HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
02-13-2011, 06:17 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
Go Benny the Pooh Go ! He had personal crisis + much adaptation to the NHL + 4th line SK style in Minny. He'll always be a sniper, but he's good, I remember a time where our snipers were Perreault and Dagenais... can you image it, Ribeiro actually made a player of that one trick MAB forward poney named Dagenais.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I don't really care about his stats. Just watching him play you can tell he is way too talented for his teammates. Numerous times I have seen him control the game in the offensive zone only to have no help . Yes when he got here he had no confidence but that has changed and he deserves a shot with Pleks. Sticking anyone with gomez is career suicide. If you don't put him with a great playmaker like Pleks he wont develop into a power forward, instead he will become a 2 way player with mediocre offense suited for 3rd line roles and that would be a waste of talent.
Put anyone with a good player like pleks, and they'll be good. I think Pleks has proven that he can make any winger good. Seeing how other players having a bad time, seem to play better with him. I do hope he turns into a power forward. But honestly, I don't see him this huge amount of talent you seem to see. I'm not saying he's a bust, nor that he doesn't have talent. But he's not showcasing it. I sometimes forget he's a habs during a game, that's how invisible he gets (and that's for long periods). He's playing ok these last few games, and that's thanks to DD. I do admit that he's producing really well for not being on the pp and not having top line minutes. I'll give you that. I'll also say that he has potential, as he's barely completed a full season yet. But seriously... He has a lot to learn, and recently, I haven't really seen enough to justify an appreciation thread. However, these appreciation threads are giving faster and with more ease than free sample in a food market. I like his production for his minutes, taking in account his experience. He needs more minutes and a better center. But when he was put in top lines, he didn't produce so well. You can maybe blame it on Gomez, but I'm sure Benoit has a part in it too. I can't wait to see how Pouliot turns out and I really, I honestly do, hope he becomes a power forward we've been wanting for soo long and that Fats failed for us.

Let's however, keep our cool, and not get over hyped nor overly critical of him when good or bad things happen. He's still learning and can go both ways.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

I think pools is digging DD... and White too...

Nothing against Darche.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Franky Gee

Benoit Pouliot

What do you guys think of his season ?

26 pts in 63 games so far but he had 24 in 39 games last year...

I find it hard to judge the guy when he's sometimes playing 6 minutes/game...

He has all the talent in the world, but he's being mishandled I think.

Look at how Pacioretty is doing with some ice time, I'm pretty sure Pouliot would produce at a much better rate than what he's doing right now if he had the same ice time.

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:25 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Pouliot doesn't have the confidence for more ice time yet. He's got a good thing going right now, no need to rush him. We don't need him in a top 6 role yet. Although I guess it couldn't hurt to put him on the top line over Halpern..

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:35 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Can't really complain about Pouliot this year, considering the rotating cast of (usually) non-skill players that he's put with, and the fact that he gets zero powerplay time. I think I read somewhere that all but 1 of his points this year are ES. The problem is there isn't much room in our top-six for him, but I think he's doing well in his role.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

decent season for his role... but he's not involved physically at all right now.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:40 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Pouliot doesn't have the confidence for more ice time yet. He's got a good thing going right now, no need to rush him. We don't need him in a top 6 role yet. Although I guess it couldn't hurt to put him on the top line over Halpern..
Can Gomez play on the wing ?

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gomez
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gionta
Kostitsyn-Eller-Pouliot
Pyatt-Halpern-Moen

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Has Pouliot ever played with Plekanec?

I can't think of any time where this was tried

Owen Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:27 AM
OneSharpMarble

Pouliot got 6 minutes tonight. 6 MINUTES!

He had the least amount of ice time, Pyatt had 7 and Desharnais had 8. JM is a ****ing joke, I can't wait till he is gone.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:35 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Pouliot got 6 minutes tonight. 6 MINUTES!

He had the least amount of ice time, Pyatt had 7 and Desharnais had 8. JM is a ****ing joke, I can't wait till he is gone.
As we're on a 4-game winning streak.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
yeah, watching pouliot on "nos canadiens" tonight remidned me how amazing he can rly be

i think theyve got to find a way to fit him on pleks line instead of halpern..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 02:48 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
As we're on a 4-game winning streak.
I forgot this is hfboards where winning a few games means everything is perfect in the world. Against the unstoppable forces like Florida and Atlanta I bet JM had to put on the war paint and ride in front of the troops like Braveheart.

Just because you win a few games doesnt mean you can ruin your young players, especially if you want to be successful for long. Desharnais and Pouliot deserve more play time and only the blatantly ignorant can`t see that. 6 and 8 minutes, what a joke.

Old
03-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Toro

I really like Pouliot's potential and the glimpses we see of his skill makes the mouth water sometimes but, he needs to use his body more and go through ppl sometimes. He is always trying to avoid contact, it is getting frustrating.

Like others have said though, his production is decent for his role but he can expand that role, its up to him.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 03:03 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Pouliot is in a streak of penalties.
It seems to have increased since he did those two fights.
Needs to find a balance and get less penalties.

Maybe he needs to be more lying (hiding, feel where the refs are, etc.) and less bold in his moves.
Experience...
But JM will show him: less ice time, more Muller talks and videos...

He is way ahead of Plek and Plek has much more challenging defensive game to play... and more ice time...
But it seems like a more recent trend...
He will adjust.

Look at a guy like Richards, he plans to injure a player and gets away with nothing...
Pouliot should look at Richards's videos.
Not sure it is a good example: Richards has great talent but represents the worst of hockey - would literally kill to win a game if he could get away with it...
Still remember Clarke on Kharlamov: the day I feeled ashamed to be a Canadian...
And I still see Flyers fans being proud of this.

Richards on Booth is the same: as long as you can get away with it...
He did: thanks to the power structure in NHL.

Maybe I should use another name of a player who does not get penalized but acts bad: Pronger.
Pouliot should listen and learn from the way Pronger interacts with Refs.

Why do Flyers players come to my mind?

It seems the league does not care: Crosby...
It would be good if Crosby could lauch a billon$ suit against the NHL.
Bertuzzi was not enough it seems.
How do you know he isn`t getting frustrated because he is getting **** minutes? He was playing very well dominating games and he still can't crack 10 minutes! How would you feel watching a clown like gomez get 20 minutes while you toil away on the bottom 6 with less minutes than pyatt?

I wonder how everyone here would feel if he asks for a trade after this season.

Old
03-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Wouldn't surprise me to see him traded before Kostitsyn.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I'm tired of seeing The Halpern experience on the Plekanec line. Let put Pouliot there.

Cammy-Plek-Pouliot
Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty

To big young powerforward

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Taupy

Pouliot will definitely need to put some more weight in his lower body, he still get bump off his skates too easily, but I'm sure he can still get bigger in that area.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Subban76

Quote:
I forgot this is hfboards where winning a few games means everything is perfect in the world. Against the unstoppable forces like Florida and Atlanta I bet JM had to put on the war paint and ride in front of the troops like Braveheart.

Just because you win a few games doesnt mean you can ruin your young players, especially if you want to be successful for long. Desharnais and Pouliot deserve more play time and only the blatantly ignorant can`t see that. 6 and 8 minutes, what a joke.
In all the years I've been coming here, I don't recall ever seeing a positive post from you. You are by far the most negative person I've ever seen on these boards.

Pouliot is doing fine and developping fine, like all are young guys.

Man stick to the Oilers and leave the Habs alone.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:30 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I can not see Gomez and Plekanec on the same line.
Seems they have similar skill set that prevents them to be good together.

We have seen some power play with both of them together.
The puck was moving very fast but a tight box of four players prevented them to succeed.
It was tried and failed.

There is something kind of similar betwen Plek and Gomez altough Plek is more efficient when he does not have the puck and Gomez can transport the puck more.

Gomez is a very good center when he plays at his best making every body around him better...
Let's try to bring this back.

Gionta is the perfect fit for both.
I remember when Gionta came in and played with Plek in pre-season...
Better chemistry than with Gomez...
You are definitely possessed by the Devil

MooseOllini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Pouliot as improved imo, but i believe i more and more understand how J.M. tries to ''make'' veteran players before they become regular top 6 players.. here is how i think he does it : let him play a diminished role... until he shuts up, forget his aspiration of.being a superstar... then on day when there is injuries or when you have a chance dont you miss your chance play your 110% and dont you ever stop... simply stop complaining... in other cases when work ethic is not the problem.. and skills are llimited... well this rule.doesnt really apply its actually the almost.the opposite.. anyways that surely isnt gonna work with everyone but when you got subban, patches, carey, eller, weber who pretty much all go through this process its more difficult to complain... still if next year we decide to play 3 scoring lines pouliot could very well explode (like others said adding some weight could be benficial for him and his.balance wich as already been better this year).

Hang in there Benny keep working hard and youll make it (with us, i hope).

Last edited by Crusher20: 03-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:45 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:

JM actually handles that the in the best way possible. He paired Pouliot with the best center to pair him with atm, DD. He's producing, and he's young so he won't have the pressure of playing with a old rusty Gomez. And JM doesnt make them play 6-8 min cuz they are bad or something. He's making them look good by not playing them agaisnt the top lines on the other team. On the road it's hard to get the ice advantage with line matching but I think JM, Muller and Pearn do a great job at it (at least for that last trip). So to answer your post, I don't think JM is ''ruining'' our young guys but he's putting them in safe position to perform and to win games since winning games is what we need right now cuz idk if you noticed (prolly not cuz you're too busy complaining) but we're in good shape to climb up in the standings right now.

But I guess you're right, we should prolly play DD, Pouliot, Eller and Weber 25min each and since we're at it make them fight like Taylor Hall did cuz we got such great prospects able to do it, right?

MooseOllini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
JM actually handles that the in the best way possible. He paired Pouliot with the best center to pair him with atm, DD. He's producing, and he's young so he won't have the pressure of playing with a old rusty Gomez. And JM doesnt make them play 6-8 min cuz they are bad or something. He's making them look good by not playing them agaisnt the top lines on the other team. On the road it's hard to get the ice advantage with line matching but I think JM, Muller and Pearn do a great job at it (at least for that last trip). So to answer your post, I don't think JM is ''ruining'' our young guys but he's putting them in safe position to perform and to win games since winning games is what we need right now cuz idk if you noticed (prolly not cuz you're too busy complaining) but we're in good shape to climb up in the standings right now.

But I guess you're right, we should prolly play DD, Pouliot, Eller and Weber 25min each and since we're at it make them fight like Taylor Hall did cuz we got such great prospects able to do it, right?
this

this man gets it

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
habtastic

I hated him until I watched Nos Canadiens last night.

kidding, I also think he's amongst the top 3 skaters with the most skill AND I think he's having a terrific season. So slick with the puck (love him with DD), he's been hitting and skating hard and fast. Like the intensity from him. Too bad the refs call him for the ********* penalties every game. Watch out Kreijci, Benny is coming for you on Tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
decent season for his role... but he's not involved physically at all right now.
srsly? Watch how he finishes his checks and always stands up for a teammate. Might not be a better game to see it than the next one. I imagine we will be rolling 4 lines so we'll see him quite a bit. I'm a bit afraid for Davey, but one-punch Poulie will be there for him.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 03-06-2011 at 03:27 PM.
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post

I won't answer your sarcasm but I'll remind you that Pouliot seems to be able to handle the fisticuffs against a fair number of opposing forwards. I wish he could have substituted for Cammalleri in the scrap against Krejci. That probably would have triggered the Bruins into taking even more penalties.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote