HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic players to target at the trade deadline

Old
02-17-2011, 03:10 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Here's a weird one: Scott Gomez.

Say the option was there for something like Gomez and a 1st for Pominville, would you do it?
Yuck... I think my dislike for Gomez trumps that for Roy! Even if he had half his cap hit I wouldnt want him.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Here's a weird one: Scott Gomez.

Say the option was there for something like Gomez and a 1st for Pominville, would you do it?
Although he has a big cap number, his salary does drop for the last 2 of 3 remaining years...

i've never liked his game...

but any possible center acquisition is intriguing

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Pengo

Gomez + Eller for Pominville

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

With Bieksa on the shelf for 2 to 3 weeks with a broken foot, call up Vancouver and offer Rivet & Persson for Bieksa.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
With the acquisition of Versteeg, speculation on the Flyers board is that Leino could be on the move.

27 years old. 39 points in 56 games. On top of that, he had an impressive 09-10 playoffs, putting up 21 points in 19 games. And he's not a midget. Something Darcy should consider?

I'm not sure of his contract status.

Last edited by The Big Chill: 02-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder44 View Post
If it's true that Pegula wants to win multiple cups, the Sabres should make deals that will bring more than rentals. If the Sabres can find a reasonably-priced center to bring in for the rest of the season, the Kings are desperate for a top six forward, so:

C- Tim Connolly
RW- Corey Tropp
3rd round pick
--for--
RW- Wayne Simmonds - 22 years-old - 6-2, 185
D- Colten Tuebert - 20 years-old - 6-4, 194

Sabres add size, grit and youth (and in Teubert's case, nasty) for the third line and the blue-line for the next several years. Kings get a proven playmaker for their top six.
The Kings wouldn't trade Wayne Simmonds alone for that package.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
With the acquisition of Versteeg, speculation on the Flyers board is that Leino could be on the move.

27 years old. 39 points in 56 games. On top of that, he had an impressive 09-10 playoffs, putting up 21 points in 19 games. And he's not a midget. Something Darcy should consider?

I'm not sure of his contract status.
I wouldn't mind seeing Darcy pursue him, but I believe Philly's trying to move Zherdev instead. Leino's a UFA after this year.

Last edited by OpethianSabre20: 02-17-2011 at 08:27 PM.
OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ruutu went for next to nothing. Good pickup for the Ducks.

02-17-2011, 08:20 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

I've thought about the Gomez thing too. I'm not high on him, or his game but he does address a need, is not a midget, and has always been part of winning teams. we also have problems luring UFAs to come here. So if we are going to change the culture of this team, we might have to bite on a bad contract like this.

I'm not sure I'd do Pomms for him though. I'd want a bad contract going back, and Pomms at least is consistent, quietly consistent, plays two-way game, etc.

I guess it would involve a few trades for Gomez.

Let Rivet retire a Canadian. Butler, Rivet for Gomez. I'm sure it would be helping out the Canadians for UFA/Cap space.

Then trade connolly for the 2nd, or whatever package.

Then figure out what LA wants for Stoll....a package of Gausted, Gerbe, Connolly, Sekera, prospect, picks. What do they need for their stretch run?

If we started the season with Roy, Gomez and Stoll...all probably possible trades.....I'd be pretty happy. I'm still betting that Stoll would then be the next captain.

Gomez wouldn't be my first choice, or one that I would call sexy but as long as we could bring in a Stoll type for that 3rd line duty, we'd be much, much better off.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Pengo

Not that Pominville isn't a good player, but he's making $2M a season (average) less than Gomez for the same number of seasons. And unlike Gomez, Pominville's actual salary doesn't decrease.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:27 PM
boots electric

vCash: 50
This would be more of an offseason move as opposed to a deadline move, but would there be any interest whatsoever in going after Tuomo Ruutu? He's cleared up some of the nagging injury concerns this year and is having one hell of a season in Carolina.

14 Goals
30 Assists
14 PPPs
42 PIMS
220 Hits

There's one year left on his contract and Carolina's got a lot of signings to make next year.

If we were to pick him up and it didn't work out, we could just ship him off next deadline. I'm sure someone out there would pay dearly for the type of game he brings, especially a team going for the long stretch run.

Last edited by boots electric: 02-17-2011 at 09:33 PM.
boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:40 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
WTF is Murray doing, I mean, besides single handedly destroying the the trade market for veteran talent? Fisher for a 1st? Kelly for a 2nd? And now Ruttu for a 6th? Please, he's worth at least a 5th, right?

I guess tanking is the only objective, return on assets be damned.

In light of these trades, Grier is probably worth a 5th rounder, and Rivet gets us "future considerations," which is just a polite way of saying he's worth nothing.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Gomez + Eller for Pominville
I would probably do that. I'm not a fan of Gomez at all, but our center depth would go from poor to very good with that deal. Eller looks like a future 2nd line center and would fit in the lineup going forward as the third line center behind Roy and Gomez. I don't think Pominville is going anywhere, though, but who knows how we'll operate under Pegula.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:58 PM
boots electric

Another idea:

Connolly for Prospal, 2nd.

They're both oft injured and on the surface this one doesn't look like anything special, but think about it.

Prospal has made a name for himself playing with top-line talent in spite of the fact that he's never really been anything special. He plays a very smart game, and if we're looking for a center who will feed Vanek the puck, he'll do it.

Connolly is undoubtedly the more talented of the two, but he's in desperate need of a change of scenery. Sather also has a hardon for ex-Sabres.

This seems like a text-book trade that works for both teams. It works cap-wise, it doesn't totally trash our chances of making a playoff run, and allows us to get something for Connolly. The 2nd might have to be downgraded to a 3rd though.

Thoughts?

Old
02-17-2011, 10:08 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Thoughts?
Trading Connolly in the midst of a playoff push is controversial enough. Trading him to the team directly above us in the rankings is doubly controversial.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Another idea:

They're both oft injured and on the surface this one doesn't look like anything special, but think about it.

Prospal has made a name for himself playing with top-line talent in spite of the fact that he's never really been anything special. He plays a very smart game, and if we're looking for a center who will feed Vanek the puck, he'll do it.

Connolly is undoubtedly the more talented of the two, but he's in desperate need of a change of scenery. Sather also has a hardon for ex-Sabres.

This seems like a text-book trade that works for both teams. It works cap-wise, it doesn't totally trash our chances of making a playoff run, and allows us to get something for Connolly. The 2nd might have to be downgraded to a 3rd though.

Thoughts?
I didn't even know he was in the League still...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
boots electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
I didn't even know he was in the League still...
58 points in 75 games last year centering gaborik

Old
02-18-2011, 12:59 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
This would be more of an offseason move as opposed to a deadline move, but would there be any interest whatsoever in going after Tuomo Ruutu? He's cleared up some of the nagging injury concerns this year and is having one hell of a season in Carolina.

14 Goals
30 Assists
14 PPPs
42 PIMS
220 Hits

There's one year left on his contract and Carolina's got a lot of signings to make next year.

If we were to pick him up and it didn't work out, we could just ship him off next deadline. I'm sure someone out there would pay dearly for the type of game he brings, especially a team going for the long stretch run.
I think Rutherford wants him around long term, but if negotiations don't go well, I'd move a first for him without hesitation.

Someone I'd really pay the farm for though is Benn out in Dallas. I know he's injured right now, but if there's a kid to build around, it's him.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not surprising - Ruutu's best days were as a Canuck. Kaleta brings more to the table for a lot less money than Ruutu does now IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Sabretip

Granted, he's 33 and has two more years at $4.2M left but if Connolly is jettisoned and Richards is unattainable, Andy McDonald would be a center worth considering IMO. He's always been a productive player and decent playmaker - despite injuries this year that have limited him to 31 games, he's put up 23 points. He may not be # 1 center material but, with Roy back next year, at least provides a better option than Connolly. I doubt the Blues would expect much back for him as he's slipped down their depth chart.

When he was paired with Selanne in Anaheim, he had good success and might be a good set-up man for Vanek.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:10 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Granted, he's 33 and has two more years at $4.2M left but if Connolly is jettisoned and Richards is unattainable, Andy McDonald would be a center worth considering IMO. He's always been a productive player and decent playmaker - despite injuries this year that have limited him to 31 games, he's put up 23 points. He may not be # 1 center material but, with Roy back next year, at least provides a better option than Connolly. I doubt the Blues would expect much back for him as he's slipped down their depth chart.

When he was paired with Selanne in Anaheim, he had good success and might be a good set-up man for Vanek.
I could see McDonald and Vanek having some chemistry. Andy is a great playmaker and a good all-around offensive talent, but he would allow Vanek to do some work with the puck as well.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:28 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
I've thought about the Gomez thing too. I'm not high on him, or his game but he does address a need, is not a midget, and has always been part of winning teams. we also have problems luring UFAs to come here. So if we are going to change the culture of this team, we might have to bite on a bad contract like this.

I'm not sure I'd do Pomms for him though. I'd want a bad contract going back, and Pomms at least is consistent, quietly consistent, plays two-way game, etc.

I guess it would involve a few trades for Gomez.

Let Rivet retire a Canadian. Butler, Rivet for Gomez. I'm sure it would be helping out the Canadians for UFA/Cap space.

Then trade connolly for the 2nd, or whatever package.

Then figure out what LA wants for Stoll....a package of Gausted, Gerbe, Connolly, Sekera, prospect, picks. What do they need for their stretch run?

If we started the season with Roy, Gomez and Stoll...all probably possible trades.....I'd be pretty happy. I'm still betting that Stoll would then be the next captain.

Gomez wouldn't be my first choice, or one that I would call sexy but as long as we could bring in a Stoll type for that 3rd line duty, we'd be much, much better off.
Connolly can play for two teams! haha

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:30 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Another idea:

Thoughts?
ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE

Old
02-18-2011, 03:32 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Trading Connolly for another Connolly....injury proned guy with cuncussions-andy mcdonald

Old
02-18-2011, 03:41 AM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Would love to pry Colin Wilson from the Preds 13g, 25a, 6-1, 219 pounds, and he's only 21 years old.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote