HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus at Dallas | 2/13 3PM EST | "Operation Uranus" Edition

Old
02-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley#45 View Post
You just have to look at the time on ice to see who the coaches feel comfortable with. Stralman has been good lately. here was the total toi for the D core tonight.

Hedja - 24.00 minutes - 1 assist +2
Methot - 23.15
Clitsome - 22.35 - solid game as usual
Tyutin - 21.04
Stralman - 15.26 - 2 assist +2
Russell - 14.10 - nothing from him again but what else is new

We can see who the coaches want out there. Even strength time is even more telling.
Strallman and Russell don't see much pk time, for good reason, and we had to kill 6 tonight, on the flip side we only had 2 PP. The D has been pretty good lately, top to bottom.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Am I correct that the winning goal by Nash was set up by a nice pass from the hated, "trade him for whatever", Jake Voracek?
If he could finish, he'd be an allstar. It was a great pass for sure. Jake can see the ice better than most 10 year vets.

Old
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Happy with the win, but now I'm beginning to see why Jake is the whipping boy around here. This game wouldn't have been close if Jake were a finisher. Missed 2 or 3 prime opportunities, including one wide open net. Gotta put those in, I don't know how many games like this our defense can handle.
I don't know if 'whipping boy' would be the right term. Certainly no more than a lot of other players. I think most people acknowledge what his skill set is, and some fans would like to see his spot replaced by someone who can score more regularly with the opportunities he's getting. Of course if you say anything that could be taken as a negative about Voracek, you become a villain around here. So more attention has been brought to it on these boards lately.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Saw the game and just read the thread. Very enthused with the play of today, strong start to finish. Keep it up boys.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Doug19

Regardless of his finishing problems this season, Voracek as they would say, plays the game the way it is supposed to be played. All the respect given to Umberger for never taking a shift off, the same should be given to Voracek. There isn't a player on this team in my opinion who goes all out every shift the way he does. I love Voracek, that isn't a secret, I am biased, but even if I didn't care for Voracek I would still see that the effort is there. I hate R.J. will every fiber of my body (exaggerating), but I still appreciate what he brings to the team.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Regardless of his finishing problems this season, Voracek as they would say, plays the game the way it is supposed to be played. All the respect given to Umberger for never taking a shift off, the same should be given to Voracek. There isn't a player on this team in my opinion who goes all out every shift the way he does. I love Voracek, that isn't a secret, I am biased, but even if I didn't care for Voracek I would still see that the effort is there. I hate R.J. will every fiber of my body (exaggerating), but I still appreciate what he brings to the team.
Derek Dorsett.

Seriously, Voracek gives alot on the ice, for sure. He needs to learn to put the dagger in when he has an opening. He needs that killer instinct. His playmaking abilities compliment Nash very well, but he won't be respected as a top line wing until he starts finishing.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:20 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

San Jose lost....YES!

C'moooooooooooooooooon OIL!

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:34 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Im still not a fan of Russell and the StrawMan. Especially Strawman. Im willing to deal him out of here. A few games of solid play is fine but its not gonna change my opinion of him. He is not Top 4 NHL Dman caliber, and maybe not even in the Top 6.

MattTheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
I've been critical of Stralman quite a bit this year and last, and although I have reservations, he has at least shown me in the past week or two that he indeed does have an NHL game. It's sort of weird being impressed when a guy actually finishes his checks, but I am nonetheless impressed with his checking and board play recently. He seems to have a purpose and fight that he did not have before. I suppose being afraid of dropping out of the NHL completely lights a certain fire under him. Good. We need it.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
blahblah

Nice road win.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:26 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
I've been critical of Stralman quite a bit this year and last, and although I have reservations, he has at least shown me in the past week or two that he indeed does have an NHL game. It's sort of weird being impressed when a guy actually finishes his checks, but I am nonetheless impressed with his checking and board play recently. He seems to have a purpose and fight that he did not have before. I suppose being afraid of dropping out of the NHL completely lights a certain fire under him. Good. We need it.
Agree with most of this. As recently as 3 weeks ago I declared that Stralman was "the worst player on this team, and second place isn't even close". He has played his way out of that statement, but he needs to keep it up. It's been a nice little stretch, but he's got to keep at it!

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
This. Great post. Maybe Arniel is displaying a little mastery here in the art of persuasion and motivation. We saw it with Tyutin, and Huselius.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
This. Great post. Maybe Arniel is displaying a little mastery here in the art of persuasion and motivation. We saw it with Tyutin, and Huselius.
Yes, 13 scratches weren't enough. That 14th did the trick.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Strallman and Russell don't see much pk time, for good reason, and we had to kill 6 tonight, on the flip side we only had 2 PP. The D has been pretty good lately, top to bottom.
even strength toi

Hedja - 18.37
Methot - 17.45
Tyutin - 16.43
Clitsome - 16.18
Stralman - 14.46
Russell - 11.50

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Palinka

Stralman has looked substantially better of late. Personally, I'm of the opinion that players whose game skews very heavily toward offensive production tend to be extremely slump-prone, possibly because an offensive dry spell can't be overcome with anything else that is done well.

Kris Russell is a good example. When he's on his game, he looks pretty danged good out there. When he's off, he looks like someone who should be buried in the AHL for life. When Huselius is on his game, he looks like an All-Star. When he's off, you hope that a stay on the bench will keep him from making a series of questionable plays.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:54 AM
Gulvorn

The next 2 games are even more critical. Seems like every game is a must win. But the Jackets have to win games now against teams directly in front of them if they want to finally put a dent into climbing the standings. They made that 8 point gap now 4 points, though some teams have a game in hand now. The best way to make that up would be to beat LA on Wed and then Chicago on Friday.

Of course everyone's hot now somehow. LAK are on a 10 game road trip atm and have gotten points in all 6 of their games so far. After the next few games we then have mostly games against top or bottom teams.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:39 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

awesome victory. btw, it seems that stralman waked up from a winter sleep.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Persistence is a virtue.

Old
02-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley#45 View Post
even strength toi

Hedja - 18.37
Methot - 17.45
Tyutin - 16.43
Clitsome - 16.18
Stralman - 14.46
Russell - 11.50
Thats alot more typical spread of minutes. Hejda skates about 50% more than Russ even strength, while almost doubling Russell in total TOI. Russel had 2:20 in PP TOI. Hejda logged over 5 minutes SH.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:04 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote