HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2/13/11 vs NYI

Old
02-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
2/13/11 vs NYI

G:

Stafford's continued success. Two hat tricks in three games, eight goals in the past four? Nice.

Gerbe & Ennis's effort tonight. Once again, the young kids are rising to the occasion and showing they can be NHL regulars (and borderline stars).

Miller did have a couple of nice saves.

Sekera wasn't seriously injured in the first period & was able to finish.

Oh, and that Grabner's gonna be a helluva player. Wasn't he on waivers as recently as a season ago or so?

B:

No power play goals for Buffalo tonight. So much for the 9th best PP in the League.

U:

Miller's gotta have some rest here. Ruff can't ride him down the stretch. Miller's too tired to make the big save when he's needed.

Buffalo's defensive effort tonight.

Add it on, folks.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Well, a point is a point, and the Sabres continue to put them on the board. Giving up seven goals though points to some serious defensive holes and problems with Miller's play. This team needs to trade for a backup and do it ASAP. Someone needs to play the Montreal or Toronto game not named Miller.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

This hasn't been talked about much, but the reffing was atrocious. I think that's one of the main reasons why we lost. Giving a team a 5 on 3 because of two weak hooks just isn't fair at all. I'd understand two legit calls, but the two hooks that were called could have easily not been called.

I can't remember the last time when the refs were on our side in a game. There have been a lot of games lately where refs call weak penalties on us at bad times.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
This hasn't been talked about much, but the reffing was atrocious. I think that's one of the main reasons why we lost. Giving a team a 5 on 3 because of two weak hooks just isn't fair at all. I'd understand two legit calls, but the two hooks that were called could have easily not been called.
That second "one" in particular was weak sauce.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Well, a point is a point, and the Sabres continue to put them on the board. Giving up seven goals though points to some serious defensive holes and problems with Miller's play. This team needs to trade for a backup and do it ASAP. Someone needs to play the Montreal or Toronto game not named Miller.
Miller must play against Toronto. Must. You cannot put that career record vs Toronto on the bench. It's almost an automatic two points. Sit Miller against Montreal or St. Louis on Friday, but not Toronto.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Good:

-Despite the 3-2 score, they looked very good in the first period.
-Stafford, obviously
-Ennis and Connolly
-Myers looked confident
-I don't know what his stat line was, but Weber looked very good again to me. He's been our best defender lately
-Getting another point
-Gerbe

Bad:
-Losing a game we led by 2 goals
-Defensive zone coverage
-Only getting one point
-I didn't notice Vanek much

Ugly:
-All the goaltenders
-Second period effort
-Lindy not pulling Miller after #6 at least

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
LFDM

G:
Getting a point!
If Connolly continues to play like that, I am satisfied.

B:
Letting them back in. This looked like a sure win midway through the second. Islanders looked bad, but the Sabres made a comeback possible...

U:
Vanek gonna be one unhappy fella after this season. Grabner getting more goals than him and Nödl winning the Stanley Cup as the first austrian

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
OpethianSabre20

The Good:
-Drew Stafford's still tearing goalies a new one. His whole line was very good today
-Myers was great. That wrist shot of his is downright wicked.
-Gerbe's goal
-Grabner's a force. How did the Panthers let this guy go?
-The offense in general

The Bad:
-Butler has been Mr. Hand-Grenade ever since he's been back.
-Sekera's gaffe in OT
-The PK

The Ugly:
-Miller was awful. He's definitely playing at level below last year and on top of that, he's started what seems like a million games in a row. Play Lalime or Enroth!
-The refs were shoddy at best today. There were definitely some weak/missed calls going around.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

G:
- Stafford was great, again. Get him resigned now!
- I thought Hecht had a good game.
- Myers had a good game.
- Connolly made some plays.

B:
- Reffing.
- Giving up so many wide open chances. There was a sequence where we gave up like 3 wide open shots in the slot in a manner of 10 seconds. Our defensive zone coverage was downright piss poor.

U:
- Miller needs a rest. Badly.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
PuckSim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post

I can't remember the last time when the refs were on our side in a game. There have been a lot of games lately where refs call weak penalties on us at bad times.
I think the hooks were fine calls, I don't have a problem with either one. My problem with the reffing comes from the blatantly obvious High stick on Myers, and the invisible Elbow from McCormick. That elbow looked like one of the weird "elbow" calls from NHL 11

Good:
Ennis Connolly Stafford was a fearsome line together, great cycling, and a couple of pretty goals
Gerbe looked sharp and was making things happen
Stafford with the Hatty of course.
Myers looks to be regaining his form
Points in the last 4 games and a divisional game on Tuesday which statistically the Sabres have done well with.

Bad:
I'm just really tired of the Grier Gaustad Neids line. The only Sabres players who were minus tonight, coupled with the Goose giveaway leading to that goal puts them in this category.
Sekera had a bit of a tough game, not entirely his fault, but I thought he was tentative with the puck a lot of the night.
Miller was not sharp, I didn't think all of the goals were his fault, but a couple of the goals were on him, which brings him down into this category. However, I chalk it up as just a single bad game. His numbers have been excellent lately so I'll give him a pass as he's been consistently above a .920 sv % for the last several games.

Also bad, some of the posters calling for Miller's head in the GDT, he had a bad game for sure, but he's also part of the reason why the Sabres are in as strong of a position as they are.

Last edited by PuckSim8: 02-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.
PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Zip15

How many two-goal leads have we blown? This is at least #4. Didn't do it once last year. Also, another loss in a game we led after the 2nd period. Weren't we undefeated last season when leading after two?

Round of applause for the Lindy Ruff prevent. Doesn't work with this team, Lindy. Hasn't for 54 games. Better start adjusting.

Old
02-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Also, another loss in a game we led after the 2nd period. Weren't we undefeated last season when leading after two?
I think we were something like 32-0 last season until it actually mattered, when we lost 2 of them in 3 games.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

This one is on lindy

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
MayDay

When was the last time a Sabre had a hat trick in a loss?

I can't recall.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
G:
- Stafford was great, again. Get him resigned now!
- I thought Hecht had a good game.
- Myers had a good game.
- Connolly made some plays.

B:
- Reffing.
- Giving up so many wide open chances. There was a sequence where we gave up like 3 wide open shots in the slot in a manner of 10 seconds. Our defensive zone coverage was downright piss poor.

U:
- Miller needs a rest. Badly.
I'm not sure if thats the case. I think he just played like crap today nothing more. He recently had a 10 game break. Upon returning to action he played in back to back games, then had two days off then played in 3 games in 6 days. He had 2 days off before this game. Hardly a heavy work load.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

sabres pot 6 goals and vanek was curiously absent from the score sheet. was roy back?

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
This one is on lindy
How about all the success prior to this loss?

Does Lindy get credit for that?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HogtownSabresfan

Mr. Softie let in seven goals. What's amazing about this team's play it has been done with a very average Miller and no Roy.
Please everybody. Jump in now with the excuses for Ryan. He's playing too much but it shouldn't be a factor yet because he just had a nine-day break or something like that.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
How many two-goal leads have we blown? This is at least #4. Didn't do it once last year. Also, another loss in a game we led after the 2nd period. Weren't we undefeated last season when leading after two?

Round of applause for the Lindy Ruff prevent. Doesn't work with this team, Lindy. Hasn't for 54 games. Better start adjusting.
I'm not sure how you could blame this one on the "Lindy Ruff prevent". Of the 3 goals the Isles scored in the 3rd, one was when Gaustad when backwards with a pass when he had an easy chip clear (which would be the "prevent" move) and then 2 were scored on a sequence of power plays that started with an offensive zone penalty.

Add in a struggling goaltender...and you lose despite scoring 6 goals.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
PuckSim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
sabres pot 6 goals and vanek was curiously absent from the score sheet. was roy back?
Vanek missed a couple great opportunities as well, I thought he was a tad off his game tonight though. Seemed to be trying to play playmaker a bit too much when he could have just taken the shot.

PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How about all the success prior to this loss?

Does Lindy get credit for that?
"Ryan miller needs a rest badly"

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:23 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Hecht was terrible, stupid penalty over-all horrible game again. He is useless.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
I'm not sure how you could blame this one on the "Lindy Ruff prevent". Of the 3 goals the Isles scored in the 3rd, one was when Gaustad when backwards with a pass when he had an easy chip clear (which would be the "prevent" move) and then 2 were scored on a sequence of power plays that started with an offensive zone penalty.

Add in a struggling goaltender...and you lose despite scoring 6 goals.
It is partly to blame because they could've put their foot on the Isles' throats after Gerbe's goal. Instead, they let the Isles put the ice on tilt and only put one shot on Montoya--who looked extremely shaky in there--for the last 15 1/2 minutes of the 2nd period. Then, not surprisingly, once the Isles tied it at 4, the Sabres started skating hard again.

The best teams in the league would've kept forechecking the tar out of the Isles and buried them there in the 2nd. We go passive, Miller gives up a softie to make it 4-3, and the rest is history.

I've complained about the Ruff Prevent all season. He still hasn't realized this isn't last year's team. We don't have Tallinder and Lydman anymore. We don't have Vezina Miller right now. It doesn't work. Look at the blown two-goal leads and 3rd period leads.

I'm not saying it's the only we reason we lost. Miller was bad. Gaustad on NYI's fourth goal was atrocious. Sekera on the winner was laughable. But pretty much giving away 15 minutes in 2nd period against an AHL goalie was a mistake. They let the Islanders off the ropes and it cost them a point.

Old
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not sure if thats the case. I think he just played like crap today nothing more. He recently had a 10 game break. Upon returning to action he played in back to back games, then had two days off then played in 3 games in 6 days. He had 2 days off before this game. Hardly a heavy work load.
He really just hasn't been good this year, for the most part. He still does need a break, though. Let Patty Lala get a game in. It can't hurt. Hopefully if we make it into the playoffs Miller steps up and plays like "Olympic Miller."

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:48 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
He really just hasn't been good this year, for the most part. He still does need a break, though. Let Patty Lala get a game in. It can't hurt. Hopefully if we make it into the playoffs Miller steps up and plays like "Olympic Miller."
Lalime can't be worst that Miller Sunday but most days he would. Bring up Enroth. It's time.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote