HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Realistic players to target at the trade deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2011, 07:44 PM
  #1
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks
 
Rivet52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,826
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Realistic players to target at the trade deadline

We had one of these threads last year so I figured why not start one up for this season and start speculating on some players who we could realistically acquire and who could fill some holes on our roster and make us a better team.

Well, we sit in 10th place in the Eastern Conference right now. We play the Islanders at home tomorrow night and have a chance at closing in on the Hurricanes and 8th with a win. So we're in the thick of things and I'd say it's safe to say we'll make a trade or two at the deadline.

So, I'll start. Center has been a weak position for this team for years now and having Roy out with injury for so long only makes the position weaker. We've been playing well lately, but I'd like to add another center, preferably a top 6 one. While many of us want that true 1st line center we haven't had since Briere left, there just aren't realistically any available right now. Maybe adding another top 6 center could help us.

Jason Arnott, C, NJD - The Devils are climbing the Eastern Conference standings as of late but in all likelihood it won't be enough to make the playoffs so Arnott should be available. Cap hit of 4.5M and he's a UFA on July 1st. Has a NMC but if he waives for a contender, it could happen. 13-11-24 in 55 GP this season. He's a -9 but that doesn't say much considering how bad the Devils have been this year. He's a big center at 6'5" 220. Good shot, especially a good slapper. Not bad on faceoffs, winning 52.2% this year so far. He's a veteran and a leader and we all know management and the coaching staff likes those kinds of guys. Has a lot of playoff experience and a Stanley Cup ring. I think he'd be a guy that could chip in offensively, play well enough defensively, win some draws, and make our top 6 a little bigger. I know a lot of teams are going to be interested in getting him but if we can dump one of our bigger, expiring contracts there's a chance I think.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:53 PM
  #2
Pengo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Something tells me that Arnott would be the next Torres/Moore...

I like the idea of Stephen Weiss. He'd be an alright replacement for Roy and is signed for $3.1M a season until 2013.

And a Ducks fan on the Trade board proposed a Connolly for Andy Sutton trade. Thoughts?

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:59 PM
  #3
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks
 
Rivet52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,826
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Something tells me that Arnott would be the next Torres/Moore...

I like the idea of Stephen Weiss. He'd be an alright replacement for Roy and is signed for $3.1M a season until 2013.

And a Ducks fan on the Trade board proposed a Connolly for Andy Sutton trade. Thoughts?
I'd probably consider it, although maybe not straight-up Connolly for Sutton. I love Sutton and wanted him this summer before we got Morrisonn. The problem would be we'd have way too many defensemen on our roster. We'd have to ship someone else out. Sutton is slow but with the speed of our team and our defense in general I don't think he'd hurt us. Adding him would make us a more physical team, a little bigger and meaner especially on defense, and we'd have a crease-clear that we clearly need badly.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:54 PM
  #4
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I'd probably consider it, although maybe not straight-up Connolly for Sutton. I love Sutton and wanted him this summer before we got Morrisonn. The problem would be we'd have way too many defensemen on our roster. We'd have to ship someone else out. Sutton is slow but with the speed of our team and our defense in general I don't think he'd hurt us. Adding him would make us a more physical team, a little bigger and meaner especially on defense, and we'd have a crease-clear that we clearly need badly.
Here are some names, all UFAs-to-be, that I think could help us out.

Andy Sutton
Jason Arnott
Marty Reasoner
Bryan McCabe
John Madden
Peter Budaj
Craig Anderson
Matheiu Garon
Jose Theodore
Johan Hedberg
Ty Conklin

I'd also consider taking a run at Sammy Pahlson, even though he has 2 years left on his contract at $2.65 million, if we have the space.


Last edited by msm29: 02-11-2011 at 09:10 PM.
msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
  #5
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Here are some names, all UFAs-to-be, that I think could help us out.

Andy Sutton
Jason Arnott
Marty Reasoner
Bryan McCabe
John Madden
Sammy Pahlson
Peter Budaj
Craig Anderson
Matheiu Garon
Jose Theodore
Johan Hedberg
Ty Conklin
He has one more year left at 2.65mil (cap hit and actual salary)

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:09 PM
  #6
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He has one more year left at 2.65mil (cap hit and actual salary)
True. Forgot to single him out. Still, a guy I wouldn't mind picking up, even for two years, if we have the space.

He's affective at what he does, but I'm not sure he's worth that cap hit.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:11 PM
  #7
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I highly doubt Craig Anderson is available with Forsberg signing there.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:12 PM
  #8
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
True. Forgot to single him out. Still, a guy I wouldn't mind picking up, even for two years, if we have the space.

He's affective at what he does, but I'm not sure he's worth that cap hit.
Pahlson/Goose as your bottom 6 centers isn't too bad. Though a bit pricey.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:16 PM
  #9
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Here are some names, all UFAs-to-be, that I think could help us out.

Andy Sutton
Jason Arnott
Marty Reasoner
Bryan McCabe
John Madden
Peter Budaj
Craig Anderson
Matheiu Garon
Jose Theodore
Johan Hedberg
Ty Conklin

I'd also consider taking a run at Sammy Pahlson, even though he has 2 years left on his contract at $2.65 million, if we have the space.
I wouldnt give anything more then a 4th for anyone on that list

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:26 PM
  #10
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I highly doubt Craig Anderson is available with Forsberg signing there.
There's a decent chance Forsberg is gone at the deadline as well if he proves he belongs and the Avs still are out of the playoffs. Unless they're planning on re-signing him, they're still on the outside looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Pahlson/Goose as your bottom 6 centers isn't too bad. Though a bit pricey.
Absolutely. Or Madden (though he'd only be for this year and is hitting the end of his career). If we have the space and decide it's not going to be a problem next year, it's definitely a move I'd make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I wouldnt give anything more then a 4th for anyone on that list
That's your opinion. I could make an argument that everyone there is an upgrade on what we have right now, or a guy who could be very useful in the playoffs.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:40 PM
  #11
CaptPantalones
Registered User
 
CaptPantalones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Stephen Weiss is my number 1 interest, playoffs or not.

Rental wise, Jason Arnott.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:22 PM
  #12
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,483
vCash: 500
Hedberg has been playing well I wouldn't mind bringing him in. Does NJ let him go though when the value is so low? He's been playing really well for them.

Arnott is another one I wouldn't mind bringing in. Adds size, grit, leadership, and the odd goal to the team. Not a bad move for a team looking for a playoff push and shouldn't cost much to acquire.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:25 PM
  #13
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
I still don't get why people want Stephen Weiss so bad.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
  #14
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I still don't get why people want Stephen Weiss so bad.
2 derek roy's are better then 1?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:44 PM
  #15
Pengo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Even if he is another Derek Roy (which I would be happy with either way), there's a chance that he could develop some chemistry with Vanek.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:05 PM
  #16
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,014
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I still don't get why people want Stephen Weiss so bad.
1) 60 pts per season. Good #2C numbers.
2) $3.1 cap hit through 2012-13.
3) Plays all three phases.
4) Takes pressure off Adam to produce early in his career.
5) Pretty durable--averaged 77 games over last four seasons. After Connolly, it'll be nice not to worry about whether one of your top-6 centers will give you a lot of games in a season.
6) Good at faceoffs: 54%.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:40 PM
  #17
1970
Registered User
 
1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 1970
Zenon Konopka. One tough player that could play on our 4th line.

Not sure if anybody noticed, but theres some real big, physical teams in the east. We need to get reinforcements for when we play someone who tries to push us around.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:03 AM
  #18
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
Zenon Konopka. One tough player that could play on our 4th line.

Not sure if anybody noticed, but theres some real big, physical teams in the east. We need to get reinforcements for when we play someone who tries to push us around.
Like the idea in theory. Is he an UFA-to-be?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:47 AM
  #19
1970
Registered User
 
1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Like the idea in theory. Is he an UFA-to-be?
Yes.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:03 AM
  #20
joechip
Registered User
 
joechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I wouldnt give anything more then a 4th for anyone on that list
/agree. But I would be happy to throw a 4th at a few of them.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:04 AM
  #21
joechip
Registered User
 
joechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
1) 60 pts per season. Good #2C numbers.
2) $3.1 cap hit through 2012-13.
3) Plays all three phases.
4) Takes pressure off Adam to produce early in his career.
5) Pretty durable--averaged 77 games over last four seasons. After Connolly, it'll be nice not to worry about whether one of your top-6 centers will give you a lot of games in a season.
6) Good at faceoffs: 54%.
No real support either. On a team with established wingers and another good centerman, Weiss may blossom. He's still young yet as well... time left to crest.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:11 AM
  #22
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,236
vCash: 500
Awards:
Before taking a look at who, taking a look at what the team needs first might be in order and then rank what is most important to them. We don't know what the other off-ice influences might do too -- ownership change and all of the possible ramifications there in particular. Targeting players on teams that are sellers is possible, but so to is looking for a part from a team up against the cap that need to clear space.

Possible positions to upgrade:

- Center: The injury to Roy, Connolly's ongoing floundering, Hecht playing out of position, Niedermayer's incompetence... there are all sorts of reasons to look for an upgrade in the middle. Identifying what sort of player, rental or longer-term addition, offensively capable, defensively oriented or physical and then who's available from the list of teams selling.
- Defense? Only if Montador's concussion is long-term would I expect them to shop for D rather than looking to move D (Rivet, Butler). Sekera-Myers, Leopold-Montador, Morrisonn-Weber have been pretty good, relatively safe and provide a good mix of skating and physical play.
- Wing? Far less so than center or D -- Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, and Ennis give them four productive/dangerous scoring line wingers. McCormick, Gerbe, and at times Grier and even Niedermayer of late have given them energy or smart forechecking/cycle. Kaleta's been in and out, gives them a loose cannon type but health concerns are certainly there with him between his persistent neck problems and what happens from throwing oneself at both players and the path of shots. A competitent, vet winger with a physical element wouldn't be out of line.
- The backup goaltending debate is one that would have to be settled between Ruff, Miller, and Regier. Lalime is here because of Miller and bringing in another guy to take that position will disturb the nest so to speak.

So priorities...

- Center.
.
.
.
- Defense if Monty is hurt long-term
.
.
- Vet checking type winger.

(Part II... Who?)

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:43 AM
  #23
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,014
vCash: 50
A team I'm watching right now is the Coyotes. They're currently in 7th, but only four points clear of 11th. They have a tough schedule leading up to the deadline:

vs CHI
vs WAS
vs ATL
@ NAS
@ PHI
@ TB
@ CLB
@ CHI

If they slip back to 10th-11th, I wonder if they'd be looking to sell some pieces. They have two bottom-6 centers--Belanger and Vernon Fiddler--that should be of some interest to the Sabres. Both are good PKers and solid at the dot (55% and 53%, respectively). Both are signed to reasonable contracts, as well.

Belanger (3rd?) would probably cost more than Fiddler (4th?). But both could be options if we're looking at bottom-6 centers.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
  #24
joechip
Registered User
 
joechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
A team I'm watching right now is the Coyotes. They're currently in 7th, but only four points clear of 11th. They have a tough schedule leading up to the deadline:

vs CHI
vs WAS
vs ATL
@ NAS
@ PHI
@ TB
@ CLB
@ CHI

If they slip back to 10th-11th, I wonder if they'd be looking to sell some pieces. They have two bottom-6 centers--Belanger and Vernon Fiddler--that should be of some interest to the Sabres. Both are good PKers and solid at the dot (55% and 53%, respectively). Both are signed to reasonable contracts, as well.

Belanger (3rd?) would probably cost more than Fiddler (4th?). But both could be options if we're looking at bottom-6 centers.
I like Fiddler over Belanger. Better skater. But both are good guys.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:10 AM
  #25
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Before taking a look at who, taking a look at what the team needs first might be in order and then rank what is most important to them. We don't know what the other off-ice influences might do too -- ownership change and all of the possible ramifications there in particular. Targeting players on teams that are sellers is possible, but so to is looking for a part from a team up against the cap that need to clear space.

Possible positions to upgrade:

- Center: The injury to Roy, Connolly's ongoing floundering, Hecht playing out of position, Niedermayer's incompetence... there are all sorts of reasons to look for an upgrade in the middle. Identifying what sort of player, rental or longer-term addition, offensively capable, defensively oriented or physical and then who's available from the list of teams selling.
- Defense? Only if Montador's concussion is long-term would I expect them to shop for D rather than looking to move D (Rivet, Butler). Sekera-Myers, Leopold-Montador, Morrisonn-Weber have been pretty good, relatively safe and provide a good mix of skating and physical play.
- Wing? Far less so than center or D -- Vanek, Pominville, Stafford, and Ennis give them four productive/dangerous scoring line wingers. McCormick, Gerbe, and at times Grier and even Niedermayer of late have given them energy or smart forechecking/cycle. Kaleta's been in and out, gives them a loose cannon type but health concerns are certainly there with him between his persistent neck problems and what happens from throwing oneself at both players and the path of shots. A competitent, vet winger with a physical element wouldn't be out of line.
- The backup goaltending debate is one that would have to be settled between Ruff, Miller, and Regier. Lalime is here because of Miller and bringing in another guy to take that position will disturb the nest so to speak.

So priorities...

- Center.
.
.
.
- Defense if Monty is hurt long-term
.
.
- Vet checking type winger.

(Part II... Who?)
If they're fine with taking non-UFAs, toss Mike Weaver into that Weiss deal and call it a deadline?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.