HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Anything other than an "A?"

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 11:02 AM
guitaraholic*

vCash: 500
Anything other than an "A?"

I was originally going to start a thread asking you guys to rate the Blues draft but seeing as how it went pretty much as if it were scripted by Pleau himself I figured it would be easier to start a thread asking if anyone out there thinks the Blues got less than an "A" for their draft? If you rated it as a less than great draft for the Blues, what's your reasoning?
While we're years away from knowing what will become of these prospects it's really nice to be able to enjoy the success of a Blues draft for the first time (2nd, actually, last year's was solid also, but not nearly as spectacular) in a long while.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:17 AM
slimer

I'd give them an incomplete. In fact every team should get an incomplete for at least the next 3 years for this draft. You can only grade a draft after those players have had a chance to become NHLers.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Blueski

I think you can give a preliminary grade, then have them put through finals in a few years. Unless you get one of the top picks that plays right away, you aren't getting an impact player. You are getting a player you develop. So in a few years, it isn't even a draft grade, it is how well did you develop your players grade.

So strike all of that before the last sentence. You can grade the draft now and in a few years, grade your system on how well you developed the players.

I give the Blues an A based on what was available and where they are seeing the team in 3-5 years.

Old
06-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Frenzy1

Guys, lets not turn this into the clown house (stltoday).

Stich, guitaraholic liked the first 3 picks, what is your opinion of them?

Only issue I have w/ the draft is not being able to get O'Neill in the 4th round... Stupid Islanders.

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 06-29-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old
06-29-2004, 03:52 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
I was originally going to start a thread asking you guys to rate the Blues draft but seeing as how it went pretty much as if it were scripted by Pleau himself I figured it would be easier to start a thread asking if anyone out there thinks the Blues got less than an "A" for their draft? If you rated it as a less than great draft for the Blues, what's your reasoning?
While we're years away from knowing what will become of these prospects it's really nice to be able to enjoy the success of a Blues draft for the first time (2nd, actually, last year's was solid also, but not nearly as spectacular) in a long while.
On first looks everyone seems to think we kicked ass at this draft, we may have found a gem in Yarmo.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Only issue I have w/ the draft is not being able to get O'Neill in the 4th round... Stupid Islanders.
The Islanders can have him...

O'Neill, from what I read, is Belle without the wheels. Good size, some skill, zero hockey sense.

I think you'll like the guy (Michal Birner) we ended up taking in the fourth round, and I think you'll end up liking him a lot better than Wes O'Neill. Just my $0.02 ($0.055 Canadian).

B.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueski
I think you can give a preliminary grade, then have them put through finals in a few years. Unless you get one of the top picks that plays right away, you aren't getting an impact player. You are getting a player you develop. So in a few years, it isn't even a draft grade, it is how well did you develop your players grade.

So strike all of that before the last sentence. You can grade the draft now and in a few years, grade your system on how well you developed the players.

I give the Blues an A based on what was available and where they are seeing the team in 3-5 years.
QFA. Looks like a lot of highly-acclaimed guys, *if* they pan out as projected it and last year will be drafts people point to when they talk about the rebirth of the Blues.

Closed Thread