HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XI

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Orenji

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
10% state income tax
high real estate
mimmal endorsement opportunities
zero hockey atmosphere
terrible travel schedule
If the Kings started winning regularly, the endorsement deals would be easy to come by. It's freaking Los Angeles. Have a good team, be a top player on said team, and you will be in the spotlight all you want. The Kings had seven years of being absolute ****, so Los Angeles hasn't clamped onto them. If they continue to improve, more bandwagoners will step up and latch onto them. Los Angeles is the second biggest city in the United States and the home of celebs.

If Kovalchuk had come, I am positive he would have gotten tons of deals and became a prominent face for the NHL. The NHL wants Los Angeles to have some sort of star they can market.

Old
02-18-2011, 07:43 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
10% state income tax
high real estate
zero hockey atmosphere
terrible travel schedule
But it's not Edmonton.

Old
02-18-2011, 09:33 AM
yankeeking

With richy on the first line you could see how it opened up the ice with some one with more play making speed( but no closing talent) and hemsky is one of the best playmakers in thre league and if he is available anyone not named schenn should be part of the package, simmonds/clifford included but not both and definately voynov, we will probably lose him if he does not get a cup of coffee at the very least.....penner should get any package not including schenn and toffoli and trying not to give up roster players it appears they dont want apparently, we need to add some talent to an organization filled with 2/3rd liners and defensive prospects. DL built the team from the backend out and we appear set in goal,on the blueline and up the middle and while hemsky appears fragile he is extremely talented and moves up contender status by a year or two, and hell once he thaws out he might like it here.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:18 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
NHLbyMatty Jim Matheson
Would Simmonds,Teubert be enough for Hemsky? Maybe, but Simmonds is abrasive 3rd liner right now, jury out on Teubert's smarts, scouts say
the verdict is in. Tuebert isnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
Yeah whatever, get back to me when he's a perennial 24 goal scorer.
I refuse to use the sarcasm smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Why wouldn't either want to re-sign with the Kings? It's not like LA or the Kings organization isn't a place that players want to play.
Quote:
10% state income tax
high real estate
zero hockey atmosphere
terrible travel schedule
Beaches (ooops DL hates that)
Weather (he probably hates that too)
Playoff bound up and coming team
Teammates who improve chances of winning
Escape the frozen North.
EDM = Hockey's Siberia

Old
02-18-2011, 10:38 AM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Escape the frozen North.
EDM = Hockey's Siberia
Having lived here since 1989 and also visiting Edmonton frequently, I have to say the difference between the two is not as stark. The shine has definitely left the veneer here for me, and I wish circumstances would not make it so difficult to leave. This is not the same place I moved to. Edmonton, while not as nice a city as Calgary (one of my favorites in North America) is not a bad place to be. Sure beats Detroit, Buffalo, Newark, and Uniondale.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
10% state income tax
high real estate
zero hockey atmosphere
terrible travel schedule
Much better weather than Edmonton, Smyth, Stoll, and Greene being former teammates making him feel welcome, IMO either guy would re-sign in LA as long as they offered them fair money.

02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Escape the frozen North.
EDM = Hockey's Siberia
You are all missing the point...I'm not comparing LA to Edmonton!

I'm comparing LA to other places where there is no state income tax (Phoenix/Dallas/others) or huge endorsement possibilities on the east coast or Canada. If you make $4 million per year you've lost over $400k coming to LA versus Dallas. Not to mention home/living expenses.

The beach is nice to some as is the weather I suppose but many hockey players prefer a hockey atmosphere.

As far as the girls go...great if you are single...really bad if the wife is the jealous type.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:49 AM
johnjm22

I'm against acquiring Hemsky if it mean Williams isn't resigned.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
If the Kings started winning regularly, the endorsement deals would be easy to come by. It's freaking Los Angeles. Have a good team, be a top player on said team, and you will be in the spotlight all you want. The Kings had seven years of being absolute ****, so Los Angeles hasn't clamped onto them. If they continue to improve, more bandwagoners will step up and latch onto them. Los Angeles is the second biggest city in the United States and the home of celebs.

If Kovalchuk had come, I am positive he would have gotten tons of deals and became a prominent face for the NHL. The NHL wants Los Angeles to have some sort of star they can market.
The Kings had the greatest hockey player of all time and I don't recall that he was awash in local endorsement deals.

Face it, LA is a passionate hockey market but a small one. Always has been...always will be.

Bottom line...the Kings will ALWAYS risk losing players to FA because there are better places to go even if the salary money is the same. That is why I prefer drafting and developing our own players...they will be around for at least their first two contracts. You acquire Hemsky and there is an 80% chance he'll be gone in a year.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:16 AM
rigger

I don't want to get into a bickering war or any arguments so I'll simply state my bit.

Look at the last 3 Stanley Cup winning teams then look at them the season following.

Chicago
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Anaheim

The year after they won these guys lost a ton of players to free agency (detroit the exception but they always are). What this shows is that in todays NHL with the salary cap and all you have a 2-3 year window of winning before your young players demand too much money and have to be moved out. Also the value in players like Stoll, Handzus etc. are higher because they are players you need if you want to win.

So while LA doesn't want to move Schenn for Hemsky, Hemsky would put your team over the top for top 6 talent and playoff experience. Extend him for a year or two and go win the cup because in 2-3 years your team will start dismantling a little. You have a window, your GM needs to decide when that window is open and then sell youth and stock up because you have a couple seasons to win it all then you're stuck in the middle of the pack again.

Just my 2 cents on this discussion.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm against acquiring Hemsky if it mean Williams isn't resigned.
I agree with this.

I know beggars can't be choosers but ideally, aren't we looking for a LW? That is where the team lacks depth.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:31 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I don't want to get into a bickering war or any arguments so I'll simply state my bit.

Look at the last 3 Stanley Cup winning teams then look at them the season following.

Chicago
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Anaheim

The year after they won these guys lost a ton of players to free agency (detroit the exception but they always are). What this shows is that in todays NHL with the salary cap and all you have a 2-3 year window of winning before your young players demand too much money and have to be moved out. Also the value in players like Stoll, Handzus etc. are higher because they are players you need if you want to win.

So while LA doesn't want to move Schenn for Hemsky, Hemsky would put your team over the top for top 6 talent and playoff experience. Extend him for a year or two and go win the cup because in 2-3 years your team will start dismantling a little. You have a window, your GM needs to decide when that window is open and then sell youth and stock up because you have a couple seasons to win it all then you're stuck in the middle of the pack again.

Politely disagree with everything you said.

Chicago and Anaheim did not manage the cap correctly and paid the price. Pittsburgh as well to a lesser extent but they are still an elite team. Detroit just keeps performing miracles.

The point is that this is not a problem in LA right now since none of the core players (Quick, Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Johnson) are even remotely close to UFA status. Since they are not, the window is MUCH longer for the Kings and older guys like Stoll, Greene, and Scuderi can be replaced by younger (and thus cheaper) players in the system when they hit UFA status. This was DL's plan all along and it seeks to avoid what Anaheim and Chicago couldn't.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post

Chicago
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Anaheim

I think what DL is trying to do is to develop a bulk of his team and supplant the team's needs with UFA's or trades. If you are able to develop a pay structure that makes sense, it is conceivable that you can compete for longer than 2 or 3 years. Hell, San Jose has been what most will call a contender for 5+ seasons now. DL may get a lot or crap for being frugal in negotiations but that may pay off big time down the road.

Right now, the Kings #1 center is making $6.8m versus the $8m or whatever Crosby and Malking BOTH make. If you go up and down the line up, the Kings have been a lot more responsible with salary then most of those teams. I'm not saying Crosby and Malkin don't deserve what they make but the Kings have reasonble salaries in almost every position over the next 2-3 years. Then if you have guys that become too expensive in 2-3 years, the idea is the stockpile of prospects in the farm will be able to step right in if somebody needs to be moved.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Looks like Kaberle to BOS has finally happened. Kaberle for Colborne, Bostons 1st, and a conditional pick. Let's see if this brings more trades today...

Oh, and HF will probably be crashed for most of the day now lol...

Old
02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I agree with this.

I know beggars can't be choosers but ideally, aren't we looking for a LW? That is where the team lacks depth.
Every team in the cap era has a weakness. I don't mind if we're stacked on one wing and a little shallow on the other.

11-10

*Sturm-Kopitar-Hemsky
Smyth-Stoll-*Williams
Clifford-Loktionov-Brown
Richardson-Schenn-Simmonds
Parse

*Resigned

Richardson/Lewis are redundant. I think one of them gets moved.

I think DL goes after Leino/Fleischmann or finds a LW willing to take a cheapish 1 yr deal (Sturm, Poni, Gagne, Sullivan, Zherdev (unlikley), Handzus? ect)

Or if all else fails Brown could go to LW even though he sucks there.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I agree with this.

Depends what you mean by depth? I don't think our RW is any better than any other elite teams RW, same as our centers. Handzus, Stoll and Lewis are hardly enough to take us to the Cup. We need upgrades everywhere except D and goaltending. Wow when's the last time Kings fans were able to say that?

Old
02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Alternate Jersey

trade market going a little insane today. OTT-COL deal, BOS-TOR deal, and BOS-ATL deal. maybe something will kick up...

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Oh, and HF will probably be crashed for most of the day now lol...
haha, yes, probably. too bad, i'm procrastinating.

Last edited by Alternate Jersey: 02-18-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: more to say
Old
02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Looks like Boston's making all their moves today.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Wow. Boston is really making a run for it.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Wow. Boston is really making a run for it.
I am jealous

Old
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM
KingsFan7824

At this rate, there won't be any deals left to do by the deadline.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Duc620

They're making a run for something, I wonder if the Wheeler trade will pan out.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
They're probably better for it. He always rubbed me the wrong way, bailing on Phoenix, then going to arbitration with Boston.

Old
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

OTT-COL

Elliot for Anderson?

What's the point?

Old
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
The deal was for cap space. Boston slightly downgraded the defenseman and temporarily upgraded the forward, but overall they likely will lose out on that deal, but they don't care, they did it for cap space so that they could land Kaberle.

Closed Thread