HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Playoffs...Yes or No

Old
02-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Boose30

vCash: 500
Playoffs...Yes or No

ive been seeing a lot of chatter about people wanting this team to make the playoffs. i was wondering what most of ya'll thought. is it worth it for the team to make it. are they gunna go all the way or should we just play the season out and rebuild for next year to make a run.

personally for me it's a double edged sword. i honestly dont think buffalo would survive past round one if they make the playoffs seeing as they have a substantially worse team than they did last year. however on the other side this is gunna be my last year in buffalo for a while and will be my last chance to be part of party in the plaza which ill miss.

ok now lets hear what u guys have to say...

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:49 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
No ....

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

We're not going to be bottom-5 in the league, so why not root for the playoffs? At the very least it will bring some exciting hockey. At the best we win a round or two. Either way it brings in dough and gets people interested in the team.

I'm 100% sure Pegula wants to make the playoffs.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

yes. why wouldn't I? The difference in draft talent between 12 and 18 I think is so small most years. that yeah, I want the playoffs.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:18 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I will never root for the team to do anything but make the playoffs.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:20 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

I want playoffs but its not gonna happen

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
They'll make the playoffs. And rooting for them to finish 9th or 10th is asinine. The draft position won't markedly improve and we may end up with the same player regardless of whether we draft 13th or 16th.

I think most of the people who want to miss the playoffs want that to happen so that many of their agenda-driven items--fire Regier, fire Ruff, roster overhaul, etc--have a better opportunity of happening.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:55 AM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

As of December I was firmly on the tank bandwagon but that has since changed. I didn't think the necessary talent for the team to make the playoffs was there but I have been surprised by Stafford and the collective group of youngsters inspired play. The team is too good and the young guys are too motivated to finish in a position that will net us a blue chip center prospect in the draft. So in that case theres only one thing left to do...

Win the whole ****ing thing!

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think most of the people who want to miss the playoffs want that to happen so that many of their agenda-driven items--fire Regier, fire Ruff, roster overhaul, etc--have a better opportunity of happening.
I've thought about this, and for that reason I wouldn't mind if we missed the playoffs. Not that I dislike Ruff or the roster (and I'm giving Regier another chance until Feb. 28th), but it would make for an exciting offseason for once.

I still would want to make the playoffs though. We'd be expected to lose to the Flyers, and if so we'd still select around the middle of the draft anyway. But pulling off an upset would be so awesome.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:58 AM
letsgobuffalo16

don't understand bottoming out method. Your goal is to make the playoffs. Too many times the number 7,8 seeds accomplish something. Why bottom out to draft number 10-11?

letsgobuffalo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Playoffs) Yes, but another 1st round exit.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Sabres make the playoffs.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:26 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Make the playoffs?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:27 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

The Sabres will make the playoffs. Or miss by less than 4 points.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:35 AM
gaf
Occupied Territory

The question is, what kind of run can this team put on in the playoffs?

I dont think its much. It's basically the same team as last year. Weaker on the blue line, statistcally weaker in net, and relatively the same up front. They were a number 1 seed and got steamrolled in the 1st round.

Does this team have the compete level to succeed in the playoffs? Does this team have the skill? The toughness? The players that are going to put the puck in the back of the net?

If the roster doesnt change- I'd prefer not to watch - at best- a mediocre playoff performances from this roster. If the dynamic changes- I'm listening.
Does the thought of getting the #13 pick exicte me? F-no, so its kind of a push. With a change in ownership hopefully there will be delusion that this core, and this crew can do it as is. That would be a refreshing change.

Though if they did make it to the playoffs this season w/ the roster as is- I'm very hesitant to buy playoff tickets for 4 home games in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:40 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Everyone who is saying we could get in only to be killed by the Flyers. Who is to say we can't get to the 7 seed and play Tampa? I'd be pretty damn excited if we played them, I think we could certainly beat the Lightning. At the New Year, I was all for tanking, but now I'm definitely rooting for the team to keep winning.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:41 AM
buzzerk

Absolutely, they are in my prayers!

buzzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
My opinion: http://marvalbert.ytmnd.com/

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

If they get in, and Miller and Myers (Myers is showing signs of it already) return to last year's form, coupled with the fact that they'd have to be on a roll just to get in...I think there's a chance we could do some damage. Not a great chance, but a chance nonetheless.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Clock

I don't understand the question - is it worth it for the team to make it to the playoffs? In a vacuum, I can't think of why the answer would ever be "no."

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I will never root for the team to do anything but make the playoffs.

I will always root for this team to win. I may not be as disappointed if they lose, but playoffs > no playoffs. And if this team gets in, who knows, maybe they make a Philly-esque run.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I don't understand the question - is it worth it for the team to make it to the playoffs? In a vacuum, I can't think of why the answer would ever be "no."
Same here

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
ive been seeing a lot of chatter about people wanting this team to make the playoffs. i was wondering what most of ya'll thought. is it worth it for the team to make it.
Yes, of course it is.

It's much better to finish 8th and in the playoffs, than finish 9-11th and just miss, which is what the alternative is here. The difference in draft position is minimal. You're just as likely to get a good player picking at #15 as you are picking at #13. Outside of the top 3 spots or so, there's no sure-fire picks anyway (and sometimes not even then).

Moving slightly up the draft board is not a very good reason not to try for the playoffs.

I don't expect the Sabres to compete for a Cup this year, but there are all kinds of other benefits to making the playoffs. You get at least two (and likely more) sell-out home games to bring in extra revenues for the club, which helps the team's bottom-line. You get valuable playoff experience for your young players, which will help you as you build a contender. And who knows, you might win a playoff series or two. Upsets happen all the time in the NHL playoffs, even 8 seeds knocking off 1 seeds.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Of course I want to see our team in the playoffs but....

my major concern is the trade deadline....

as long as we trade Connolly and get something for him. If there is a short list, get something for the guys not on it. Please market Rivet, Neids, Grier, etc. If we make the playoffs with the kids playing a larger role, it would show character.

All for making the playoffs but utilize this deadline for some dumping, or target 1 player that could help for several years. Don't have the mindset of the past years, do everything just to get in so it helps the bottom line....do something to help this team in the future.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote