HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chichura ready to learn french?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 03:16 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Chichura ready to learn french?

I heard this or read this somewhere. Not sure which of the two really. If someone has a link can you post it in this thread for other people to see it?

I think this is extremely significant because the last two players that I know did it right after being drafted were Gainey and Robinson. We already know Chip has the qualities to be a captain, but I think this pushes him into a new category now. Like I said, the above two players are hall of famers and two of the greatest players in recent history for the habs, so i beleive he is following in some great footsteps.

This thread has nothing to do with me thinking Chipchura will ever be a great hall of fame player nor will he ever make the NHL or for that matter captain the habs. This is just merely to state that he is starting on the right foot to learn the cities official first language.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
I heard this or read this somewhere. Not sure which of the two really. If someone has a link can you post it in this thread for other people to see it?

I think this is extremely significant because the last two players that I know did it right after being drafted were Gainey and Robinson. We already know Chip has the qualities to be a captain, but I think this pushes him into a new category now. Like I said, the above two players are hall of famers and two of the greatest players in recent history for the habs, so i beleive he is following in some great footsteps.

This thread has nothing to do with me thinking Chipchura will ever be a great hall of fame player nor will he ever make the NHL or for that matter captain the habs. This is just merely to state that he is starting on the right foot to learn the cities official first language.

Ya i read this too. I think its cool, sadly however he will be more accepted by fans now! Not that thats a bad thing, but just the fact that if he does learn french he is more excepted.

Overall, good move by Chipy, hes a good boy!

Old
06-29-2004, 03:38 PM
SuperUnknown

Well... his mother comes from a French community so it wouldn't be that surprising.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Guig

That prove that he want to play here and he is devoted for the team.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Markov79

Very mature move. Hopefully this will keep all but the most annoying french media off his back if he ever makes it. Any idea which other prospects Habs tried picking up french?

Old
06-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I think it was on NHL.com. His mother come from St-Boniface(the french part of Winnipeg) and she's french so he will probably learn the french easier...He's a good kid, I like him.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Link: http://www.nhl.com/futures/2004draft...ura062704.html

Quote:

They don't speak a lot of French on the northern Canadian prairie and Chipchura said he has an obligation to brush up on his schooling, out of respect to the team's fan base. It shouldn't be too heard to learn. His mom was born in St. Boniface, the French section of Winnipeg that produced NHL great Ted Green, the former Oilers coach.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Traitor8

yes if he learns french...he will be a hall of famer...riiiight...

Old
06-29-2004, 06:50 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
yes if he learns french...he will be a hall of famer...riiiight...
LOL

I should of wrote a big caution at the bottom of my post. Sweetheart, please read the whole post.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:51 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:

Old
06-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
I'm also taking frenching lessons right now and practising as often as I can with all the hot girls that will french with me.

Edit: sorry wrong thread.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:55 PM
tinyzombies

Why not? I think it's a good idea he does this. Very smart move politically and it shows he understands and respects people. I like it. If it's legitimate, it's one component of being a good captain.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:17 PM
GoldenForum

I heard Chipchura say that he has previously studied French (and yes his mom is from some French community in Western Canada) so while he doesn't speak French well yet, he already has a bit of a head start.

Bob Gainey choosing Chipchura reminds me of Toe Blake insisting to his draft team back in the 1970s that they have to take this tough, hardnosed kid named Bob Gainey.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:38 PM
RE-HABS

Quit Shouting CrAzY_NiNe!

Old
06-29-2004, 08:55 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Quit Shouting CrAzY_NiNe!
Maybe he might actually see it in size 6

Old
06-29-2004, 09:09 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Maybe he might actually see it in size 6
I don't know, maybe you should have made it RED and in BOLD too!

Old
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:

Better?

Old
06-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Vlad The Impaler

I think you can never know too many languages. I also think you owe it to yourself to immerse yourself culturally if you live in a given environment.

That's why I learned English and I am better for it.

It isn't an obligation, but I think it shows character and respect to do it. I'm saying to do it because Chipchura is not the first player to say this and many just don't follow through. Koivu lied bluntly and is not any better than others in that respect.

The funny thing is, just saying it will already endear him to fans, who won't even remember this promise if he doesn't follow through.

If you learn another laanguaage, good for you. If you do not learn another laanguage, too bad for you but that doesn't make you a worse person. However, if you say you're going to do something, you better do it.

I'm not impressed by Chipchura's comments. I like where it's going but I will cheer when he actually talks in French and if he doesn't, I'll consider him a rotten ******* like the others before him. many jerks in this league who are well coached by their agents into saying the right things all the time.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I'm not impressed by Chipchura's comments. I like where it's going but I will cheer when he actually talks in French and if he doesn't, I'll consider him a rotten ******* like the others before him. many jerks in this league who are well coached by their agents into saying the right things all the time.
Agree 100%,

It's fun to see that after 6 months, most english guys playing in the Q league speaks a very honorable French. NHLers simply don't want to have to give interviews in both language.

B.Savage and J.Ward speaks good french, has one of them learned it in here?

Old
06-29-2004, 09:31 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
I think you can never know too many languages. I also think you owe it to yourself to immerse yourself culturally if you live in a given environment.

I completely agree! Living in French atmosphere helps alot. It practically a cheep way to do it.

I love learning new languages. Besides my native Russian and second Ukrainian(which suffered greatly because I didn't hear it for the last 8 year) I've learned some Hebrew, Spanish and would gladly learn French. It makes travels in Europe more convenient etc.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
The funny thing is, just saying it will already endear him to fans, who won't even remember this promise if he doesn't follow through.
The funny thing to me is that I will remember if he doesn't follow through and it'll leave a sour taste in my mouth, whereas if he hadn't said anything about it and not learned the language, it wouldn't have bothered me for a second either.

For me it's more about being honest and straightforward (which gives a great deal of info about one's true character) than actually learning French.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
The funny thing to me is that I will remember if he doesn't follow through and it'll leave a sour taste in my mouth, whereas if he hadn't said anything about it and not learned the language, it wouldn't have bothered me for a second either.

For me it's more about being honest and straightforward (which gives a great deal of info about one's true character) than actually learning French.
you mean like when Koivu promised to learn French when he was choosen captain?

Old
06-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
you mean like when Koivu promised to learn French when he was choosen captain?
Yes. And I've not forgotten it, ever. I thought it was lame. Koivu had to make other things afterward to gain back my respect.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Duster

Quote:

That's why I learned English and I am better for it.

It isn't an obligation, but I think it shows character and respect to do it. I'm saying to do it because Chipchura is not the first player to say this and many just don't follow through. Koivu lied bluntly and is not any better than others in that respect.

If you learn another laanguaage, good for you. If you do not learn another laanguage, too bad for you but that doesn't make you a worse person. However, if you say you're going to do something, you better do it.

Perhaps you are being too harsh Vlad. I think Chipchura is his own man...with two big brass ones too when you consider that some people just don't have an aptitude for languages and only find out as they attempt to learn. This may have been Koivu's problem perhaps. Maybe he's the anti-Peter Stastny. Who knows?

I've seen many people fail to learn a new language here in Canada, in Europe and in Latin America and it wasn't due to lack of effort. In most cases, their jobs were on the line if they failed. It's a lot more common than you think. None of the people I knew personally who failed to learn english or french or spanish, german, latin, greek, gaelic and so on I would consider stupid, duplicitous or rotten *******

Anyway, I don't think Chipchura's comment was meant to impress anyone. Rather, it was one of acceptance of his new environment.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Yes. And I've not forgotten it, ever. I thought it was lame. Koivu had to make other things afterward to gain back my respect.

Does anyone know for sure whether Koivu ever learned French or tried, or whether he simply doesn't feel comfortable speaking it? People (members of a certain media clique) told us he hasn't and have used it as ammo, but I haven't heard it from Koivu's mouth, and I don't believe that faction of the media.

Although in some defense of Koivu, with regards to how SOME members of the French media have treated the captain, it might be for the better he doesn't converse in French. It would give them further ammo in playing with what he intented on meaning.

Closed Thread