HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Mogilny - Why did he refuse to play at 2002 Olympics?

Old
02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydgar View Post
I think he owes his family far more than he owes some stupid invisible lines we've divided amongst ourselves when it comes to both life and hockey.
So having your summers off being able to retire whenever you'd like isn't enough of a luxury? I wouldn't call Wayne Gretzky a neglectful father but he was at the tournament every time he was asked. That's loyalty and Bourque lacked it later on in his career regardless of how you want to spin it.

Don't take my word for it, Don Cherry himself a guy who never said a negative thing about Bourque criticized him for it in the 1996 World Cup. Shall I bring up the video?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
So having your summers off being able to retire whenever you'd like isn't enough of a luxury? I wouldn't call Wayne Gretzky a neglectful father but he was at the tournament every time he was asked. That's loyalty and Bourque lacked it later on in his career regardless of how you want to spin it.

Don't take my word for it, Don Cherry himself a guy who never said a negative thing about Bourque criticized him for it in the 1996 World Cup. Shall I bring up the video?
What Don Cherry thinks, that 'family man' Gretzky made time to play in CC, or that Bourque had the luxury of summers off is all immaterial.
Fact is - a person is never neglectful for choosing family first regardless of how much time normally spent with them.....and particularly when the alternative is some sports tournament.

Now if Bourque was fishing with buddies or gambling in Vegas you'd have a point, but I don't think this was the case.

Sorry, but family >> canada cup

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:09 PM
vadim sharifijanov

this is kind of beside the point, because i don't judge ray bourque for his summertime choices. but no one in the history of the game has played as many minutes as ray bourque did.

in '91, he was coming off 13 playoff rounds in the last four years, all while routinely playing 30-35 minutes a game, and usually more than that in the playoffs. whatever else was going on in his life, the man needed a rest, even if he was a physical freak.

in '96, he's still averaging 30 minutes a game and he's 35 years old. he's played ungodly minutes for the last 17 years, and made the playoffs every year too, so there's a lot of extra games right there. he'd played three canada cups, which is fine when you're 21, 24, and 27, but like markus naslund said the year sweden won in the olympics, a guy's first responsibility is to the organization that pays him millions of dollars to compete for a stanley cup, and older guys need more a break when they can get it.

i can hear the response now: if chelios can do it, ray bourque can do it. well yeah, he could have, but that doesn't mean it would have been the right decision for him.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
What Don Cherry thinks, that 'family man' Gretzky made time to play in CC, or that Bourque had the luxury of summers off is all immaterial.
Fact is - a person is never neglectful for choosing family first regardless of how much time normally spent with them.....and particularly when the alternative is some sports tournament.

Now if Bourque was fishing with buddies or gambling in Vegas you'd have a point, but I don't think this was the case.

Sorry, but family >> canada cup
Too bad the other guys who played in the NHL didn't have families either. Whether Bourque had played in the World Cup in 1996 or not he'd still have had plenty of time to spend with his family because Boston was out early. He retired at 40 years young with the ability to not lift a finger the rest of his life. Thanks to hockey and the country that taught him this game he is filthy rich for the rest of his life. He didn't have a month and a half every 5 years in his 30s to repay them? Sad.

Old
02-27-2011, 02:47 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Too bad the other guys who played in the NHL didn't have families either. Whether Bourque had played in the World Cup in 1996 or not he'd still have had plenty of time to spend with his family because Boston was out early. He retired at 40 years young with the ability to not lift a finger the rest of his life. Thanks to hockey and the country that taught him this game he is filthy rich for the rest of his life. He didn't have a month and a half every 5 years in his 30s to repay them? Sad.
again, not to make an argument moralizing about bourque's actions, just to present facts that may have some bearing on this conversation: when bourque retired at age 40, one of his sons was already off at boarding school pursuing his hockey career. his daughter was about to go off to college. his other son was the only one left at home.

Old
02-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
again, not to make an argument moralizing about bourque's actions, just to present facts that may have some bearing on this conversation: when bourque retired at age 40, one of his sons was already off at boarding school pursuing his hockey career. his daughter was about to go off to college. his other son was the only one left at home.
Chris Bourque I am assuming you are refering to. Yeah, he'd be 10 years old or so at that time in 2001. In reality, they all lived in Boston with him his whole career and Bourque would see the summers off all the time just like any other NHL player. It isn't as if Ray was fighting for his country with the chance of being blown up in Afghanistan or anything. But that 1996 defence corps for Canada was weak especially when MacInnis dropped from an injury. I think he had plenty of time to spend with his kids.

It pales in comparison to Gretzky. Here is a guy who won the Cup in 1984, 1985 and 1987. He played for the Canada Cup in 1984. He never missed an all-star game. He played full seasons. And at the end of the 1987 Cup final he suggested he needed a "break". Just suggested, that's all. In an interview all he wanted people to know is that he had played a lot of hockey and that he never said he wouldn't play in the 1987 Canada Cup. Did you see Gretzky in the 1996 World Cup? The guy had aged but was still a good hockey player. He was criticized for wanting out of L.A. and had a longer playoffs than Bourque. At the exact same age as Bourque with many children (I think Janet and Wayne have 5 kids overall) he still played in the 1996 World Cup for his country.

And Ray's excuse?

Old
02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
vadim sharifijanov

ryan bourque was 10. chris, five years older, left in ninth grade to attend prep school.

but like i said, just because it's good enough for one guy doesn't necessarily make it a moral imperative, and it doesn't mean ray is a bad person or an ungrateful jerk or whathaveyou for making a different choice.

also, as i said, i want no part of this debate. just presenting facts.

Old
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
ryan bourque was 10. chris, five years older, left in ninth grade to attend prep school.

but like i said, just because it's good enough for one guy doesn't necessarily make it a moral imperative, and it doesn't mean ray is a bad person or an ungrateful jerk or whathaveyou for making a different choice.

also, as i said, i want no part of this debate. just presenting facts.
Nah, Ray's not a bad person. But I just believe he gets off the hook more than he should regarding that.