HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings NOT in the TOP 10+ teams on players no-trade lists.

Old
04-07-2017, 06:25 PM
DATS-O-MATIC

vCash: 500
Wings NOT in the TOP 10+ teams on players no-trade lists.

Got this from the Trade board, however I thought it'd be interesting to see for us DRW fans, as we often hear of how UFA's don't wanna come here or RFA's etc. get traded here. The list is at the bottom, but note that there are at least 11 teams "above" us on the list, if not more, since the list is incomplete & a small sample size of agents data, there is no way to know exactly where we stand.

Jets top the ranks of teams on no-trade lists
Quote:
The fluidity of this list has been quite interesting. In 2015, we polled NHL agents for the first time to get a sense as to which teams are most consistently listed on the no-trade lists of their clients.

It was a fascinating exercise that revealed the insights of players and what they thought of cities. It also angered everyone in Winnipeg and Edmonton.

So we did it again in 2016. And the lists evolved slightly. A team like Toronto was mentioned often in 2015 as a destination players consistently wanted to avoid.

“Toronto is a difficult place to play. … Way too many people trying to cover the same thing and trying to find a different edge,” said one agent two years ago.

Then he added the caveat: If the Maple Leafs ever got good, they would be like the New York Yankees. Toronto would become a destination city for players.

http://insider.espn.com/blog/craig-c...r/post?id=9006

Quote:
How it works: We asked nine agents to list the top three teams most often listed on no-trade clauses. It’s an inexact science, since players often have no-trade lists much longer and other players have a list of teams to which they can be traded. So in some cases, it’s an estimate of teams listed most frequently or mentioned most frequently in no-trade conversations.

The LIST:

We awarded teams listed first three points, second two points and third one point to get the point total.
The list:
1. Winnipeg Jets (22 points)
2. Edmonton Oilers (7 points)
3. New York Islanders (6 points)
4. Arizona Coyotes (5 points)
5. Florida Panthers (3.5 points)

Honorable mentions:
Buffalo Sabres (3 points)
Calgary, Colorado, Columbus, Ottawa, Toronto (1 point)

DATS-O-MATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 06:38 PM
DATS-O-MATIC

If I was a player who had already won at least 1 cup, I'd wanna play:

1. Tampa-no taxes, beaches/weather, Stevie Y, they are close to a cup, but losing Bishop hurts, they'll need to use his money on a #2/3 Dman (Shatty), not sure what their cap situation is...still can't believe they were able to shed Filpulla (sp?)

2. Florida-Miami, lots to do, South Beach, no taxes, beaches/weather, up & coming team, decent core, Bobby Lu is getting up there though, goalies are the easiest position to fill out side of 3rd & 4th liners & 3rd pair dmen.

3. Detroit-the history, & I'm a biased Wings fan so...

4. L.A.-beaches/weather, lots to do, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Pearson, decent core, they could win another cup, their window is narrowing though, they need depth.

5. San Jose-decent team, supposedly a beautiful area, narrow window is now.

HM: Anaheim for the weather/proximity to beaches, but screw the Ducks, '07 cup was a sham & screw Randy Carlyle & Perry.

DATS-O-MATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 12:02 AM
Wood Stick

LA's core isn't great IMO.
Despite everything, the Rangers continue to be a top tier team for luring in free agents from college and on July 1st.
Chicago probably a top five team players want to go to.

Wood Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Marky9er

Why would we be? We give out sweetheart contracts to just about anybody. It's club med.

Marky9er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 08:15 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 622
I doubt we get near the top even if we go through a miserable run here. Detroit isn't strongly considered here and that is before we get the best Arena in the league if what the Ilitch's are promising is accurate. They are basically getting an upgraded version of the Bell Centre...

The suburbs of Detroit remain an incredibly nice place to live. The O6 history and while yes Mike Ilitch has passed his family has been first class in terms of standing around the league for decades now. I don't think players are going to be afraid to hitch their wagons to us. We need to get a little better internally here to eliminate all doubt again. But that new arena in my opinion was the only thing we used to be lacking along with brutal travel taken away by the move east. In a lot of ways this is the most attractive Detroit has been on the side benefits in a long time, it should help now that we aren't an extremely talented team. But hopefully it helps aid the rebuild.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 09:14 AM
ricky0034

vCash: 257
I wonder how much the new arena helps with that

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 10:03 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

It's not a big thing really if you aren't Winnipeg. Teams don't generally suck because players refuse to play for them, teams suck because management makes bad decisions.

Fans talking smack often make it about the cities and areas but in reality you can have a great team in a meh city and you can have a crap team in a great city. Plenty of examples for both.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 10:16 AM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

Were we worried about this?

France Nielsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 10:20 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by France Nielsen View Post
i've seen lots of posts around here about free agents not wanting to come here which is kinda the same concept

Old
04-08-2017, 11:58 AM
mattyboy
What Up With That?

I think one of the reasons Winnipeg tops the list is also due to the blistering cold weather

mattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 01:45 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
i've seen lots of posts around here about free agents not wanting to come here which is kinda the same concept
I think that's kind of a separate worry. When you're putting together the no-trade lists, you're just worried about the worst teams. You want to avoid them at all costs. But when you're a UFA, you're looking for the very best place to go, and Detroit doesn't quite measure up. They weren't a bad option, but they weren't good enough to change anybody's mind.

France Nielsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 02:45 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

We may not be the most desirable but I think all players know how professional of an organization we have.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Vatican Roulette
Baile de Los Locos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
We may not be the most desirable but I think all players know how professional of an organization we have.
Agreed, and that goes a long way.

04-08-2017, 06:27 PM
martinez
Goodbye JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by France Nielsen View Post
Nah, I think it was a babs thing.
History, new stadium, loyalty, gm that will over pay you, fans. I'd be shocked if we were bottom 10 right now

martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

So why do we think players care about new stadiums? I'm not saying they don't, I just never understood it. Like if it was a dead tie between Detroit and the Islanders, we think the stadium breaks the tie?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2017, 07:23 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
So why do we think players care about new stadiums? I'm not saying they don't, I just never understood it. Like if it was a dead tie between Detroit and the Islanders, we think the stadium breaks the tie?
I suppose it would be nicer facilities behind the scenes mostly,whether that's a nicer area to practice or work out or whatever in,or even something like better facilities/more options of things to do for while they're there and wanting to take a break

granted I don't know anything about how most of that stuff compares but I would assume pretty much everything would be just generally nicer

Old
04-09-2017, 06:08 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Having been to Barclay's, yeah, the stadium would break the tie for me if it was between the two (fandom aside, of course).

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Having been to Barclay's, yeah, the stadium would break the tie for me if it was between the two (fandom aside, of course).
Yeah, I mean I deliberately picked the worst arena and now the best as comparisons. Of course, on the flip side, the East coast travel schedule is soooo good. I mean you don't even have to get on a plane for tons of games.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Pizzarena91
hot and REaDy Wings

When is the last time Holland traded for someone that had a no-trade clause? I don't think it effects us in any way other than confirmation that the team's cup window has closed for a long time.

04-10-2017, 10:50 AM
CBJsoldier
Winging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
I wonder how much the new arena helps with that
It certainly won't hurt

CBJsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote