HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bonk be signed before July 1st???

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Will Bonk be signed before July 1st???

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if Bonk will be sined before July 1st, because is he not a RFA???

If so, you think theres any chance he signs for less. Im sure Gainey will try too, but time will be a factor, so he may just cut to the chase. Gainey said that he could pay Bonk 3.5 if he had too, but that doesnt nessesaily mean he will sign for that much.

Thoughts??

Old
06-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if Bonk will be sined before July 1st, because is he not a RFA???

If so, you think theres any chance he signs for less. Im sure Gainey will try too, but time will be a factor, so he may just cut to the chase. Gainey said that he could pay Bonk 3.5 if he had too, but that doesnt nessesaily mean he will sign for that much.

Thoughts??
Sorry i meant to say UFA not RFA.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thoughts??
I think BG will try to entice Bonk with a long term deal at a lower salary. I hope Bonk will jump at the offer, due to the unknowns of the new CBA.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Traitor8

what r u talking about? Bonk is a RFA.

and I am sure Gainey will give him less money but for a longer period of time instead of 3.5 M for only 2 yrs.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Habs4Life

Gainey will have him signed by July 1st guaranteed... There are many teams out there that need a good 2 way center, so Gainey will probably just get down to business before any other teams make him a offer

Old
06-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

and I am sure Gainey will give him less money but for a longer period of time instead of 3.5 M for only 2 yrs.
I dont know what im talking about, hence the ?? marks in my question.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:07 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Gainey will probably qualify him at 3.5, and then they'll rip that deal apart and look to lock him up long term (ie, 3 years)

Old
06-29-2004, 05:07 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Easy big guy. Thats what he's trying to determine. You answered his question.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Legolas

Doesn't Bonk become an unrestricted free agent if he isn't qualified by July 1? That was my understanding but I could be wrong. I don't see why he would sign for less than that, he probably thinks he'll get at least that much in free agency anyway. Gainey already said they have no problem qualifying him so expect that to happen tomorrow.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Mooch

Ok, so if Bonk is infact a RFA, then dont we have all summer to sign him, like with Ribs, Zednik, etc???? Or do we have to qualify him at 3.5 mill to keep his rights????

Also once hes qualified, then can we make a lower offer??? It probably wouldn't make sense, and Bonk would probably laugh, but is it doable??

Old
06-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Legolas

Quote:
Ok, so if Bonk is infact a RFA, then dont we have all summer to sign him, like with Ribs, Zednik, etc???? Or do we have to qualify him at 3.5 mill to keep his rights????

Also once hes qualified, then can we make a lower offer??? It probably wouldn't make sense, and Bonk would probably laugh, but is it doable??
I'm thinking no and yes. Once he's qualified, you retain his rights and he can't sign anywhere else unless you get compensation, that's what I thought. Once he's qualified, I think he can agree to any contract he wants with Montreal, but it's highly unlikely he would take less than the $3.5 million.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
As the very moment Montreal give BOnk a Qualifying offer of 3.5 Millions, he's Montreal property. No need to sign him before July 1st.

I could see Gainey trying to sign him for less before July 1st for a multi-years contract but this is still possible after July 1 st also anyways.

Usually, the team qualifyed the player than have the summer to discuss about the lenght vs $ of the contract...

Old
06-29-2004, 06:13 PM
hockey_nut

Bonk MUST be given a qualifying offer or he'll become an unrestricted free agent...

that is, however, unless bonk restructure's his contract and signs a new deal

Closed Thread