HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want in net 5 years from now?

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see as our starter 5 years from now?
Blackburn 17 28.33%
Labarbera 2 3.33%
Lundqvist 5 8.33%
Montoya 36 60.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Blueshirt13

vCash: 500
Who do you want in net 5 years from now?

Since so many have asked, 5 years from now who would you like to see starting in net at the Garden?

Old
06-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Sal Messina

Old
06-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Whoever has the best mix of talent, technical skill, and mental toughness.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:41 PM
drewcon40

That is a pretty tough one to answer. As a fan i watched Vanbiesbrouck and Richter play and develop through the system and became a fan of both due to their association with the organization for so long. Dan Blackburn is probably the closest to the fans' hearts because he's been around since 2001. I understand that LaBarberra has been with the organization longer but by being with the big club and beginning that association with the fans, I beleive that Blackburn would be the choice.

I would love to see Lundqvist play some North American hockey.

This is going to be a big debate for the next 4-5 years regarding our future #1 goalie!

Old
06-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Prucha73

Chris Holt has a chance too.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:49 PM
nyr5186

Its really impossible to predict right now and its pretty hard to pick favorites. Lets all hope that all of them flourish into great young goalies, so that when it comes time to trade two of them, we can get back a solid return. What I fear though is, say, if Blackburn regains his form and becomes the goalie everyone thought he would be when we drafted him and then we are forced to trade the others. But then Blackburn gets injured again or simply falls off the face of the earth like Jim Carey did. We'd be left with nothing. For that reason, its important that we hold on to these guys until we're absolutely sure at least of them is the real deal and someone you can count on for the next 10 years.

But just for the sake of argument, I'll choose Al Montoya simply because of the whole Cuban connection. It would be great if we could get the Latin-American community interested in hockey.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Edge

Holt does have a remote outside chance, though my money would be with either Blackburn, Montoya or Lundqvist.

It's a question we can't really ask until both Lundqvist and Montoya have played pro hockey and till we see how Blackburns recovery goes.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

No Fair! I haven't even seen Lundqvist or Montoya play in person and only once or twice on TV. I can't judge them yet.

I ain't voting.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Blueshirt13

I am still waiting to hear a...

1 - "I want Montoya to be in net so I can say Sather did the smart thing for once instead of picking Olesz/Tukkonen/Schremp/Picard who are having 70-80 point years."

2 - "It has to be Danny because he grew up around here and I think if we trade him now 5 years from now he will be starring across the river in NJ as the Devils' next Brodeur."

3 - "I would love for it to be Labarbera... coming out of nowhere to be a complete package; the picture of true development signifying how well our player development has become."

4 - "Gotta be Lundqvist. Look at him play at 22! Imagine what he would be like at 27! Way better than Salo ever looked"

Old
06-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Edge

I'll be honest with you, I think in the end it comes down to Blackburn and Montoya. A gut feeling tells me I'm looking at Beezer and Richter part 2.

Labarbera I think is our J.F. Labbe. A good AHL goalie and maybe an NHL backup but his lateral movement just isn't there. I just don't see an NHL goalie there. At least not a potential star.

As for Lundqvist I'm worried that he might have overplayed his hand a little and that was also a factor in the Montoya pick.

They've been trying to get him over here for two years now and two years he's pretty much brushed them off. Then they thought they were gonna get him over and he's not interested unless the NHL is going to resume. Right, wrong or indifferent, I'm not sure that's the attitude the Rangers wanted to see.

And from little rumblings i've heard here and there, I'm not totally sold on Henrik's desire to be here in the first place. I've heard from several credible people that he'd like to play in the NHL but he wouldn't LOVE to. He'd be perfectly happy to spend the rest of his life in Europe his home.

In the end I personally think it comes down to Blackburn and Montoya.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:57 PM
bmoak

Brandon Snee!

Old
06-29-2004, 05:03 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Alvaro Montoya.

If he's as good in net as Inigo Montoya was with a sword, we're talking Franchise Goaltender.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Balej20*

Asplund

Old
06-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Asplund
Is he even playing in the SEL?

Old
06-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Alvaro Montoya.

If he's as good in net as Inigo Montoya was with a sword, we're talking Franchise Goaltender.

Bad jokes were my #1 reason not to take Montoya

Sorry Klingsor

Old
06-29-2004, 05:21 PM
LondonFan

I went for Labarbera. Because, erm, I think this poll is impossible to answer. Right now, I hear "Montoya" I think Juan Pablo.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
pld459666

I read a direct quote from him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I'll be honest with you, I think in the end it comes down to Blackburn and Montoya. A gut feeling tells me I'm looking at Beezer and Richter part 2.

Labarbera I think is our J.F. Labbe. A good AHL goalie and maybe an NHL backup but his lateral movement just isn't there. I just don't see an NHL goalie there. At least not a potential star.

As for Lundqvist I'm worried that he might have overplayed his hand a little and that was also a factor in the Montoya pick.

They've been trying to get him over here for two years now and two years he's pretty much brushed them off. Then they thought they were gonna get him over and he's not interested unless the NHL is going to resume. Right, wrong or indifferent, I'm not sure that's the attitude the Rangers wanted to see.

And from little rumblings i've heard here and there, I'm not totally sold on Henrik's desire to be here in the first place. I've heard from several credible people that he'd like to play in the NHL but he wouldn't LOVE to. He'd be perfectly happy to spend the rest of his life in Europe his home.

Henrik that is, that he is dying to come over to NA and fully expects to play in the minors before he gets to the NHL. He went further and gushed about coming over to play in the best league in the world.

Nothing I have read about this kid leads me to believe that there's a cockiness to his personality or that his attitude is "blah" about playing in the NHL. In fact I've read nothing but the exact opposite. I could be wrong but that's what's out there.

I just think that he saw a situation where he would have come over, the league would be hold and Danny would be getting the lions share of ice time in the AHL.

If there was no labor strife, Danny would more than likely be with the big club and Lundqvist would be getting the lions share of starts in the AHL. I think he made the right choice.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:43 PM
little a from da bx

damn 55 % montoya whats with u people just becuase he was a 6th overall hes new and u all are so excited and next year if they make another goalie pick early in the first which they wont but if they did u would all choose him... people be realistic...

lets get blackie in net and trade montoya after his stock rises for a good young center in 2 years

Old
06-29-2004, 05:45 PM
dedalus

Whom do I WANT playing goal? Obviously I want the best of the three playing goal. I couldn't care less what his name is providing he's offering the team the best chance at a Cup.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Larry Melnyk

Given the cesspool state of the NHL right now, Lundqvist should be lauded for his decision to stay in Sweden..The Rangers, and Sather in particular, are ********* if they hold his decision to stay against him. Then again, Sather is a petty creature...

More then likely, Lundqvist next year will be facing the best players the world has to offer as NHLers flock to the SEL...This can only help his development...At the same time, it leaves Blackburn and Labarberra to more easily share the duties in Hartford and Montoya to keep playing in Michigan..it's the best situation possible...

And then there's the perfromance issue, there is no indication whatsoever to rank anybody ahead of Lundqvist....He's excelled in the SEl...He's excelled in the biggest Internationl tournaments....He's won championships...And except for his stick-handling, his game as the BEST goalie in Sweden is excellent..And he dearly wants to play in the NHL and has no problem playing in the AHL...He's just using his head and smarts to make the right decsion and stay in Sweden one more....I value him even more for that intelligence.....

Now, that went off tangent a little. Who do I want to see in the Rangers net in 5 years? Obviously, the best goalie.....Who will that be? I think it will be Lundqvist but I'm not sure if he will be a Ranger come that day..And that will suck...Time will tell..

Old
06-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

If that is the case with Lundqvist then why not trade him? Doesn't he have good value after 2 very good seasons? Maybe to Dallas to reunite him with his twin.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

i dont know who is going to be in goal but i know tukonen will not be a winger.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
My main reason to pick Montoya was purely that I loved when Richter was goalie, we had the team USA #1 in our net. That and I'd love for the Rangers goalie to keep the Isle's goalie (DiPietro) from that position. Buffalo's Ryan Miller's from the US too, right?

Honestly I think Blackburn, Lundqvist, and Montoya all seem to have potential to be stars, so whichever of them makes it, I'm happy.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:53 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
Dan Blackburn is probably the closest to the fans' hearts because he's been around since 2001.
That's why right now I voted for Blackburn. I'm a big fan, and until I see Montoya play for the Rangers, I'm going to go with Blackburn.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:57 PM
xander

well, i've yet to see alvaro montoya play, but i'm a big fan of juan pablo montoya, so i guess I'll go by that........

Closed Thread