HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings talking to the Panthers?

Old
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Maybe I'm statistically incorrect, but Booth has never had much of a reputation for being physical (hits, etc.). From what I can tell, he's been less aggressive offensively this year (although he's picked it up some, lately).

A big reason why I could see Booth being moved sooner or later is because he's one of the worst defensive forwards on the team. He's messed up badly on several occasions this year, and it's cost the team goals. His +/- actually shows it, too; his defensive play has been poor.
I am not sure abot hitting stats, but he engages ever time he plays. its the only way he knows how. Successfully or not he its in the corners boards etc, ive witnessed it many many times. The only thing Ive seen frolik hit hard was the ice after being steamrolled over and over again.

Unless we get a PROVEN 20 plus goal scorer in return i dont see this happening...IMHO

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Boooooth10

"15. Doesn't sound like the Kings will trade Brayden Schenn unless it's total panic. They really like him. Sounds like Edmonton asked about him when LA poked around on Ales Hemsky, and were rebuffed."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-thoughts.html

Well, crap.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Radek4Scoring
Holy Mackenoe!

Send a message via AIM to Radek4Scoring Send a message via Yahoo to Radek4Scoring
i call for Cory to be traded next. i have afeeling.

Radek4Scoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:24 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
I honestly don't even want anymore young players. This franchise has ruined so much good young talent and we really won't fair any better in the future.

Schenn will be horrible n this team as many young players have been. It's quite clear the prospect route is not working for this team and never will. It's time for some proven NHL talent. Trade all of the young guys I really don't give a **** at this point. Get some guys who know how to play in the NHL. We ruin every ****en prospect that comes through this franchise there is NO point in continuing down that path.
Thats just poor thinking, sorry. You cant blame Tallon for anything that has gone on before he stepped in as our GM, thats just idiotic, sorry again. Just because we screwed things up in the past doesnt mean Tallon will now. We cant just go and throw away one of the top prospect farms in the league, because we screwed up before. If Tallon somehow got Schenn, and then had another excellent draft, we would have arguably the top prospect pool in the league, with elite talent at each of the three key positions; forwards, defense, and goalie.

Ive said it a thousand times before, this team will never spend $7+ million on a player. Actually, I wont say never, I will say not until this team builds on its prospect pool, and those prospects lead us to the point where we are that type of player away from getting over the hump. We have to build through the draft, and make some difficult decisions that might hurt us short term. Unfortunately its going to take a couple more seasons before we see the Tallon's "blueprint," and that is something we have to deal with, regardless of what has happened in the past.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:31 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Thats just poor thinking, sorry. You cant blame Tallon for anything that has gone on before he stepped in as our GM, thats just idiotic, sorry again. Just because we screwed things up in the past doesnt mean Tallon will now. We cant just go and throw away one of the top prospect farms in the league, because we screwed up before. If Tallon somehow got Schenn, and then had another excellent draft, we would have arguably the top prospect pool in the league, with elite talent at each of the three key positions; forwards, defense, and goalie.

Ive said it a thousand times before, this team will never spend $7+ million on a player. Actually, I wont say never, I will say not until this team builds on its prospect pool, and those prospects lead us to the point where we are that type of player away from getting over the hump. We have to build through the draft, and make some difficult decisions that might hurt us short term. Unfortunately its going to take a couple more seasons before we see the Tallon's "blueprint," and that is something we have to deal with, regardless of what has happened in the past.
Spending 7million plus on Brad Richards (not saying he would sign here) would make this team a playoff team. Honestly, if I was Tallon I'd give him 8.5 for four years. Season ticket buyers would increase and guys like McCabe might be more willing to take less knowing they'd be on a much more competitive team. There would be so many benefits to having him. Dadanov's production would increase. Weiss would finally be able to play behind a true #1. Our PP would improve. We get a great guy for Bjugstad or Shore to look up to. I'd move Santorelli to his wing and he could probably score 25-30 goals. Our offense would finally be legit.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 02:42 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

A few already forgot about the Booth that started us going "BOOOTH"

He was definately physical before Richards.

...and it sounds like Richards is either staying put or headed for Broadway

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Manbearpig17

Stoll, Smyth, Teubert, Toffoli, 2011 first, 2012 first and 2011 second.
(there is real rebuild value here. So haters, call it spare parts if you must but you'll be wrong)

for

Weiss and Booth

Booth-Kopitar-Brown
Sturm-Weiss-Williams
Poni-Zues-Richardson
Clifford-Lewis-Simmonds

????

Manbearpig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig17 View Post
(there is real rebuild value here. So haters, call it spare parts if you must but you'll be wrong)

for

Weiss and Booth

Booth-Kopitar-Brown
Sturm-Weiss-Williams
Poni-Zues-Richardson
Clifford-Lewis-Simmonds

????
So the Panthers give up their two best offensive players and the Kings give back no NHL ready young players, or any of their top prospects, but instead the only NHL players they get back are the Kings oldest player, and a solid but unspectacular center that is not as good as Weiss or Booth? And the only prospects they get are mediocre? I don't see why the Panthers would do that even with the picks thrown in.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 05:52 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig17 View Post

for

Weiss and Booth

Booth-Kopitar-Brown
Sturm-Weiss-Williams
Poni-Zues-Richardson
Clifford-Lewis-Simmonds

????
Schenn is 100% coming back if you get both.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Spending 7million plus on Brad Richards (not saying he would sign here) would make this team a playoff team. Honestly, if I was Tallon I'd give him 8.5 for four years. Season ticket buyers would increase and guys like McCabe might be more willing to take less knowing they'd be on a much more competitive team. There would be so many benefits to having him. Dadanov's production would increase. Weiss would finally be able to play behind a true #1. Our PP would improve. We get a great guy for Bjugstad or Shore to look up to. I'd move Santorelli to his wing and he could probably score 25-30 goals. Our offense would finally be legit.
Wait for it.....we agree 100%

Old
02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

OK. I'll play along. Let's say the Panthers sign Brad Richards to a big contract. Do you really think he'd make it through the first ten games without a season ending injury? Perhaps another case of the dreaded/incurable Bertuzzi-Kilger-Bitz Syndrome?

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
100% agree.

It would get fans talking about hockey and coming to games and it would make the entire team play better to have someone of that caliber. And we have the money to make the move as long as we allocate it properly. We've needed gamebreaking offensive talent for a decade and fans need something to believe in rather than a "blueprint" that's 2-3 more seasons from potentially coming to fruition.

I'd be more than willing to offer Richards that type of contract.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
100% agree.

It would get fans talking about hockey and coming to games and it would make the entire team play better to have someone of that caliber. And we have the money to make the move as long as we allocate it properly. We've needed gamebreaking offensive talent for a decade and fans need something to believe in rather than a "blueprint" that's 2-3 more seasons from potentially coming to fruition.

I'd be more than willing to offer Richards that type of contract.

Im gonna be the third person to agree with this. Florida has been waiting for the "plan" or the "rebuild" or the "blueprint" to succed for 10 years now (and btw if you havent caught on yet, "blueprint" = "rebuild" in a slightly cuter and euphamistic fashion) and it hasnt worked. Why?? Because it doesnt matter how good your prospects are, it doesnt mean squat until they prove themselves in the NHL. And when you are a team that seems to mismanage/overestimate/screw up your prospects, the likelihood they will be productive NHL players deminishes.

The Florida Panthers need NHL levels players right here, right now. Not NHL players maybe 2 or 3 years down the road. And, guess what, its unlikely that any prospects drafted this year or next year will be SIGNIFICANT contributors 2 or 3 years down the line anyway. They wont hit their prime for 4-6 years. So relying on 20, 21, 22 year olds to pull this franschise out of the duldrums isnt a good plan and isnt likely to happen. I know Chicsgo pulled themselves out of the mire, but they were only immediately helped by 2 or 3 superstar talents, talents that Florida surely does not possess.

Saying "we need to rebuild the right way" or "we need to make sure we have continued success at the playoff level" etc etc is all well and good, but the likelyhood of wining the division for 2-3-4 years in a row is remote, no matter how good of a team you have. Unless you are the Red Wings, its nearly impossible to stay at the top for extended perids of time. So rationalizing that we need to be terrible for 2-3 years so that we can get amazing prospects and be unbeatable for 4 or 5 is a fairy tale. The Panthers need good NHL players right now, to make this team a playoff team, and then the roster can be tweaked year-to year accordingly. Getting into the playoffs consistantly, even at a low seed, is a better plan that shooting for the moon, and hoping 2-3-4 years down the track you will have a bunch of superstars.

Just make the playoffs now!! Its been 10 years!!

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Erick

And Brad Richards would want to sign here because...?

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:47 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Bingo.

The problem is this... up until now, you wouldn't want any UFA that would want to sign here.

Until this team gets better, they won't be able to get the UFAs that will help them get better. That's not a typo.

Old
02-14-2011, 08:49 PM
jakethesnake23

No one ever said Brad Richards will be a Florida Panther next year. It was a hypothetical. You know, where you imagine what would happen.

Old
02-14-2011, 08:52 PM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Bingo.

The problem is this... up until now, you wouldn't want any UFA that would want to sign here.

Until this team gets better, they won't be able to get the UFAs that will help them get better. That's not a typo.
100% disagree. IF, and that was an IF, a very big IF, Florida was willing to submit the largest contract to a UFA, you dont think that UFA wouldnt sign?? Really?? Living in the Florida sunshine year-round? You think athletes dont care about money? Give a UFA the most money and they will sign.

Its just a matter of the Franchise willing to shell out the money.

Old
02-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
100% disagree. IF, and that was an IF, a very big IF, Florida was willing to submit the largest contract to a UFA, you dont think that UFA wouldnt sign?? Really?? Living in the Florida sunshine year-round? You think athletes dont care about money? Give a UFA the most money and they will sign.

Its just a matter of the Franchise willing to shell out the money.
Most high-end UFA's don't want to just hang out in the sun and sand, believe it or not. Most UFA's want to win a cup, and most players don't associate the Panthers with winning the cup.

I'm also sick of this "florida is full of sun and relaxing and blah blah" crap. Tallon is working on changing that and i, for one, can't wait.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Most high-end UFA's don't want to just hang out in the sun and sand, believe it or not. Most UFA's want to win a cup, and most players don't associate the Panthers with winning the cup.

I'm also sick of this "florida is full of sun and relaxing and blah blah" crap. Tallon is working on changing that and i, for one, can't wait.
I think, HJ, he meant that Florida is an attractive place for a FA to bring their young family and raise them in the beautiful area we live in.

thats not a bad thing to mix in the seductiveness for a FA.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Lot's and lot's of money?

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:09 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I think, HJ, he meant that Florida is an attractive place for a FA to bring their young family and raise them in the beautiful area we live in.

thats not a bad thing to mix in the seductiveness for a FA.
True, but the kind of UFA that comes for that reason isn't the kind of UFA you want.

If you have a UFA that wants to go to a team where his skills fit and he has a chance to win... and he has two choices... Misery City or SoFla, THEN the sun can win you the signing.

If he says "well the team stinks but my wife can play tennis year round while I golf all spring... and they are paying me a lot of money to do it"... you don't want that guy.

Believe me. I would love to bring some big name talent in via free agency. I'm just realistic enough to know that, until things change, we won't get the ones we would love to have.

Old
02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
Lot's and lot's of money?

I don't really see the point of grossly overpaying a player, unless that player is the final building block to you becoming a Cup Contender. The Panthers aren't even close to that, yet.

There are other ways to build a winner; hopefully, Tallon is smart enough to do so.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:07 PM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
True, but the kind of UFA that comes for that reason isn't the kind of UFA you want.

If you have a UFA that wants to go to a team where his skills fit and he has a chance to win... and he has two choices... Misery City or SoFla, THEN the sun can win you the signing.

If he says "well the team stinks but my wife can play tennis year round while I golf all spring... and they are paying me a lot of money to do it"... you don't want that guy.

Believe me. I would love to bring some big name talent in via free agency. I'm just realistic enough to know that, until things change, we won't get the ones we would love to have.
Not trying to incite anything but I just dont see many UFAs signing somewhere because its truly a "good fit" and "it gives them the best chance of winning". Its a nice dream to think that players deeply consider whats the best option for their game and their legacy. But I don't think professional athletes are so moral in their thinking. They go where the money is. When they say "Im doing what best for my family", they are basically saying, "Im taking the most money". And its not necessarily a bad thing. I would do it to. Do you think a player would more often than not turn down 1,2 or 3 million more a year just because another team suits them better?? I have a hard time believing it. And if a player has the attitude of

"well the team stinks but my wife can play tennis year round while I golf all spring... and they are paying me a lot of money to do it"...

This guy probably doesnt have wht it takes to even be in the league. Im not sure this player exists. If you are good enough to earn yourself a serious contract, you must be a serious player who is worth the money.

Give the players the money and they will come. Unfortunately, as weve seen for many season now, thats unlikely to happen. So lets look forward to more years of misery!!

Old
02-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Pantherfan12

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, we are afterall dealing with a new GM who actually knows how to win and an owner who seems to want a winning franchise. Of coarse I am not going to be naive here but Tallon did a great job in the draft, he brought in Weaver, Reasoner, and Santorelli which has only benefited us and now Skille, so I do believe in Tallon and I do believe anything is possible. I also believe that Tallon has a good reputation around the league when it comes to his success as a GM and he could convince a guy like Richards to sign with the team and make us more enticing. We also have one of the best training facilities, our arena just put in about 6 new AC units to improve our ice and we do have a promising future.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Sports24-7

I think people overstate players not wanting to come to Florida. South Florida is an attractive market for any professional athlete, and if you don't believe that then you're not paying attention. Just listen to players talk about it. Yes players want to win, but in the NHL a bad team can become a good team quickly. The Panthers have obviously been a loser for a long time, but I think people believe they have the right people in place right now to turn things around. Tallon brings a lot of credibility. Also, at the end of the day money talks. If the Panthers offer a guy like Richards the most money he's going to have to really think about it, especially when there is no state income tax in Florida meaning he'll get to keep even more of his money than he would in most other locations.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote