HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs moving up in the standings more likely

Old
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
llamateizer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Oh please, we lost to the Bruins and then there were 4 threads about toughness, one about being sellers, one about heart. Everyone was complaining in every thread saying that Gauthier shouldnt be acquiring other players. 4-5 posters said to gut half the team.

Please everything went from being all rainbows and butterflies before the bruins game saying we were going to beat them yet again, to all doom and gloom with posters calling for everyone's head.

I don't care about differing opinions. I don't agree with almost anything with Whitesnake says, but he's rational about it and hardly ever takes a whiney extremist position because we have a couple of bad games.

I follow koseegin on this.
People seems to evaluate the team in 1 game or a small sample.

A player is on a Cold streak, time to trade or a bust.
I saw a pouliot Appreciation thread after the Leafs game... why not before?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Stubbs88

I would love for the Habs to sneak up and steal the divions from the Bruins, just to see their smug fans whine about it.

Like others have said the only team I fear is Philly. Any other team I am comfortable with the Habs in a 7 game series.

People are saying Tampa can beat Philly. I agree with that but the only way Tampa and the Flyers meet is the ECF. I see both teams finishing where they currently sit, 1 and 2.

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I actually want to face Philly. I know we can beat them, and I want us to beat the best.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:58 PM
haburger*

the habs can beat any one in the east.its gonna be an interesting playoffs.i think price is gonna step up bigtime an b a huge difference.

haburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
masterquan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I actually want to face Philly. I know we can beat them, and I want us to beat the best.
seriously fellas with this post as with many others in this thread,habs have no chance against a healthy philly team,just like the bruins dont stand a chance against them, barring any huge trades at the deadline,and philly stays healthy they walk away with the east championship

masterquan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Next Best Thing*

Let Boston face Philadelphia and have it go to 7 games again... while we wait

As for the topic, I doubt it's gonna be that easy.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

It;s not impossible for le Canadien to overtake to overtake the Capitals, Penguins, ansd even the Guins,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:11 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
giving me the choice,
i dont want to face the flyers.
that means also, that we finish 8th (or 7th)

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:12 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterquan14 View Post
seriously fellas with this post as with many others in this thread,habs have no chance against a healthy philly team,just like the bruins dont stand a chance against them, barring any huge trades at the deadline,and philly stays healthy they walk away with the east championship
If you were at the least knowledgeable about hockey, you'd know that there is no such thing as "have no chance to win".

It's hockey. Anything can happen. And we love that sport for that very reason.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:15 PM
masterquan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
If you were at the least knowledgeable about hockey, you'd know that there is no such thing as "have no chance to win".

It's hockey. Anything can happen. And we love that sport for that very reason.
true "anything" can happen in hockey,but i guess thats why the playoffs are the best of 7,and of course not always,usually the best team wins,and they are the superior team....by far,over both our clubs

Old
02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
giving me the choice,
i dont want to face the flyers.
that means also, that we finish 8th (or 7th)
I didn't necessarily say it should happen in the 1st round.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:29 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
true "anything" can happen in hockey,but i guess thats why the playoffs are the best of 7,and of course not always,usually the best team wins,and they are the superior team....by far,over both our clubs
Everyone said the Habs would lose against Washington last year, and then again against Pittsburgh. Anything can happen in hockey and with the Flyers sketchy goaltending they can be beaten, no doubt about it. I really want the Habs to get them in the playoffs for a chance at redemption.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
You know that last year's ECF was between a 7th and 8th seed right? Regular season success doesn't always translate to post season and I could see Philly being surprised by a lower seed that plays great team D and doesn't make many mistakes.

PS- I know Philly is usually great in the post season but they also usually get to play the underdog card which can be huge.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:43 PM
masterquan14

i agree with the above 2 posts,its playoff hockey which is a whole different game,Im just saying,right now they look scary,and if they trade for a goalie at the deadline,lookout.believe me after bostons huge choke last year,i would love to pound them outta the playoffs as well,but again,barring injuries or a huge trade,gota admit they look like a huge favorite

Old
02-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Pittsburgh's gonna have a real rough time unless Crosby comes back. Both him and Malkin out is not good news for them.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Pittsburgh's gonna have a real rough time unless Crosby comes back. Both him and Malkin out is not good news for them.
When Pittsburgh lost Crosby, they at least still had Malkin. He had stepped up in the past whenever Syd went down, so there was no reason to panic. They went 3-2-1 in the following six games after until Malkin went down himself. Luckily for them, they didn't face their schedule wasn't a very heavy one, facing teams like NJ-NYI-BUF and more average ones like NYR and Carolina. So, knowing Malkin was simply battling a virus, certain players could step up for a week or two knowing Malkin would soon be back. Fleury was the key player during the good run until Malkin came back when they went 5-1-0.
Malkin comes back, gets injured after 5min of ice time, and this time, it looks severe. Team is slowly crumbling. Having nothing more than average wingers will crush the Pens until Crosby comes back. It'll be a good time for Staal to finally really earn his 4M price tag as well.
Personally, I can just see the Pens completely crashing. If Crosby is out until mid-march, they will drop in the standings.

Old
02-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
When Pittsburgh lost Crosby, they at least still had Malkin. He had stepped up in the past whenever Syd went down, so there was no reason to panic. They went 3-2-1 in the following six games after until Malkin went down himself. Luckily for them, they didn't face their schedule wasn't a very heavy one, facing teams like NJ-NYI-BUF and more average ones like NYR and Carolina. So, knowing Malkin was simply battling a virus, certain players could step up for a week or two knowing Malkin would soon be back. Fleury was the key player during the good run until Malkin came back when they went 5-1-0.
Malkin comes back, gets injured after 5min of ice time, and this time, it looks severe. Team is slowly crumbling. Having nothing more than average wingers will crush the Pens until Crosby comes back. It'll be a good time for Staal to finally really earn his 4M price tag as well.
Personally, I can just see the Pens completely crashing. If Crosby is out until mid-march, they will drop in the standings.
The Pens haven't ''crashed'' since the Therrien days if I remember correctly.

Even with Crosby out, and Malkin slumping, they are 6-4 in the last 10.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The challenge here is that we cant predict the injuries down the road, and while the habs have one of the best home records in the entire league, the road record has been mediocre at best, and the majority of the games left are on the road.

You expect a win at home against Buffalo, but then you start the western canadian road trip which has been haunting the habs as of late. You gotta take advantage of edmonton because you got a very tough and motivated Calgary team right after, and then there's Vancouver, where the habs repeatedly save up their worst game of the season.

A couple consecutive wins or a couple consecutive losses seems to change the standings quite wildly.

It should be an interesting finish.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:45 AM
habtastic

One thing is for sure, we cannot let points slip away like against the lslanders the other night. I was at the Leafs game and we really did (from my POV of being able to see where everyone was at all times) play a solid structured game. Spacek and Hammer really impressed me compared to the way they'd been struggling lately. Thing is, the Leafs were AWFUL. We still need to keep getting better. If Cammy can turn it on, we'll be in good position, and I re-iterate that I think our forwards are fine given the cost of getting an "impact" player. A D who can really shut down the offense and who is quick would be my ideal solution. Just because (and it's been pretty true in the last month) I've seen our defense suffer compared to what it looked like with Gorges, who is not the type of player I described, but plays like one. If we actually want a shot at the Cup, we need a quicker D. I personally don't buy into the "toughness" thing. If we play to our potential, and that includes EVERYONE, we have enough firepower to beat teams in all three zones. Let's all pray that AK becomes a goal-scoring machine fast. Pray hard.

habtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:23 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
The Pens haven't ''crashed'' since the Therrien days if I remember correctly.

Even with Crosby out, and Malkin slumping, they are 6-4 in the last 10.
lost four of their last five games.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:45 AM
buddahsmoka1

Third is obviously the most desireable because of our home record, but 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, are all good seeds for us.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
neofury*

I'm almost positive we'll end the year 3rd or 6th, I'm also almost positive Boston will be in the same boat.

It's going to be one hell of a playoff if that's the case.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:25 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I personally don't care as long as we don't face the Flyers in the 1st round. Ideally Boston/Rangers would be a good match-up.
Strangely, if the Habs have to face the Flyers in the playoffs, I wish it would be in the first round. I understand that many people will disagree with me, but here's why:

The first round is always the toughest for a first place team. The 8th place team has nothing to lose while the first place team is clearly the favorite and is "coming down" from their season long success "happiness".

If the first place team gets to the second round, it means that their engine is fully running and soaring. On the other hand, the team that finish in the bottom 4 could be already satisfied with its first series win... I consider that what the Habs did last year is an exception.

But hey, that's pro sport, anything can happen. It's just my feeling.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Not this person. Those people would have us rebuild even though we're a 6th seed and 1 point out of 3rd. They believe we can't win the Cup with the core we have, so let's scrap it and rebuild for the future when they don't realize the future is right infront of us with a group of exciting young players led by vets entering the prime of their careers.
I don't believe we can win the cup with what we have presently (barring a big addition at the deadline).

That said, I also don't believe we should rebuild right now. We should have back when Gainey went on a mad GM spending spree but it's too late now. We have to make do with what we have and hope Gauthier can make us take the next step forward.

Anyone who believes this team is a cup contender is just kidding themselves. Just listening to people saying "Hope we don't face the flyers" tell you all you need to know.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:39 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Anyone who believes this team is a cup contender is just kidding themselves. Just listening to people saying "Hope we don't face the flyers" tell you all you need to know.
Mate, let's say that for a second, a fluke happens to the Flyers and they get out. Is there anyone in the East we can't give a strong competition?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote