HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Ennis?

Old
02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 500
I'd definitely trade Ennis if it helped bring in a top-6 center.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
*Bonk*

serves me right.

Ta,
No actually you play left

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
If we acquired Berglund, I'd trade Pominville and Hecht, and any of the other slackers we call "top 6 forwards". There's no way I'd want that supporting cast to surround Berglund while trying to further his development.
Would anyone consider trading Pomms AND Hecht for Berglund + ? [1], or would BUF be giving up too much defensive responsibility / PK unit with that trade?

[1] and I'd throw in Persson for free[2].

[2] Had to take the dig...

Blues have next to no payroll commited next year, handful or RFAs to deal with, no true albatross contracts IMO. Davidson's doing something right there...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

I don't see how trading Ennis for Berglund would make us any better off. Berlund is a year older and is producing the same as Ennis this year. Last year when Berglund was the same age as Ennis is now, he put up 26 points in 71 games. I think Ennis has the higher upside so other than the position aspect, I don't see how this would make us any better.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Pengo

I would not trade Ennis right now. This is his first full season and he should get around 45-50 points already. It's been said that he has Briere-like potential? Well he's far ahead of where Briere was at the same point in their careers.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:33 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I don't see how trading Ennis for Berglund would make us any better off. Berlund is a year older and is producing the same as Ennis this year. Last year when Berglund was the same age as Ennis is now, he put up 26 points in 71 games. I think Ennis has the higher upside so other than the position aspect, I don't see how this would make us any better.
It only seems like a lateral move until you realize Berglund is a center, and we have major organizational center issues. Berglund will keep developing, and I think the 1 year age difference is irrelevant in the long term.

But Berglund is just an example of a type of player to pursue. Certainly other names are welcome.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:39 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

I like Ennis, but I think your point is well taken- Jame. TE + pick(s) + roster filler for top line center? = win...

I know most of our midgets play bigger than their size, but I'm just not sure how a playoff roster w/ Byron, Ennis, Roy and Gerbe would impact the game. Maybe they can collectively overcome the more physical nature of the playoffs- who knows. In limited viewings Ennis and Gerbe were among the bright spots in the loss against Boston last year- so again- who knows. I guess it also depends on how the rest of the roster fills out. If you have Kassian, Foligno, Kaleta and McCormick types it might actually be an ok mix up front.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
It only seems like a lateral move until you realize Berglund is a center, and we have major organizational center issues.
There are other ways to get a Top 6 center without trading Ennis. You could sign Brad Richards (anyone? anyone? ) or trade for a center like Vermette or Weiss as someone mentioned in this thread. Or you could get together something better and trade for a real #1 center.

I'm not convinced that Patrik Berglund is the answer. He's never even reached the 50-point mark in three seasons.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:44 PM
JPurp26

I agree with what Zip said.

I would rather trade Adam,Gerbe,Stafford,Hecht, and others before Ennis. Even draft picks to acquire some top 6 centers.

I really am starting to think we should trade Stafford well his value is high to acquire a center. With Kassian up (next year if he is ready) and Vanek playing RW we could still have RW'S Vanek,Pominville,Kassian,Kaleta.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
I like Ennis, but I think your point is well taken- Jame. TE + pick(s) + roster filler for top line center? = win...

I know most of our midgets play bigger than their size, but I'm just not sure how a playoff roster w/ Byron, Ennis, Roy and Gerbe would impact the game. Maybe they can collectively overcome the more physical nature of the playoffs- who knows. In limited viewings Ennis and Gerbe were among the bright spots in the loss against Boston last year- so again- who knows. I guess it also depends on how the rest of the roster fills out. If you have Kassian, Foligno, Kaleta and McCormick types it might actually be an ok mix up front.
The common misperception is that you need size to win in the playoffs. Does it help? Sure. Do you need it? Not necessarily. The biggest thing in the playoffs is being able to take your game to the next level and playing with passion and intensity which I have absolutely no question about with our smaller guys. Now with some of our bigger guys? I have serious questions with their ability to step it up and play that way in the playoffs.

Connolly and Pominville are not the biggest players but they're much bigger than our midgets but they have not shown the ability to play with intensity or passion and as a result they are completely invisible come playoff time.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Luceni

I'd honestly move anyone for Richards, Malkin, M. Koivu, Kesler.....

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:40 PM
joshjull

I'm not trading a low cost high end player (At least I would be very reluctant to). That's how depth is built up and generally how teams win. Chicago was able to have the depth they did last year because many key players hadn't hit their big contracts yet.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-11-2011 at 04:00 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
I'd rather force Ennis to center than trade him for one at this point. He's still developing, and overall he's had a decent rookie year with flashes of great talent.

That said, if there's an acquirable center with a comparable ceiling go for it.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Reddawg

Brad Richards with an extension in tow is about the only thing I'd trade Ennis away for.

Maybe Shea Weber, but Nashville is loading up so he's obviously not going anywhere as an RFA.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If Staff gets a new deal, that's 3 of 4 top wing spots locked up for the next few years. With Adam, Kassian, Gerbe, Byron, in the pipe. As well as veteran 2nd line wingers being among the easiest hole to fill thru FA.

Dont get all emotional.

Ennis may be our best trade chip towards landing that top 6 center
Some threads are funny. This one is one of them.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I love how Stafford, Miller, Vanek, Roy & Kassian are moveable for the right piece, but people get in an uproar when Ennis gets mentioned.

Jeeze.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:08 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I love how Stafford, Miller, Vanek, Roy & Kassian are moveable for the right piece, but people get in an uproar when Ennis gets mentioned.

Not that I want to move him, but he's probably most likely to go.

I mean, look at the Kovalchuk deal last year. It was centered around Bergfors and picks.

If you wanted a guy like Richards or Spezza, you'd have to give something similar, which would most likely be Ennis and a bundle of picks/lesser prospects.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Havok89

Id much rather keep Ennis. We have other assets that can get us a 2nd line center without losing Ennis. If anything, i can see pominville leaving if/when Kassian is ready to jump into a top-6 role. Stafford, Vanek, Ennis, Kassian looks pretty good for top-6 wingers IMO. All four have skill and three of them have good size also.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:51 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Kassian is a big question mark. I am sure we all hope he can be an effective NHLer, but until he comes up and plays a stretch of 12-15 straight games, he may or may not be a "bust". Or at least less effective than we had hoped for.

I would keep Ennis unless the return is really niiiiice!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not trading a low cost high end player (At least I would be very reluctant to). That's how depth is built up and generally how teams win. Chicago was able to have the depth they did last year because many key players hadn't hit their big contracts yet.

Same here. Keep the kid on the entry level deal, move one of the others who is either making or about to make a bigger payday.

02-11-2011, 08:20 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Agreed. I would really have to be wow'd by an offer to consider moving him.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Agreed. In basically your rookie season you'll produce upto probly 50 points. The ppg/$pg ratio is near off the charts. Those type of players just don't get traded. You gotta keep these players to offset the ppg/$pg players like pominville and hecht that were bad mistakes.

But, never say never. If the offer was for another 20-23 year old center with strong upside on a entry level deal, well then yes, I'd be listening. In a nutshell, I'm not trading Ennis to take on $$$ or any center over 28 with a large contract.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Tachycineta

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Unless it's Malkin, I would be really reluctant to trade little Tyler.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Same here. Keep the kid on the entry level deal, move one of the others who is either making or about to make a bigger payday.
Yup. And not to mention, haven't Ennis and Myers become good friends? Or at least roommates or something. Anyway, trading away players who are doing well, just so you can get a player at a position where you're lacking, would send a bad message to the team IMO. Since Buffalo already has a poor reputation for players around the league, why make it worse by trading a guy like Ennis who is considered to be one of the top 10 rookies in the league right now? Or why trade Stafford when he's worked so hard in the off-season to improve his game, did what the coach told him to do, and is playing lights out for all the hard work and preparation he put in?

You trade the players who aren't playing well, not the ones who are. If you have a weakness somewhere in the line-up, then that's what free agency, the draft, and maybe off-season trades are for IMO. Brian Burke is probably the only GM in the league right now who makes trades purely for the sake of switching **** up in his line-up to see what works. And in a recent poll it said that Toronto is one of the least sought after destinations for players. Why do you think that is? The city of Toronto is one of the best cities in the world. I'd say it's because they probably think they'll get shipped out of town in 6 months or less for little reason.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:58 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Obviously, if the return is talent at the center position, I'm listening. Otherwise, for reasons mentioned, I'd entertain offers for some other bodies before Ennis.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote