HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's what to do for next year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
  #1
Boose30
Registered User
 
Boose30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Colony
Country: United States
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Here's what to do for next year

Im already on the bandwagon that the sabres arent going to make the playoffs so i took a couple hrs out of my o so busy college life to put together a potential list for what the team should look like and who the sabres should get in the off season via free agency.

LW C RW
Vanek-7,142,857 B. Richards-8,300,000 Pominville-5,300,000
Ennis-875,000 Roy-4,000,000 Tanguay-2,300,000
Gerbe-950,000 Adam-687,500 Kassian-900,000
Hecht-3,525,000 Gaustad-2,300,000 McCormick-600,000
Kaleta-1,200,000


D
Ehrhoff-3,750,000 Leopold-3,000,000
Myers-1,300,000 Sekera-1,750,000
Morrisonn-2,075,000 Weber-600,000
Gragnani-600,000


G
Miller-6,250,000
Enroth-650,000

Richards gets a 1-2yr deal (good center, helps on the pp), Tanguay probably a 1yr deal(consistent point scorer, good on pp), Ehrhoff a 2-3yr deal(young, helps quarterback pp). This would put the payroll at a little over 58mill. The current cap is 59.4mill so this would give the Sabres roughly 1.4mill in excess to play around with for bonuses and what not. Theres really not a whole lot of good players on the f/a market this off season so this is the best i could come up with. Let me know if ya think of any other players that could be better than those i chose.

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
  #2
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,819
vCash: 500
Richards won't sign here.

Erhoff will get at least 5M/season.

Tanguay is the only mildly realistic option, but that's only because he's basically been a pile of suck since leaving Colorado.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
  #3
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18,675
vCash: 326
So we're getting the best center on the market and arguably the best PPQB on the market? That's not unrealistic at all.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
  #4
Boose30
Registered User
 
Boose30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Colony
Country: United States
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
ok ehrhoff is quite a long shot. replace him with alberts for 2mill and give richards a grossly overpaid 8.75-9mill. does that get richards to buffalo?

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM
  #5
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,001
vCash: 500
Awards:
More realistic -- those of a religious bent should pray and pray hard that Roy is back at nearly 100%, that some of the prospects break through as full-time, legit NHLers next season, and that someone falls into their lap to take on the #1 or #2 center duties.

As BGM pointed out, Richards is not signing for 2 years anywhere. He'll get to cash out on the final contract of his career for a serious cap hit to one of a couple of teams looking hard for that elusive #1 pivot (or possibly in the Kings case, a superior #2). The Sabres not only have social stigma working against them, but years of upper management's shoddy treatment of players during negotiations and a hard-earned reputation for following the bottom line rather than either doing right by the players or the fans. Add in them teetering on the brink of a third non-playoff year in four while continuing to thin their NHL-level talent base? Please. They need a reclaimation project who needs a place to play as much as the player needs to prove they aren't a has-been.

So queue up to the religious edifice of your choice, since it looks like divine intervention is going to be the only way out of yet another mediocre season next year.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM
  #6
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,143
vCash: 500
Nice lineup but it isn't gonna happen. I've wanted Brad Richards to sign for the Sabres for years now.

Trade Stafford (+) for a top 6 centre

Trade Connolly, Montador for picks

See if you can push the boat out for someone like Pitkanen or Ehrhoff by throwing $5m/year at them for a decent term.

Resign McCormick, Sekera and any other minor parts to fill out the roster

Maybe Admin could merge this with the other offseason thread?

I posted a proposal on the trade forum earlier today - Stafford and Sekera + to Boston for Wheeler and one of Bergeron or Krejci. Won't happen in the real world but one that could maybe work for both teams. The + from Sabres would have to be something of reasonably high value to Boston.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
  #7
Boose30
Registered User
 
Boose30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Colony
Country: United States
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
I posted a proposal on the trade forum earlier today - Stafford and Sekera + to Boston for Wheeler and one of Bergeron or Krejci. Won't happen in the real world but one that could maybe work for both teams. The + from Sabres would have to be something of reasonably high value to Boston.[/QUOTE]

i'd be willing to do stafford, sekera and our 1st for wheeler, bergeron and a 3rd

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
  #8
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
I would never wanna sign Richards with an 8.3 cap hit. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Tanguay is the only mildly realistic option, but that's only because he's basically been a pile of suck since leaving Colorado.
IMO the only time Tanguay wasn't good was on Tampa, and maybe Montreal. He was solid on Calgary, but of course he had a bit of a dip in production so Calgary went ******* and traded him, like they seemingly do with all of their star players.

I don't think Tanguay was ever a legit top flight star winger in the NHL. He was always a great fill-in for 1st line, but thrived on a secondary scoring line. His stats were a bit inflated in Colorado because of all the star power he got to work with, but as he showed in Calgary, he can make his own offense as well, and still be a point-per-game player.

Tanguay actually reminds me a bit of Pominville, even in the way he plays.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
  #9
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 35,566
vCash: 500
Richards... lol

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
  #10
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
i'd be willing to do stafford, sekera and our 1st for wheeler, bergeron and a 3rd
<----- is so glad that you're not the Sabres GM.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:53 AM
  #11
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 35,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
<----- is so glad that you're not the Sabres GM.
really? you wouldnt do that deal?

I don't think it's fully understood how uncompetitive the Sabres are going to be until they solve the top 6 center problem.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
  #12
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
really? you wouldnt do that deal?

I don't think it's fully understood how uncompetitive the Sabres are going to be until they solve the top 6 center problem.
Totally agree.

I would do Boose's deal and not think too hard about it - unless its a top 5 pick of course. Krejci would probably be my preferred choice of the two but I like both a lot as players. Either combined with Roy would make for a very good 1a/1b combo - neither are out and out first liners but can do a good job.

Not sure the pick is what Boston is looking for but you would never know - having two top 15 picks, likely top 10 is never a bad thing. They are loaded at C, Staff is probably a better bet for them than Wheeler at this stage, and Sekera already has some chemistry playing with Chara, and would be a cheap solution for a team need they have. Maybe swap out the 1st for a Brennan or Pysyk - I don't know what their prospect situation is.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
  #13
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
really? you wouldnt do that deal?

I don't think it's fully understood how uncompetitive the Sabres are going to be until they solve the top 6 center problem.
Stafford = Wheeler
Bergeron >/>> Sekera
1st [probably top 7] >>>>> 3rd


Not a chance I would do that. The Bruins will already have two top prospects due to the Leafs incompetence....why would we give them another top 10 pick for Bergeron? The Sabres are more than a top 6 center away from being competitive. It's time to scrap most of the existing core and start building around top young guys like Myers, Ennis, Kassian, and hopefully this year's 1st rounder.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:16 PM
  #14
Loungie
Registered User
 
Loungie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
Im already on the bandwagon that the sabres arent going to make the playoffs so i took a couple hrs out of my o so busy college life to put together a potential list for what the team should look like and who the sabres should get in the off season via free agency.

LW C RW
Vanek-7,142,857 B. Richards-8,300,000 Pominville-5,300,000
Ennis-875,000 Roy-4,000,000 Tanguay-2,300,000
Gerbe-950,000 Adam-687,500 Kassian-900,000
Hecht-3,525,000 Gaustad-2,300,000 McCormick-600,000
Kaleta-1,200,000


D
Ehrhoff-3,750,000 Leopold-3,000,000
Myers-1,300,000 Sekera-1,750,000
Morrisonn-2,075,000 Weber-600,000
Gragnani-600,000


G
Miller-6,250,000
Enroth-650,000

Richards gets a 1-2yr deal (good center, helps on the pp), Tanguay probably a 1yr deal(consistent point scorer, good on pp), Ehrhoff a 2-3yr deal(young, helps quarterback pp). This would put the payroll at a little over 58mill. The current cap is 59.4mill so this would give the Sabres roughly 1.4mill in excess to play around with for bonuses and what not. Theres really not a whole lot of good players on the f/a market this off season so this is the best i could come up with. Let me know if ya think of any other players that could be better than those i chose.
Id dump Hecht and give Kaleta the full time job at 4th line. All Jochen's doing is eating cap space being a 4th line player. I wouldnt get Tanguay either cause i dont think he'd fit in Buffalo very well.

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 01:25 PM
  #15
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 500
It's kind of unrealistic...

Also, from what I've heard, Tanguay doesn't want any more 1 year deals, likes Calgary, and doesn't want to move his family again.

What happened to Stafford?

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:00 PM
  #16
Havok89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
I posted a proposal on the trade forum earlier today - Stafford and Sekera + to Boston for Wheeler and one of Bergeron or Krejci. Won't happen in the real world but one that could maybe work for both teams. The + from Sabres would have to be something of reasonably high value to Boston.
i'd be willing to do stafford, sekera and our 1st for wheeler, bergeron and a 3rd[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't

Havok89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:51 PM
  #17
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 11,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
ok ehrhoff is quite a long shot. replace him with alberts for 2mill and give richards a grossly overpaid 8.75-9mill. does that get richards to buffalo?
It's not about the money when it comes to signing in Buffalo. It's about the city.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
  #18
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18,675
vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
It's not about the money when it comes to signing in Buffalo. It's about the city.
Yep, pretty much. It hasn't helped that management has shot themselves in their collective feet on multiple occasions, but Buffalo is not a destination for these top players.

The city sucks, relative to their other options. The team is likely to miss the playoffs for the third time in four years. Buffalo just isn't getting those type of players.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:18 PM
  #19
comeonnow
Registered User
 
comeonnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: arcade, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
What about Brooks Laich?

comeonnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
  #20
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 35,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Stafford = Wheeler
Bergeron >/>> Sekera
1st [probably top 7] >>>>> 3rd


Not a chance I would do that. The Bruins will already have two top prospects due to the Leafs incompetence....why would we give them another top 10 pick for Bergeron? The Sabres are more than a top 6 center away from being competitive. It's time to scrap most of the existing core and start building around top young guys like Myers, Ennis, Kassian, and hopefully this year's 1st rounder.


I would trade Stafford, Sekera, 1st for Bergeron... i dont even care about Wheeler...

If the Sabres are drafting 7th, they aren't getting an impact pick... they are getting Blake Wheeler (Brandon Saad).

Im all about building around the "new" core... and if I have the chance to add a top 6 center at 25 yrs old... at the cost of two secondary pieces and a 1st rounder... im doing it every day of the week, and twice on sundays...

im flabbergasted with your opinion. you must think finding another top 6 center is going to be easy... lol

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
  #21
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post


I would trade Stafford, Sekera, 1st for Bergeron... i dont even care about Wheeler...
Same. As said above, we're going to be hovering at mediocre until our center problem is solved. Getting someone as the #1 to put Roy second on the depth chart is the biggest step we need to take to get to the next level. Signing Richards would be perfect; unrealistic.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
  #22
ohheyimmark
Registered User
 
ohheyimmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post


I would trade Stafford, Sekera, 1st for Bergeron... i dont even care about Wheeler...

If the Sabres are drafting 7th, they aren't getting an impact pick... they are getting Blake Wheeler (Brandon Saad).

Im all about building around the "new" core... and if I have the chance to add a top 6 center at 25 yrs old... at the cost of two secondary pieces and a 1st rounder... im doing it every day of the week, and twice on sundays...

im flabbergasted with your opinion. you must think finding another top 6 center is going to be easy... lol
I agree with this. Two inconsistent players that may or may not have figured it out this year plus a first for a true first line talent. No question I make this deal.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 01:03 AM
  #23
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,200
vCash: 500
Blah blah blah center depth; blah blah blah, center depth.

8-4-1.

Our record since the injury to Roy.

0 G, 6 A, -2, 11 GP.

Connolly's stats since Roy's injury.

Folks, I'm not mocking anybody (and if I were, it would be myself), but somebody needs to 'splain to Lucy how Buffalo is able to complete its most successful stretch of hockey while effectively being without the productive services of it's top two centers.

Curiouser and curiouser!

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 07:38 AM
  #24
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
I agree with this. Two inconsistent players that may or may not have figured it out this year plus a first for a true first line talent. No question I make this deal.
Bergeron's not even a PPG player on a great team. Bergeron was outproduced by Connolly just last year.

Stafford is younger and has a greater value with his breakout season this year than Wheeler. There's also not much of a difference in their previous seasons to suggest Wheeler is going to be more productive.

Sekera is starting to show things are beginning to click for him and is only 24. I'd hate to be so patient with his development and then let a division rival reap the rewards.

Most of the top teams in the league built from top 10 talent in the draft. With our pick having the potential to get us another piece to build around with Myers, Ennis, Kassian, etc... I wouldn't be willing to exchange it for a third as a sweetner for another 1a/1b talent.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 08:08 AM
  #25
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post


I would trade Stafford, Sekera, 1st for Bergeron... i dont even care about Wheeler...

If the Sabres are drafting 7th, they aren't getting an impact pick... they are getting Blake Wheeler (Brandon Saad).
Every year there is a guy who falls further than expected. Are you willing to deal that pick with the possibility that SC or Strome falls to you? I'm sure as hell not, at least not for Bergeron.

Quote:
Im all about building around the "new" core... and if I have the chance to add a top 6 center at 25 yrs old... at the cost of two secondary pieces and a 1st rounder... im doing it every day of the week, and twice on sundays...
25 years old means he will be hitting UFA soon. Do you want him leaving as a UFA as soon as Myers, Ennis, et al are finding their NHL groove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Bergeron's not even a PPG player on a great team. Bergeron was outproduced by Connolly just last year.

Stafford is younger and has a greater value with his breakout season this year than Wheeler. There's also not much of a difference in their previous seasons to suggest Wheeler is going to be more productive.

Sekera is starting to show things are beginning to click for him and is only 24. I'd hate to be so patient with his development and then let a division rival reap the rewards.

Most of the top teams in the league built from top 10 talent in the draft. With our pick having the potential to get us another piece to build around with Myers, Ennis, Kassian, etc... I wouldn't be willing to exchange it for a third as a sweetner for another 1a/1b talent.
Plus all of what Dig said. Bergeron isn't the cure for the problem. Could he be part of it? Sure, why not. But I'm not willing to give up that much just to start to address it.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.