HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/13/11 vs NYI

Old
02-13-2011, 06:50 PM
aceface33

vCash: 500
Apparently miller got into a confrontation with vogl and Sullivan postgame when miller refused to answer a question about his health- " how he was feeling." Hamilton talking about it on wgr.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
joshjull

It hasn't helped Miller that they've opened things up since Roy went down.

We are playing a more aggressive offensive style and its led to some gaps in our defensive play. We have given up 30+ shots in 13 of the last 19 games, in 5 of those games 35+shots (40 x2, 39, 36 and 37). Many games opposing players are getting glorious scoring chances.

Lindy is playing to the strengths of the current lineup and tight defensive play isn't one of them. So they now rely on Miller to bail them out more than last year. Today was the first time he has fallen on his face this badly but on the whole he has handle this challenge. Playing this way isn't going to lead to the greatest stats for Miller but its certainly led to more wins for the team. In the end thats all that matters.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

U

Atlanta just tied Carolina in the 3rd.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I've complained about the Ruff Prevent all season. He still hasn't realized this isn't last year's team. We don't have Tallinder and Lydman anymore. We don't have Vezina Miller right now. It doesn't work. Look at the blown two-goal leads and 3rd period leads.
Psh, I've been complaining about it for 10 years. The only times it worked were last year and to some extent when we had Hasek.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:57 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Psh, I've been complaining about it for 10 years. The only times it worked were last year and to some extent when we had Hasek.
Also, the phenomenon that teams that are trailing tend to carry the play is hardly limited to the Sabres. It's a tendency for young teams (which this one is in the forward core now) to take their foot off of the gas with big-ish (2 goal) leads, and for the team that's behind to come out with more determination and desperation.

It doesn't mean that the coach is telling them to stay in a shell - heck in 06-07 the Sabres were the best team in the league at protecting 2 goal leads, and they did it exactly by keeping their foot on the throats of the opposition. What's the difference between this team and that one? Hint: it's not a different head coach.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:58 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
U

Atlanta just tied Carolina in the 3rd.
That's ugly?

I thought we want Atlanta to win in regulation?

That's what sportsclubstats says is the best-case-scenario for us.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:59 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
That's ugly?

I think the fact that it was tied up is ugly.

One team or the other winning in regulation is a better situation than a 3 point game no matter who wins.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Also, the phenomenon that teams that are trailing tend to carry the play is hardly limited to the Sabres. It's a tendency for young teams (which this one is in the forward core now) to take their foot off of the gas with big-ish (2 goal) leads, and for the team that's behind to come out with more determination and desperation.

It doesn't mean that the coach is telling them to stay in a shell - heck in 06-07 the Sabres were the best team in the league at protecting 2 goal leads, and they did it exactly by keeping their foot on the throats of the opposition. What's the difference between this team and that one? Hint: it's not a different head coach.
Well, the coach at least has to take some blame when it happens constantly, even if he's not telling them to go into a defensive shell. I tend to be of the opinion that the best way to protect a lead is a strong but responsible forecheck.

Old
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
That's ugly?

I'd take either team winning in regulation. We don't need another 3-point game.

Old
BCS

Quote:
That's ugly?

Tie game in the third = good chance of OT = worst-case scenario.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Well, the coach at least has to take some blame when it happens constantly, even if he's not telling them to go into a defensive shell. I tend to be of the opinion that the best way to protect a lead is a strong but responsible forecheck.
It's easy to say, but tougher to do. The "doing" part falls entirely on the players. I've been on both sides of the issue myself playing. Generally it's a lower-tier team coming back to tie a higher-tier team that just gets a bit complacent, which looks like what happened tonight.

There's also a very fine line between "responsible" and "passive". The Sabres system encourages their defensemen to pinch. A bad pinch results in an odd man rush the other way, which is precisely what you don't want to have happen with a lead in the 3rd. Especially not when your goaltender is struggling.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
aceface33

So now that I'm not on my phone- according to Paul Hamilton (paraphrasing from what he said), John Vogl asked Miller if he was feeling ok, Miller refused to answer. Vogl pressed him, Miller said "I'm not answering," Vogl said it's his job to ask questions, Miller says that all Vogl does is write his story during the second period and paste in the quotes later. Then Jerry Sullivan comes over and says that if you want to be critical of how a guy does his job maybe Miller should stop letting in 4 goals every game. At that point Miller was ushered out. I hope we get audio of this.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
So now that I'm not on my phone- according to Paul Hamilton (paraphrasing from what he said), John Vogl asked Miller if he was feeling ok, Miller refused to answer. Vogl pressed him, Miller said "I'm not answering," Vogl said it's his job to ask questions, Miller says that all Vogl does is write his story during the second period and paste in the quotes later. Then Jerry Sullivan comes over and says that if you want to be critical of how a guy does his job maybe Miller should stop letting in 4 goals every game. At that point Miller was ushered out. I hope we get audio of this.
Wow, that's rich.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:18 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Yeah sounds great. Miller has been very average. He's got a million excuses. Miller can't even get this right. You're supposed to grab Sullivan and rip his shirt.
Anybody think marriage/girlfriend is having an impact?

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Huh. I'll file this under good. I checked the league leaders and the Sabres have two guys in the top 20 for goals. Stafford is t-17th and Vanek is t-20th.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:22 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Wow. Sullivan's a *********. Miller doesn't HAVE to answer a question if he doesn't want to - it has nothing to do with criticizing how Vogl is doing his job.

Then Sullivan comes in with a potshot. Classy.

Old
02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Yeah sounds great. Miller has been very average. He's got a million excuses. Miller can't even get this right. You're supposed to grab Sullivan and rip his shirt.
Anybody think marriage/girlfriend is having an impact?
Yeah, it's all about the girlfriend. It has nothing to do with his coach never giving him a game off.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Afino
The Juice

And you wonder why Golisano ****ing hated the TBN guys? Wow.

I'm starting to think it's a disease over there. (TBN)

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The Good -

- Stafford with some good touch
- Grabner scoring goal scorers goals
- Myers I thought looked confident with the puck and stronger without it

The Bad -

- Hey Lindy... if you started your backup and he publically ***** himself and gives up 7 games in an OT loss, we would be talking about the guy was rusty and/or technically questionable. Instead... instead the game to start LOLlame turns out to be a major suck-fest for your starter and there is no break in sight.
- Sekera on the GWG. Apparently the way to beat Rej is to come straight at him while he's got the puck. That's his third gaff like that in the last half-dozen games... albeit, this one turned into a straight, short breakaway and a loss.
- Hey ref. You suck. Kaleta's penalty? That was a bodycheck. McCormick's elbow? What the hell. Ennis? The weaksauce call on Hecht immediately after an Islander had done the same to Pominville not more than 20 seconds before? I hope your Pro Line ticket paid out enough to cover a dozen wings and that someone leaves something special in the bleu cheese dressing just for you.
- Chris Butler. Where have you gone, Chris Butler? The Isles broke into his house, ate his lunch and **** in his kitchen more than once today.
- The continued passenger status of far too many guys is just astonding. Especially the so-called vets. Grier had some PKing moments, but that Nieds-Gaustad-Grier line was a non-factor.
- Hello, powerplay, shoot-in retrieval called and said he won't be back until you do the work.

The Ugly

- Miller was terrible. Three of those were soft as goose down. A fourth was iffy. And if you did go after the press guys after the game, you're a fool.
- Blowing a 2-goal lead in a must-win type situation

02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Wow. Sullivan's a *********. Miller doesn't HAVE to answer a question if he doesn't want to - it has nothing to do with criticizing how Vogl is doing his job.

Then Sullivan comes in with a potshot. Classy.
The guy gets paid for essentially being a professional troll. You've gotta love it.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Carolina wins it late in regulation, so at least it was a 2 point game.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:33 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
And you wonder why Golisano ****ing hated the TBN guys? Wow.

I'm starting to think it's a disease over there. (TBN)
Vogl is a good guy and writes good stuff. Sully on the other hand is an asshat.

Miller played like crap and was pissed. Vogl did nothing wrong but I understand why Miller responded as he did (not that he should have done it that way).

Then Sully comes in with his usual childish potshot.

Last edited by joshjull: 02-13-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
TBN is, has been, and probably will be a fishrag until it dies. Professional journalism is dead in Buffalo.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:48 PM
NativityPlayground*

Good

Stafford

Bad/Ugly

Miller

PP not being able to end it with around a buck 30 left in regulation !

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:52 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Good

Stafford

Bad/Ugly

Miller

PP not being able to end it with around a buck 30 left in regulation !
Special teams were not good today.

0-3 on PP and gave up 2 PP goals.