HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

we need a backup goaltender

Old
02-13-2011, 07:35 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
we need a backup goaltender

We need to address this issue at the deadline above all else IMO. Fact is, we can't afford an off night from Miller down this last stretch. He needs to be able to take a night off, and he clearly can't with Lalime behind him or it would've happened already.

I hope Pegs has the cajones to authorize the waiving of Lalime

Who can we target? Theo?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
It's too bad Brodeur went down....Hedberg is a guy I'd love the Sabres to target.

They need to target a career backup, who's used to the backup schedule of starting every week or less.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
joshjull

Call me crazy but I would like to see better defensive dmen added before another backup.

This team is not very good in its own end. Defensively its been a big drop off from Tallinder/Lydman to Sekera/Leopold in the top 4.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
My first option: Mikael Tellqvist. He'd cost nothing in the way of assets. He has a .921 SV% in the KHL and he stated before the season that he wanted back into the NHL, though he did not get a job. Lindy seemed to like him in his other stint here. Of course, he would have to clear waivers after we sign him. Though I'm not sure if waiver priority goes by points or win%, if it's the latter it's possible that a team with a garbage backup (Carolina) or that may be trading their starter (Columbus, Florida) could block Buffalo from getting him.

Other options:

-Hedberg. Depends on asking price. Notorious Sabre-killer. But do we give up a 3rd or 4th for a guy who may only be making 3-4 starts down the stretch, and then walking out the door on July 1?

-Conklin. Rumored to be on his way out of St. Louis. He's been terrible this season (.880), but he put together three pretty solid seasons in Pittsburgh, Detroit, and St. Louis, respectively, prior to this year. The concern is that he got a lot more playing time in those places than he would here. Would he be a lot better than Lalime playing once every ten days?

Personally, I try to work in Enroth when you want to use the backup. Save the asset. This is where not having the farm team down the road in Rochester really hurts. Rather than hopping in the car for an hour+ down the Thruway, they have to put him on a plane in what I assume is at least a six-hour endeavor if there are no direct flights to Buffalo from Portland. A bit more of a pain to shuttle a guy back and forth right now.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Endless Ike

it's a joke that this has been an issue for the past 3 years and we still have days like this...

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
"This is the song that never ends...."

02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Call me crazy but I would like to see better defensive dmen added before another backup.
While we definitely need help on D, Miller simply cannot start the rest of the games this season, and Ruff refuses to even play Lalime.

I still want to get Andy Sutton from Anaheim though.

As for the backup, here is a list of goalies that I would want Buffalo to trade for:

Auld
Biron
Hedberg
Mike Smith (not ideal, but he is 10-5 this season and would cost almost nothing)
Garon
Theodore
Anderson (maybe)
LaBarbera
McElhinney

All of those guys, other than Biron, are UFAs at the end of the season.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Hal2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
it's a joke that this has been an issue for the past 3 years and we still have days like this...
this statement should say a lot about how our backup goalie situation has been dealt with since biron left. None of them have been consistent, and I think a lot of blame goes to Ruff for having no confidence in any of them. I really dont know how someone like lalime is expected to go out there tues or wed after not starting a game in God knows how long and is expected to backstop this team to victory with our constant defensive breakdowns.

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
While we definitely need help on D, Miller simply cannot start the rest of the games this season, and Ruff refuses to even play Lalime.

As for the backup, here is a list of goalies that I would want Buffalo to trade for:

Auld
Biron
Hedberg
Mike Smith (not ideal, but he is 10-5 this season and would cost almost nothing)
Garon
Theodore
Anderson (maybe)
LaBarbera
McElhinney

I think those things go hand in hand. Ideally we should address both (defensive dmen and a backup goalie). But thats unlikely.

Few backups will play well enough dealing with the breakdowns we have defensively in order for Ruff to let them play. Its a ****** situation.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:29 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
Especially when the first name that comes up is a guy that we ****ing HAD and then let go...

Edit: one of the first, anyway. I liked Tellqvist's game when he was with the Sabres, I don't understand why the front office let him...oh wait nevermind I just answered my own question.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post

Auld
Biron
Hedberg
Garon
Theodore
Anderson (maybe)
LaBarbera
McElhinney

Hedberg is a viable option if Marty returns soon.

Of the other names you mentioned, Auld, Biron, Garon, Theo, and LaBarbera are not available. Their teams need them and have no reason to move them. Anderson would cost too much, if only because he was awesome last season. Plus, Colorado may extend him. That leaves us with McElhinney, who stinks out loud and is pretty much on-par with Lalime, and Mike Smith, who posted .900 and .883 as a starter over the last two years. Just imagine what he'd look like not getting regular PT.

Old
02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
slip

Backup goalie?

Add it to the shopping list.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Backup goalie?

Add it to the shopping list.
it has been on the shopping list for along time

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Hedberg is a viable option if Marty returns soon.

Of the other names you mentioned, Auld, Biron, Garon, Theo, and LaBarbera are not available. Their teams need them and have no reason to move them. Anderson would cost too much, if only because he was awesome last season. Plus, Colorado may extend him. That leaves us with McElhinney, who stinks out loud and is pretty much on-par with Lalime, and Mike Smith, who posted .900 and .883 as a starter over the last two years. Just imagine what he'd look like not getting regular PT.
Agreed re: McElhinney...he does staaaaaaankkkk.

You really believe Moose would be available when Brodeur returns? I truly think Lou holds on to Hedberg, as he's really as ideal of a backup as you can have. You'd have to be concerned about Marty going forward even if he were to come back, as injuries are now a more realistic thing to bring up when talking Brodeur.

No thanks to Anderson or Smith. Intrigued at the thought of bringing Telly back, thanks for pulling the statline.

Edit: why are you so sure about Auld + LaBarbera being unavailable? Agreed about Biron and Garon, but the above mentioned two?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Pengo

@Zip

I agree with you about Auld and Biron, but I think the other teams (all West teams BTW) would consider moving their backups if they fall out of the playoffs over the next few weeks. You also mentioned Tellqvist previously, but I haven't heard anything about him being unhappy in the KHL. Besides, he'd have to go through waivers anyway.

Also, I think you're underrating McElhinney. He's been great since he was traded to Anaheim last season.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:01 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Back-up? Priority needs to be a coach that will play his back-up.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:02 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

enroth looked good to me. two ot wins in his first two games

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:06 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
enroth looked good to me. two ot wins in his first two games
I think Enroth is a very viable option, but that leaves Portland in a very vulnerable situation.

Ultimately, I think Lalime gets one more start (mid-week this week) and if he craps out again, Enroth will be called up whenever Buffalo wants to sit Miller, with instructions to the farm that Enroth is to be given off days accordingly.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Pengo

Would it be good for Enroth's development to make him Miller's backup? If not, I would just let him finish the season in the AHL.

Starting Enroth for a few games while Miller rests might be a good idea, but we would still need a more permanent backup.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:16 PM
aceface33

I think that Enroth will probably be up for Tuesday night's game at Montreal. I don't think Portland has another game until next weekend.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I think that Enroth will probably be up for Tuesday night's game at Montreal. I don't think Portland has another game until next weekend.
What makes you think this would happen?

Old
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What makes you think this would happen?
Because I don't think Ruff will start Miller in both games of the back to back and I don't think he'll start Lalime either. However, I was wrong- Portland does have a game on Wed. night- so that might put an end to that theory.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Because I don't think Ruff will start Miller in both games of the back to back and I don't think he'll start Lalime either. However, I was wrong- Portland does have a game on Wed. night- so that might put an end to that theory.
I don't think Portland having a game on Wednesday should preclude Enroth coming up for a game. Leggio has been more than adequate this season (14-4-0, .915 SV%), and he can take the mid-week start. Enroth can fly back to Portland--which isn't terribly far from Montreal--and serve as Leggio's backup for that game.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
barcs

Lalime is 17-9-2 against the Habs in his career. Now would be the time to start him.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Lalime is 17-9-2 against the Habs in his career. Now would be the time to start him.
Plus it's in Montreal. Patty may up his game playing in his native Quebec.

Miller is way too burned out. We need to be able to rely on a backup down the stretch here. Before we can 100% write off Lalime, he deserves one final chance.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote