Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Restaurants downtown?

Old
02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
sveiglar

vCash: 500
OT: Restaurants downtown?

Coming to Calgary for the Heritage Classic, staying downtown (hotel is around the corner from Flames Central). Any restaurant recommendations in that part of the city? Somewhere nice (but prefer to keep it in the $100-$200 range). Thanks!

sveiglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

vCash: 106
Hey, where ya from?

If your hotel is around the corner from Flames Central, I'd assume you're in the Hyatt or the Palliser hotel..

Places to Google I guess would be Saltlik Steak House, and maybe Sumo Lounge or River Cafe which are both by the Eau Claire Market (a few blocks of walking away.)
Bonterra Trattoria is a little expensive but also decent Italian.

For the record I have no idea how the food is at the Calgary Tower revolving restaurant, but it might be nice as a tourist thing.

For good eats that's not necessarily "dinner fare", take a cab to Peter's Drive-In. It's not too far away from you so the cab ride shouldn't be too costly. Try the milkshakes especially. If you want "casual" food I suggest getting to Kensington area via C-train to Sunnyside station. Take a little walk around there, it's a small area and it has a lot of good little walk-in places and a couple pubs too.

Have fun here, hope it helps.

Last edited by Signature: 02-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
iggyman12

You will have to walk a couple blocks down 8th ave, but the Unicorn pub is a classier pub with really good food. Flames Central also has pretty good food. Enjoy your stay!

iggyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 1700
www.caesarssteakhouse.com

I've only been to the one in Willow Park but they have a downtown location. While the decor / atmosphere / dining experience may be a little "1980's" the food is epic. Definitely in your listed price range; meal for two with a couple of cocktails will easly top $100.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Injury Prone Stastny
Can't Trade Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman12 View Post
You will have to walk a couple blocks down 8th ave, but the Unicorn pub is a classier pub with really good food. Flames Central also has pretty good food. Enjoy your stay!
They've got some killer wings there.

And if you walk a couple blocks north, there is the Red Water Grill or whatever it's called. It's pretty good.

Injury Prone Stastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:02 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Hey, where ya from?

If your hotel is around the corner from Flames Central, I'd assume you're in the Hyatt or the Palliser hotel..

Places to Google I guess would be Saltlik Steak House, and maybe Sumo Lounge or River Cafe which are both by the Eau Claire Market (a few blocks of walking away.)
Bonterra Trattoria is a little expensive but also decent Italian.

For the record I have no idea how the food is at the Calgary Tower revolving restaurant, but it might be nice as a tourist thing.

For good eats that's not necessarily "dinner fare", take a cab to Peter's Drive-In. It's not too far away from you so the cab ride shouldn't be too costly. Try the milkshakes especially. If you want "casual" food I suggest getting to Kensington area via C-train to Sunnyside station. Take a little walk around there, it's a small area and it has a lot of good little walk-in places and a couple pubs too.

Have fun here, hope it helps.
Bonterra Trattoria personally I've had good experiences here but it seems to be a hit or miss, I've had 3 of my friends go on 3 separate occasions and had really bad service and/or food experiences.

Lounge Burger, Saltlik and Teatro (slightly overrated) I think are much more consistent choices. Catch is also a nice place for seafood as well, you'll find quite a few good places on Stephen ave.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
TheGaudfather
#Unsustainable

vCash: 50
go to the calgary tower. Its about $30/person and drinks are $10+/person. I went there for my girlfriend's birthday and it was great. + you get a nice view of the city.

TheGaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:44 AM
sveiglar

Coming from Ottawa. Settled on the Tower... restaurant + view. Thanks for all the suggestions; should be a great weekend!

sveiglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

I too will be heading down for both games games (Including an Oilers game in Edmonton a few nights before. I'll be rocking my Flames jersey for sure). Staying near McMahon stadium, at the Super 8, few blocks away. Any suggestions as to where I should go? Will most likely check out Flames Central.

Update: Checked out some reviews for FC, probably going to avoid it. Should also mention I'm not looking for high priced stuff. Two of us, probably looking around the $50 mark for both of us. A place with a huge burger is preferred

Update: aaaand found it.
http://www.boogiesburgers.com/media.php

Update: Don't fear the reaper burger... Challenge Accepted.

Update: NOooooooooooooooo, they're closed on sundays. I'll have to try to find something similar in Edmonton.

Last edited by Skobel24: 02-13-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:38 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar View Post
Coming from Ottawa. Settled on the Tower... restaurant + view. Thanks for all the suggestions; should be a great weekend!
It's important to be facing the West at around sunset time for the best effect (the tower rotates) so see if you can wrangle that timing with your reservations. I haven't been up to that restaurant (Panorama Room?) for about 5 years but it was outstanding on my last visit. Not cheap though, I spent $200 for the wife and I with apps, wine, entrees, desert & tip. The sunset was positioned perfectly, the service and meal were excellent, it was very good.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
I too will be heading down for both games games (Including an Oilers game in Edmonton a few nights before. I'll be rocking my Flames jersey for sure). Staying near McMahon stadium, at the Super 8, few blocks away. Any suggestions as to where I should go? Will most likely check out Flames Central.

Update: Checked out some reviews for FC, probably going to avoid it. Should also mention I'm not looking for high priced stuff. Two of us, probably looking around the $50 mark for both of us. A place with a huge burger is preferred

Update: aaaand found it.
http://www.boogiesburgers.com/media.php

Update: Don't fear the reaper burger... Challenge Accepted.

Update: NOooooooooooooooo, they're closed on sundays. I'll have to try to find something similar in Edmonton.
If you're looking for a good burger, then definitely hit Peter's on 16th Ave. & Edmonton Trail.

Five Guys just opened in Calgary. It is pretty good, for a chain.

I also hear good things about Loungeburger (near the Saddledome) but haven't made it there yet.

Old
02-14-2011, 07:31 PM
special_loob

charcut is one of the newest top rated restaurants in calgary. across the street from the calgary tower on 9th ave and center st. fairly reasonably priced. should be able to do a dinner for 2 including wine for your price range.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If you're looking for a good burger, then definitely hit Peter's on 16th Ave. & Edmonton Trail.

Five Guys just opened in Calgary. It is pretty good, for a chain.

I also hear good things about Loungeburger (near the Saddledome) but haven't made it there yet.
Five Guys is terrible. We have one in Brandon. So bland.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Hey I am going to Calgary Monday and staying for 10 days...

What are some things I can do?... I been to drumheller before and seen the Dino's that was cool...but what about Public Skating and such??

I know this is going to sound ridicolous... I know Calgary ain't B.C.... but... ugh... how difficult is it to find a certain something??... I understand if you can't post, if someone PM'D me about local hemp shops or something, be greatly appercaited, because I am not taping anything to my crotch.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
Hey I am going to Calgary Monday and staying for 10 days...

What are some things I can do?... I been to drumheller before and seen the Dino's that was cool...but what about Public Skating and such??

I know this is going to sound ridicolous... I know Calgary ain't B.C.... but... ugh... how difficult is it to find a certain something??... I understand if you can't post, if someone PM'D me about local hemp shops or something, be greatly appercaited, because I am not taping anything to my crotch.
First day with the internet? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=calgary+hemp+shop

Old
02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
First day with the internet? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=calgary+hemp+shop

hey, I figure locals like yourself would be best place to ask, that's all.

looking forward to it... have tickets for a hitman game... tickets for a flames game... and got tickets for an oilers game too.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:15 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Five Guys is terrible. We have one in Brandon. So bland.
Fatburger is where its at

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote