HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XI

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2011, 09:40 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Sturm is just as good as any forward that's been traded so far, and while he may be injured, and not signed through next year, I like the fact that we payed nothing for him, while other teams are giving up a 1st + for equivalent talent.

It's not that I don't want guys like Booth, Versteeg, Fisher, Huselius, Frolik ect. It's just that I don't think any of them would make any difference on the Kings, so there's no point in giving up assets for them.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Flyers got better. Versteeg is young, a left wing, has playoff experience and performed well, is a lock at 20 goals and about 50 points. He also has a manageable contract. Philly didn't even give up a roster player or prospect

Old
02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Sturm is just as good as any forward that's been traded so far, and while he may be injured, and not signed through next year, I like the fact that we payed nothing for him, while other teams are giving up a 1st + for equivalent talent.

It's not that I don't want guys like Booth, Versteeg, Fisher, Huselius, Frolik ect. It's just that I don't think any of them would make any difference on the Kings, so there's no point in giving up assets for them.
We paid nothing to get little. Sturm hasn't shown dick to date.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Josh Deitell

I think Versteeg and Sturm are pretty comparable when healthy (for this season). We gave up a late pick, the Flyers dealt a first and a third.

It would be nice to have a more dependable winger, though one with better upside than Versteeg and for much higher of a price.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I think Versteeg and Sturm are pretty comparable when healthy (for this season). We gave up a late pick, the Flyers dealt a first and a third.
Versteeg is 24 or thereabouts. Hasn't had two knee surgeries in three years. Has won a Cup. Yeah, make Sturm younger and take away the injury history, sure, they are close. Don't and they are not.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Everyone wanting Dean to trade a 1st for immediate help - could it be that the pick is being held for a specific purpose this summer.

Nah, that can't be it. It's Dean, go back to what you were arguing about.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Do you think Dean will offer sheet someone? I don't.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:15 PM
johnjm22

Sturm's production this year has actually been pretty impressive considering he was coming back from injury. 8pts (4g, 4a) in 15 games. That puts him at a 23 goal pace, which is more than Versteeg has ever scored in his career.

If DL expects Marco to be healthy, then there's no point in trying to acquire another mediocre 20 goal scorer like Versteeg, Booth ect.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:17 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Sooo.. looks like the Avalanche have quickly fallen off the face of this earth lol, is there anyone on their team that interests you guys? Obviously Statsny, Duchene, Stewart and other guys are untouchables

Old
02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Flyers got better. Versteeg is young, a left wing, has playoff experience and performed well, is a lock at 20 goals and about 50 points. He also has a manageable contract. Philly didn't even give up a roster player or prospect
So with that said, why would Toronto trade him? Doesn't that lead you to believe there is something else wrong with him? A player with his resume/numbers really shouldn't be traded 2 times in a season unless there is something else wrong with him.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Rommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Sooo.. looks like the Avalanche have quickly fallen off the face of this earth lol, is there anyone on their team that interests you guys? Obviously Statsny, Duchene, Stewart and other guys are untouchables
Hejduk?

Old
02-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I would take HEJDUK from Colorado. He has a NMC though.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
So with that said, why would Toronto trade him? Doesn't that lead you to believe there is something else wrong with him? A player with his resume/numbers really shouldn't be traded 2 times in a season unless there is something else wrong with him.
After the Kessel trade, attaching thought and logic to Burke's moves should be presumed futile.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I would take HEJDUK from Colorado. He has a NMC though.
He respects the team enough to waive it if he is approached by the organization imo.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
Versteeg is 24 or thereabouts. Hasn't had two knee surgeries in three years. Has won a Cup. Yeah, make Sturm younger and take away the injury history, sure, they are close. Don't and they are not.
Versteeg had the fortune of coming into the league on a top team. Now he's going to another one. He's a solid player, but he's hardly the reason the Hawks won the cup. You can see what happened to him in Toronto, how he underwhelmed and failed to reach expectations, when he was expected to be a go-to player. If we're going to trade a first and a third or similar value, we better be getting a good who can play on our first line. I don't think Versteeg is that guy.

Another Stoll, Smyth, Brown, Williams, etc type. A supporting player. A good piece for a team like Philly which boasts two guys with 25+ goals on the year already, not so much for a team like the Kings which doesn't have a player who's broken the 20-goal mark.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
KingLB

Quote:
After the Kessel trade, attaching thought and logic to Burke's moves should be presumed futile.
There was thought and logic behind that trade...make the playoffs NOW, something the Steeg trade goes against. Thus why the move raises red flags against him.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Rommel

Hejduk´s UFA.

Cap.hit> 3 MI

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/COL?year=2011

Old
02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Hejduk´s UFA.

Cap.hit> 3 MI

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/COL?year=2011
Now that we're most of the way through the season, it's actually much lower.

Quote:
Just as a reminder -- When an in-season trade is made the cap hit the team takes on is a pro-rated amount of the players average annual salary. The formula: The average yearly salary for the player, divided by the number of days in the season (186) and then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season (41 days on deadline day).
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/14/n...n-deadline-da/

So it'd be just over $660k.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:02 PM
johnjm22

If Hejduk is unwilling to waive his NMC, I could see the Avalanche possibly moving David Jones. They desperately need D and goaltending.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Versteeg had the fortune of coming into the league on a top team. Now he's going to another one. He's a solid player, but he's hardly the reason the Hawks won the cup. You can see what happened to him in Toronto, how he underwhelmed and failed to reach expectations, when he was expected to be a go-to player. If we're going to trade a first and a third or similar value, we better be getting a good who can play on our first line. I don't think Versteeg is that guy.

Another Stoll, Smyth, Brown, Williams, etc type. A supporting player. A good piece for a team like Philly which boasts two guys with 25+ goals on the year already, not so much for a team like the Kings which doesn't have a player who's broken the 20-goal mark.
At the time of the trade, he is on pace to reach 20 goals again...on a ****** team that sucks from the net through defense. I don't know what you expect from a 20 goal scorer. I expect 20 goals.

In any event, doesn't really matter. He really didn't have the necessary injury history for Dean anyway

Old
02-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
At the time of the trade, he is on pace to reach 20 goals again...on a ****** team that sucks from the net through defense. I don't know what you expect from a 20 goal scorer. I expect 20 goals.

In any event, doesn't really matter. He really didn't have the necessary injury history for Dean anyway
Toronto fans were hoping for a 30-30 guy and were disappointed. I wouldn't expect him to score more than 20, I just don't think we need another 20-goal guy all that much, especially if that's the price. He's a second liner, we have plenty. I think we're on the same page on that.

Booth or bust. Mitchell's concussion issues are gone, we've been sorely lacking a guy with a headache problem since Deadmarsh left.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:58 PM
redcard

Quote:
Sturm's production this year has actually been pretty impressive considering he was coming back from injury. 8pts (4g, 4a) in 15 games. That puts him at a 23 goal pace, which is more than Versteeg has ever scored in his career.

If DL expects Marco to be healthy, then there's no point in trying to acquire another mediocre 20 goal scorer like Versteeg, Booth ect.
But if you look at his goals, you can't really expect someone to score 23 of those in a season. 1 was a deflection from a point shot, one was a really weak 5 hole by Niemi, and a 3rd was Kopitar shooting it off the back of his head and into the net. Obviously you'll take them anyway you can get them, and from a mental standpoint just having your name on the score sheet a couple times when you come back can take a tremendous amount of pressure off of you, but he hasn't really done much more than any other returning injured player has....just right place, right time kind of stuff.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Brett Butler

Quote:
it was a calculated move by DL.. we'll see if it pays off

Old
02-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I just don't see how Marco can do much this season. With the recent set back and the two knee surgeries, isn't he at best a C+ version of himself for at least 6 + months? Remember Handzus his first season? These knee injuries are tough to return from the first season back.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:34 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
But if you look at his goals, you can't really expect someone to score 23 of those in a season. 1 was a deflection from a point shot, one was a really weak 5 hole by Niemi, and a 3rd was Kopitar shooting it off the back of his head and into the net. Obviously you'll take them anyway you can get them, and from a mental standpoint just having your name on the score sheet a couple times when you come back can take a tremendous amount of pressure off of you, but he hasn't really done much more than any other returning injured player has....just right place, right time kind of stuff.
But he was there at the right place at the right time. I don't want to get into the Sturm debate because he hasn't done too much for this team, but you can't discount goals just because you want to make a point. Does that mean that Luc Robitaille's goals didn't mean anything? If you use this logic, Luc would have probably scored half the goals he did. To be honest, the Kings need more of a right place right time mentality. If the likes of Kopi/Zues/Brown/Simmonds etc etc would just shoot more and hang around the net, the Kings would score a lot more. Look at Zues' goal Saturday. Sure he was at the right place at the right time, but he knew to stand there and get the garbage goal when we needed it.

Closed Thread