HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Minnesota

Old
02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

vCash: 500
Toronto - Minnesota

C Kyle Brodziak, 4th Round Pick 2011

D Carl Gunnarson

Why:

Toronto aquires Brodziak, A guy that would step in as a legitimate 3rd or 4th Line centre, a major upgrade from Brent or Boyce, plus he brings some offense.

Minnesota adds a young defenseman with promise who can step in right now. It improves depth on a weaker Minnesota Defense IMO.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:18 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Not a bad deal. Only knock on Brodziak is that he's a little slow and he plays a little soft... but he usually stays healthy, wins face-offs, plays good positional hockey and surprises ya with a few goals playing on the 3rd or 4th line.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:25 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperDean View Post

D Carl Gunnarson

Why:

Toronto aquires Brodziak, A guy that would step in as a legitimate 3rd or 4th Line centre, a major upgrade from Brent or Boyce, plus he brings some offense.

Minnesota adds a young defenseman with promise who can step in right now. It improves depth on a weaker Minnesota Defense IMO.
Might need to rethink that one there man. Sorry, but there isn't anything wrong with our defense or defensive depth. We've got plenty of nice young up and coming talent on defense. Stoner and Spurgeon playing very well. Scandella is hurt with a concussion but will be back eventually. Prosser, Noreau (AHL all star), Falk and Cuma down in the minors. No idea where you're getting the weak theory from.

Thanks for the offer, but no interest, no thanks.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Brodziak has been playing well lately and our defensive group, while not impressive on paper, has been really solid in the second half. Therefore, this would be a no go.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
TheLaughsWeKnow*

I'd do it.

TheLaughsWeKnow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Vladimir Tarasenko*

This would mean Lebda is a regular in our line-up, I don't know if I could handle that.

Vladimir Tarasenko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Tarasenko View Post
This would mean Lebda is a regular in our line-up, I don't know if I could handle that.
this

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
seanlinden

Toronto needs to think bigger/better in the context of acquiring a centre.

Unless they are acquiring a guy that is a bonafide top 6 playmaking centre (which Brodziak certainly isn't), then it doesn't make sense to trade for any other type of centre, especially at the cost of Gunnarsson.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Might need to rethink that one there man. Sorry, but there isn't anything wrong with our defense or defensive depth. We've got plenty of nice young up and coming talent on defense. Stoner and Spurgeon playing very well. Scandella is hurt with a concussion but will be back eventually. Prosser, Noreau (AHL all star), Falk and Cuma down in the minors. No idea where you're getting the weak theory from.

Thanks for the offer, but no interest, no thanks.
I partially agree. Yes we do have some depth in the minors. IMO Noreau will be a career AHLer. He has been an AHL all-star for a few years, there is a reason he doesn't get called up. I think this deal has a solid base but needs to be added to. I would love to have Gunnarson. He's young, solid both ways, and cheap. I think if we add Barker or maybe Falk/Prosser and get back a forward in return this could definitely work. You gotta remember too Zidlicky is already 34, that means as soon as this off-season a top-4 spot could be open as well as Zanon could be gone so theres another one, and although Stoner/Spurgeon have been playing solid personally i have no problem sending Spurgeon to Houston and scratching one of Barker/Stoner. As far as the other prospects mentioned..
Stoner- a tough 5/6 D.Nothing more.
Spurgeon- Undersized, decent puck mover but a 5/6 D.
Falk- Possibly a top-4 shutdown role type of guy, but also could very well be a better skating Stoner.
Prosser- Too soon to tell. Putting up good numbers in Houston but he is already 24.
Cuma- Injury issues and still needs another year or two in Houston. Top-4 potential though.
Scandella- Pretty much a sure thing top-4 D.

Last edited by El Nino22: 02-13-2011 at 12:10 PM.
El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Tarasenko View Post
Phanuef - Aulie
Kaberle - Schenn
Komisarek - Lashoff

Problem Solved.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Not a chance I'd trade Brodziak in this type of package given the way he's playing.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
I partially agree. Yes we do have some depth in the minors. IMO Noreau will be a career AHLer. He has been an AHL all-star for a few years, there is a reason he doesn't get called up. I think this deal has a solid base but needs to be added to. I would love to have Gunnarson. He's young, solid both ways, and cheap. I think if we add Barker or maybe Falk/Prosser and get back a forward in return this could definitely work.
Kyle Brodziak, Nate Prosser

Carl Gunnarson, Brayden Irwin

Irwin is good young guy would has potential to become a solid 4th Line centre in the NHL. Maybe Toronto adds a late pick? I'm not 100% on Prosser's value.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
El Nino22

Quote:

Irwin is good young guy would has potential to become a solid 4th Line centre in the NHL. Maybe Toronto adds a late pick? I'm not 100% on Prosser's value.
I don't think Irwin is what we're looking for. Im not real familiar with Toronto's prospects but Prosser is 6-11-17 and +5 in his first full pro season. Being 24 already is his only downside. We would probably be looking for a guy who is ready for the NHL and has some potential.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Not a chance I'd trade Brodziak in this type of package given the way he's playing.
The thing for me is Almond is ready for NHL time and next year someone's gotta go. I think trading Brodz while he is playing great and getting a good, young D like Gunnarson is pretty enticing offer for me at least.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

This would create a great 3rd line for Toronto:

Versteeg-Brodziak-Armstrong.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
The thing for me is Almond is ready for NHL time and next year someone's gotta go. I think trading Brodz while he is playing great and getting a good, young D like Gunnarson is pretty enticing offer for me at least.
The problem is the team isn't going to move it's second line center in the middle of a playoff chase. Especially if it's going to do nothing to help the current team.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

Quote:
I don't think Irwin is what we're looking for. Im not real familiar with Toronto's prospects but Prosser is 6-11-17 and +5 in his first full pro season. Being 24 already is his only downside. We would probably be looking for a guy who is ready for the NHL and has some potential.
Hanson?

Old
02-13-2011, 12:27 PM
nickschultzfan

Wild say no. They trade away a position of weakness and get back something they are already strong in.

They already have decent defensive prospects.

Brodziak, along with Koivu and Cullen, have given the Wild the strongest center group they have ever had. (They have been historically very weak at center).

Brodziak constantly wins puck battles, provides good defense, and has displayed decent offensive ability when playing with skilled players. He's had around 45 points in about 65 games with Havlat over the past two seasons. Once Latendresse gets back, Brodziak will probably hit 40-45 points this season (after having the first 1/3 of the season on the 4th line).

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
El Nino22

Idk about Hanson either..He puts up solid numbers in the AHL but isn't playing for you guys infront of some pretty bad players. Boyce, Brent, Crabb.. thats concerning.

Old
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
The problem is the team isn't going to move it's second line center in the middle of a playoff chase. Especially if it's going to do nothing to help the current team.
This. Brodziak's our 2nd line center and we're in a playoff race. Its debatable whether Gunnarson would be able to crack our D now, let alone when Zidlicky returns. All our D are under contract for next season, along with Scandella likely recovered from his concussion, so its not like Gunnarson is an ideal long-term fit either.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:55 PM
TheLaughsWeKnow*

Quote:

I'd do this too. Fair value.

TheLaughsWeKnow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
This would create a great 3rd line for Toronto:

Versteeg-Brodziak-Armstrong.
Versteeg-Hanson-Armstrong is better. Its funny that if a leafs fan makes a totally ridiculous trade they get flamed. But if someone else does it its ok and everyone tries to support it

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:

D Carl Gunnarson

Why:

The Leafs would pass on this, Gunner will be needed to fill out their top 4 potentially, especially with Kaberle potentially walking or being traded.

Boyce and Brent have been fine for the Leafs this year, and if we could acquire a centre that could fil out our top six, than Bozak fits in nice on the 3rd line, or even Kadri next year depending on where his defensive play is at.

Blaylock38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
it should be said that the only reason Brodziak brings any offense is he's playing on the second line with Havlat...you're going to get more chances there. Throw him on the 3rd or 4th line in Toronto and you're looking at no offense.

unless we're being offered a possible top pairing defenseman I don't think we're going to bite on a trade for one even if the value is there. we have a lot of bottom four defensemen in the system.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:46 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Although the value is close, I think the leafs would pass on it and heres why:

- We don't have many expendable assets that will bring back much value, making Gunnarson one of few that we can probably move.

- We have center depth, Bozak can be a 3rd line center, Grabo a 2nd. We have no first line center, so both of those guys have to be pushed up.

I really think the main reason would be that Burke would like to acquire a player with more offensive ability, preferably a top line center, or a top line PWF LW (yes I know both wouldn't come cheap), and Gunnarson would probably be included in such a package.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote