HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future at Center

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Future at Center

With Koivu and Ribs still young, and Higgins, Chipchura, Plekanec, Urquhart, Locke, Lappierre all waiting in the wings, what do you think our future at center will look like? Will Julien decide to move some of these guys to the wing? Can any of these prospects at center play the wing as well? Thanks.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
markov`

Higgins, Plekanec and Laperriere can play wing I think.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:48 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15
With Koivu and Ribs still young, and Higgins, Chipchura, Plekanec, Urquhart, Locke, Lappierre all waiting in the wings, what do you think our future at center will look like? Will Julien decide to move some of these guys to the wing? Can any of these prospects at center play the wing as well? Thanks.

Higgins is a LW now, Chipchura we'll see what he does in a few years, Pleks can play wing, Urquhart I could see moved to wing he's not strong of draws or tying up his man down low, Locke well see how he fares in the AHL first, Lappierre should be in Hamilton after next season.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Higgins is a LW now, Chipchura we'll see what he does in a few years, Pleks can play wing, Urquhart I could see moved to wing he's not strong of draws or tying up his man down low, Locke well see how he fares in the AHL first, Lappierre should be in Hamilton after next season.
Hey Montreal? is Higgins at LW a permanent thing, has management converted him to LW for good or could his role change in Hamilton next year?

Also, from the games you've seen from Hamilton, is Plekanec a better C or LW?

Old
06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Hey Montreal? is Higgins at LW a permanent thing, has management converted him to LW for good or could his role change in Hamilton next year?

I think Higgins will stay at LW, he's got a nice shot, and is a smart player, so he could play any forward position, but I would think he'll be a LW for us and in Hamilton.

Plekanec is a better center imo but I don't recall seeing him on the LW. I know he has played there, just don't recall seeing it. He's usually a center, and if Hamilton next year he should be the top center. He's got good vision and playmaking skills, as well as speed accceleration and impressive stickhandling, which help him be an effective center.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Brownies

Quote:

I think André Savard said that Higgins was a better winger.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I think Higgins will stay at LW, he's got a nice shot, and is a smart player, so he could play any forward position, but I would think he'll be a LW for us and in Hamilton.

Plekanec is a better center imo but I don't recall seeing him on the LW. I know he has played there, just don't recall seeing it. He's usually a center, and if Hamilton next year he should be the top center. He's got good vision and playmaking skills, as well as speed accceleration and impressive stickhandling, which help him be an effective center.
You don't see Plekanec in Montreal next season? IMO, he'll make the team right out of camp, I don't think he has anything left to prove in the AHL, if you look at his career, he was plying vs. men at a young age, and when he came over to NA, he had no problem adjusting to the speed and size of the other players, according to the stats, he had a similar rookie season to Perezhogin and Higgins...

Old
06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
You don't see Plekanec in Montreal next season? IMO, he'll make the team right out of camp, I don't think he has anything left to prove in the AHL, if you look at his career, he was plying vs. men at a young age, and when he came over to NA, he had no problem adjusting to the speed and size of the other players, according to the stats, he had a similar rookie season to Perezhogin and Higgins...

First off I don't think there's going to be a season, if so I hope he makes the team, but where will he play? If Kovalev is signed and I've heard that Sundstrom may be resigned, where would Plekanec play? 2nd LW should be up for grabs, imo, but Dags, Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec should all be fighting for that spot.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
First off I don't think there's going to be a season, if so I hope he makes the team, but where will he play? If Kovalev is signed and I've heard that Sundstrom may be resigned, where would Plekanec play? 2nd LW should be up for grabs, imo, but Dags, Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec should all be fighting for that spot.
You're very pessimistic about the NHL next season. Personnaly I never believe the owner to be united & getting a full year or 2 of lockout, it's to damaging to the league.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a lockout of between 2 weeks to 3 months & we'll see a 40-50 games schedule next season.

Hi luxury tax & no more bonus for rookies.

Old
06-29-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Am I the only one on this whole board who thinks there will be a full hockey season next year??? I don't buy into all this lockout next year, it'll be just like the baseball near-strike, right now both parties are doing alot of public relations in the media to try to scare the other off, I don't buy into it, there's too much money to be made and lost...

Out of all the names you mentionned, I think Plekanec will be in direct competition with Hossa and Dagenais, if Kastsitsyn is brought over, I think he starts the season in Hamilton, it's the "Canadiens way", Perezhoing could also figure into the mix but with the whole suspension, he won't be there to start of the season and that's for sure...so IMO the 2nd line LW spot will be between

Hossa, Plekanec and Dagenais...

Dagenais-unless he's taking power skating lessons as we speak right now, he should be a injury replacement type of guy, or if one of the rookies is struggling he can step in for a few games and the team won't suffer as much of a letdown.

Hossa-is one of my favorite prospects, but you never know what you're going to get with him, if I were CJ, I would use an old trick I learnt from the movie Program, i'd give Hossa a hockey stick and a puck and tell him that the whole offseason, he has to carry the stick and puck everywhere, he'll even have to stickhandle at the supermarket just so he can learn to hold on to the puck for a few more seconds...but if he does improve in certain areas, he's my #1 choice for that spot.

Plekanec-we'll i've already said enough, but he's a prospect who many forget about, but he's probably been our most consitent prospect since that draft in terms of improvement from year to year...in another organization, he'd probably have seen a few more games than 2

Old
06-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Guy Caballero

I don't see Koivu as an effective player in his mid-30s, at least not at the level he's at now. His body has taken too much punishment. I think we'll see his role gradually shift to that of third-line character guy over the next few years.

Hab centres circa 2008:

Higgins
Plekanec
Koivu
Chipchura

Old
06-29-2004, 01:28 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
anyway they wont all make it and it is good to have choice and create a war for a spot in the lineup. You want it? Just be better than the other.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Am I the only one on this whole board who thinks there will be a full hockey season next year??? I don't buy into all this lockout next year, it'll be just like the baseball near-strike, right now both parties are doing alot of public relations in the media to try to scare the other off, I don't buy into it, there's too much money to be made and lost...

Out of all the names you mentionned, I think Plekanec will be in direct competition with Hossa and Dagenais, if Kastsitsyn is brought over, I think he starts the season in Hamilton, it's the "Canadiens way", Perezhoing could also figure into the mix but with the whole suspension, he won't be there to start of the season and that's for sure...so IMO the 2nd line LW spot will be between

Hossa, Plekanec and Dagenais...

Dagenais-unless he's taking power skating lessons as we speak right now, he should be a injury replacement type of guy, or if one of the rookies is struggling he can step in for a few games and the team won't suffer as much of a letdown.

Hossa-is one of my favorite prospects, but you never know what you're going to get with him, if I were CJ, I would use an old trick I learnt from the movie Program, i'd give Hossa a hockey stick and a puck and tell him that the whole offseason, he has to carry the stick and puck everywhere, he'll even have to stickhandle at the supermarket just so he can learn to hold on to the puck for a few more seconds...but if he does improve in certain areas, he's my #1 choice for that spot.

Plekanec-we'll i've already said enough, but he's a prospect who many forget about, but he's probably been our most consitent prospect since that draft in terms of improvement from year to year...in another organization, he'd probably have seen a few more games than 2
Actually I like Higgis for the 2nd line LW. If no Sundstrom, a checking line of Bulis Bonk Hossa might be interesting. It's unknown what will happen with Perezhogin, I hope to see him with the Habs instead of Russia, but we'll see what happens. Plekanec I'd rather see on the team over Hossa, and he could end up beating out Higgins for the LW spot depends on camp/preseason. Dags I hope isn't a regular.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
No, you're noy the only one. In the actuel situation, around 6 teams can't risk a lock-out. A lock-out could end up being the end of a franchise like Pittsburgs and players like Hull, Robitaille and many others...To much to lose VS what's to win with a lock-out!!! They can't risk all that so we will have a season.

As for Pleks making the team, I think it's either Higgs or Pleks. One of them will make it and the other one will see some NHL action later in the year. Hossa can be trade at some point but he will start in Montreal(if not, we lose him on waivers). I think Higgins have the best chance to win a spot in Montreal because he stick with the club for two weeks(despite only plying in 2 games). Management seem to like this kid so much...

Old
06-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Habsaku

I would despise to see Sundstrom back when there are many players on the farm who can suck just as much.

Closed Thread