HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN on Demitra Contract

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
TSN on Demitra Contract

While the Blues will retain Pronger, they probably won't give winger Pavol Demitra his $6.5-million qualifying offer, not with Keith Tkachuk ($9 million) and Doug Weight ($7 million) already on the books for next season. So expect Demitra to hit the market Thursday as an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=89327

Old
06-29-2004, 06:11 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
While the Blues will retain Pronger, they probably won't give winger Pavol Demitra his $6.5-million qualifying offer, not with Keith Tkachuk ($9 million) and Doug Weight ($7 million) already on the books for next season. So expect Demitra to hit the market Thursday as an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=89327
I hope not, only time will tell.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I take this with a grain of salt. That article was quoting Blues management. So, it is hardly a done deal.

I hope it works out for you loyal Blues fans one way or the other.

BTW, that article also said the Isles many not qualify Hamrlik. Its not like St. Louis is alone in this situation.

Old
06-30-2004, 11:54 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

I used to think it a bad idea to let Demitra go, but I am slowly changing my opinion on that.

Demitra can score goals...in spurts. Demitra is not strong on the puck, he doesn't go into corners and he won't take a hit to make the play (at least from what I have seen, and I admit to having tinted glasses when evaluating him)

Demitra is not a play-off performer, he should be playing on the second line (at best) so that the pressure is off of him.

The Blues cannot afford Walt, Weight, Prongs and Millions. Walt and Weight have NTC's and Pronger is a franchise-type (who needs to improve still and stop taking retalitory(sp?) penalties) and is coveted by about 29 other NHL clubs.

I am thinking that Blues management has been shopping Demitra and has not had any nibbles. Most NHL teams are not intersted in paying that sort of money, and probably would be wanting the Blues to pay some of the salary. That should be a no-go as the Blues would have to look into a similar situation should they ever look into trading Weight or Walt.

This is about keeping options open. The NHL is going to be a different creature once play resumes and there may be many surprising names who become UFA in that time.

For awhile there I wondered if letting Demitra go was the Blues managements attempt to get Walt to demand a trade, but that seems like cutting of your nose to spite your face. I think Demitra needs a change, and so do the Blues. It takes away our only true sniper and it removes the speed aspect of the Blues game even further, but I think it is a change that needs to happen, and opens up the Blues options for after the Armegedon. After the NHL has a plan, perhaps the Blues can resign Demitra (or any other UFA) for a reasonable price.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:21 PM
c-carp

I think they are just trying to get him for less if they can, or if he walks get a couple of players for the money they would have spent on him.

Closed Thread