HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/13/11 vs NYI

Old
02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
NativityPlayground*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
So now that I'm not on my phone- according to Paul Hamilton (paraphrasing from what he said), John Vogl asked Miller if he was feeling ok, Miller refused to answer. Vogl pressed him, Miller said "I'm not answering," Vogl said it's his job to ask questions, Miller says that all Vogl does is write his story during the second period and paste in the quotes later. Then Jerry Sullivan comes over and says that if you want to be critical of how a guy does his job maybe Miller should stop letting in 4 goals every game. At that point Miller was ushered out. I hope we get audio of this.
Sully spoke truth ...

To bad Miller is to much of a pansy to even give an answer to someone that is doing their job better than Miller is in all reality ...

4 goals a game that is outstanding on the part of Sully..outstanding I tell ya' !

Spoken for truth by Sully..only other people that speak truth and tell it the way it is can appreciate his journalism .

People that hide in a corner picking their noses in mommys basement will never understand him !

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to misterchainsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Sully spoke truth ...

To bad Miller is to much of a pansy to even give an answer to someone that is doing their job better than Miller is in all reality ...

4 goals a game that is outstanding on the part of Sully..outstanding I tell ya' !

Spoken for truth by Sully..only other people that speak truth and tell it the way it is can appreciate his journalism .

People that hide in a corner picking their noses in mommys basement will never understand him !
You have a funny definition of "truth".

Miller's GAA is below 3.

misterchainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:55 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Sully spoke truth ...

Except its not the truth

I the last 10 games Miller has given up 4 or more goals 2x and has allowed only 2 goals or less 6x.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:22 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Except its not the truth

I the last 10 games Miller has given up 4 or more goals 2x and has allowed only 2 goals or less 6x.
Want to handle some truth? Try this:

SV% .909 (26th in the league)

GAA 2.78 (31st in the league)

Unacceptable for a "world class, elite, franchise" goalie.

This is what Sully was getting at.

My opinion; It's not all Millers fault although he needs a big share of the blame.

Though, we desperately need a 2-way center and an upgraded defense.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
Want to handle some truth? Try this:

SV% .909 (26th in the league)

GAA 2.78 (31st in the league)

Unacceptable for a "world class, elite, franchise" goalie.

This is what Sully was getting at.

My opinion; It's not all Millers fault although he needs a big share of the blame.

Though, we desperately need a 2-way center and an upgraded defense.
Couple of things

1. Miller sucked bad today
2. I agree Miller hasn't been at the same level as he was last year.
3. Miller's gaa is below three so he obviously doesn't give up 4 goals a game.
4. Jerry Sullivan knows next to nothing about hockey and basically threw a childish insult at Miller.

If you noticed Vogl, a true professional, didn't act out in a childish manner like Sully did. Thats because he is an informed and intelligent reporter unlike Sully.

I'm not defending Miller's play or whether he is living up to his cotnract. I'm commenting on Sullivan's complete lack of professionalism and general ignorance of the sport. Vogl being the contrast to that.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Couple of things

1. Miller sucked bad today
2. I agree Miller hasn't been at the same level as he was last year.
3. Miller's gaa is below three so he obviously doesn't give up 4 goals a game.
4. Jerry Sullivan knows next to nothing about hockey and basically threw a childish insult at Miller.

If you noticed Vogl, a true professional, didn't act out in a childish manner like Sully did. Thats becasue he is an informed and intelligent reporter unlike Sully.

I'm not defending Miller's play or whether he is living up to his cotnract. I'm commenting on Sullivan's complete lack of professionalism and general ignorance of the sport. Vogl being the contrast to that.
Agreed on pretty much all accounts here.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:43 PM
BrooklynBuffaloFan

Do we have any tape of this "confrontation"?

If Miller said to Vogl what's represented here, I think Sully is well within his rights to say what he did to Miller. He insulted Vogl's work for no reason.

BrooklynBuffaloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:50 PM
oldgoalie
hopeful oldtimer

I didn't see the game, so I can't comment on Miller's suckfest today. A while back I posted (jokingly) that Miller's girlfriend was causing his play to fall off... but I think it's more about being overplayed and playing hurt. He's still a twig (what, 155- 160?) , and he needs a ****ing break.

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
I didn't see the game, so I can't comment on Miller's suckfest today. A while back I posted (jokingly) that Miller's girlfriend was causing his play to fall off... but I think it's more about being overplayed and playing hurt. He's still a twig (what, 155- 160?) , and he needs a ****ing break.
Agreed. All of what is going on with him are things we've seen before after he's been worn out by constant play -- down early, not quick on his recoveries as he is when he's fresh, focus is off. Bakes has commented that he thinks Miller is still nursing a sore hip and watching how he's pushing off, it seems like there is something off again.

02-13-2011, 07:55 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBuffaloFan View Post
Do we have any tape of this "confrontation"?

If Miller said to Vogl what's represented here, I think Sully is well within his rights to say what he did to Miller. He insulted Vogl's work for no reason.
Here you go. Pretty interesting stuff to say the least.

http://m2.wnymedia.net/files/2011/02...l-02-13-11.mp3

http://www.weck1230.com/2011/02/ryan...tly-john-vogl/

Quote:
After a 7-6 OT loss to the NY Islanders today, Ryan Miller, understandably, wasn’t in a great mood. He sat at his locker looking displeased. Nobody in the media spoke with him right away. I can only speak for myself but I think others were probably thinking, as I was, that he’d be there for awhile and it was probably best to let him cool down before sticking a bunch of microphones in his face. After a little while (nearly 10 minutes?), he left, presumably to shower. Lindy Ruff’s news conference took place down the hall at that time, so the media cleared out and headed there. After this, it was back to the locker room in search of Miller. One of the Sabres’ staff members asked “are you guys looking for Ryan?” and then went to get him from “backstage.” Miller speaks after every game so it was no surprise that he came back out. He didn’t look thrilled about it though and this became apparent when he didn’t take kindly to John Vogl’s seemingly innocuous question “do you feel OK?” Here’s the audio of the group interview. Miller vs John Vogl 02-13-11 (Note: Below, I will now be paraphrasing what I heard. Nothing I write here should be considered a direct quote. I will, however, attempt to represent everyone’s words fairly.) Things got more heated after the recorders were off and Miller had walked away toward the “backstage” portion of the locker room. Miller accused Vogl of writing his stories in the second period and then just filling in the quotes after the game. Vogl didn’t really engage in any sort of confrontation and seemed to be somewhat puzzled by Miller’s reaction. I’m a little shaky on the order of events right here but, at some point, Sullivan called Miller “thin skinned.” Miller pointed out that he had just lost a 7-6 game in OT and was frustrated and that he’d probably feel differently about things tomorrow. Referring back to the recorded portion of things, Miller said something to Jerry Sullivan along the lines of “why don’t you let (Vogl) speak for himself? Why are you even here? You hardly ever show your face around here.” Sullivan retorted with “I’m sorry. I wasn’t here to talk about it with you after any of the other 14 games this season in which you’ve allowed 4 goals or more.” (If 14 is the wrong number, that’s my error, not Sullivan’s. I don’t have the stat in front of me.) There were 2 F bombs dropped… one by Miller, one by Sullivan. I only note this because, as I was exiting the room I noticed/remembered the tour group of maybe a dozen little kids in the room to witness all of it.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agreed. All of what is going on with him are things we've seen before after he's been worn out by constant play -- down early, not quick on his recoveries as he is when he's fresh, focus is off. Bakes has commented that he thinks Miller is still nursing a sore hip and watching how he's pushing off, it seems like there is something off again.
The unfortunate part is that as long as the Sabres are either hunting for a playoff spot or trying to keep theirs secure, he's not getting a break. He might get a game off, but Ruff is going to ride Miller until the end of the season and/or until they're locked in or out of the playoffs. It's unfortunate because assuming the Sabres make the playoffs, Miller's going to be burned.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
Agreed. I think the target number for Miller should be 60ish. Even Vancouver and the Rangers have finally figured out that Luongo and Lundqvist are not machines. This year, Luongo is on pace for 61 starts, and Lundqvist is on pace for 60 starts. In the past, when healthy, Luongo was pretty much a lock for 70 starts, and Lundqvist averaged 71 starts over the last two seasons. And both Luongo and Lundqvist are horses in terms of size. Miller is far more slight, and needs more rest.

Those organizations made the decision to give their guys more rest, either by promoting a player from within (Schneider in Vancouver) or getting a quality backup (Biron). Buffalo should follow suit. I'd like to see them promote Enroth next seasons, and sign a veteran guy for Portland (Mike Brodeur, Joey MacDonald).

Last edited by Zip15: 02-13-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
That confirms that Sully was just being an ass. I don't blame Miller for being annoyed after a game like that, so there's no reason to push it. Good on him for this quote:

Quote:
Why don’t you let (Vogl) speak for himself? Why are you even here? You hardly ever show your face around here.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
BrooklynBuffaloFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Thank you. I thought it was more of a back-and-forth with Vogl, Sully and Miller all talking at the same time.

I still think Miller was out of line to insult Vogl's work in that way. Sully didn't have to goad him though, that was unnecessary as well and pretty *******.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Zip15

With few exceptions, when Sully is writing an article about the Sabres, it's not usually a positive one. The guy is a curmudgeon and hates when anyone challenges him or the media--look no further than his chats for that fact. Sully interjected in a conversation that didn't concern him, frankly, and Miller probably let out some feelings for Sullivan that had laid latent for awhile.

Knowing what kind of guy Miller is, I wouldn't be shocked if he pulls Sullivan aside and apologizes to him this week. The key will be whether Sullivan reciprocates. I'll ask him in his chat next week. If he says that he wants to keep the conversation private, it likely means he apologized, too--he's like the Fonz, and won't admit he said sorry.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:26 PM
BrooklynBuffaloFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
With few exceptions, when Sully is writing an article about the Sabres, it's not usually a positive one. The guy is a curmudgeon and hates when anyone challenges him or the media--look no further than his chats for that fact. Sully interjected in a conversation that didn't concern him, frankly, and Miller probably let out some feelings for Sullivan that had laid latent for awhile.

Knowing what kind of guy Miller is, I wouldn't be shocked if he pulls Sullivan aside and apologizes to him this week. The key will be whether Sullivan reciprocates. I'll ask him in his chat next week. If he says that he wants to keep the conversation private, it likely means he apologized, too--he's like the Fonz, and won't admit he said sorry.
I don't think he has to apologize to Sully, but he should to Vogl.

I'm a reporter myself and it's likely the reason Vogl was "somewhat puzzled" by Miller's reaction (in Riter's words) is that he asked an innocuous question that wasn't insulting, nor did it force Miller to say anything negative about anyone.

If Vogl wanted to get Miller's goat, he would've asked something more leading and pointed (the kind of **** Gleason did at the Golisano PC). Miller flipped and insulted his work for no reason when Vogl definitely could've done the same to him and didn't. He was out of line and Sully just derped his way into making it worse.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Thank you. I thought it was more of a back-and-forth with Vogl, Sully and Miller all talking at the same time.

I still think Miller was out of line to insult Vogl's work in that way. Sully didn't have to goad him though, that was unnecessary as well and pretty *******.
Out of line? Maybe. Accurate? To a great extent, yeah. Look at the Sabres Edge live blogs. Harrington and Vogl are incessantly bemoaning deadlines, and often boast about having their game stories done early in the 3rd periods of some games so that they can go out and have some "pops" after the games with their colleagues. In those cases, that's what happens: the game story is done well before the game ends, and the quotes are plugged in.

More than anything, what I think this further demonstrates is the growing rift between the Sabres organization and TBN. We knew there was some disdain between ownership and TBN--see Golisano's no-comment policy and exit presser--but I think it's pretty evident that the players don't think they're getting a fair shake from some of those guys. I think it really started last year during locker cleanout day, where Connolly and Roy were being attacked pretty vigorously. [1] I think Gleason and Sullivan are both personae non grata around the locker room.

[1] I'm not here to debate whether it was justifiable or not.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
can only speak for myself but I think others were probably thinking, as I was, that he’d be there for awhile and it was probably best to let him cool down before sticking a bunch of microphones in his face
Quote:
Miller pointed out that he had just lost a 7-6 game in OT and was frustrated and that he’d probably feel differently about things tomorrow.
So why didn't Miller just say that? "Guys, I'm not trying to avoid the question, I'm just frustrated and upset. I know you've got a story to write, but I'd rather go cool down and deal with it tomorrow instead of saying something I might regret or I don't truly mean."

I'm not saying that Miller was wrong or anything with any of his actions. Sully's a dick.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:30 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Eh... Miller answered Vogl's initial question of "Are you ok?" with "I feel fine." Vogl asked again and Miller responded the same. Vogl kept pushing it and that's when Miller got a little annoyed and asked "what are you implying?"

Listen to this: http://m2.wnymedia.net/files/2011/02...l-02-13-11.mp3

I don't think Miller was out of line at all. He went out and talked.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:34 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
So why didn't Miller just say that? "Guys, I'm not trying to avoid the question, I'm just frustrated and upset. I know you've got a story to write, but I'd rather go cool down and deal with it tomorrow instead of saying something I might regret or I don't truly mean."

I'm not saying that Miller was wrong or anything with any of his actions. Sully's a dick.
Because he was....umm...pissed off and not in the best of moods? It's pretty obvious why he had a short fuse....

Hearing Vogl pushed it the way he did prior to the confrontation makes me completely understand Miller's side of it.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Zip15

Quote:
I don't think he has to apologize to Sully, but he should to Vogl.
I do think he'll apologize to Vogl, too. My omission of Vogl above wasn't meant to suggest Miller won't apologize to him, too.

Quote:
I'm a reporter myself and it's likely the reason Vogl was "somewhat puzzled" by Miller's reaction (in Riter's words) is that he asked an innocuous question that wasn't insulting, nor did it force Miller to say anything negative about anyone.
But what you and I don't know is what Miller inferred from that question. Based on Miller's statement to Vogl, did Miller, who was already in a pissy mood after a poor performance, believe that the answer he provided to Vogl didn't much matter because the story was already written and Vogl was going to ask the questions in different ways until he got the quote he wanted? Nor do we know how often Miller's been asked the Rest Question over the past month. I could go on and on. I'm not asserting Miller was justified in his reaction to Vogs. But, to an extent, I can see how it would happen.

That's not to say Vogl's question was unfair. It was a fair question. But we don't know why Miller reacted the way he did. But I bet you dollars to doughnuts that we don't see Vogl and Harrington talking deadlines and finishing game stories early in their running blog anymore. It's been noticed by those in the locker room.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I do think he'll apologize to Vogl, too. My omission of Vogl above wasn't meant to suggest Miller won't apologize to him, too.

But what you and I don't know is what Miller inferred from that question. Based on Miller's statement to Vogl, did Miller, who was already in a pissy mood after a poor performance, believe that the answer he provided to Vogl didn't much matter because the story was already written and Vogl was going to ask the questions in different ways until he got the quote he wanted? Nor do we know how often Miller's been asked the Rest Question over the past month. I could go on and on. I'm not asserting Miller was justified in his reaction to Vogs. But, to an extent, I can see how it would happen.

That's not to say Vogl's question was unfair. It was a fair question. But we don't know why Miller reacted the way he did. But I bet you dollars to doughnuts that we don't see Vogl and Harrington talking deadlines and finishing game stories early in their running blog anymore. It's been noticed by those in the locker room.
Do you know anything about writing for the Internet and sports? You have to have some sort of story written to be updated so you can straight to web to satisfy people like you and me.
You have to be prepared to change the story but you can't just crank out 500 words in five minutes. Not possible. That's why parts of story are prepared in advance.
Miller was rude in the interview. He didn't like the question. He sort of half-swore. I'm sure Vogl can take it. He's a big boy.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Because he was....umm...pissed off and not in the best of moods? It's pretty obvious why he had a short fuse....

Hearing Vogl pushed it the way he did prior to the confrontation makes me completely understand Miller's side of it.
I'm on Miller's side here, J.

I didn't realize that Vogl kept pushing it as much as he did.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
misterchainsaw
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Do you know anything about writing for the Internet and sports? You have to have some sort of story written to be updated so you can straight to web to satisfy people like you and me.
You have to be prepared to change the story but you can't just crank out 500 words in five minutes. Not possible. That's why parts of story are prepared in advance.
Miller was rude in the interview. He didn't like the question. He sort of half-swore. I'm sure Vogl can take it. He's a big boy.
That's why the "outline" is usually FACTS about the game. This goal was scored here, that goal was scored there. Those would have been published WELL before Miller came out of the shower. That's not what Sabres players are accusing TBN of doing.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
BrooklynBuffaloFan

Quote:

Quote:
Out of line? Maybe. Accurate? To a great extent, yeah. Look at the Sabres Edge live blogs. Harrington and Vogl are incessantly bemoaning deadlines, and often boast about having their game stories done early in the 3rd periods of some games so that they can go out and have some "pops" after the games with their colleagues. In those cases, that's what happens: the game story is done well before the game ends, and the quotes are plugged in.

More than anything, what I think this further demonstrates is the growing rift between the Sabres organization and TBN. We knew there was some disdain between ownership and TBN--see Golisano's no-comment policy and exit presser--but I think it's pretty evident that the players don't think they're getting a fair shake from some of those guys. I think it really started last year during locker cleanout day, where Connolly and Roy were being attacked pretty vigorously. [1] I think Gleason and Sullivan are both personae non grata around the locker room.

[1] I'm not here to debate whether it was justifiable or not.
I went through all the Sabres Edge blogs going back to the first of the year and found a couple references to deadlines, but it's by no means "incessant." Yes, Vogl did make a reference during a Phoenix game to wanting a quick game so he could meet some transplant friends for drinks. But the game was on the west coast, which increases deadline pressure due to the time change; and he's talking about writing a mid-season hockey game recap, not poring over Wikileaks. Writing during the game and getting as much of your story done as you can is just good practice it's called being proactive.

It's funny, people want answers from people in sports who don't give answers, journalists stick their necks out to try and get something from them and they're the ones criticized.

Now as a reporter, I was embarrassed by Gleason's conduct at the Golisano PC. I thought he could've asked the questions he wanted to ask differently and either gotten better answers or not himself become the story. But the press should be allowed to ask what they want about the games, players, on-ice results, etc. If Vogl had asked Miller "fiance keeping you up or something?" that would've warranted the reaction. But he didn't.