HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs’ rumours compilation – NHL trade deadline 2011

View Poll Results: What are exactly the Canadiens’ most pressing needs?
Offense 125 40.19%
Defense 110 35.37%
Size 108 34.73%
Grit 119 38.26%
Enforcer 33 10.61%
All of the above 60 19.29%
Other... 10 3.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Habs’ rumours compilation – NHL trade deadline 2011

We have been hearing rumours, we have been speculating about their needs, we have played GM from our comfortable seats at home and at work, and we have even suggested trades, throwing around names and finding our own solutions. There are topics all over in the media and on message boards, blogs and other, around the Montreal Canadiens and what Pierre Gauthier is doing (or should be doing).

Here's a recap of what we've heard in the last few weeks everywhere in the media and on the internet, of teams and/or players that were apparently discussed. I'll save you the aggravation of the sources as it's not the purpose, knowing full well that some are more legitimate than others. But for the purpose of the exercise, I've put them all together. Feel free to add some that I may have missed, but most should be here:

ATLANTA:
We’ve been hearing for the last few days that the Canadiens had scouts at the Thrashers’ games and that they also had scouts at the Habs’ games lately. While we do know that the two teams will face each other on March 1st, it seems like it is early to start scouting each other while the trade deadline is looming. What players are likely to catch the Canadiens’ interest and who could, at the right price, perhaps be available? BUFFALO:
Not the strongest of rumours, but it is possible that the Sabres could try changing things if they keep on sliding further away from a playoff’s spot. Players of interest?
[...]

Full Blog: Habs’ rumours compilation – NHL trade deadline 2011

Old
02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
One guy I don't think will be traded is Zenon Konopka.

Good face-off guy, plays well on the fourth line, hits, fights and is a good leader to the younger guys on the team. At this point, in the rebuild of the team, I think the GM would want to grasp on to someone like this and keep him for the long haul.

I'd love to have him, but I don't believe he's available.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:42 PM
DJ Breadman

Hotlanta seems like a weird trading partner, why would they wanna get rid of anything? There in a playoff race, you'd think they would want to add. That being said I would overpay to have Stewart

Old
02-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Coldplay
Courage

In order:

Defense
Offense
Grit
Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

Good face-off guy, plays well on the fourth line, hits, fights and is a good leader to the younger guys on the team. At this point, in the rebuild of the team, I think the GM would want to grasp on to someone like this and keep him for the long haul.

I was having the same discussion with someone else today. The way he talks (our future, protecting our players, etc) makes me think he's set on staying there too. Sounds like they also would like to keep him.

I wouldn't mind Chris Neil, but not at the expense of a defensive or offensive upgrade.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
tinyzombies

Size in the top 6. So, for me, size and offense. Our defense is fine and we don't need an enforcer. Enforcers are outdated, unless you have one that can play. Not many of those. Gotta build that into your team these days.

I think Pacioretty and Pouliot are going to be important players for us in the future.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Tusk

Just read that St. Louis might be selling, now pardon my ignorance on these players, but would Janssen or Winchester be decent fits here? Crombeen? Don't think they'd move him, I dunno though, someone enlighten me on their skating and hockey skills. Thanks.

Would Jim Vandermeer be a good 6th defenceman to pick up too? Haven't watched him in a while but he plays hard, I'm sure that hasn't changed?

I'm grasping at straws here.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I was having the same discussion with someone else today. The way he talks (our future, protecting our players, etc) makes me think he's set on staying there too. Sounds like they also would like to keep him.

I wouldn't mind Chris Neil, but not at the expense of a defensive or offensive upgrade.
Plus, some fans think he's worth a 1st round pick or a Subban/Pacioretty type trade, based on his value to the team and the city.

In reality, he's a fourth liner that at best, would be traded for the worth of a 3rd line player.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Aurel Joliat

In order :
Enforcer
Grit
Size

Old
02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

I was thinking that until I saw that he was a UFA. Players often like to test the waters to see what they could get. Chris Neil makes $2M per season. David Clarkson has a cap hit of $2.7M.

I guess what I'm saying is that it all depends on how the Islanders feel, if they think that they have a legitimate shot at re-signing him. Otherwise, they're not going anywhere this year so they might as well get something for him.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
In order :
Enforcer
Grit
Size
Anyone who says we need an enforcer first hasn't watched the NHL since the lockout

Old
02-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I was thinking that until I saw that he was a UFA. Players often like to test the waters to see what they could get. Chris Neil makes $2M per season. David Clarkson has a cap hit of $2.7M.

I guess what I'm saying is that it all depends on how the Islanders feel, if they think that they have a legitimate shot at re-signing him. Otherwise, they're not going anywhere this year so they might as well get something for him.
Konopka has stated that he wants to stay in Long Island. I know that could be a wash, but he does love it there and the fans love him, so I doubt he tests the waters.

Problem is, they won't get something for him that is equal to or more then the worth he is to the team and their youth. He's a mentor to the young players and logs 10+ a game as a fourth liner that fights, hits and leads.

He's not going anywhere, at least in my opinion.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Dallas Dave chimes in with this goodie: Kostitsyn + Weber for Kaberle

Quote:
#Habs shopping Andrei Kostitsyn for a defencemen. Unconfirmed rumors that they've offered Kostitsyn + Weber for Kaberle, still checking that
http://************************/stat...26912591503360

EDIT: wtf, why is Dallas Dave blocked? Yet Eklund's garbage is allowed.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
In order:

Defense
Offense
Grit
Size

Funny, he essentially told Arpun Basu before the game on wednesday that he'd love to come to Montreal. Arpun's feeling was that Konopka was in a way auditioning that night.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:

Big time pass. I don't want any good roster players going to TML.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Big time pass. I don't want any good roster players going to TML.
Weber isn't THAT good.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:03 PM
otto bond

Gaustad is exacly what The Habs need and perhaps fits more for Habs needs. Ladd has won 2 cup with 2 different team and I still like to have him.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:03 PM
TheBuriedHab

Atlanta is not trading their Captain. Come on.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I was thinking the same. Maybe it the 2 cup with 2 teams that make him a target. None the less, I take him if I can.
On the other hand,Gaustad is the guy I hope Montreal looks at.He would brings grit and physical character to this small team.We saw vs boston that the habs need size and you will see vs the Flyers it's gonna be the same.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Just read that St. Louis might be selling, now pardon my ignorance on these players, but would Janssen or Winchester be decent fits here? Crombeen? Don't think they'd move him, I dunno though, someone enlighten me on their skating and hockey skills. Thanks.

Would Jim Vandermeer be a good 6th defenceman to pick up too? Haven't watched him in a while but he plays hard, I'm sure that hasn't changed?

I'm grasping at straws here.
Our most likely trading partner of all the teams. Eric Brewer has been mentioned as a possible player for us. I figure with us basically giving them Halak then maybe they owe us a favor.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Karel

We need size (Boston pounded us the other night), otherwise it'll be another playoff defeat at the hands of the Flyers.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Wait... Kovalchuk. How many captains in Montreal were traded again? Oh yeah...

Careful now. I've listed the names and/or teams that have been mentioned in rumours. Not all of them are as equal in their chances of being traded, just as the asking price would also vary.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Habit11

Quote:

Quote:
#Habs shopping Andrei Kostitsyn for a defencemen. Unconfirmed rumors that they've offered Kostitsyn + Weber for Kaberle, still checking that

I'm not shooting the messenger, but can't help but find that funny. What exactly is an 'unconfirmed rumor'? I'm guessing a confirmed rumor would mean that someone has confirmed chatter/negotiations between two teams... so, an unconfirmed rumor would mean no one has confirmed chatter/negotiations between two teams... right?

Old
02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

3rd lines are what makes cup contenders!!!

let's get some grid

Last edited by didouche: 02-12-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old
02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Wait... Kovalchuk. How many captains in Montreal were traded again? Oh yeah...

Careful now. I've listed the names and/or teams that have been mentioned in rumours. Not all of them are as equal in their chances of being traded, just as the asking price would also vary.
Atlanta, when they traded Kovalchuk, were not a playoff team. It made sense, because they were in rebuild, they didn't want to give him the money he was asking for, and in return got a few good young players.

On the other hand, now Atlanta IS a playoff team, or at least one that is battling for a spot, instead of sitting in the basement. They are currently in 8th and still have a good shot, if they can get things going.

You're comparing two very different looking Atlanta teams.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Marc-E-

Quote:

We have been hearing rumours, we have been speculating about their needs, we have played GM from our comfortable seats at home and at work, and we have even suggested trades, throwing around names and finding our own solutions. There are topics all over in the media and on message boards, blogs and other, around the Montreal Canadiens and what Pierre Gauthier is doing (or should be doing).

Here's a recap of what we've heard in the last few weeks everywhere in the media and on the internet, of teams and/or players that were apparently discussed. I'll save you the aggravation of the sources as it's not the purpose, knowing full well that some are more legitimate than others. But for the purpose of the exercise, I've put them all together. Feel free to add some that I may have missed, but most should be here:

ATLANTA:
We’ve been hearing for the last few days that the Canadiens had scouts at the Thrashers’ games and that they also had scouts at the Habs’ games lately. While we do know that the two teams will face each other on March 1st, it seems like it is early to start scouting each other while the trade deadline is looming. What players are likely to catch the Canadiens’ interest and who could, at the right price, perhaps be available? BUFFALO:
Not the strongest of rumours, but it is possible that the Sabres could try changing things if they keep on sliding further away from a playoff’s spot. Players of interest?
[...]

Full Blog: Habs’ rumours compilation – NHL trade deadline 2011
Well, I heard the one Montreal look at it is Anthony Stewart

Closed Thread