HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Travis Hamonic

Old
02-14-2011, 12:57 AM
ChefTO

vCash: 500
Travis Hamonic

Since I know nothing about him...

What I do know, is that he is playing some great hockey, and would love to see what honest NYI fans see his value as?

What would NYI want for Mr. Hamonic?

ChefTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Edgeworth*

Nothing. Pieces are starting to fall into place for the team and they'd be treading water if they just tossed him for picks.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:04 AM
boredmale

Hamonic is probably our best defenseman prospect(an argument can be made for De Haan). At this point it would be stupid to trade either of them because the future of our defense is still somewhat questionable and they both the 2 most likely to change that. If we draft Larsson this summer De haan might become expendable.

In terms of what I would trade Hamonic for, it would be in a package for a young(25) more established defenseman(maybe somebody who is becoming a RFA and a team rather pay Hamonic on entry level)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:08 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

You can't have him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:09 AM
ChefTO

Thanks,

He's gonna be good!

Old
02-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
Since I know nothing about him...

What I do know, is that he is playing some great hockey, and would love to see what honest NYI fans see his value as?

What would NYI want for Mr. Hamonic?
Too much.

20 year old rookie and already averaging over 20 minutes a night. Kid is a flat out stud IMO.

He really should develop into a very good, physical, two-way defenseman.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:22 AM
boredmale

Quote:
He's gonna be good!
Sort of ironic of all the picks we had in the first 3 rounds of the 2008 draft Hamonic was the least hyped and probably will turn out to be the best of the bunch(while others have already faded into obscurity such as Trivino, Toews, Ness and Niemi)

Later picks like Martin, Poulin, Ullstrom and Donovon might end up being better them many of those earlier hyped picks

Old
02-14-2011, 01:22 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Too much.

20 year old rookie and already averaging over 20 minutes a night. Kid is a flat out stud IMO.

He really should develop into a very good, physical, two-way defenseman.
I agree with you. He is awesome, second best defenseman on the team right now, and he is only 20. Next year he will anchor the second pairing with MacDonald. They are both strong building blocks of our future defense. If the Isles draft Larsson their defense will look very good for the future.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:35 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
I'd prefer Hamonic over DeHaan.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:41 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I'd prefer Hamonic over DeHaan.
Well it's easy to make that call now that Hamonic has shown what he can do for 35 games in the NHL, but most people would have taken De Haan before this season

Old
02-14-2011, 02:05 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Here's your value:

He's 100% untouchable unless you want to make some ridiculous overpayment that can't be refused.

It's just not happening so why bother?

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:09 AM
ChefTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHockey View Post
Here's your value:

He's 100% untouchable unless you want to make some ridiculous overpayment that can't be refused.

It's just not happening so why bother?

So whats your value of overpayment?

Explaining that would have been the reasonable response... don't ya think?

Why bother responding the way you did?

Old
02-14-2011, 05:08 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
So whats your value of overpayment?

Explaining that would have been the reasonable response... don't ya think?

Why bother responding the way you did?
The isles think Hamonic is a developing young stud and will be a big part of their future.

So imo they'd want another young stud.One who they felt had higher upside.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:25 AM
mstad101

I'd give Cody Hodgson n Sergei Shirokov

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Sort of ironic of all the picks we had in the first 3 rounds of the 2008 draft Hamonic was the least hyped and probably will turn out to be the best of the bunch(while others have already faded into obscurity such as Trivino, Toews, Ness and Niemi)

Later picks like Martin, Poulin, Ullstrom and Donovon might end up being better them many of those earlier hyped picks
I recall a number of Islanders fans on here calling the Hamonic choice a wasted pick, which is all the funnier.

As for what the Islanders would want to trade him? Well, I can't imagine they'd have much of any interest in trading him, unless an offer really blew them away. He's young and fits well in the rebuild, is contributing on the team's top pairing now, is now starting to put up some quality points, and is pretty much our only particularly physical Dman. On top of that, he still has more upside left to reach. He's exactly what the Islanders need more of. I certainly can't think of anyone that would fit the team better and would have comparable enough value in a trade that it would make any sense for the other team to offer them.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:27 AM
twentytwo

No one is untouchable. The offer would have to make sense/blow Snow away.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to trade him.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
kasper11

The only way I could see the Isles trading him would be as part of a package for a top young player, like a Tyler Myers. Of course, those players are never available, so there is no way the trade would happen.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
That's not enough. The Isles have prospects.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Hipster Doofus

It'd have to be for a d-man who is more developed but still young to help a it more now but even then I'm not sure if its worth it. Dude has stud written all over him. Rocket shot, physical, good skater, smart, and sticks up for his teammates.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:34 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
The Isles are much deeper in terms of offensive talent than they are in defensive talent. This wont happen, the Isles would need someone with higher upside who is in the NHL, under the age of 26. Really the only way I could see this happening is if a team had a young stud defenseman, and they could not afford to resign him (if he was an RFA) so they inquired the isles about a trade straight up for Hamonic, since Hamonic is still very cheap for another 2 seasons. Even if that were to happen I don't know if the Isles would trade him, with the way he has developed over the past 2 years, he could end up being a star defenseman.

Anyone else realize how amazing that 2008 draft was for defenseman? Schenn, Doughty, Myer, Bogosian, Hamonic, and thats just off the top of my head.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spozm View Post
Nothing. Pieces are starting to fall into place for the team and they'd be treading water if they just tossed him for picks.
This. It isn't just about Hamonic's talent...It's his attitude and hockey smarts. I'm convinced he's a #2 defenseman in the making. The kid just plays the game "Right."

And you can see it not just because he fights as a 20 year old. It's because he knows when to fight. He sticks up for his teammates without hesitation. It's almost as if while he's reading the play there's another voice in his head that says, "Make sure no one is messing with your boys."

I love this kid. One of my favorites already.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:01 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
It'd have to be for a d-man who is more developed but still young to help a it more now but even then I'm not sure if its worth it. Dude has stud written all over him. Rocket shot, physical, good skater, smart, and sticks up for his teammates.
Trading for an upgrade would be pointless considering he's yet to reach his potential. If anything, we need one more of him to solidify the core. Trading him for a forward wouldn't make sense either.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:56 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Zero interest in little Shirokov and I hope Snow would pass, on receiving Hodgson back as the key to a Hamonic trade.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Going nowhere.

Key building block for a rebuilding franchise.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:20 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
The Isles are much deeper in terms of offensive talent than they are in defensive talent. This wont happen, the Isles would need someone with higher upside who is in the NHL, under the age of 26. Really the only way I could see this happening is if a team had a young stud defenseman, and they could not afford to resign him (if he was an RFA) so they inquired the isles about a trade straight up for Hamonic, since Hamonic is still very cheap for another 2 seasons. Even if that were to happen I don't know if the Isles would trade him, with the way he has developed over the past 2 years, he could end up being a star defenseman.

Anyone else realize how amazing that 2008 draft was for defenseman? Schenn, Doughty, Myer, Bogosian, Hamonic, and thats just off the top of my head.
And Pieterangelo, Karlsson, Del Zotto, Sbisa, Carlson and Jason Demers. And that's just the ones who have seemingly lodged themselves in as regular NHLers, not to mention great prospects like Voynov, Larsen, etc. I wouldn't be shocked to see several Norris trophies come out of this draft.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote