HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Scapegoat Kostitsyn

Old
02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Andrei Scapegoat Kostitsyn

Is he the new scape goat now that Spacek is playing well? The kid has the 3rd highest amount of points on the team ahead of Gio with one less game played and he's a +12.

He's been solid most of the season, he might be streaky when it comes to production but he's still putting up numbers none the less.

If Detroit or Pittsburgh got a hold of this guy god help us all I think he'd be dynamite. The whole team isn't producing and he's one of the highest producers none the less. I constantly hear complaining about the kid from fans and the media. He's been having his best season and has been the most consistent he's been this year. Give the kid a break and support him he's a good player and given the right line mates and coaching will produce a lot one day in this league, I just hope it isn't for another team.

Look what Sergei has accomplished since leaving, look at Grabovski, they go to other teams and they produce. Different team different line mates different system. Heck it isn't like Nashville and Toronto are two of the most potent offensive teams in the league. Neither are we. I don't think it should all fall on Andrei every time we can't score. I see people saying they want him gone but few people on our team play the way he does.

/endrant

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I agree, fans and media are always looking for 1 or 2 scapregoats and won't let up...gets annoying.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Some players seem to garner hate no matter what they do. A few fall in this category and they have a common denominator which I'll keep to myself.

I've never really had a problem with AK. I know people were frustrated with him last night but he made a key play to get the ball rolling.

I read some fuss about upgrading him with Penner. I'd rather keep AK. He's still young, has about as many points as Penner and can be a physical forward. I'd rather Penner replace a non-physical forward or smaller player.

At times he shows some really raw talent. I'd hate for the Habs to cut him loose just yet.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
PricePkPatch

Problem is, when he is not in his game, it shows a LOT.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Next Best Thing*

I agree with you, it also doesn't help that he's played on just about all 4 lines, how is he supposed to develop any consistency? Martin is shuffeling the lines up way too much for my taste lately, but he's the coach and im just a fan

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Is he the new scape goat now that Spacek is playing well?
No, he's the old stand by scapegoat.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
ScopeHockey

Pouliot and Andrei always seem to be easy targets for the fans and also JM.

I actually think both guys, especially Andrei, are under-appreciated.

In my opinion, Andrei has HUGE upside, which we all agree on. His downside, though, is not as bad as JM and fans imply it to be. When he's not scoring, Andrei usually finishes his hits, goes to the net and is decent in his own end. He's clearly not in the Kovalev category, where his style of play is so distinct that when he's off his game he stinks up the rink and disrupts the flow of the game.

Andrei and Pouliot are both fairly "compatible" players. They play a north south game and win battles, which makes it possible to play them in the bottom 6 when they're slumping (or even when not, in Pouliot's case). The also fit in well in the top 6 when they are rolling offensively.

Plus, they are SHOOTERS that can also move well, which is hard to find.

Here's to hoping that JM stays very patient with these guys because I definitely consider them players that need to be given ample opportunities to develop because of their huge upside.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Spacek wasn't a scapegoat, he was a spacegoat.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
he isnt a scape goat too me
he really is useless
1 good game in 40 doesnt cut it for me
who the **** fans on a wrist shot while on a break away...
beer leaguers do
NOT NHL players

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
he really is useless
beer leaguers do
NOT NHL players
Kovalchuk?

Old
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I heard a good one today on the radio lmao AK46 for Shea Weber straight up. Oh man I spilled my coffee everywhere in absolute laughter

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Kostitsyn <3

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
he really is useless
beer leaguers do
NOT NHL players
Well Stamkos lost the puck and tripped on the blue line on a penalty shot couple of weeks ago in Pittsburgh

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Kovalchuk?
true....
but until recently even AK was outplaying him

but at least kovalchuk has/can score 60 a year....

Old
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I heard a good one today on the radio lmao AK46 for Shea Weber straight up. Oh man I spilled my coffee everywhere in absolute laughter
Marinaro thought it was funny, too.

"Maybe if they asked for Pyatt... I dunno... it'd be a head scratcher..."

the guy calling was a typical Hab fan in that sense. Said a Hab player sucked, and wanted to trade him for a superstar. Awesome.

Quote:
true....

No he hasn't...

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
true....

52 twice was his highest

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
No he hasn't...
hrrm interesting I stand corrected

Old
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Is he the new scape goat now that Spacek is playing well? The kid has the 3rd highest amount of points on the team ahead of Gio with one less game played and he's a +12.

He's been solid most of the season, he might be streaky when it comes to production but he's still putting up numbers none the less.

If Detroit or Pittsburgh got a hold of this guy god help us all I think he'd be dynamite. The whole team isn't producing and he's one of the highest producers none the less. I constantly hear complaining about the kid from fans and the media. He's been having his best season and has been the most consistent he's been this year. Give the kid a break and support him he's a good player and given the right line mates and coaching will produce a lot one day in this league, I just hope it isn't for another team.
He's not having his best season, he's on pace for 46 pts as of today, his best season was his first full season when he had 53 pts.

But this board is usually predicatable. Habs win, players are great, coach sucks Habs lose, players and coach sucks.

Everyone knows he's very skilled, but his inconsistent play is frustrating to watch. Will be interesting to see how he does come playoff time.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Kostitsyn seems to be stuck at the wall we've been hoping he'd get over for a few years now. I don't think he gets over it. He just lacks some fundamental hockey sense element to translate his considerable skills into consistent production. But still, at the right price, I don't mind having him on the team. You need to round out the top-6 forward group somehow. And the whole Moen/Lapierre/Pyatt days were such painful memories. Kostitsyn is ok. He may be a lower class top-6 forward who is sometimes frustrating, but... as long as he was lower rent to go along with that, it's no harm.

But then... these days the August UFA scrap heap generally does feature a few lower class top-6 forwards, sooooo... if qualifying AK costs us $3.25M on the cap, and there's a scrap heap option for $1M... that's a fairly large amount of cap space wasted. Guys like Hamrlik and Gomez have been roasted frequently enough for making $2Mish more than they "should".

I don't "scapegoat" Kostitsyn, he's just what he is. But I do think he's entering crunch time as to whether I'll promote qualifying or not qualifying him this summer.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

I think the coaching staff just needs to put him through drills day in and day out of getting his shot through traffic.

Old
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
But I do think he's entering crunch time as to whether I'll promote qualifying or not qualifying him this summer.
well if plan on not qualifing him this summer PG better trade him for even a pick.
Can't let him go for nothing... love him or hate him that would be just stupid

Old
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Kostitsyn seems to be stuck at the wall we've been hoping he'd get over for a few years now. I don't think he gets over it. He just lacks some fundamental hockey sense element to translate his considerable skills into consistent production. But still, at the right price, I don't mind having him on the team. You need to round out the top-6 forward group somehow. And the whole Moen/Lapierre/Pyatt days were such painful memories. Kostitsyn is ok. He may be a lower class top-6 forward who is sometimes frustrating, but... as long as he was lower rent to go along with that, it's no harm.

But then... these days the August UFA scrap heap generally does feature a few lower class top-6 forwards, sooooo... if qualifying AK costs us $3.25M on the cap, and there's a scrap heap option for $1M... that's a fairly large amount of cap space wasted. Guys like Hamrlik and Gomez have been roasted frequently enough for making $2Mish more than they "should".

I don't "scapegoat" Kostitsyn, he's just what he is. But I do think he's entering crunch time as to whether I'll promote qualifying or not qualifying him this summer.

More like 5 m too much lol (gomez)

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Stradale

After the first period yesterday, people wished he was traded for the KHL for 12 bottles of vodka.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
The H4Bs

I love the guy but I think unfortunately no matter how well he performs the rest of this year, he probably won't be in a habs jersey next season

The H4Bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
well if plan on not qualifing him this summer PG better trade him for even a pick.
Can't let him go for nothing... love him or hate him that would be just stupid
Well, the whole point is he has this stretch run to help us decide whether to qualify him or not. Can't make the call now, IMHO, especially if we don't have anybody to replace him with. Mid-tier NHL players get traded for 2nd round picks. So if you could only get that much at most for him, and you still ended up having to make a trade giving up that much to replace him... well, it's pointless. Keep him or let him walk in the summer, no reason to advance the schedule, and no need to worry about getting anything for him or not in that scenario.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote