik for Nash, I'd carry Gaborik to Columbus on my back. I think very highly of Rick Nash not only as a great player, but a big game player, not that he's had much chance on that team, so he doesn't really get to show it. That's the only realistic trade I'd make with Gaborik, and by realistic I mean barring Crosby and Stamkos. Other than that, I'd rather stick with Gaborik and give him at least another year before I sell him off. I'm extremely disappointed with this season, but it is still just one season.

Old
02-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Trade him when his value is very low...yeah, makes sense.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
If Columbus agreed to Gaborik for Nash, I'd carry Gaborik to Columbus on my back. I think very highly of Rick Nash not only as a great player, but a big game player, not that he's had much chance on that team, so he doesn't really get to show it. That's the only realistic trade I'd make with Gaborik, and by realistic I mean barring Crosby and Stamkos. Other than that, I'd rather stick with Gaborik and give him at least another year before I sell him off. I'm extremely disappointed with this season, but it is still just one season.
That would never happen. Nash is Columbus' captain, face of the franchise, etc.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Why would they trade Nash for Gaborik?

02-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Ke11y96

I don't get how you move this guy, our missing pieces with him here are a #1 center and a elite offensive dman...Right now there are two centers out of 30 teams that at some point will be available and thats Richards July 1st and maybe for a huge offer Spezza cuz all I keep reading is Ottawa wants a shake up this deadline..There's no point in moving him for Spezza cuz you only trade for this guy to dish the puck to Gabby..and out of the offensive powerhouses on defense Shea Weber is the only one I'd consider...I wouldn't move him for Burns, Byfuglien, or even Green. Remember Gaborik from last season and if ya have to go watch Loffen's video of him from last year..When he's that guy he's a top 10 winger in the game..

I think he's playing to not get hurt tho like some have mentioned..Knowing he's under the microscope here I think he feels if he dresses he can play perimeter hockey and still contribute and its not working. He probably is use to playing that quick bump and run hockey but is nervous about taking any damage to his shoulder or groin especially when were in such a tight race. It has caused him to second guess everything from when to shoot to where to shoot and maybe with some familiarity now with Christensen and Prospal he'll feel more comfortable and just go hard these last 25 or so games..

But you do not trade this guy unless really a irrefutable offer is made.

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote