HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs’ rumours compilation – NHL trade deadline 2011

View Poll Results: What are exactly the Canadiens’ most pressing needs?
Offense 125 40.19%
Defense 110 35.37%
Size 108 34.73%
Grit 119 38.26%
Enforcer 33 10.61%
All of the above 60 19.29%
Other... 10 3.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Him or penner, i GET the hate on penner, but in our top 6, he wouldnt look bad at ALL
No need of a big guy not playing big, everytime I hear Penner Im laughing.. Not only he isnt physical but he is lazzy too..

Old
02-13-2011, 07:11 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
Cmon man... Kovalev put up 84 points for us in 07/08. He actually garnered some votes for the Hart trophy that year (he got a few 2nd and 3rd place votes if my memory serves).

- He loves the city
- He's familiar with a lot of our players, including proven chemestry with Plecks
- Proven playoff performer
- He's a UFA at years end
- The cost of getting him in a trade would likely be very low (probably only a mid round pick)
- He really can't be worse than Kostitsyn or Gomez right now

I realize you can make an equally long list of his shortcomings but I've said it before, I'll say it again: this is the definition of a low risk, high reward move.

If Kovalev comes back motivated for a playoff run, than we're laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Kovalev is DYING to prove people wrong.

You know it has at least been discussed.

If Ottawa will take something like a 4th or a 5th, we'd be crazy not to make that trade.
Very interesting points. Also remember the fact that the current Plekanec is a better player than the Pleks who centered him in the past.
That entire Senators team is in shambles, everyone's playing below expectations and probably without confidence. Low risk high reward indeed. Give him one last shot with the Habs? Why not? And I'm sure many of would bust out our old Kovalev t-shirts.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Eklund

* There has been some talk the Habs and Phoenix are discussing a deal which could land Scott Gomez in Arizona. It's early on, but it's possible.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Stewart would look great here, we have a trade history with Colorodo and our GMs appear to be very co-operative.

If we could acquire him without giving up Pacioretty, I'd be thrilled.
I can't see Stewart been available, if colorado trade him they are crazy IMO,well unless it's big time overpaymen, but I can't see habs giving Eller, Tinordi, leblanc ++.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Eklund

* There has been some talk the Habs and Phoenix are discussing a deal which could land Scott Gomez in Arizona. It's early on, but it's possible.
I think I'd cry.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:33 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Eklund

lol I mentioned in the Gomez vs. Desharnais thread on the main board that Scott would fit well in Phoenix. Their constant speed and forecheck combined with their need for a playmaking centre makes it seem like a perfect fit. But I wouldn't want to go in the playoffs with Desharnais as the #2 option after Plekanec.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
lol I mentioned in the Gomez vs. Desharnais thread on the main board that Scott would fit well in Phoenix. Their constant speed and forecheck combined with their need for a playmaking centre makes it seem like a perfect fit. But I wouldn't want to go in the playoffs with Desharnais as the #2 option after Plekanec.
True

Martin Hanzal perhaps

Old
02-13-2011, 07:52 PM
habspinner

I wonder, does the Habs brass really think they have the pieces to win a cup this year with the core they have?

To me I think they are missing too many pieces to make too much of a drastic change. With Markov and Gorges out you are missing a 1A and a 2A defenseman. We can deal with Gomez being subpar if those two are in, but think about it really, what are we going to give away to get the pieces we need? The Habs management isn't going to mortgage the future on a team that is missing it's top all-around, and top shut-down defenseman.

Be patient people, the best is yet to come. This is not the year to seek help at the deadline. We've already made our moves early in the year with the Wiz, Lapierre, and O'Byrne.

I for one, really hope Gauthier does absolutely nothing. The team will sink or swim with what we have. Cammy will be back soon, as will Darche. Gill it may be a bit longer, but Picard has filled in ok over these last games, however against teams like Calgary and Vancouver coming up I do admit I am more concerned. That being said, here's hoping Gill will make his way back sooner than later.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
I wonder, does the Habs brass really think they have the pieces to win a cup this year with the core they have?

To me I think they are missing too many pieces to make too much of a drastic change. With Markov and Gorges out you are missing a 1A and a 2A defenseman. We can deal with Gomez being subpar if those two are in, but think about it really, what are we going to give away to get the pieces we need? The Habs management isn't going to mortgage the future on a team that is missing it's top all-around, and top shut-down defenseman.

Be patient people, the best is yet to come. This is not the year to seek help at the deadline. We've already made our moves early in the year with the Wiz, Lapierre, and O'Byrne.

I for one, really hope Gauthier does absolutely nothing. The team will sink or swim with what we have. Cammy will be back soon, as will Darche. Gill it may be a bit longer, but Picard has filled in ok over these last games, however against teams like Calgary and Vancouver coming up I do admit I am more concerned. That being said, here's hoping Gill will make his way back sooner than later.
If Gauthier is not looking for a rental player than this is all hogwash, however I do believe this year is wayyyy to risky to go for a rental player. Gauthier isnt stupid anyone he acquires at this years deadline will be with the habbies for awhile if it costs a significant return.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:07 PM
odishabs

Im hoping for Thorburn + Penner would be ideal.

Thorburn for a late pick
Penner for Akost + 1st

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Penner - Desharnais - Cammalleri
Pouliot - Gomez - White
Moen - Halpern - Thorburn

Markov - Gorges
Wizniewski - Spacek
Subban - Gill

ex: Weber, pyatt

Old
02-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
True

Martin Hanzal perhaps
Hanzal would be great !

But I think they really need their centers, especially an experienced one that is better (on paper at least) than Eric Belanger... wouldn't mind Doan or Jovanovski though

Old
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

if we can take the very least away from that eklund rumor and assume that Gauthier is actively trying to get rid of gomez... well... I'm a happy campter.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
DJ Breadman

If there is one thing we know, Eklund said it so that means it won't happen unfortunetly

Old
02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Eklund

There were rumours last year that the Habs were interested in Kyle Turris...

Still, IF Gomez (and that's a big IF) was to be traded to Phoenix of all places, major salary would have to head back to Montreal as they're not the richest team. JovoCop is a pending UFA...

Old
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
If there is one thing we know, Eklund said it so that means it won't happen unfortunetly
You know he had Fisher to Nashville about 1 hour before TSN eh? Sometimes he actually gets one right, lol

Old
02-13-2011, 08:41 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
if we can take the very least away from that eklund rumor and assume that Gauthier is actively trying to get rid of gomez... well... I'm a happy campter.
If this is true, I'd be the happiest guy around !

I also don't like the idea of going in the playoffs with DD as our no2 centre (even if I think he could manage, he's still not proven at all), but you don't pass on the opportunity to get rid of Gomez.

I'd try to get Arnott as a backup plan...

Old
02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I honestly would target Hanzal. Call me crazy, and yes maybe I am but I'd package Gomez and try to acquire Hanzal who hasn't done much for Phoenix and is coming up on his 5th year in the NHL. He is 23, 6'5 2 way center with alot of offensive skill, back when he was being drafted he was called a game breaker, that could change the flow of a game with either a big hit, solid defensive play, or flashing his offense.

Having been a lack luster result for the Coyotes, and them being Buyers I'd offer them Gomez, and a pick, maybe a prospect depending on how open they are to the idea.

Think of it, A 6'5 2-way player with speed and potential on a team with one of the best 2-way players in the game? (Plekanec).

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Hanzal
Pouliot-DD-Patches/Eller

Hanzal would be a huge acquisition for both the immediate and distant future for Montreal, and we could properly groom him into a capable 70-80 point center. He has the skill set to be just that good, he just needs to put it together and watch a real 2 way forward at work.

Gomez, Kristo, and a pick for Hanzal, and I think they would be listening.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I honestly would target Hanzal. Call me crazy, and yes maybe I am but I'd package Gomez and try to acquire Hanzal who hasn't done much for Phoenix and is coming up on his 5th year in the NHL. He is 23, 6'5 2 way center with alot of offensive skill, back when he was being drafted he was called a game breaker, that could change the flow of a game with either a big hit, solid defensive play, or flashing his offense.

Having been a lack luster result for the Coyotes, and them being Buyers I'd offer them Gomez, and a pick, maybe a prospect depending on how open they are to the idea.

Think of it, A 6'5 2-way player with speed and potential on a team with one of the best 2-way players in the game? (Plekanec).

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Hanzal
Pouliot-DD-Patches/Eller

Hanzal would be a huge acquisition for both the immediate and distant future for Montreal, and we could properly groom him into a capable 70-80 point center. He has the skill set to be just that good, he just needs to put it together and watch a real 2 way forward at work.

Gomez, Kristo, and a pick for Hanzal, and I think they would be listening.
He is actually 6'6

Old
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
so why would pheonix be so fast to give up ona 23 yr old?? whos alrdy been in the NHL for a couple of years, AND is 6"6??

too good to be true

Old
02-13-2011, 09:03 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
so why would pheonix be so fast to give up ona 23 yr old?? whos alrdy been in the NHL for a couple of years, AND is 6"6??

too good to be true
What is too good to be true? The dreams of one poster in HF, yes you are right.

Eklund only said Phoenix and the Habs were discussing Gomez, he didn't say Hanzal.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

keep the eklund rumors to the eklund thread guys.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
keep the eklund rumors to the eklund thread guys.
Yes boss!

Old
02-13-2011, 09:08 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Im hoping for Thorburn + Penner would be ideal.

Thorburn for a late pick
Penner for Akost + 1st

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Penner - Desharnais - Cammalleri
Pouliot - Gomez - White
Moen - Halpern - Thorburn

Markov - Gorges
Wizniewski - Spacek
Subban - Gill

ex: Weber, pyatt
was just in edm to watch the ott game, boy the fans sure want penner out!

Old
02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
There were rumours last year that the Habs were interested in Kyle Turris...

Still, IF Gomez (and that's a big IF) was to be traded to Phoenix of all places, major salary would have to head back to Montreal as they're not the richest team. JovoCop is a pending UFA...
Gomez has a bit extra value to them because his cap hit is higher then his actual salary for the duration of his contract, thus they can get to the cap floor without actually spending the cap on salaries.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfe View Post
Gomez has a bit extra value to them because his cap hit is higher then his actual salary for the duration of his contract, thus they can get to the cap floor without actually spending the cap on salaries.
Good point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I think I'd cry.
I think I would cry with you.

Last edited by overlords: 02-13-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Closed Thread