HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
04-19-2011, 10:21 AM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
This thread will soon be merged with the "ex habs" thread.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

most likely candidate for a line-up change...

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNation514 View Post
Pouliot played 3:21 longer than he should have last night.
And still managed to get 7 PIM hahaha

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
NewHabsEra*

And now.. MaxPac Pouliot or Eller?? lol

MaxPac
-
Eller
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Pouliot

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

someone should change the title of the thread

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
And yet Pouliot has played more NHL games than Darche.

Pouliot is not some wet-behind-the-ears rookie fresh out of the draft. He turns 25 this fall. His slack time is just about over, and he does himself no favours taking dumb penalties. He's soon going to find himself out of the NHL if he doesn't turn himself around.
Yeah, but he is 34 years old and played proffesionnal hockey in the last 10 years, it's not because it's the AHL that it doesn't count for good experience.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
RE-HABS

The more and more the Habs see from Pouliot, the more and more I think you see this team walk away.

Why waste $1.5 million on Pouliot when the Habs can have a young guy like Palushaj for half the price up learning the game?

Pouliot has been given chances, players like Palushaj are knocking on the door, and White, Darche, DD and Pyatt are up in contracts and I would rather see the Pouliot money spread across those players.

Pouliot is a talent that lacks heart. You can't teach passion or heart, you have to have it.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Gary320

I honestly don't think it's lack of heart. I really don't... and I've been hard on Pouliot. He lacks confidence in himself. He looks depressed out there.. and the balance problem kinda proves it.. He is always like that, when he starts scoring.. then he starts having confidence and we've got a new man.. but once a challenge comes his way.. forget it.. he's back to self-loathing.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM

As long as the guy keeps avoiding areas of the ice where he's going to have to pay a physical price to score, he's not going to be effective.

He wants nothing to do with the puck when he gets it, you can see it in the way he plays. As soon as he gets the puck, he tries to get rid of it...

The only time Pouliot is successful is when he's left uncovered in the slot and his linemates can find him with a pass so he has time and space to use his shot. Other than that, he's not going to do anything unless he starts wanting to pay the price and stops trying to get rid of the puck.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The real question is....there is really an appreciation thread for him?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think Pouliot's really trying but man...there's only so much trying you can put up with before you need to see results. We're not going to go far in the playoffs if we don't start getting help from Pouliot, Eller, Pyatt, Desharnais (who seems to be completely escaping criticism lately, despite the fact that he's arguably our least effective forward), etc. No team goes deep on the strength of two lines alone. And god knows our top six isn't consistent enough to carry the load on their own.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I honestly don't think it's lack of heart. I really don't... and I've been hard on Pouliot. He lacks confidence in himself. He looks depressed out there.. and the balance problem kinda proves it.. He is always like that, when he starts scoring.. then he starts having confidence and we've got a new man.. but once a challenge comes his way.. forget it.. he's back to self-loathing.
Yah, not sure where no heart comes from. Pouliot is clearly a guy who hasn't found his way. He has talent, he has the desire to do well, but he doesn't have the right direction. Once he learns he has to do the little things in order to achieve his potential, he'll be a better player.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
windycity

god I hope he's benched for game 4

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

I'd rather have Engqvist, Palushaj or Conboy play next season.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Bench Pouliot and go with Weber. He seems to do well vs the Bruins.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Bench Pouliot and go with Weber. He seems to do well vs the Bruins.
what he said.

Pouliot is even struggling to do the simplest things that usually come naturally for a professional hockey player. And for some inexplicable reason he seems physically weaker than last season.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Well here are a few things i can say about him :
I believe he wants to succeed but doesnt HE doesnt seem to believe on what people ask him to do... so he continues doing what he does with the same result : failure.
he just doesnt want to listen and apply what he is told. At all... why do we ALWAYS fear the hook his coming when he tries to catch up a player and steal a puck? Maybe after 20 games as a rookie fine but him its like he doesnt know what else to do other than hook... or do something easy to notice. its too bad he has such raw talent and skillset (speed, shot, stickhandling, size) yet as such huge flaws (balance, tenacity, maturity) wich normally can be corrected easily yet with him... its a mistery.

Maybe we can turn him in an enforcer? What punch he carries lol.

Last edited by Crusher20: 04-19-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

So much hate for a guy who is getting less than 7 minutes ice time on average. We lost last night because leaders like Gomez couldn't pot open net goals. Pouliot hasn't brought less than Desharnais or Darche. And spacek and Hammer were just as bad if not worse than Pouliot last night.

I'd look up the specifics if I had the time, but at one point the Eller-Pouliot line carried us offensively for a few games. People were praising pouliot because he had the 2nd best point/min rate on the team (behind pleks, i think). How quickly we forget. 13 goals as a bottom 6'er with no PP time. Lets dump him for scraps!

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Megaforce

Pouliot bashers are surely the same guys who flamed Streit and Sergei. Just craziness.

The guy can skate, has reach, can shoot, hit, fight...you can't teach size, y'know..Darche can't do any of those things and he's near retirement... if Darche scores occasionally it's because he gets power play time and gets put on a line with seasoned scorers....

I like Weber too, sit Darche or Spacek instead to let him play. (Hamrlik/Sopel were pretty slow too)

The reason we lost last night: Price made a bonehead clearing play.

That's it.

Last edited by Megaforce: 04-19-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Definitely a case of a player who has a very high skill level, yet can't seem to put it all together or a consistent basis.

I imagine he'll get a contract offer from us, but likely a 1 year deal at under 1 million.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
... Pouliot hasn't brought less than Desharnais or Darche.
Hell yes.

I was wondering if I was the only one who interprets Desharnais' play with the puck as useless, then turn over. He has proven, game in and game out that he is not ready for this type of playoff (or end of the season) hockey.

Poulliot sucked, but at least he provoked something. Desharnais has been ok defensively, but once the puck is on his stick... he turns it over.

Darche is far from my favorite player. He definitely is NOT a top 2 line player. But, he is giving it his all and producing a bit. It is a shame there is not a player with some finish on that line (Pachioretty cannot heal fast enough).

Cheers

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 01:54 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Hell yes.

I was wondering if I was the only one who interprets Desharnais' play with the puck as useless, then turn over. He has proven, game in and game out that he is not ready for this type of playoff (or end of the season) hockey.

Poulliot sucked, but at least he provoked something. Desharnais has been ok defensively, but once the puck is on his stick... he turns it over.

Darche is far from my favorite player. He definitely is NOT a top 2 line player. But, he is giving it his all and producing a bit. It is a shame there is not a player with some finish on that line (Pachioretty cannot heal fast enough).

Cheers
I really do like all three, but if we're going off what each has brought so far, I actually thought Pouliot's tilt was a good momentum boost for the habs. He didn't have to fight, if he was as soft or selfish as people try to label him, he never would have agreed to go. He even tried to take his helmet off.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Hell yes.

Poulliot sucked, but at least he provoked something. Desharnais has been ok defensively, but once the puck is on his stick...
You're underrating DD's defensive work there. He was solid on the 2nd PK. I was surprised by it. And he battles pretty well along the boards until he's double teamed (lol) by 6'3"s and that kinda falls on his teammates for taking a bit to back him up.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 03:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Definitely a case of a player who has a very high skill level, yet can't seem to put it all together or a consistent basis.

I imagine he'll get a contract offer from us, but likely a 1 year deal at under 1 million.
With the playoffs he is having I think there is no chance he is back unless he has a 2-way contract.. Palushaj will highly probably replace him and make the team next year..

Old
04-19-2011, 03:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Pouliot bashers are surely the same guys who flamed Streit and Sergei. Just craziness.

The guy can skate, has reach, can shoot, hit, fight...you can't teach size, y'know..Darche can't do any of those things and he's near retirement... if Darche scores occasionally it's because he gets power play time and gets put on a line with seasoned scorers....

I like Weber too, sit Darche or Spacek instead to let him play. (Hamrlik/Sopel were pretty slow too)

The reason we lost last night: Price made a bonehead clearing play.

That's it.
Darche is pretty effective on the forecheck, goes to the net and take the body to make a play, what Pouliot cant do, Pouliot is just too soft and easy to play against..