HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

weekes dumped

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 09:47 AM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
weekes dumped

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/h...-7510096c.html
take my gm...please. what a joke.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
With Eddie re-signed I think I'll pass on Weekes since I think it's time Tellqvist got promoted to the Big Club.

had Eddie not been Re-signed though I would have jumped at this opprotunity, Weekes is a Solid goaltender entering the prime of his career.

...oh and yes I am John Fergueson Junior...

Old
07-01-2004, 09:50 AM
The Jerk

This is a surprise, was there no interest in him at all?? I'm sure they could have dealt him and got something...

Old
07-01-2004, 09:51 AM
The Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
With Eddie re-signed I think I'll pass on Weekes since I think it's time Tellqvist got promoted to the Big Club.

had Eddie not been Re-signed though I would have jumped at this opprotunity, Weekes is a Solid goaltender entering the prime of his career.

...oh and yes I am John Fergueson Junior...
Then why can't you spell your own name?

Old
07-01-2004, 09:53 AM
degroat*

Quite a questionable decision there... certainly they could have gotten SOMETHING for him even if it was as little as the 4th rounder the Sens got for Lalime.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by vik
Then why can't you spell your own name?
because I am drunk...

I signed Eddie to 7 million over 2 years!? with a 3rd option!?

holy **** I gotta stop drinking on these important dates.

Old
07-01-2004, 10:23 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
If Weekes was dumped(yet again) he may find it hard to find a new home. I still remember the stories of his antics is Vancouver!! He was there a short time and they arae legendary

Old
07-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
If Weekes was dumped(yet again) he may find it hard to find a new home. I still remember the stories of his antics is Vancouver!! He was there a short time and they arae legendary

Like the time he showed up late for practice and claimed he was mugged and had his wallet stolen?

Old
07-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Would he sign on to the Panthers in a backup role, or is he looking for a starter's salary?

Old
07-01-2004, 11:03 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
Would he sign on to the Panthers in a backup role, or is he looking for a starter's salary?
i dont see after a really great season like he had, he would want to go back to being a backup. he really couldnt have done much more to show he can be a quality starter. im sure he wants to go somewhere where he would at least get a chance to compete for the job. if that doesnt happen for him - im sure he'll take whatever he can get. i think the rangers are a good fit - they need someone solid who can help out, be better then dunham, and hold the fort until one of the youngsters is ready. the link even mentions the rangers interest - which makes me wonder why weekes wasnt qualified then eventually traded . i think rutherford overreacted to his fear of arbitration.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Looks like Rutherford is interested in Crosby.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Looks like Rutherford is interested in Crosby.
What an inflamatory statement!

Gerber is more of a goalie than Weekes. He has more talent. He has better character - heck, my 3 year old son has more character than Weekes. And he is cheaper. I think Carolina improved themselves in this aspect.

As for letting Weekes go for nothing...well...Rutherford said he tried moving the kid but with July 1/04 being so close teams are gambling that Weekes could be had for free...and it turned out they were right. In this new age of the NHL you would rather shed salaries than get bodies in return...and teams seem interested in holding onto draft picks.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I don't see why this is inflamatory. Plus, it certainly looks like it is true.

Which is, kind of sad but then again why would I expect anything else from Rutherford?

Old
07-01-2004, 11:39 AM
bleedgreen

i dont fully agree that gerber is better than weekes....yet. weekes had a great season for a team that hung him out all year long. there is no way of telling if gerber would have done any better (or anyone else for that matter). i feel bad for weekes since he did everything he could have to prove his worth. i dont think either goalie will lead a team to the cup - so from the team pov i dont think its that big a deal. i just dont think rutherford gets the concept of asset management, im sure he had a time earlier when he couldve made a move here and didnt. they could have called the other teams bluff and qualified him, then traded. lou doesnt have a problem doing that in jersey - but he didnt have a potential overpaid goalie likeweekes to contend with. as for the crosby statement - i think its unlikely that gerber cant do a similar job so i think thats an unfair remark. if the attack is solely aimed at the gm, not the players....i have no problem with it. im done with rutherford. even if he makes a couple smart moves this summer - his overall stamp on this team leaves me unimpressed.

Old
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Is there a team that is currently looking for a goalie?

Old
07-01-2004, 12:38 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
i know !.. since gerber must be a bonafide number one goalie in today's nhl, i was flabbergasted at such comments...

Old
07-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
i know !.. since gerber must be a bonafide number one goalie in today's nhl, i was flabbergasted at such comments...
Pardon me for a second...but claiming an NHL GM is tanking the season purposefully, right now even, in order to claim Crosby first over all is the most stupid, inflammatory comment anyone could make.

That poster was accusing Rutherford of tanking on purpose - that's inflammatory.

Me saying Garon is a bona-fide #1 goalie 'could' be taken as grandiose...definetly not inflammatory though.

And besides, if Rutherford wanted to "tank" the season he should have kept Weekes and let O'Neil and company walk away.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Street Hawk

Not Surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan

I kind of expected one of Weekes, Fernandez, or Biron to not be qualified. Of course, of that group, I thought it would have been Fernandez.

In terms of teams that could use Weekes, I think there are really 2 or 3 teams that need goaltending.

One, is the Oilers. They have Conklin and they re-acquired Markkennen late last year, but both have limited experience. Given the Oilers paid most of Salo's 4.5 million last season, if they can get Weekes for around 2 million or so, he'd be a nice fit there to share time with Conklin.

Two, is Phoenix. Boucher needed to be qualified at over 2 million per season, so I'm not sure if they did that. If they QO'd him, he'd be a fool not to sign the contract. If the Coyotes didn't QO, then Weekes would be a nice fit too to split time with Bierk, unitl LeNeveu is ready for NHL action.

New York Rangers is the final team and given the Market, I think Weekes is the best option for the team. They need someone better than what Dunham gave them last year.

Outside of that, there are not immediate openings for the #1 goalie.

If I'm Fernandez or Biron, I would sign my QO right now. If they opt not to sign and their respective clubs walk away from the arbitration ruling, who knows what those 3 teams would have done with their goaltending. They could try to trade for a backup like Toskala or something and fill their goalie needs. So, these 2 guys could be left out in the cold, cause you only need 2 goalies and no one wants to eat a contract. Signing the QO would ensure each goalie an NHL contract once the season resumes. For Biron, it's vital, since the Sabres could easily cut him loose and go with Noronen/Miller as their duo. Fernandez could lose his job to Holmqvist.

If I'm the Wild, I might regret having offered Fernandez his QO. 2.35 million is a lot for a guy who split time with Roloson last year.

For the Sabres, if Biron resigns, they may have to trade Noronen, as Biron might not have any takers given his contract. Oilers and Coyotes probably would then prefer Noronen as his contract would be less.

And finally, Weekes being cut loose may have an effect on Dan Cloutier. He's mulling over his QO right now and given that Weekes is on the market, who knows what kind of a chain reaction it might set off in Minny and Buffalo. The longer Weekes is out there more ansy Cloots should be about going to arbitration. A big raise and the Nucks would walk away.

Last edited by Street Hawk: 07-01-2004 at 01:21 PM. Reason: type
Old
07-01-2004, 03:12 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:

That poster was accusing Rutherford of tanking on purpose - that's inflammatory.
hmm, maybe that's how you read it, i read it like this:

rutherford is a bonehead who isn't taking this team in the right direction, instead he's taking them down deeper, and they'll be awful next year and in line for crosby...

unless viscious actually said "rutherford is tanking on purpose", we don't know since it is a message board and we're all 'toneless'..

Old
07-01-2004, 04:40 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Good for Gerber, You wanted to be a starter now lets see what you can do!

Old
07-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
Agreed. I thought this was a stupid move the second I saw it, but then again, I don't know what the goalie market is like. There might be zero demand for Weekes, though he is a very solid goalie. In any case, I think it's a pretty stupid move. Just qualify the guy, and if he wants too much money, you ship him out in a trade or else walk away like the Bruins did from Berard last year. Utter stupidity to let a goalie like Weekes get away for nothing.

Old
07-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Team Dandenault

Send a message via Yahoo to Team Dandenault
You guys are giving Jim Rutherford way too much credit. He's just not bright enough to intentionally tank the season to land Crosby. He's dumber than you think you think he is.

Sadly, I think the acquisition of Geber is an attempt to land the next season's Kiprusoff. To expect that kind of success out of Gerber is...sinful. :devil:

Old
07-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
Just qualify the guy, and if he wants too much money, you ship him out in a trade or else walk away like the Bruins did from Berard last year. Utter stupidity to let a goalie like Weekes get away for nothing.
Exactly, just walk away from the arbitration hearing if it is too much or you feel you want be able to trade him. But letting a decent #1 goalie walk for nothing? I don't really understand the logic there. Worst case scenario, you let him walk after all other options have been tested. But maybe Rutherford would've rather just get it over with. In any case, I think it could've been handled better.

Old
07-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan

As Street Hawk has said, Edmonton, the Rangers but I would also add Pittsburgh (at the right price) and he's certainly no worse than what the Kings have and maybe the Caps if Kolzig is moved? I don't see Phoenix though with Boucher and Johnson resigned.

Closed Thread