HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future at Center

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2004, 11:24 AM
  #1
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,687
vCash: 500
Future at Center

With Koivu and Ribs still young, and Higgins, Chipchura, Plekanec, Urquhart, Locke, Lappierre all waiting in the wings, what do you think our future at center will look like? Will Julien decide to move some of these guys to the wing? Can any of these prospects at center play the wing as well? Thanks.

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 11:25 AM
  #2
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Higgins, Plekanec and Laperriere can play wing I think.

markov` is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 11:48 AM
  #3
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15
With Koivu and Ribs still young, and Higgins, Chipchura, Plekanec, Urquhart, Locke, Lappierre all waiting in the wings, what do you think our future at center will look like? Will Julien decide to move some of these guys to the wing? Can any of these prospects at center play the wing as well? Thanks.

Higgins is a LW now, Chipchura we'll see what he does in a few years, Pleks can play wing, Urquhart I could see moved to wing he's not strong of draws or tying up his man down low, Locke well see how he fares in the AHL first, Lappierre should be in Hamilton after next season.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 11:58 AM
  #4
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Higgins is a LW now, Chipchura we'll see what he does in a few years, Pleks can play wing, Urquhart I could see moved to wing he's not strong of draws or tying up his man down low, Locke well see how he fares in the AHL first, Lappierre should be in Hamilton after next season.
Hey Montreal? is Higgins at LW a permanent thing, has management converted him to LW for good or could his role change in Hamilton next year?

Also, from the games you've seen from Hamilton, is Plekanec a better C or LW?

417 is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 12:19 PM
  #5
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Hey Montreal? is Higgins at LW a permanent thing, has management converted him to LW for good or could his role change in Hamilton next year?

Also, from the games you've seen from Hamilton, is Plekanec a better C or LW?

I think Higgins will stay at LW, he's got a nice shot, and is a smart player, so he could play any forward position, but I would think he'll be a LW for us and in Hamilton.

Plekanec is a better center imo but I don't recall seeing him on the LW. I know he has played there, just don't recall seeing it. He's usually a center, and if Hamilton next year he should be the top center. He's got good vision and playmaking skills, as well as speed accceleration and impressive stickhandling, which help him be an effective center.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 12:31 PM
  #6
Brownies
Registered User
 
Brownies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Writing an Haiku or watching an habs game
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Hey Montreal? is Higgins at LW a permanent thing, has management converted him to LW for good or could his role change in Hamilton next year?

Also, from the games you've seen from Hamilton, is Plekanec a better C or LW?
I think André Savard said that Higgins was a better winger.

Brownies is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 12:51 PM
  #7
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I think Higgins will stay at LW, he's got a nice shot, and is a smart player, so he could play any forward position, but I would think he'll be a LW for us and in Hamilton.

Plekanec is a better center imo but I don't recall seeing him on the LW. I know he has played there, just don't recall seeing it. He's usually a center, and if Hamilton next year he should be the top center. He's got good vision and playmaking skills, as well as speed accceleration and impressive stickhandling, which help him be an effective center.
You don't see Plekanec in Montreal next season? IMO, he'll make the team right out of camp, I don't think he has anything left to prove in the AHL, if you look at his career, he was plying vs. men at a young age, and when he came over to NA, he had no problem adjusting to the speed and size of the other players, according to the stats, he had a similar rookie season to Perezhogin and Higgins...

417 is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
  #8
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
You don't see Plekanec in Montreal next season? IMO, he'll make the team right out of camp, I don't think he has anything left to prove in the AHL, if you look at his career, he was plying vs. men at a young age, and when he came over to NA, he had no problem adjusting to the speed and size of the other players, according to the stats, he had a similar rookie season to Perezhogin and Higgins...

First off I don't think there's going to be a season, if so I hope he makes the team, but where will he play? If Kovalev is signed and I've heard that Sundstrom may be resigned, where would Plekanec play? 2nd LW should be up for grabs, imo, but Dags, Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec should all be fighting for that spot.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
  #9
Russian Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
First off I don't think there's going to be a season, if so I hope he makes the team, but where will he play? If Kovalev is signed and I've heard that Sundstrom may be resigned, where would Plekanec play? 2nd LW should be up for grabs, imo, but Dags, Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec should all be fighting for that spot.
You're very pessimistic about the NHL next season. Personnaly I never believe the owner to be united & getting a full year or 2 of lockout, it's to damaging to the league.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a lockout of between 2 weeks to 3 months & we'll see a 40-50 games schedule next season.

Hi luxury tax & no more bonus for rookies.

Russian Fan is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
  #10
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 20,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
First off I don't think there's going to be a season, if so I hope he makes the team, but where will he play? If Kovalev is signed and I've heard that Sundstrom may be resigned, where would Plekanec play? 2nd LW should be up for grabs, imo, but Dags, Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec should all be fighting for that spot.
Am I the only one on this whole board who thinks there will be a full hockey season next year??? I don't buy into all this lockout next year, it'll be just like the baseball near-strike, right now both parties are doing alot of public relations in the media to try to scare the other off, I don't buy into it, there's too much money to be made and lost...

Out of all the names you mentionned, I think Plekanec will be in direct competition with Hossa and Dagenais, if Kastsitsyn is brought over, I think he starts the season in Hamilton, it's the "Canadiens way", Perezhoing could also figure into the mix but with the whole suspension, he won't be there to start of the season and that's for sure...so IMO the 2nd line LW spot will be between

Hossa, Plekanec and Dagenais...

Dagenais-unless he's taking power skating lessons as we speak right now, he should be a injury replacement type of guy, or if one of the rookies is struggling he can step in for a few games and the team won't suffer as much of a letdown.

Hossa-is one of my favorite prospects, but you never know what you're going to get with him, if I were CJ, I would use an old trick I learnt from the movie Program, i'd give Hossa a hockey stick and a puck and tell him that the whole offseason, he has to carry the stick and puck everywhere, he'll even have to stickhandle at the supermarket just so he can learn to hold on to the puck for a few more seconds...but if he does improve in certain areas, he's my #1 choice for that spot.

Plekanec-we'll i've already said enough, but he's a prospect who many forget about, but he's probably been our most consitent prospect since that draft in terms of improvement from year to year...in another organization, he'd probably have seen a few more games than 2

417 is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 01:17 PM
  #11
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
I don't see Koivu as an effective player in his mid-30s, at least not at the level he's at now. His body has taken too much punishment. I think we'll see his role gradually shift to that of third-line character guy over the next few years.

Hab centres circa 2008:

Higgins
Plekanec
Koivu
Chipchura

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 01:28 PM
  #12
F. Duchemin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Hilaire
Country: Canada
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
anyway they wont all make it and it is good to have choice and create a war for a spot in the lineup. You want it? Just be better than the other.

F. Duchemin is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 04:47 PM
  #13
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 24,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Am I the only one on this whole board who thinks there will be a full hockey season next year??? I don't buy into all this lockout next year, it'll be just like the baseball near-strike, right now both parties are doing alot of public relations in the media to try to scare the other off, I don't buy into it, there's too much money to be made and lost...

Out of all the names you mentionned, I think Plekanec will be in direct competition with Hossa and Dagenais, if Kastsitsyn is brought over, I think he starts the season in Hamilton, it's the "Canadiens way", Perezhoing could also figure into the mix but with the whole suspension, he won't be there to start of the season and that's for sure...so IMO the 2nd line LW spot will be between

Hossa, Plekanec and Dagenais...

Dagenais-unless he's taking power skating lessons as we speak right now, he should be a injury replacement type of guy, or if one of the rookies is struggling he can step in for a few games and the team won't suffer as much of a letdown.

Hossa-is one of my favorite prospects, but you never know what you're going to get with him, if I were CJ, I would use an old trick I learnt from the movie Program, i'd give Hossa a hockey stick and a puck and tell him that the whole offseason, he has to carry the stick and puck everywhere, he'll even have to stickhandle at the supermarket just so he can learn to hold on to the puck for a few more seconds...but if he does improve in certain areas, he's my #1 choice for that spot.

Plekanec-we'll i've already said enough, but he's a prospect who many forget about, but he's probably been our most consitent prospect since that draft in terms of improvement from year to year...in another organization, he'd probably have seen a few more games than 2
Actually I like Higgis for the 2nd line LW. If no Sundstrom, a checking line of Bulis Bonk Hossa might be interesting. It's unknown what will happen with Perezhogin, I hope to see him with the Habs instead of Russia, but we'll see what happens. Plekanec I'd rather see on the team over Hossa, and he could end up beating out Higgins for the LW spot depends on camp/preseason. Dags I hope isn't a regular.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
  #14
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Am I the only one on this whole board who thinks there will be a full hockey season next year??? I don't buy into all this lockout next year, it'll be just like the baseball near-strike, right now both parties are doing alot of public relations in the media to try to scare the other off, I don't buy into it, there's too much money to be made and lost...
No, you're noy the only one. In the actuel situation, around 6 teams can't risk a lock-out. A lock-out could end up being the end of a franchise like Pittsburgs and players like Hull, Robitaille and many others...To much to lose VS what's to win with a lock-out!!! They can't risk all that so we will have a season.

As for Pleks making the team, I think it's either Higgs or Pleks. One of them will make it and the other one will see some NHL action later in the year. Hossa can be trade at some point but he will start in Montreal(if not, we lose him on waivers). I think Higgins have the best chance to win a spot in Montreal because he stick with the club for two weeks(despite only plying in 2 games). Management seem to like this kid so much...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-29-2004, 05:28 PM
  #15
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
I would despise to see Sundstrom back when there are many players on the farm who can suck just as much.

Habsaku is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.