HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings talking to the Panthers?

Old
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
HockeyRulez
Panthers..... WIN!

vCash: 500
Kings talking to the Panthers?

In today's Espn Rumor Central, their are a few posts about the Panthers that I thought were interesting. One of the posts suggets that we are talking to the LA Kings, and like many of you guys know their were some LA scouts at the Panthers game. What kind of deal are they talking about? Maybe it's Stillman or Weiss???
(this isn't intended to talk about the rumor, it's intended to talk about what kind of deal LA and FLA could make...)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/featu...tures%2frumors

Last edited by HockeyRulez: 02-14-2011 at 10:42 AM.
HockeyRulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
FlaPanthers7

Any potential deal for Weiss would most likely be in the offseason when teams aren't chasing the playoffs/cup, so they can be more flexible with player movement. I doubt Tallon would just take prospects/picks for our #1 center, so I doubt it's Weiss.

You have to think it's a vet like Stillman or Reasoner, maybe even McCabe, who would add to the Kings' playoff chances of making a run at the Cup.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Pantherfan12

I don't think Tallon is interested In losing Booth or Weiss period! These two are putting up points and are two of our best. We traded Frolik because he didn't fit the mold but I highly doubt Tallon wants to lose either one.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:54 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Any potential deal for Weiss would most likely be in the offseason when teams aren't chasing the playoffs/cup, so they can be more flexible with player movement. I doubt Tallon would just take prospects/picks for our #1 center, so I doubt it's Weiss.

You have to think it's a vet like Stillman or Reasoner, maybe even McCabe, who would add to the Kings' playoff chances of making a run at the Cup.
I would guess it's Booth because 5 scouts seems like a bit much for a guy like Stillman or Reasoner.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:23 AM
HockeyRulez
Panthers..... WIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I would guess it's Booth because 5 scouts seems like a bit much for a guy like Stillman or Reasoner.
great point

Old
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Booth + Reasoner for Schenn?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:45 AM
HockeyRulez
Panthers..... WIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Booth + Reasoner for Schenn?
lol, I wish we could get Schenn.

Old
02-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Erick*

Weiss has a NMC, which limits what the Panthers can do with him. I really don't see him going anywhere, to be honest. He's not overpaid, or anything.

Booth, on the other hand, I can see going. I think he's been pretty bad this year. He's not worth a 4.25 cap hit, and apparently, Santos called out Booth for being one of the bad contracts on the team, at the Town Hall meeting.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Weiss has a NMC, which limits what the Panthers can do with him. I really don't see him going anywhere, to be honest. He's not overpaid, or anything.

Booth, on the other hand, I can see going. I think he's been pretty bad this year. He's not worth a 4.25 cap hit, and apparently, Santos called out Booth for being one of the bad contracts on the team, at the Town Hall meeting.
That's the first I've heard about this. Any other information from the Town Hall(i.e what other albatrosses the Panthers are carrying from management's standpoint)?

TimHortons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:

He'll be very hard to move as the face of the team without something BIG first coming our way. It would be a PR disaster.

We are 10 mil under the cap now i believe, (and pls correct me if im wrong) so cap space isnt the problem right now.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
That's the first I've heard about this. Any other information from the Town Hall(i.e what other albatrosses the Panthers are carrying from management's standpoint)?
I wasn't there, but all the info is on the recent Panthers/Sabres gamethread, I believe. KWGoon who posts here was there, and he provided the info.

Old
02-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
He'll be very hard to move as the face of the team without something BIG first coming our way. It would be a PR disaster.

We are 10 mil under the cap now i believe, (and pls correct me if im wrong) so cap space isnt the problem right now.
Overpaid players don't really help at the end of the day.
Bad contract aside, Booth (the player, himself) hasn't been good this year. And we all know about his history with concussions.

If he's traded, I'd expect an NHL-ready prospect(s) in return, instead of picks. Something like the Frolik-Skille trade.

Old
02-14-2011, 12:52 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:

I think Schenn would be a big enough return for most fans if we could make the deal good enough for LA.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Bad contract aside, Booth (the player, himself) hasn't been good this year. And we all know about his history with concussions.

If he's traded, I'd expect an NHL-ready prospect(s) in return, instead of picks. Something like the Frolik-Skille trade.
Booth has been decent but not 4.2 mil good... i understand your opinion Erick and respect it. I think the reason Booth may survive is one reason...he hits. And DT has taken note. Hes not soft and has not been soft even post concussion.

That said, you suck 10 years no one is untouchable. What im saying is we would need to get a player in return that excites the fanbase. IMHO

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:04 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:

But its a risky thing to trade Booth now. Look at the production of Patrice Bergeron his first season back after a couple of concussions. An even worse yr (64gp 8g 31a) than what Booth is having right now (on pace to score 20+g and 40+pts). Bergeron has slowly but surely regained his scoring ability since then (52 pts last yr and on pace for 65 pts this yr). I wouldnt judge Booth on this season as being overpaid or what he should be able to do in the future.

Next season would be more telling and the key thing of why I dont think he's traded is because he's giving his full effort which is what Tallon expects of his players. Even if Booth isnt scoring, he's at least not useless in other areas like Frolik was. So I dont think Tallon would be quick to trade Booth unless a team is willing to give up more than what Tallon got back with trading Frolik.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Booth has been decent but not 4.2 mil good... i understand your opinion Erick and respect it. I think the reason Booth may survive is one reason...he hits. And DT has taken note. Hes not soft and has not been soft even post concussion.

That said, you suck 10 years no one is untouchable. What im saying is we would need to get a player in return that excites the fanbase. IMHO
Maybe I'm statistically incorrect, but Booth has never had much of a reputation for being physical (hits, etc.). From what I can tell, he's been less aggressive offensively this year (although he's picked it up some, lately).

A big reason why I could see Booth being moved sooner or later is because he's one of the worst defensive forwards on the team. He's messed up badly on several occasions this year, and it's cost the team goals. His +/- actually shows it, too; his defensive play has been poor.

Old
02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I've heard this a few times and i'd like someone to explain this line of thinking, because to me, it just makes little to no sense at all.

IMO, if you have 5 scouts at a game, you're watching several guys, possibly on different teams. No one, not even Booth, warrants 5 scouts and neither do Stillman or Reasoner, but if you combine them and throw in a defensman or two, it makes more sense. They probably just split up the list of guys they had and had each scout watch a couple of guys.

If the Kings have 5 guys watching one or two players, they've got some major mismanagement issues going on. I have to believe that they had a couple players assigned per scout. I think this was more of a "go out there and see who fits the bill best, or who could be of use to us" type of thing as opposed to a "let's all go watch Booth."

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I don't want Booth moved and I agree wholeheartedly with Coolburn that you can't judge this season, but I'm going to bet that he's one of the 9 players with NTC's on this team. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly sure only a few have kicked in, and Tallon likely wants to move out the guys who have them before they do kick in. This team has been way to poor for really anyone to have a NTC.

I think Booth's days are numbered, I just hope they find guys who will have similar chemistry with Santorelli. Olesz, Higgins, Bernier, etc. are all guys I think we all would rather see moved ahead of Booth, but they won't get the same return, either.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:42 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I've heard this a few times and i'd like someone to explain this line of thinking, because to me, it just makes little to no sense at all.

IMO, if you have 5 scouts at a game, you're watching several guys, possibly on different teams. No one, not even Booth, warrants 5 scouts and neither do Stillman or Reasoner, but if you combine them and throw in a defensman or two, it makes more sense. They probably just split up the list of guys they had and had each scout watch a couple of guys.

If the Kings have 5 guys watching one or two players, they've got some major mismanagement issues going on. I have to believe that they had a couple players assigned per scout. I think this was more of a "go out there and see who fits the bill best, or who could be of use to us" type of thing as opposed to a "let's all go watch Booth."
The Kings have supposedly been looking for a goal scoring winger. It should also be noted that Booth is under contract for three more years around 4.5 a year. That's over 13 million dollars that they would be committing to. Getting multiple opinions on a guy who has scored 30 goals once, had a major injury last season, and will be an above average financial investment makes sense. Plus, they probably have an idea what Tallon would want and they need to seriously consider if giving up player/picks w/e is worth it. It seems pretty reasonable to me. LA has one of the top prospect pools so I'd say they know what they're doing and their scouts to do.

You may be right that they're scouting multiple players but it makes more sense to me that they're going after Booth.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
jessebelanger

As I posted in the other thread, I don't think the # of scouts is of any significance.

Most scouts are going to have full time jobs outside of scouting.
This was a Sunday afternoon game, a time in which most with a mon-fri 9-5 are going to be available to drive a couple hours and check out a hockey game. If it was a tuesday night game, perhaps 3 of those guys wouldn't have been able to make it so we're looking at 1 or 2 scouts. The cost to the kings to have 5 scouts there instead of 1-2 was probably only gas + tickets..might as well get as many eyes as possible, even if they're just looking at a stillman or a reasoner.

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Haj

Sweet! More prospects. So when the team is moved to Hamilton they can enjoy the playoffs and the Stanley Cup run while we get 3 more years of ****

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Sweet! More prospects. So when the team is moved to Hamilton they can enjoy the playoffs and the Stanley Cup run while we get 3 more years of ****
Team's not going anywhere.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
If we could somehow get Schenn for Booth+, we HAVE to make that trade. While Booth is a face to this franchise, there are a lot of question marks surrounding him, and his contract could become a problem. Schenn would fit right in to the young core of guys we have here, and with another solid draft, it could be very beneficial to us down the road. Trading Booth would hurt this franchise in the short term, especially how it would affect the casual fans that go to the game, but its us hardcore fans that would realize how good this would be for the team.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:19 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
If we could somehow get Schenn for Booth+, we HAVE to make that trade. While Booth is a face to this franchise, there are a lot of question marks surrounding him, and his contract could become a problem. Schenn would fit right in to the young core of guys we have here, and with another solid draft, it could be very beneficial to us down the road. Trading Booth would hurt this franchise in the short term, especially how it would affect the casual fans that go to the game, but its us hardcore fans that would realize how good this would be for the team.
I honestly don't even want anymore young players. This franchise has ruined so much good young talent and we really won't fair any better in the future.

Schenn will be horrible n this team as many young players have been. It's quite clear the prospect route is not working for this team and never will. It's time for some proven NHL talent. Trade all of the young guys I really don't give a **** at this point. Get some guys who know how to play in the NHL. We ruin every ****en prospect that comes through this franchise there is NO point in continuing down that path.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
I honestly don't even want anymore young players. This franchise has ruined so much good young talent and we really won't fair any better in the future.

Schenn will be horrible n this team as many young players have been. It's quite clear the prospect route is not working for this team and never will. It's time for some proven NHL talent. Trade all of the young guys I really don't give a **** at this point. Get some guys who know how to play in the NHL. We ruin every ****en prospect that comes through this franchise there is NO point in continuing down that path.
Oh, so we can go through another half-assed rebuild? No thanks.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote