HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what the deal with all this goaltending?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Kugel

vCash: 500
what the deal with all this goaltending?

first st.louis doesnt have any goaltending now they have tons with lalime, osgood, divis, baschuiaura, and schawrez........ i dont understand the belle deal.......he was your best prospect. can someone explain

Old
06-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugel
first st.louis doesnt have any goaltending now they have tons with lalime, osgood, divis, baschuiaura, and schawrez........ i dont understand the belle deal.......he was your best prospect. can someone explain
1. Belle wasn't the best prospect. Best d prospect, yes, but not best prospect. Also note that the Blues have Jackman, Backman, and Walker, all under 25. Byrne who is a top 4 prospect in the AHL, Stuart, Mckenzie (5-6) in the AHL and Robin Johnsson in Europe (we hope he is coming over this year).

2. Osgood isn't going to have his option picked up. So the Blues get Lalime for a 4th rounder.

3. Noone in the world projected Schawtz to fall to the Blues at 17. Plus both he and Barulin are 4-6 years away from playing in the NHL.

4. 'Cash is a good prospect, but we did have to give up a lot to get him. He will spend time w/ the 'Cats next season and push Sanford.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Pleau pulls the trade for 'Cash if he knew Schartz was going to the Blues at 17.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:39 PM
c-carp

Depth at the most important position on the ice is far better than the alternative. I dont mind these moves at all.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Timmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
1. Belle wasn't the best prospect. Best d prospect, yes, but not best prospect. Also note that the Blues have Jackman, Backman, and Walker, all under 25. Byrne who is a top 4 prospect in the AHL, Stuart, Mckenzie (5-6) in the AHL and Robin Johnsson in Europe (we hope he is coming over this year).

2. Osgood isn't going to have his option picked up. So the Blues get Lalime for a 4th rounder.

3. Noone in the world projected Schawtz to fall to the Blues at 17. Plus both he and Barulin are 4-6 years away from playing in the NHL.

4. 'Cash is a good prospect, but we did have to give up a lot to get him. He will spend time w/ the 'Cats next season and push Sanford.

Hindsight being 20/20, I don't think Pleau pulls the trade for 'Cash if he knew Schartz was going to the Blues at 17.

I think it's an excellent example of prospect levelling. I'm very surprised that more teams don't do this. Almost all teams draft "the best available player" and it leaves many teams with more assets in one position than they can play and few in another.

I wish that the leafs would consider this. They have plenty of Dmen in the minors and keep drafting them due to the best available approach, but they need forward prospects and should follow the Blues lead in this....

So anyway, I think it's smart asset management by the Blues. Kudos.

Old
06-30-2004, 03:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Schwarz >>>>>>> Cash

Old
07-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
I think it's an excellent example of prospect levelling. I'm very surprised that more teams don't do this. Almost all teams draft "the best available player" and it leaves many teams with more assets in one position than they can play and few in another.

I wish that the leafs would consider this. They have plenty of Dmen in the minors and keep drafting them due to the best available approach, but they need forward prospects and should follow the Blues lead in this....

So anyway, I think it's smart asset management by the Blues. Kudos.
I think BPA works. The key is then to trade some of your d prospects for other needs. Prospects are just assets, the team w/ the best assets can use them to improve themselves via trades... Toronto gave up a lot of picks in this years draft and based on the number of deals done at the trade deadline, the last two years, I think it has hurt their position.

Closed Thread