HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
04-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Hermamoud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
As much as i like Darche i think he has a bottom 6 role. The Gomez-Gio line would be even more effective if it would be patches because he has hands and is a lot bigger.
I'd prefer having Pacioretty playing on the bottom 6 if he were to come back to give him less tough opposition. He could find his game back without having to face the top two opposing lines. I hope that he will still play with that same fearlessness than before the injury.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I'd prefer having Pacioretty playing on the bottom 6 if he were to come back to give him less tough opposition. He could find his game and his confidence back without having to face the top two opposing lines.
+1 good point. And he could be on a line with DD and White

Thus the Hamilton line

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
+1 good point. And he could be on a line with DD and White

Thus the Hamilton line
Hahaha. I don't know why but I always had this feeling that Pacioretty and Pouliot on the same line could be really effective. Pacioretty could do the dirty work in the corners since I find him much stronger along the boards than Pouliot, and Pouliot can lurk around the slot to wait for the shot. Add in a center like Eller and we could have an awesome third line. When was the last time that the Canadiens had a line with three big and talented young players?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 08:11 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Hahaha. I don't know why but I always had this feeling that Pacioretty and Pouliot on the same line could be really effective. Pacioretty could do the dirty work in the corners since I find him much stronger along the boards than Pouliot, and Pouliot can lurk around the slot to wait for the shot. Add in a center like Eller and we could have an awesome third line. When was the last time that the Canadiens had a line with three big and talented young players?
Call it the P.E.P line.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Miller Time

If Pouliot gets moved/released, he's going to be another player we give up for nothing that ends up starring for another team.

aside from the falling issues he's shows so many signs of having the tools needed to be a very effective top-6 player.(which can be fixed, MaxPac had the same issue a year ago, and while Pouliot is older, guys mature physically at different speeds and it requires dedicated work which perhaps Pouliot hasn't put in as much of thus far... after this season, I'd expect him to really push himself this offseason).

he's got good hockey sense, he's a good skater, he plays with a solid edge, he's got great hands and a very good shot.

much like S.K, you can see that it's just a matter of time before he starts producing/performing much more consistently, just needs that extra bit of on-ice confidence/maturity.

Habs better bring him back, he's a near perfect top-9 option for us (cheap, talented offensively, good skater) with the big contracts we have in our top-5.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:46 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
If Pouliot gets moved/released, he's going to be another player we give up for nothing that ends up starring for another team.

aside from the falling issues he's shows so many signs of having the tools needed to be a very effective top-6 player.(which can be fixed, MaxPac had the same issue a year ago, and while Pouliot is older, guys mature physically at different speeds and it requires dedicated work which perhaps Pouliot hasn't put in as much of thus far... after this season, I'd expect him to really push himself this offseason).

he's got good hockey sense, he's a good skater, he plays with a solid edge, he's got great hands and a very good shot.

much like S.K, you can see that it's just a matter of time before he starts producing/performing much more consistently, just needs that extra bit of on-ice confidence/maturity.

Habs better bring him back, he's a near perfect top-9 option for us (cheap, talented offensively, good skater) with the big contracts we have in our top-5.
While I think he might have to sit out some playoff games, I am not against keeping Benoit and letting him develop further, but I DO object to your statement that he has good hockey sense. That is actually what he lacks.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 01:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
While I think he might have to sit out some playoff games, I am not against keeping Benoit and letting him develop further, but I DO object to your statement that he has good hockey sense. That is actually what he lacks.
You know what? He's shown a couple of times the past 2 seasons (and what I've seen with Minny) that he DOES have decent hockey sense and decent vision. He prefers to deke rather than pass, but I think that's coach-able stuff. But right now, the main thing is.. umm you know, learning how not to fall on his behind.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Kitsune

See - its just like when he was in Sudbury. He was an 11th round pick in the OHL draft, and per rules we got a 4 game taste of him in Sudbury at first - and many fans thought wow. Next season - hes lights out at times, puts good points but just didnt seem to care. The next season was his best - when he had something to play for. The team the Wolves had during his tenure here was a defense-first team too (led by Staal Mcquiad and Foligno), and wasnt until he was gone this team made the finals. The problem with him is he just doesnt have the umph to get to that next level.... and he also had Mike Foligno as a coach, which likely led to the bone-head plays syndrome.

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
habtastic

guy has rare skills. he's played well at various points. extend the AK treatment to him (rather the conclusion you should have arrived at by now). Watch him score the GWG tonight.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Tried to help spark a team that wasn't caring and got benched because of his penalty that really wasn't a penalty. He stopped skating. He pretty much checked Boychuk's stick. CBC said he got him in the head with his spin, but I didn't see it initially.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Skarjak

I think he deserves another one year contract. If after next season, he hasn't progressed, then that would be a good time to get rid of him.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:16 PM
RE-HABS

He has to play smarter.

Who takes the most stupid penalties on this team?

Pouliot.

He needs to show some passion and drive in his game, he needs to play to his skill and size.

1 year deal, but a 10% raise as per the CBA. Other than that, he needs to play to earn another one after that, and if he can't put him in the press box.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Tried to help spark a team that wasn't caring and got benched because of his penalty that really wasn't a penalty. He stopped skating. He pretty much checked Boychuk's stick. CBC said he got him in the head with his spin, but I didn't see it initially.
Yup...

And next time he plays, which will probably take an injury or two with weber/Halpern waiting in the wings, he's going to be hesitant and playing with fear.

Coach shows zero faith in him. Brutal...

Scares me to think what would have happened with subban had injuries and an aging slow defense hadn't forced Martin to give him the minutes in the regular season he obviously deserved.
Pouliot isn't "subban" good, but he's a lot better than Martin gives him credit for

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Kirk Muller

I don't think you give up on him cause he really doesn't hurt the team in a third line limited role. He is still young and is low risk high reward type player. If he doesn't develop you aren't losing much then what he already is.

To me he really doesn't have the drive to be a better player and shows very passion overall. He suffers from same syndromes as Akosts and Kovalev. His interest in the game waivers from game to game and period to period.

Hopefully he proves us wrong cause Montreal is in DESPERATE need for a big, good skating winger on the top two lines.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Yup...

And next time he plays, which will probably take an injury or two with weber/Halpern waiting in the wings, he's going to be hesitant and playing with fear.

Coach shows zero faith in him. Brutal...

Scares me to think what would have happened with subban had injuries and an aging slow defense hadn't forced Martin to give him the minutes in the regular season he obviously deserved.
Pouliot isn't "subban" good, but he's a lot better than Martin gives him credit for
Ho can you show faith in a player who isn't contributing offensively, and is a liability with his stupid penalties?

He has been given a lot of opportunities to play and make up for his bad play, and hasn't done well in months.

These are the playoffs, if he is a liability and a player like Halpern can come in, or a Weber is going to take advantage of anytime he has to sit.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

The best he played this year was when he was with Halpern and Darche, when he played with those guys we always saw Halpern and Darche on the benching talking to him and giving him advice... since that line was split up he's been put with mostly rookies and young players and hasn't looked as good. IMO he needs to play with a veteran or two as we know he has the skills but he's weak between the ears and could use a veteran guy with him to help stay focused and not get so down on himself when he's not scoring.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:08 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
The best he played this year was when he was with Halpern and Darche, when he played with those guys we always saw Halpern and Darche on the benching talking to him and giving him advice... since that line was split up he's been put with mostly rookies and young players and hasn't looked as good. IMO he needs to play with a veteran or two as we know he has the skills but he's weak between the ears and could use a veteran guy with him to help stay focused and not get so down on himself when he's not scoring.
this post is delicious. You're bang on sir. This guy is playing better than what he is given credit for. His fight was a spark tonight and so was his hit ... there is no point in benching him, as the habs would have easily, yes, EASILY equalized if he would have been on the ice instead of pyatt (who cant score in a soccer net with a loaded gun) ...

that line with darche and halpern was our best line during quite a long stretch this year...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:11 PM
not quite yoda

Pouliot has poor balance and can not play in high intensity situations. 100% in favor of benching him. Halper in, if not: weber.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
ChoseLa

If we are going to play him we could try him some shifts with Gmmer and Gio, Darche has more heart but has no finish either. Though i prefer Darche at the moment, Pouliot could be of use on an offensive line, maybe... There was a couple of time tonight i would've prefered Pouliot finish over Darche hard work.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
If we are going to play him we could try him some shifts with Gmmer and Gio, Darche has more heart but has no finish either. Though i prefer Darche at the moment, Pouliot could be of use on an offensive line, maybe... There was a couple of time tonight i would've prefered Pouliot finish over Darche hard work.
But its not about just hard work with Darche. He also crash the net and get his nose dirty. Pouliot doesn't do that. The scoring chances Darche has, are created by Darche himself by crashing the net and looking for garbage goals.

That is also why MaxPac works so well with Gomez and GIo too.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Mike8

Quote:

This is a fine point. On the flip side, two things:

1) Players like Darche and Halpern are used on 'safe', veteran lines, used against opponents' scoring lines. Pouliot would be a liability in such circumstances.

2) One reason Pouliot may have been much better on a veteran line is that the aforementioned players are fundamentally strong and, consequently, Pouliot can be the offensive catalyst of the line, neglecting some of the finer details of the game.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:24 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
And yet Pouliot has played more NHL games than Darche.

Pouliot is not some wet-behind-the-ears rookie fresh out of the draft. He turns 25 this fall. His slack time is just about over, and he does himself no favours taking dumb penalties. He's soon going to find himself out of the NHL if he doesn't turn himself around.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:48 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
And yet Pouliot has played more NHL games than Darche.

Pouliot is not some wet-behind-the-ears rookie fresh out of the draft. He turns 25 this fall. His slack time is just about over, and he does himself no favours taking dumb penalties. He's soon going to find himself out of the NHL if he doesn't turn himself around.
He and Spacho can stay home Thursday as far as I'm. Concerned.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Talent Analyst

I don't know what you guys think about this, but I'll try for another time the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta.

If my name is JM, meet Pouliot today and tell him that you want more out of him. To prove that you still have faith in him is to give him more ice time while playing for the entire game with Gomez and Gionta + power play.

Last word that I'll say is: prepare yourself well.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
HabsNation514

Pouliot played 3:21 longer than he should have last night.

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote