HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stars Acquire Jaroslav Svoboda from Hurricanes

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 12:33 PM
WuRtZLeSs

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
Stars Acquire Jaroslav Svoboda from Hurricanes

http://www.dallasstars.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=2426

For a 2005 4th rounder.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Nice deal.. Svoboda could be a high reward kinda guy. Armstrong is extremely active, probably the most active GM so far.. Re-singing Arnott, Kapanen, Sweeney, DiMaio and Klemm while trading for Belle and Svoboda..

Old
06-29-2004, 01:01 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Talk about someones stock falling.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:04 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

svoboda - rfa

look at the rfa's on carolina
jim's got some work to do:

cole oneill vasiicek ju.williams k.adams boulerice brendl vrbata n.wallin st.jacques weekes gerber c.adams a.rourke storr

Old
06-29-2004, 01:38 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Storr won't be qualified.

Not too bad for return, better then I would have expected with the current trade market being the way it is. Considdering the guy was a former 8th rounder Carolina made out allright on this one, though not great.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:41 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Nice,picking up another d-man when Matvichuk leaves...

Old
06-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm really surprised to see Svoboda go for so little. It would appear that the Hurricanes were not going to extend a qualifying offer. As mentioned above, his stock really dropped.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Svoboda is a forward..

Old
06-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
Svoboda is a forward..
Sounds like he was confusing him with Petr Svoboda.

Either of them.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Jaro is a solid forward. I have been a fan ever since the WJC. This guy was underrated for a while. His stock is not really falling that much. It's just that his stock rose probably too high when he had ONE good stretch of NHL hockey while the Canes were on the most visible platform you can find (meaningful, big time playoff hockey).

Lots of things are just not working in Carolina. This is the team headed by the most incompetent GM in the league right now. Rutherford must have nine lives and will just not disappear.

Not saying Svoboda will necesarly work out but I could see it happen. He's fairly dynamic, skates well but has a bit of a tunnel vision. Not overly physical but will manage to play in intense games. Nice shot too.

I would love to see him with a smart center and Brenden Morrow. A sort of energetic line that would be threatening as well. For such a low pick, he is a good return. Could step in right now. If it doesn't work, it's not much of a gamble.

Old
06-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Coffey77

Nice deal for the Stars. Wish detroit could add more guys like that.

Svoboda's a decent forward that can turn his career around. Not overly physical but can still be a handful when cycling the puck. Decent skills too and he's only 24.

Old
06-29-2004, 02:48 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
I believe Mr. Briere was being sarcastic about the fact Dallas hasn't addressed the proverbial 'hole" on defense when Matvichuk walks.

One more thing about Svoboda some people may not know: the guy can hit a little. I was on him a bit this season but it's not his fault the way he turned out. It's Paul Maurice insane lack of use when the season began and Jim Rutherford's unwillingness to send the guy to Lowell. I hope trading Svoboda comes back to bite us in the ass, big time. The more the world sees how much a tool Rutherford is is the better world to live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Lots of things are just not working in Carolina. This is the team headed by the most incompetent GM in the league right now. Rutherford must have nine lives and will just not disappear.
Thanks, I really needed to hear that.

Last edited by HughJass*: 06-29-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old
06-29-2004, 03:20 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
he is long time friends/ business partners with karmanos. this organization is the most nepotistic in the league. they always keep it in the family. maurice was a former player and coach on their junior team. thats why he lasted so long, not because he was such an awesome coach. im not saying he isnt good, just that the organization is he reason he lasted so many years. rutherford wouldnt have lasted more than 2 or 3 years for any other team in the league. karmanos will never fire him, its the main reason why the development of the canes has stalled, imo. i know he made a couple of good trades that helped in the cup run - but his body of work over the past 10 years is unimpressive (he traded 3 1st rounders to boston for wesley, and pronger to st louis for shanny). im glad he FINALLY has started to rebuild a bit, but its not enough for me, i wish him gone in the worst way. he just fired the cane ONLY euro scout bringing the total amout of scouts in the organization to FIVE (maybe even four - i forget). he just isnt up to snuff. i wish svoboda well and hope he gets his confidence back in dallas - he can be a great player.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:24 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
he is long time friends/ business partners with karmanos. this organization is the most nepotistic in the league.
Thanks for reminding me. Time to stroll down memory lane:

http://offthepost.net/viewtopic.php?t=3996

Btw, Tripp Tracy is the color commentator. That statement doesn't make any sense if you don't check the link....

Old
06-29-2004, 03:28 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i know he made a couple of good trades that helped in the cup run - but his body of work over the past 10 years is unimpressive (he traded 3 1st rounders to boston for wesley, and pronger to st louis for shanny).
You also forgot he basically started the insane beaucoup multi-million dollar contract when he tried to sign Fedorov as a RFA. Detroit matched it and cats have been over-paid ever since.

This has been brought to you by the National Hockey League. Over paying cats since 1997.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I believe Mr. Briere was being sarcastic about the fact Dallas hasn't addressed the proverbial 'hole" on defense when Matvichuk walks
Whether Matvichuk stays is irrelevant, the defense wouldn't suffer one bit. We currently have these defensemen under contract for next season:

1) Sergei Zubov
2) Philippe Boucher
3) Jon Klemm
4) Trevor Daley
5) Don Sweeney
6) John Erskine

And then multiple guys who can possibly step in:

7) Dan Jancevski
8) Jeff MacMillan
9) Shawn Belle

I'd say we could need another #4. While it's far from what we had from 1995/2003, it's not as bad as some people claim it is, and it actually lets us see some young fresh blood. Personally I am thrilled to see Trevor Daley step in and see how Erskine responds in what likely will be his last chance..

Anyhow, back to topic, I think Armstrong has done a great job since taking over in terms of trades and aquisitions. I liked the Barnes deal, the Sydor deal got us Fransson and Numminen, so I can't hate that one anymore either, the Bure deal provided an instant spark and really seemed to get our putrid offense going, and now he has aquired Lessard, Belle and Svoboda for Bacashihua and a 4th. Too bad he sometimes makes these boneheaded decisions during draft days.. And I mean really bad decisions, though I should maybe blame Les Jackson (Head scouting) for that moreso than Doug..

Last edited by Ajacied: 06-29-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old
06-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Whether Matvichuk stays is irrelevant, the defense wouldn't suffer one bit.
Wow, a homeristic statement if I've ever seen one. Guess Numminen and Matvichuk brought nothing to the team?

Quote:
We currently have these defensemen under contract for next season:

1) Sergei Zubov
2) Philippe Boucher
3) Jon Klemm
4) Trevor Daley
5) Don Sweeney
6) John Erskine

And then multiple guys who can possibly step in:

7) Dan Jancevski
8) Jeff MacMillan
9) Shawn Belle

I'd say we could need another #4. While it's far from what we had from 1995/2003, it's not as bad as some people claim it is, and it actually lets us see some young fresh blood. Personally I am thrilled to see Trevor Daley step in and see how Erskine responds in what likely will be his last chance.
Looks pretty rough to me. A couple injuries and you're not looking so hot at all. That's why the on paper projections are usually so innaccurate, they tend not to take into the multiple injuries that occur during the year. And what I think you might with young players like Daley is that they make mistakes. Mistakes that will cost you points and positions in the standings. It's not a horrible looking defence but it certainly doesn't scream cup contender to me. Outside of Zubov the rest of your defense would likely #5/#6 or lower guys on the best defenses in the league, there's a couple that might be #4's but I don't see a lot of top end defenders here.

I think the Stars definitely need another legitimate top 4 guy or if they want to be an elite team then they need another top 2-3 guy.

Just my opinion, perhaps I'm underrating some of them. But perhaps you're overrating some of them...

Old
06-29-2004, 07:51 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Jaro is a solid forward. I have been a fan ever since the WJC. This guy was underrated for a while. His stock is not really falling that much. It's just that his stock rose probably too high when he had ONE good stretch of NHL hockey while the Canes were on the most visible platform you can find (meaningful, big time playoff hockey).

Not saying Svoboda will necesarly work out but I could see it happen. He's fairly dynamic, skates well but has a bit of a tunnel vision. Not overly physical but will manage to play in intense games. Nice shot too.

I would love to see him with a smart center and Brenden Morrow. A sort of energetic line that would be threatening as well. For such a low pick, he is a good return. Could step in right now. If it doesn't work, it's not much of a gamble.
perfectly said, i love this guy and like this deal a lot for dallas. i've wanted svoboda as an av for three years now, saw him all the time with kootenay in the whl, and just grew to like him

your suggest of morrow/center would be great, maybe even a guy like barnes could really do the trick... big reward low risk

Old
06-29-2004, 07:55 PM
txomisc

actually yeah matvichuk is HORRIBLE...the way he has played these last two years just about anyone is an improvement

Old
06-29-2004, 09:04 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Good deal by Dallas... still need help on the backline IMO.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Spaceace

Quote:
9) Shawn Belle
I don't think Belle is ready for the NHL full time. If he is,then I don't think Pleau would have traded him for a minor-league goalie.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Jayhorns

Send a message via AIM to Jayhorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Talk about someones stock falling.
no kidding. Also, Armstrong's stock is rapidly falling. His "three year plan" completely exploded in his face. Altho the Stars should of won the cup 2 years ago when the freakish turn-a-round of the Ducks happened, then Arnott could work his old magic against and old team. But getting back to the trade. This might not be a very good deal. Svboda has not shown too terribly great promise in a system where he had a chance. Next year's draft is supposed to be deep and the Stars probably should of kept the pick. Svboda was an 8th rounder a few years back.

so:
Svboda (8th rounder)

for

4th rounder (in a deep draft)

I hope the Stars' GM isn't just getting Svboda because he could fit into the fourth line.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:15 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhorns
so:
Svboda (8th rounder)

for

4th rounder (in a deep draft)
or

svoboda (8th rounder) that HAS made it to the nhl

for

4th rounder (in a deep draft) that is only 16/17 and unknown and far far away from the nhl

Old
06-30-2004, 03:19 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Wow, a homeristic statement if I've ever seen one. Guess Numminen and Matvichuk brought nothing to the team?
Priceless coming from a Flames fan. *Makes mental picture* ..

Matvichuk was horrible, his departure will be an addition by substraction. There's a reason Chris Therien got more icetime then him in the playoffs. So no, Matvichuk didn't bring anything to this team. Numminen did, but he is no spring chicken anymore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Looks pretty rough to me. A couple injuries and you're not looking so hot at all. That's why the on paper projections are usually so innaccurate, they tend not to take into the multiple injuries that occur during the year. And what I think you might with young players like Daley is that they make mistakes. Mistakes that will cost you points and positions in the standings. It's not a horrible looking defence but it certainly doesn't scream cup contender to me. Outside of Zubov the rest of your defense would likely #5/#6 or lower guys on the best defenses in the league, there's a couple that might be #4's but I don't see a lot of top end defenders here.

I think the Stars definitely need another legitimate top 4 guy or if they want to be an elite team then they need another top 2-3 guy.

Just my opinion, perhaps I'm underrating some of them. But perhaps you're overrating some of them...
Well Philippe Boucher has been our best defenseman ever since we've aquired him, he's a legit #2/#3 IMO. We've got four top 4 defensemen if Daley plays like expected, which isn't bad, but I agree, quite thin, especially in terms of possible injuries.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Didn't feel like it deserves its own thread, so I'll just post it in here:

Stars update: Made qualifying offers to defenseman John Erskine, defenseman Dan Jancevski, right wing Mike Siklenka and left wings Jaroslav Svoboda and Mathias Tjarnqvist

Closed Thread