HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Gloves

Old
02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
datsyukianLIKE

vCash: 500
Best Gloves

im in the market for a new pair of gloves what do you think is the best?

datsyukianLIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:19 AM
blueberrydanish

Well if you got the cash....Eagles

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
hattrick3518

Out there right now... I still like the Eagle PPF's

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
OvenChicken8

I recently got the Vapor XXXX and they feel great. Then again, anything was an upgrade on my Hespelers

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
thedonger

imo, any of the top tier gloves from eagle, warrior or bauer are great. all depends on what you're looking for in regards to fit, feel, protection and looks. i'm also intrigued by the upcoming 4 rolls from reebok.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Best custom are Eagle PPF or Warrior Franchise IMO. Best retail are Eagle PPF, Bauer 4-Roll, Bauer Vapor X:60 Pro, and the Easton EQ50 looks pretty good too. All IMO of course.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
RJC

"Best" what does that even mean... it all depends on what kind of fit you want. Goto a hockeyshop and try on 10 pairs and see what you like the best in terms of fit,palm,size etc... this is pointless question.

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:56 PM
datsyukianLIKE

actually it isnt a pointless question if you dont like it dont reply simple...btw i said what kind of gloves do you think are the best not what are the best gloves i can buy

Old
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukianLIKE View Post
actually it isnt a pointless question if you dont like it dont reply simple...btw i said what kind of gloves do you think are the best not what are the best gloves i can buy
I think that Eagles are the best, and they are pricey so thats why I mentioned if you had the cash. I got some cheap ones over a year ago or so and I freakin love em, whenever they are done Ill definitely debate spending the extra chunk of cash for better ones. As many said though, it can be preference, but the Eagles just seem to work great for me.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
"Best" what does that even mean... it all depends on what kind of fit you want. Goto a hockeyshop and try on 10 pairs and see what you like the best in terms of fit,palm,size etc... this is pointless question.
Agreed, why don;t you tell us what kind of gloves you like so we can help you better instead of just listing all the high-end gloves out there?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Always wanted to try Eagles and Bauer. I have new Easton S3's but they are a piece of crap, I just use them because I am not that great at ice hockey yet and it isnt worth it for me to go out of my way to buy 80+ dollar gloves.

But surprisingly, Missions make some really nice gloves. I dont know, maybe its just personal preference but I always liked the way they felt, that was until I tore up the palms.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just read "what do you think is the best" gloves and listed what I would want

Now if I had read "recommend some gloves to me" I'd be more interested in what HE would want.

Old
02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
GoldenTriangle

I absolutely LOVE my pro-stock TPS R8's. Better feel and mobility compared to my last Bauer 4-rolls IMO.

GoldenTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have the Reebok 4 roll Pro Series and I am a big fan. Great protection and a nice big open cuff. Plus for some reason these do not stink that much at all.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
datsyukianLIKE

no i didnt mean to sound like a dick my earlier reply was to RJC

Old
02-09-2011, 08:14 PM
SouthpawTRK

I would say that some of the best gloves would be:

Custom Eagle PPF's
Custom Warrior Franchises
Stock Eagle PPF's
Stock Warrior Franchise
Bauer 4 Roll

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
RangersAM99

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:01 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersAM99 View Post
I have the older Graf 600 gloves. My favorite pair of gloves so far. Second would probably be my old Bauer 4 rolls.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
canuck44

On a side note, I tried on a pair of vapor XXX at the store (going for $80 cdn I think). I know they're old now but they actually felt really nice. If I didn't just get my gloves repalmed, I might have opted to just get these and get my grafs repalmed later.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:22 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
On a side note, I tried on a pair of vapor XXX at the store (going for $80 cdn I think). I know they're old now but they actually felt really nice. If I didn't just get my gloves repalmed, I might have opted to just get these and get my grafs repalmed later.
Yeah I really like pretty much the whole Vapor line from when they used the XXV/XXX/etc. numbering, real nice fit for my hands, and you can find them on sale at a lot of stores now. Eagle obviously make phenomenal gloves too, but they're quite pricey. If money was not an issue I'd get the new PPFs, very comfortable/great fit for me too (very different feel to the XXXs, but awesome in its own way), and the MSH2 palms are supposed to be fantastic, but since money IS an issue for me I stay with cheaper gloves

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
hattrick3518

Question to everyone, what material does everyone like for their gloves?

I've got an older pair of Easton gloves (Synergy 900 iirc) and they have leather shells, all I can seem to find now is the 'lightweight fabric' type of shell, and I just can't stand it. I like the look and feel of leather (or close to it). But I can't seem to find it in any of the current OTR offerings. Maybe I'll just get my Easton's re-palmed.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
Question to everyone, what material does everyone like for their gloves?

I've got an older pair of Easton gloves (Synergy 900 iirc) and they have leather shells, all I can seem to find now is the 'lightweight fabric' type of shell, and I just can't stand it. I like the look and feel of leather (or close to it). But I can't seem to find it in any of the current OTR offerings. Maybe I'll just get my Easton's re-palmed.
The fabric you're referring to is nylon, sometimes you'll see it in brand names like "tufftek," but that's just nylon too (probably with some patented weave or coating or some such thing). Nylon gloves are my favourite personally, not the flashiest looks-wise, but very light, breathable and durable.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
hattrick3518

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The fabric you're referring to is nylon, sometimes you'll see it in brand names like "tufftek," but that's just nylon too (probably with some patented weave or coating or some such thing). Nylon gloves are my favourite personally, not the flashiest looks-wise, but very light, breathable and durable.
Your right, I have seen it called many things so I figured I would just throw out a blanket term for the material. I guess I have only ever had leather gloves, so maybe I am just biased. All of the pro's use the nylon type gloves so there has to be some benefits to it. I've thrown out a couple eBay bids on some pro stock gloves so if any of those come through maybe I will jump on the nylon train.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm loving my TPS R8 (all nylon) right now, although they are a hair small (12" broken in). They are discontinued though, which sucks.

My dream gloves would be hard to find, because I'm between 12 and 13" and I like the gloves to fit super tight.

Eagle can do custom lengths but don't offer the PPF in junior sizes, so I'd have to get a completely custom fitted PPFi (the stock ones were too big). But build quality and material, they were my favorites off the shelf. Warrior customs would be great, but they don't offer plastic inserts on 12" gloves, so I'd have to hope the 13" narrows were small enough. Bauer 4-Rolls are too wide, even at 12".

The new Warrior models look interesting, with the Luxe and Surge. A tighter fit like a Supreme series glove but with plastic inserts so you can actually use them for something other than shinny. Have to see how they feel in person.

Anyways, for materials, I like:

- Nylon/Tufftek exterior for lighter weight and faster drying
- Clarino or MSH2 palms (not too picky)
- Mesh gussets for breathability and faster drying
- Plastic inserts and lock thumb for protection
- Flexible/wide cuff for mobility
- Tight fit across palm and fingers for better feel
- Segmented fingers for mobility

Old
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm loving my TPS R8 (all nylon) right now, although they are a hair small (12" broken in). They are discontinued though, which sucks.

My dream gloves would be hard to find, because I'm between 12 and 13" and I like the gloves to fit super tight.

Eagle can do custom lengths but don't offer the PPF in junior sizes, so I'd have to get a completely custom fitted PPFi (the stock ones were too big). But build quality and material, they were my favorites off the shelf. Warrior customs would be great, but they don't offer plastic inserts on 12" gloves, so I'd have to hope the 13" narrows were small enough. Bauer 4-Rolls are too wide, even at 12".

The new Warrior models look interesting, with the Luxe and Surge. A tighter fit like a Supreme series glove but with plastic inserts so you can actually use them for something other than shinny. Have to see how they feel in person.

Anyways, for materials, I like:

- Nylon/Tufftek exterior for lighter weight and faster drying
- Clarino or MSH2 palms (not too picky)
- Mesh gussets for breathability and faster drying
- Plastic inserts and lock thumb for protection
- Flexible/wide cuff for mobility
- Tight fit across palm and fingers for better feel
- Segmented fingers for mobility
have you tried on the current generation ppfi's with the orange liner? i have the previous generation vaughn-made ppfi's and i find the current ones fit noticeably tighter due to more interior padding.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote