HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Gloves

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
  #1
datsyukianLIKE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: kalamazoo michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Best Gloves

im in the market for a new pair of gloves what do you think is the best?

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:19 AM
  #2
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Well if you got the cash....Eagles

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
  #3
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Out there right now... I still like the Eagle PPF's

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
  #4
OvenChicken8
Registered User
 
OvenChicken8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
I recently got the Vapor XXXX and they feel great. Then again, anything was an upgrade on my Hespelers

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
  #5
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
imo, any of the top tier gloves from eagle, warrior or bauer are great. all depends on what you're looking for in regards to fit, feel, protection and looks. i'm also intrigued by the upcoming 4 rolls from reebok.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
  #6
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,397
vCash: 500
Best custom are Eagle PPF or Warrior Franchise IMO. Best retail are Eagle PPF, Bauer 4-Roll, Bauer Vapor X:60 Pro, and the Easton EQ50 looks pretty good too. All IMO of course.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
  #7
RJC
Registered User
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
"Best" what does that even mean... it all depends on what kind of fit you want. Goto a hockeyshop and try on 10 pairs and see what you like the best in terms of fit,palm,size etc... this is pointless question.

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:56 PM
  #8
datsyukianLIKE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: kalamazoo michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
actually it isnt a pointless question if you dont like it dont reply simple...btw i said what kind of gloves do you think are the best not what are the best gloves i can buy

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
  #9
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukianLIKE View Post
actually it isnt a pointless question if you dont like it dont reply simple...btw i said what kind of gloves do you think are the best not what are the best gloves i can buy
I think that Eagles are the best, and they are pricey so thats why I mentioned if you had the cash. I got some cheap ones over a year ago or so and I freakin love em, whenever they are done Ill definitely debate spending the extra chunk of cash for better ones. As many said though, it can be preference, but the Eagles just seem to work great for me.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
  #10
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
"Best" what does that even mean... it all depends on what kind of fit you want. Goto a hockeyshop and try on 10 pairs and see what you like the best in terms of fit,palm,size etc... this is pointless question.
Agreed, why don;t you tell us what kind of gloves you like so we can help you better instead of just listing all the high-end gloves out there?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
  #11
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,909
vCash: 500
Always wanted to try Eagles and Bauer. I have new Easton S3's but they are a piece of crap, I just use them because I am not that great at ice hockey yet and it isnt worth it for me to go out of my way to buy 80+ dollar gloves.

But surprisingly, Missions make some really nice gloves. I dont know, maybe its just personal preference but I always liked the way they felt, that was until I tore up the palms.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
  #12
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,397
vCash: 500
I just read "what do you think is the best" gloves and listed what I would want

Now if I had read "recommend some gloves to me" I'd be more interested in what HE would want.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
  #13
GoldenTriangle
 
GoldenTriangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
I absolutely LOVE my pro-stock TPS R8's. Better feel and mobility compared to my last Bauer 4-rolls IMO.

GoldenTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
  #14
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
I have the Reebok 4 roll Pro Series and I am a big fan. Great protection and a nice big open cuff. Plus for some reason these do not stink that much at all.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
  #15
datsyukianLIKE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: kalamazoo michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
no i didnt mean to sound like a dick my earlier reply was to RJC

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:14 PM
  #16
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
I would say that some of the best gloves would be:

Custom Eagle PPF's
Custom Warrior Franchises
Stock Eagle PPF's
Stock Warrior Franchise
Bauer 4 Roll

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
  #17
RangersAM99
Registered User
 
RangersAM99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:01 PM
  #18
canuck44
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersAM99 View Post
I have the older Graf 600 gloves. My favorite pair of gloves so far. Second would probably be my old Bauer 4 rolls.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
  #19
canuck44
 
canuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
On a side note, I tried on a pair of vapor XXX at the store (going for $80 cdn I think). I know they're old now but they actually felt really nice. If I didn't just get my gloves repalmed, I might have opted to just get these and get my grafs repalmed later.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:22 PM
  #20
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
On a side note, I tried on a pair of vapor XXX at the store (going for $80 cdn I think). I know they're old now but they actually felt really nice. If I didn't just get my gloves repalmed, I might have opted to just get these and get my grafs repalmed later.
Yeah I really like pretty much the whole Vapor line from when they used the XXV/XXX/etc. numbering, real nice fit for my hands, and you can find them on sale at a lot of stores now. Eagle obviously make phenomenal gloves too, but they're quite pricey. If money was not an issue I'd get the new PPFs, very comfortable/great fit for me too (very different feel to the XXXs, but awesome in its own way), and the MSH2 palms are supposed to be fantastic, but since money IS an issue for me I stay with cheaper gloves

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
  #21
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Question to everyone, what material does everyone like for their gloves?

I've got an older pair of Easton gloves (Synergy 900 iirc) and they have leather shells, all I can seem to find now is the 'lightweight fabric' type of shell, and I just can't stand it. I like the look and feel of leather (or close to it). But I can't seem to find it in any of the current OTR offerings. Maybe I'll just get my Easton's re-palmed.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
  #22
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
Question to everyone, what material does everyone like for their gloves?

I've got an older pair of Easton gloves (Synergy 900 iirc) and they have leather shells, all I can seem to find now is the 'lightweight fabric' type of shell, and I just can't stand it. I like the look and feel of leather (or close to it). But I can't seem to find it in any of the current OTR offerings. Maybe I'll just get my Easton's re-palmed.
The fabric you're referring to is nylon, sometimes you'll see it in brand names like "tufftek," but that's just nylon too (probably with some patented weave or coating or some such thing). Nylon gloves are my favourite personally, not the flashiest looks-wise, but very light, breathable and durable.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
  #23
hattrick3518
Registered User
 
hattrick3518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The fabric you're referring to is nylon, sometimes you'll see it in brand names like "tufftek," but that's just nylon too (probably with some patented weave or coating or some such thing). Nylon gloves are my favourite personally, not the flashiest looks-wise, but very light, breathable and durable.
Your right, I have seen it called many things so I figured I would just throw out a blanket term for the material. I guess I have only ever had leather gloves, so maybe I am just biased. All of the pro's use the nylon type gloves so there has to be some benefits to it. I've thrown out a couple eBay bids on some pro stock gloves so if any of those come through maybe I will jump on the nylon train.

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
  #24
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,397
vCash: 500
I'm loving my TPS R8 (all nylon) right now, although they are a hair small (12" broken in). They are discontinued though, which sucks.

My dream gloves would be hard to find, because I'm between 12 and 13" and I like the gloves to fit super tight.

Eagle can do custom lengths but don't offer the PPF in junior sizes, so I'd have to get a completely custom fitted PPFi (the stock ones were too big). But build quality and material, they were my favorites off the shelf. Warrior customs would be great, but they don't offer plastic inserts on 12" gloves, so I'd have to hope the 13" narrows were small enough. Bauer 4-Rolls are too wide, even at 12".

The new Warrior models look interesting, with the Luxe and Surge. A tighter fit like a Supreme series glove but with plastic inserts so you can actually use them for something other than shinny. Have to see how they feel in person.

Anyways, for materials, I like:

- Nylon/Tufftek exterior for lighter weight and faster drying
- Clarino or MSH2 palms (not too picky)
- Mesh gussets for breathability and faster drying
- Plastic inserts and lock thumb for protection
- Flexible/wide cuff for mobility
- Tight fit across palm and fingers for better feel
- Segmented fingers for mobility

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
  #25
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm loving my TPS R8 (all nylon) right now, although they are a hair small (12" broken in). They are discontinued though, which sucks.

My dream gloves would be hard to find, because I'm between 12 and 13" and I like the gloves to fit super tight.

Eagle can do custom lengths but don't offer the PPF in junior sizes, so I'd have to get a completely custom fitted PPFi (the stock ones were too big). But build quality and material, they were my favorites off the shelf. Warrior customs would be great, but they don't offer plastic inserts on 12" gloves, so I'd have to hope the 13" narrows were small enough. Bauer 4-Rolls are too wide, even at 12".

The new Warrior models look interesting, with the Luxe and Surge. A tighter fit like a Supreme series glove but with plastic inserts so you can actually use them for something other than shinny. Have to see how they feel in person.

Anyways, for materials, I like:

- Nylon/Tufftek exterior for lighter weight and faster drying
- Clarino or MSH2 palms (not too picky)
- Mesh gussets for breathability and faster drying
- Plastic inserts and lock thumb for protection
- Flexible/wide cuff for mobility
- Tight fit across palm and fingers for better feel
- Segmented fingers for mobility
have you tried on the current generation ppfi's with the orange liner? i have the previous generation vaughn-made ppfi's and i find the current ones fit noticeably tighter due to more interior padding.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.