HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2/13/11 vs NYI

Old
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
I'm on Miller's side here, J.

I didn't realize that Vogl kept pushing it as much as he did.
I just can't imagine how hard it would possibly be to do what you suggested, being someone who has a very short fuse when it comes to athletics...that's all.

Wasn't saying you were taking Sullivan's side or anything .

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Do you know anything about writing for the Internet and sports? You have to have some sort of story written to be updated so you can straight to web to satisfy people like you and me.
You have to be prepared to change the story but you can't just crank out 500 words in five minutes. Not possible. That's why parts of story are prepared in advance.
Miller was rude in the interview. He didn't like the question. He sort of half-swore. I'm sure Vogl can take it. He's a big boy.
Of course I understand the writers' predicaments, and I'm not unsympathetic. But you're indirectly making Miller's point--the story is already written, and, thus, Miller's quote is going to have to fit the story; so, essentially, there's one answer to the question (a leading question). Miller kept giving Vogs the same answer. Vogs kept asking the question, which suggested to Miller there was a) an ulterior motive to the question, and b) Vogs was likely looking for a particular answer.

I'm not saying Miller wasn't being sore or rude, but, at the same time, the writer has to realize when he's not going to get the answer out of the answerer and move on.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:50 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBuffaloFan View Post
I went through all the Sabres Edge blogs going back to the first of the year and found a couple references to deadlines, but it's by no means "incessant." Yes, Vogl did make a reference during a Phoenix game to wanting a quick game so he could meet some transplant friends for drinks. But the game was on the west coast, which increases deadline pressure due to the time change; and he's talking about writing a mid-season hockey game recap, not poring over Wikileaks. Writing during the game and getting as much of your story done as you can is just good practice it's called being proactive.

It's funny, people want answers from people in sports who don't give answers, journalists stick their necks out to try and get something from them and they're the ones criticized.

Now as a reporter, I was embarrassed by Gleason's conduct at the Golisano PC. I thought he could've asked the questions he wanted to ask differently and either gotten better answers or not himself become the story. But the press should be allowed to ask what they want about the games, players, on-ice results, etc. If Vogl had asked Miller "fiance keeping you up or something?" that would've warranted the reaction. But he didn't.
I think it's pretty obvious from the way he continued to ask the question that he was fishing for a quote to fit his pre-conceived game story.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
aceface33

I did think Miller went a little overboard on that question right from the beginning, he kept saying "John, why are you asking that question?" and Vogl defended himself. I didn't think Vogl was being particularly pushy. I think it's just Miller being pissed about the game plus the fact he thinks that Vogl is trying to get him to say that he's tired and/or overworked which goes back to the old pro athlete pride thing about never wanting to show weakness or be challenged about their ability to play.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I did think Miller went a little overboard on that question right from the beginning, he kept saying "John, why are you asking that question?" and Vogl defended himself. I didn't think Vogl was being particularly pushy. I think it's just Miller being pissed about the game plus the fact he thinks that Vogl is trying to get him to say that he's tired and/or overworked which goes back to the old pro athlete pride thing about never wanting to show weakness or be challenged about their ability to play.
"do you feel ok?"
"i feel fine john"
"on the ice do you feel alright?"
"john i feel fine. i dont even know why you're going down that lane. do you feel fine? what does that mean?"
"did you feel--"
"what are you implying?"
"were you a little off--"
"no, give me a break. they scored goals... very nice."

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
So why didn't Miller just say that? "Guys, I'm not trying to avoid the question, I'm just frustrated and upset. I know you've got a story to write, but I'd rather go cool down and deal with it tomorrow instead of saying something I might regret or I don't truly mean."

I'm not saying that Miller was wrong or anything with any of his actions. Sully's a dick.
I counted Miller saying "I'm just frustrated right now" 4 times. What kind of question is that, anyways? That's like something your wife would ask you...not a reporter. And then, after john realizes Miller really doesn't want to talk about this topic, he asks him, 'Then how do you feel on the ice'.

Ok...so this guy is either a complete idiot who can't take the hint, or he's just being a jack ass. You guys are right, tho, as a reporter it's in his job description to get the story, even if it means being a complete *********.

I have no problems with the way Miller reacted...It's the reporters job to get the story, but it's Miller's right to take it and give it how he wants(no homo). And I'm sure the reporter can handle it; it's part of his job.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
How many two-goal leads have we blown? This is at least #4. Didn't do it once last year. Also, another loss in a game we led after the 2nd period. Weren't we undefeated last season when leading after two?

Round of applause for the Lindy Ruff prevent. Doesn't work with this team, Lindy. Hasn't for 54 games. Better start adjusting.
Frankly, I don't think this team is good enough to protect a lead. I think Lindy has realized this and has started to open up the offense again.

Second game since the all star break that we've blown a 2 goal second period lead. Responded better than the Pittsburgh debacle, but still. Give the Islanders some credit though, they've scored 16 goals in the last 2 games.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It hasn't helped Miller that they've opened things up since Roy went down.

We are playing a more aggressive offensive style and its led to some gaps in our defensive play. We have given up 30+ shots in 13 of the last 19 games, in 5 of those games 35+shots (40 x2, 39, 36 and 37). Many games opposing players are getting glorious scoring chances.

Lindy is playing to the strengths of the current lineup and tight defensive play isn't one of them. So they now rely on Miller to bail them out more than last year. Today was the first time he has fallen on his face this badly but on the whole he has handle this challenge. Playing this way isn't going to lead to the greatest stats for Miller but its certainly led to more wins for the team. In the end thats all that matters.
This. Fun to watch too.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Takeo

Miller is coming off the all-star break; he's not tired. Just mentally soft.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Zip15

Finally listened to the clip. Sounds like Miller thought it was a stupid question--i.e., hey, were you OK out there, because you looked really bad--and/or Vogl was hinting at something. It obviously upset him enough that he continued referencing the question when Vogl seemingly moved on.

Not sure what happened with Sullivan, but being the blowhard that he is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he exacerbated a bad situation by making the comment that he did.

Old
02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
Quote:
Miller must play against Toronto. Must. You cannot put that career record vs Toronto on the bench. It's almost an automatic two points. Sit Miller against Montreal or St. Louis on Friday, but not Toronto.
Sitting Miller against St. Louis makes way more sense. We have zero chance of beating Montreal with Lalime in net. Every point matters for us right now...can't sit your star goalie for the games you foresee as real battles.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Erm, not sure what to say about this game, some random remarks:

- Miller was awful. Nothing against him in general, he's the reigning Vezina winner after all, but that was as bad a game as I've seen him play
- Myers looks better and better
- Sekera's had some fantastic defensive plays... Until he s**t the bed on the GWer... and that's something that's happened a couple of times lately, he needs to fix that ASAP
- Stafford's is in true beast-mode, I'm becoming a believer once again
- top-6 played a good game all around, as far as offense goes
- defensive play was ridiculously bad... by nearly everyone
- I don't understand why a team like Florida would waive Grabner... can't remember anyone having that kind of explosive burst of speed since Pavel Bure

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:34 AM
FredfromAustria

Good:
an austrian player had a hattie

Bad:
his name is not T. Vanek

Ugly:
its against the sabres

FredfromAustria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:22 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Of course I understand the writers' predicaments, and I'm not unsympathetic. But you're indirectly making Miller's point--the story is already written, and, thus, Miller's quote is going to have to fit the story; so, essentially, there's one answer to the question (a leading question). Miller kept giving Vogs the same answer. Vogs kept asking the question, which suggested to Miller there was a) an ulterior motive to the question, and b) Vogs was likely looking for a particular answer.

I'm not saying Miller wasn't being sore or rude, but, at the same time, the writer has to realize when he's not going to get the answer out of the answerer and move on.
He wanted to do an angle from Miller costing the game. I'm not sure why he didn't ask straight out "are you inured in anyway." He could then have written on the record Miller's play had nothing to do injury, the goalie. The goalie added he though he was only too blame for one goal. He wasn't fishing for answer he was gutless asking the question he wanted to know.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:18 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Find it extremely irritating that the longest tenured coach/gm tandem in the 4 major sports can't get on the same page regarding backup goaltenders.

This is asinine.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Afino
The Juice

Sullivan has a predictable rant in TBN today, leaving out facts to promote his story and save his buddy's back.

I realize that's his job, but the fans know the real story, Sully.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:12 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Sullivan has a predictable rant in TBN today, leaving out facts to promote his story and save his buddy's back.

I realize that's his job, but the fans know the real story, Sully.

Ruff took his share of the critisism early in the year and handled it.

Connolly sat at his stall on the verge of tears being questioned about how it felt to be booed by Paul Hamilton and answered the questions.

Miller needs to just answer the damn question and not get in a word war with two Sports writers. It's their job to ask questions, probe and put stories together based on facts!

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Erm, not sure what to say about this game, some random remarks:

- Miller was awful. Nothing against him in general, he's the reigning Vezina winner after all, but that was as bad a game as I've seen him play
- Myers looks better and better
- Sekera's had some fantastic defensive plays... Until he s**t the bed on the GWer... and that's something that's happened a couple of times lately, he needs to fix that ASAP
- Stafford's is in true beast-mode, I'm becoming a believer once again
- top-6 played a good game all around, as far as offense goes
- defensive play was ridiculously bad... by nearly everyone
- I don't understand why a team like Florida would waive Grabner... can't remember anyone having that kind of explosive burst of speed since Pavel Bure
Reread that sentence, and you've answered your own question.

G:
>Scoring 6 goals.
>Grabner has a great shot.
>Stafford. Only Stamkos and Crosby have a higher goals per game % than him this year, among the top 30 goal scorers.
>Isles playing strong after their trouncing and pummeling of the Pens Fri. night.
>$2.50 Leinenkugel (sp?) classic amber pints.

B:
>Giving up 7.
>Sekera. The gamewinner aside, he had a few fumbles carrying the puck through the neutral zone on the PP. A fair share of blame on the PP ineptitude is his.
>Neids on the Isles (6th?) goal, where he threw the puck from the boards at his own blue line right to middle of the ice where the Isle took it in to score. He had a teammate with him on the scrum by the boards. His play needs to be up the boards, if possible, or at least over the blue line. That 1 foot makes a difference.

U:
>Afternoon games. I missed the 1st pd.
>All this media B.S. Football season is over, so they need something to kvetch about. let the Sabres play and record speak for themselves. If they miss the playoffs, call them out. If the Sabres make the playoffs, they'll be writing articles lauding them.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:46 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

The media hate in this thread is ridiculous. If you don't like them, don't pay any attention. No one's forcing you to listen to/read what they say, so they're must be a reason you pay attention to them.

Okay, you got me, I'm a journalism student. Vogl asking Miller the same question different ways isn't wrong by any means. Miller didn't give him an answer. If Miller said, "I don't want to talk about it," or even a simple, "No comment," and Vogl pressed on, then he'd be at fault.

Miller said he felt fine. As a journalism, your job is to ask the questions that your readers aren't in a position to ask themselves. I'd bet 99% of Sabres' fans were wondering what was wrong with Miller after last nights game, and Vogl did his job by trying to find out.

Miller handled it terribly. He's a professional, just like Vogl, and should've handled it as such.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
sabresfan129103

Miller is getting crucified in the paper, by a lot of fans and on the WGR morning show. The loss sucks, I agree, give him the the night off in Montreal and you know he'll come back strong against the Leafs. Doesn't Lalime actually have a really good record against the Habs?

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Zip15

Unfortunately, people in that town lose perspective quickly. The team is 3-1-1 since the ASB. Did they give away a point yesterday? Probably. Did they probably steal a point somewhere in the Florida trip thanks to Tampa's meltdown and Vokoun's softie on Myers' winner? [1] Yeah, probably. Honestly, who wouldn't have taken 3-1-1 out of the gate after the ASB? Probably nobody.

Miller will fix things. His SV% in the 14 games previous to yesterday's was .924. Like a pitcher who gets shelled for 8 runs in 3 innings, it's going to have an effect on his numbers. But it doesn't change that fact that they have a good chance to win each time Miller starts.

[1] Yes, high, glove-side, short-side from the top of the circle while unscreened is a softie for someone of Vokoun's ilk.

Old
02-14-2011, 09:15 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Let's not forget that the players are paid Millions of dollars to handle this scrutiny. It's not like we're asking these questions to the bagger at Wegman's.

They deserve to be pushed for the truth. Suck it up and realize its part of the job you signed up for.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Good:

Staff Connelly and Ennis tic tac toe
Coming back with a goal to tie it in the third

bad:

Butler with a horrible clear that led to them being pinned over and over..lucky they werent scored on there.
Miller rought outing.. nothing more
horrible power play at end of regulation.... Couldnt enter the zone...4 clears by the Isles in 45 seconds...

Ugly:
Miller v. fishwrap... all blown out of proportion. My guess is Miller disgusted with his own performance, knows he had a bad game, Vogl thinks there is a nagging issue such an injury or being tired and Miller, in his pissed off state, loses patience....big deal. Sully in to write the negative story that he does so well.

Last edited by flyingpig: 02-14-2011 at 10:38 AM.
flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
Ruff took his share of the critisism early in the year and handled it.

Connolly sat at his stall on the verge of tears being questioned about how it felt to be booed by Paul Hamilton and answered the questions.

Miller needs to just answer the damn question and not get in a word war with two Sports writers. It's their job to ask questions, probe and put stories together based on facts!
I think Miller's response to Vogl is another indication of being mentally worn out.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:20 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Miller did answer the questions.

And when a Sabres rep said the interview was over, he said no and stayed.

He's not obligated to give the answers people want.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote