HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Kovalev

Old
02-12-2011, 04:07 PM
LGSens

vCash: 500
Alex Kovalev

Seems to be playing with some desire of late. 3 more points this afternoon. Can Ottawa trick some team into giving up something of value? Always thought a 4th would be fair; can the Sens get more??

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Roof Daddy

I could see the Pens maybe offering up a 3rd.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I'd be surprised if he brought back more than a 3rd. You never know, though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

The Pens are desperate at this point. They'll give up something good, especially is they think that another eastern team like the Habs are after him.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Spezz101

if he keeps playing like he is i wouldnt be suprised if we got a 2nd or a decent prospect for him hes on fire

Spezz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM
SpezDispenser

A 3rd and I'm not complaining at all.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM
canadianeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezz101 View Post
if he keeps playing like he is i wouldnt be suprised if we got a 2nd or a decent prospect for him hes on fire
LMAO. Dude is like 38. you're not gonna get a 2nd.

Plus he had a 3 pt game, so that means he'll disappear for the next 14.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The Pens are desperate at this point. They'll give up something good, especially is they think that another eastern team like the Habs are after him.
I think if they panic and give up something good it will be for someone better than Kovy. He's just a fallback to take a flier on if nothing better is out there. I'd be pretty stunned if they gave up more than a 3rd for him.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Fiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Except that he now has 5G, 8 pts in his last 6 games.

Fiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Karlssonlee

I say he gets a second round pick. or 3rd plus a modest prospect.

Simple reason because team's get very desperate and might feel the pressure from ownership to make a push towards the playoffs. Several teams won't have a problem giving a 3rd round pick, and some team will be willing to go as far as a 2nd round pick.

People might think this is over-valued, but its the trade deadline and your paying for a proven playoff performer with a Stanley Cup.

Everyone talks about his lack lustre play during the season, are quick to forget his performances in the playoffs.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
After the deal Murray received for Fisher. I would not be surprised if Kovalev netted a second, and I am fairly certain Pittsburgh will be the team to make the offer. They do have a penchant for acquiring wingers at the deadline. If Murray can wrestle away a second for Kovalev, he might just keep his job.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Operation Hot Mother

2nd round picks are for superstars like Dominic Moore, Raffi Torres and Eric Belanger. Sens are going to have to throw in their first rounder just to get some team to take Kovy off their hands.

Operation Hot Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:38 PM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
Except that he now has 5G, 8 pts in his last 6 games.
Kovalev has been a point a game during those 6.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Robert Theodorson

I don't see anybody offering more than a 4th or 5th for a very old UFA who has a reputation of not putting out when push comes to shove. Like others have said though, Pens are desperate.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:48 PM
4thliner*

It important to member Kovy was coming back from knee surgery in the summer.

He is starting to warm up down the stretch and I don't doubt someone of his talent level can bring back at least a 2nd. A 2nd from a contending team is a late 2nd. He could make a big difference in the playoffs also.

Come deadline day, someone always gets desperate. I don't see many skill forwards available this year's deadline. It is a seller's market.

If he goes anywhere it is probably one of Pitt, Bos, or Montreal.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
LGSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
It important to member Kovy was coming back from knee surgery in the summer.

He is starting to warm up down the stretch and I don't doubt someone of his talent level can bring back at least a 2nd. A 2nd from a contending team is a late 2nd. He could make a big difference in the playoffs also.

Come deadline day, someone always gets desperate. I don't see many skill forwards available this year's deadline. It is a seller's market.

If he goes anywhere it is probably one of Pitt, Bos, or Montreal.
It is most def a sellers market.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Skk82

The Pens like their wingers to forecheck, hit and wear down the other team, cycle the puck and be very mindful positionally. It's no secret Kovalev isn't style of player and he doesn't fit the Bylsma/Shero mold.

If he keeps playing like he has been lately for the next 2 weeks, maybe some team gives a 2nd round pick, but I'd be shocked if the Pens even make an offer.

Further, Pittsburgh's already dealt 3rd+4th round picks this year. So they obviously can't use them and draining the picks even more might not be something they're interested in.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:08 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Washington anybody? They can use a little more euro skill on there team, besides semin-backstrom-OV, there is a severe lack of skill and excess of dump and chase players up front... OV hasn't been the same since guys like Kozlov, Fedorov, and Nylander left(before his bad year). These guys made the power play so much better and facilitated puck movement style of play at its best... Kovy fits the mold, could even cure the power play.
Besides, they've traded for geezers like Fedorov in the past at the deadline... wouldn't be surprised to see them make a bid.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:10 PM
MoreGore

I hate to say it, but the return for this guy is likely to be minimal, but I suspect he will be the best pick up at the deadline.

If Murray is smart, he will go conditional.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
The Pens like their wingers to forecheck, hit and wear down the other team, cycle the puck and be very mindful positionally. It's no secret Kovalev isn't style of player and he doesn't fit the Bylsma/Shero mold.

If he keeps playing like he has been lately for the next 2 weeks, maybe some team gives a 2nd round pick, but I'd be shocked if the Pens even make an offer.

Further, Pittsburgh's already dealt 3rd+4th round picks this year. So they obviously can't use them and draining the picks even more might not be something they're interested in.
Yeah, like I said, I don't see Kovy being the type of forward Shero will have a man-crush on and overpay for. He's the Bill Guerin type that Shero may take a flier on if he can be had for just a mid-round pick. I think they'd pass on him if he cost more.

Old
02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
After the deal Murray received for Fisher. I would not be surprised if Kovalev netted a second, and I am fairly certain Pittsburgh will be the team to make the offer. They do have a penchant for acquiring wingers at the deadline. If Murray can wrestle away a second for Kovalev, he might just keep his job.
The Pens won't offer a second...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
LMAO. Dude is like 38. you're not gonna get a 2nd.

LMAO. Dude's age has nothing to do with it. He's a UFA after this season and his play is what teams will be bidding on. He can still contribute at a 40-45 point pace, maybe more on a better team.

Kovalev will probably return a mid level prospect or 2nd or 3rd rounder. If he keeps playing well, maybe both, who knows.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
LMAO. Dude's age has nothing to do with it. He's a UFA after this season and his play is what teams will be bidding on. He can still contribute at a 40-45 point pace, maybe more on a better team.

Kovalev will probably return a mid level prospect or 2nd or 3rd rounder. If he keeps playing well, maybe both, who knows.
Kovalev basically is going at a 40 pt pace. Put him in a good system and he'd be around 60. Put him with Crosby and who knows what you see. My guess is it would be quite impressive.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Marky Mark

I'm sure BM can squeeze a 2nd...

out of some disparate GM - Kovy could be a "series" changer - I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ottawa would have beat Pittsburgh last year if Kovalev had been in the line up.

and he is flying right now - he clearly doesn't want to start his KHL career next fall - he has to play for a contract right now - as does Phillips and Ruutu. Both would be smart to get out of Ottawa along with Kovy

Marky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:51 PM
JackBauer

right now, he'll return a 3rd. if he keeps up his play and a few more teams get into it, he could push for a 2nd.

mcguire said at least one team is interested. if they were smart, they'd make the move now before it gets closer to the deadline. that said, maybe it's murray that is stalling.

a 3rd is what it cost ott to move up 3 spots to draft karlsson so i'd be happy with that. could be the difference between jensen/jenner and puempel/armia if they package it with the NSH pick so i'd be happy with that. ecstatic with a 2nd.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote